Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:52 am 

This is from an interview with John Frusciante from the Red Hot Chili Peppers:<br><br>"He even showed up at a Zappa audition, only to leave the rehearsal room before stepping up to the plate. Cold feet? "Nah. I realized that I wanted to be a rock star, do drugs and get girls, and that I wouldn't be able to do that if I was in Zappa's band." <br><br>And I remember reading that Steve Lukather (from 'Toad-O') failed an FZ audition back in the early 70's.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:48 pm 

Bill Payne from Little Feat auditioned at one time.  In fact, he moved to L.A. for the express purpose of trying out for the Mothers.  He said, "admitedly, my chops weren't good enough at the time".  I can't remember the source I got this from but I think it is correct.<br><br>Also, Col. Bruce Hampton left the Hampton Grease Band in '73 to audition as Zappa's vocalist.  I got that from the All Music Guide.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:53 pm 

[quote author=dean link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#6 date=11/27/02 at 00:48:01]Kenny Payne from Little Feat auditioned at one time.  [/quote]<br><br>Billy Payne?<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:36 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#8 date=11/27/02 at 04:01:06]Don't know if this one counts:<br><br>John Frusciante even showed up at a Zappa audition, only to leave the rehearsal room before stepping up to the plate. Cold feet? "Nah. I realized that I wanted to be a rock star, do drugs and get girls, and that I wouldn't be able to do that if I was in Zappa's band."   ::)[/quote]<br><br>Yes, that's the same thing Studebaker said about Frusciante...<br>But when did he audition, it had to be for the 1988 band i guess, because he was just a kid in those days.<br>He was about 18 years old then, wasn't he ???<br>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:57 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#10 date=11/27/02 at 04:47:12]<br><br><br><br><br>He was 17 at the time of the audition..., must have been for the 1988 band though ::)[/quote]<br><br>So, i guess i was correct about that one....<br>Makes me wonder, what if Frusciante passed the audition and played with Zappa on the 1988 tour ??????<br>Then again, he'd probably never made it, i mean: he was only 17/18 years at the time, and probably didn't have the right ''road rat touring band'' mentality.<br>Remember, it was just a couple of years later when Frusciante left the Chili Peppers because of similar reasons and became a heroine addict............<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:25 pm 

[quote author=Them link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#7 date=11/27/02 at 00:53:51]<br><br>Billy Payne?<br>[/quote]Yeah, I meant Bill Payne.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:46 am 

bill payne is from little feat dummy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:51 am 

also i must add that i am a huge fan of john frusciante, his work on blood sugar sex magik is wicked! his three solo albums are the best, i do think his playing has suffered on the last two red hot chili peppers albums, it seems like he's holding back something. but if you like some crazy guitar noodling get one of his solo albums.<br><br>niandra lades and usually just a t-shirt<br>smile from the streets you hold<br>to record water for ten days

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:41 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#14 date=11/29/02 at 08:50:51]<br><br>I think THEM knows that, but Billy Payne could have attempted an audition and failed, that is what this thread is all about, u dummy !!! :P[/quote]<br>Yes, thank you ZF.  Bill Payne auditioned for the Mothers before the existence of Little Feat.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:33 pm 

