Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

On a scale of 0-5, how much does the Zappa Forum contribute to your enjoyment, appreciation and/or understanding of Frank’s work?
Poll ended at Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:55 am
0 – Not at all: Zappa Forum detracts from Frank’s work. 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
1 – Barely: it's rare to find anything new and worthwhile. 33%  33%  [ 14 ]
2 – Slightly: something new and worthwhile every month. 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
3 – Moderately: something new and worthwhile every week. 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
4 – Reasonably: something new and worthwhile every day. 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 42
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:55 am 

I just had my 1 year anniversary on this forum and while I still check in every few days, I'm not seeing much reason to do that lately. Between bump orgies and related name-calling, trolling and other unoriginal thinking, I think the forum has lost its way.

But that's just my opinion. I'd like to hear yours. On a scale of 0-4, how much does the Zappa Forum contribute to your enjoyment, appreciation and/or understanding of Frank’s work?

Please comment, give examples of what you like or dislike, offer suggestions, make ad-hominem attacks etc.

FC

Last edited by Foreshortened Cornflakes on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:01 am 

I voted "2 - Slightly". But I don't think that's such a bad thing. I get more Zappa news here than I would in a vacuum (where I usually am, hold your breath!), but I'm mainly here to hang out with the locals and enjoy a few yuks. The Zappa stuff is actually secondary for me, as much as I love his music. I mean, it's been 25 years (since I became a fan), what more is there to say really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:26 am 

I voted "Barely".
I've been enjoying Frank Zappa's output since 1970, so it's rare to find any new info that adds to the pleasure.

On the other hand....I drop in every day. It helps my stay at the ol' workplace seem less regimented. And I enjoy watching (and egging on) the interaction among forum members. I've made a few friends, and one who is more than friend, so I don't consider it time wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:30 am 

Sounds like you're living in a jar, feet, but I see your point, and doug's. The community aspect isn't what I came for. I'd like to see more ideas and creativity here. Ideally, a community thereof. To me, that's what Zappa is about. But I'm not the decider. Let's see what the other campers say.

FC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:45 am 

I voted 0 I'm only here for entertainment, and an occasional opinion of something I haven't heard, when i lived back east plenty of friends were into Zappa, out here, not so much, a lot of slick willy and twang. Besides Jazz and horn music is my thing, I love to argue the trick is to get over it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:14 am 

I like this forum and voted 4. I have listened to FZ since '68, but I fund that there is much to learn. These videos (YouTube type things0 really didn't exist a few years ago, and there is so much product that listening to others causes me to revisit things I haven't listened to in decades.

I consider myself to be well-versed in FZ, but there is always something to learn. He is, in my opinion, one of the greatest musical figures of the 20th Century. Although I may quibble over how the ZFT operates or about how often zappa.com is updated, I enjoy visiting here most every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:02 am 

I have to say that I enjoy my visits every day to the forum, when I ignore those who make it a miserable experience, which is not always easy to do. Or better yet when I laugh at their sophistries. I am not sure I can say much more in depth about Zappa, I have done a lot of that already over the years. I have been logging on here since '03. I am not a musician so I can't really discuss the building blocks of Zappa's music, I can only share my enthusiasm and tell others how the music makes me feel and how Zappa's humor and experimental ways have found a response within me. He's been a part of my life and the way I look at things since I was sixteen years old. And that, frankly is a while ago. I must say I think I get what he was trying to do a lot better than when I was sixteen. He just defied all the conventions of popular music at the time and I was not open minded enough and adult enough to get it. I find I have a deeper appreciation now. So what do I get from the forum now? I've met some people I really like to hang around with on cyberspace and one that I do hang around with in meat life as well as often as I can arrange it. And I have met others in real time and space and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We are a special breed of people here and I think most of us are pretty cool. And have my weird sense of humor as well. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm 

4 – Reasonably: something new and worthwhile every day.

Keep in mind that I've only been a fan for a little under two months though.

Last edited by Jakeobs on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:26 pm 

We missed March Madness this year, our standards are slipping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:08 pm 

Barely...it's just a bunch of stupid bickering!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:14 pm 

Slightly for me. There's sometimes new information from the members who've been FZ fans since they were teenagers, people who actually saw the man play live, some who met him, which I appreciate them posting. It's is really nice to read that kind of thing given that I only really got into FZ around 2003 (I think). Think I've been coming here since about '04...? I can't remember now!
I too, like Sabrina have got to know many wonderful people here, who seem to share the same views and the same outlook on life, not to mention the same sense of humour. Some of them I've met too. I drop in here most days, and again, like Sabs, try my best to avoid the annoying trolling aspect of this place. However, I may be dropping in less in the near future because of my move to pastures new. I think I'll still come in and see what's going on, but probably less so, since I'll have so much to do. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:07 pm 

I would like to add ,I've been looking at this forum may years longer than posting and, that was cause, Studebaker, was very interesting, were the hell is he!!! OH NO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:25 pm 
Banned

Posting here neither adds nor detracts from my enjoyment of FZ.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:51 pm 

I voted 2. Before I registered here two and half years ago, I was already a long term Zappa fan, but I'd been living in Sydney a while and had no friends who were Zappa fans. I missed being able to discuss FZ with friends I'd had in Adelaide. I'd already been checking out zappa.com but that was just mostly static, nothing ever seemed to change.

Then I discovered the forum and initially I learnt a whole bunch of things that I didn't know about