This was an interesting thread I dug up on page 37.  Anyone have anymore audition stories?  Success or failures interest me.  Here's drummer David Logeman's:<br><br>dear patrick, here is how i met zappa and got in the band: i heard about the auditions from a friend of mine who was a keyboardist. he gave me frank's management number. i called and they screened me right away. after they found out that i had recorded with mingo lewis of santana, jazz-fusionist jakob magnusson, and had replaced steve gadd in michel columbie's band, they let me come down to joe's garage to audition. there were about five guys there that day. i just went to meet a legend, never thinking i might get a chance to make the band. frank immediately said," you have to have big ears, be able to read, and be able to play rock." there was a drum kit already set up and the band (ike willis-guitar/vocals, ray white-guitar/vocals, tommy mars-keys. and arthur barrow-bass) began to play an odd meter (alternating7/8-3/16 groove) without frank and without any warning or cues. frank handed the sticks to the first guy and said, "play!" i saw what was happening and went to the end of the line immediately. the first guy could not figure out the time signature, so within 10 seconds frank stopped the band and said, "thanks for coming down!" i thought-holy shit! by the time he got to me at the end, i had figured out the groove and i found one and began to play. so, frank asked me to come back the next day. there were even more guys that day! big name guys were coming in from all over-la, new york,etc. i slipped back to the end of the line again. when he got to me, he wanted me to sight read the black page. about 2 lines into it i stopped. frank said,"what's wrong?' i replyed that it was too hard to sight read, but i could probably figure it out. he said that vinnie sight read it and i said, "bullshit. no one could sight read this." frank still insisted. (vinnie later told me that he had memorized it from the live rendition that terry bozzio had recorded). so much for the sight read, but frank said,"you can't read." i insisted that i could and asked to read another piece, which he declined, so i picked another piece of music off of the stack and read it. he liked that and asked me to come back again. the next day, it was-play some rock- no jazz stuff. well, i grew up playing in tons of hard rock bands, so that was a breeze. alot of the other big name guys were jazzers, funkists, studio cats that couldn't do the rock thing. i had been very quiet during all of this, so frank came up to me and said,"do you even want this gig?" i still didn't think i had a chance-not after all the horror stories about how demanding frank could be(he used to be a drummer before he turned to guitar). i told him,"yeah."  then frank calls me days later saying that they were going into full production rehearsals and it was between me and one other guy. he would have this other guy go first and then me. well, the day that they were to start, i get another call from frank,"this other guy cracked. we took a break for lunch and he never came back! can you come first thing tomorrow?" so, i brought my kit and he called out a tune. i didn't know it. frank called another tune. didn't know it. he calls out one more. nope. (i had not listened to him since overnight sensation). frank says,"what do you know of mine?" we played some tunes off of overnight. he tried some new stuff on me and then offered me the job. i couldn't believe it! of course this all came about because vinnie had tried to squeeze a raise out of frank just before a tour and frank fired him. i had to learn a 2 hour show in 10 days! it may not have been the mother's of invention anymore, but it was the brother's of retention! ha! i had a great time doing it, knowing that i would go through the revolving door, but it was the best musical experience of my life. frank was very demanding, but he was honest, fair, and not hard to get along with at all. he treated me great and we remained close even after i went on to do tv and studio work. i am glad that i stopped by his house about 6 months before he died. it was great to pay my respect to him while he was still alive. may he rest in peace.....david logeman <br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:39 pm 

Didn't Jeff Berlin try out for Frank in early '81? If so, what happened?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:02 pm 

Great question.  I looked here:<br><br>http://www.united-mutations.com/123/musicians_timeline.htm<br><br>and couldn't find Jeff Berlin, but I think FZ mentions him in the Real FZ Book as being part of the "Vinnie raise plot" that got Vinnie fired before the Spring 1980 tour . . . something like "Vinnie Colaiuta and Jeff Berlin called the office trying to get a raise, saying 'don't tell the other guys'" so Berlin had to have gotten the gig.  Someone here should know.    <br><br>I really liked JBs work with Bruford and Holdsworth.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:14 am 

I HAVE A BUNCH OF THESE ( caps on whoops ) zappa audition stories in an old uk magazine " guitarist "  - least i did but i had a clearout and could have binned it - it was a no mercy clearout see.<br>anyway, i know belew got a special audition without the requirement to go away with a pile of sheet music, learn it and come back and play - cause he could not read  ". some would say he could not play guitar either - a point of view i would subscribe to. <br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:19 pm 

here's frank talking about what he looks for at auditions: vamp in 21/8, sight read, sing, sense of humor, rythym, etc.<br><br>[sub]Image[/sub]the '79 auditions (1 meg mp3)<br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:35 am 

[quote author=ZF link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#9 date=11/27/02 at 04:47:12]He was 17 at the time of the audition..., must have been for the 1988 band though ::)[/quote]<br>Yeah, it was for the 1988 band, he told me about it when we were talking once outside of MI. He and I were both GIT students at MI in the Fall 1987/88 class. He had this really cool custom guitar with all these comic books pasted to the body and underneath the gloss finish. He told me that he was at the tryouts/rehearsals, Frank saw the guitar and had it in his hands examining it. He told me that he wanted to say to Frank "let me try out" (or words to that effect) but that he chickened out. That's what he told me personally. He might have changed his mind on the spot (about wanting to be a RnR star), but he told me he just chickened out. I believed what he said. I would have been intimidated too.<br><br>I think he was good enough to play in Frank's band at the time, though I don't think he could read very well, so he might not have made it based on that alone. He did know a lot of the hard stuff on guitar...he used to play crazy stuff for me and I was always amazed by what he could play.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:08 pm 

when i saw wackermans drum clinic in like 1998-9, he said that: "he beat out other famous drummers he didn't need to mention..."   we asked him to tell us a couple of names, but he was a gentleman and said it was all about what FRANK was looking for...not necessarily how "good" you were.  he said most drum tryouts, lasted about 30 seconds...frank would hand someone the sticks, say play this...and if he didnt see/here exactly what he wanted to hear in a drummer right away, he'd grab the sticks and say thanks for coming down.  remember frank was a drummer.... 8)<br>(ps: i wonder if steve gadd ever tried out...the reference in green rossetta is just too funny with vinnie doing the "steve gadd fills" in the background over and over again...haha)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:25 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
[quote author=Ronnys_Noomies link=board=rant;num=1033014557;start=0#1 date=09/27/02 at 15:01:11]Zappa's rigorous auditions are notorious. Anyone have any stories about what he had the musicians do?[/quote]<br><br><br>http://www.zappa.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=rant;action=display;num=1070497024;start=0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 am 

Steve Lukather Remembers 'Painful' Zappa Audition: He Tortured, Embarrassed & Humiliated Me
"I tried not to cry. It was just humiliating."

Posted 15 hours ago
Toto guitar master Steve Lukather remembered auditioning for Frank Zappa's band way, way back in the day, describing the whole experience as plain awful. He told Guitar Player Magazine

"See, the way it worked in the old days in your life as a studio musician - it was a hard club to get in. I don't know how I got in, I'm a lucky son of a bitch, whatever. I knew I had to bring it. You study and you wait for the moment, and the moments are not always great.

"I tell the story in my book about my audition with Frank Zappa which really went south. I came to find out from Steve Vai that I was the sacrificial lamb to get rid of everybody else because there was 150 guitar players sitting there for one position. He [Frank] didn't want to audition 150 guitar players, so he made my audition impossible.

"I was the first guy. He tortured me. It's in the book. I go into massive details, I don't want to relive it because it was very painful, it was very embarrassing to me. And it was really scary, because he was not nice to me at all.

"I was 17. I thought, 'That's it, my career is over, I'm not good enough, I'll never make it.' I tried not to cry. It was just humiliating. And I said, 'Fuck it! I'm gonna fuckin' take that energy and I'm gonna turn it into a positive, I'm gonna prove him wrong. I am gonna make it, I am gonna be somebody. And some day he'll know that.'

"I went home and practiced my ass off. I just played. I was just mad. Every guitar player knows what you play when you're mad.

"Sometimes it's great. Sometimes I'll be so pissed off - I walk on stage and I get some bad news about a business deal gone wrong or somebody fucked this up or we didn't get this or we got ripped off, or whatever. Or I'm in pain, my shoulder is killing me - because it's a terminal illness."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... ed_me.html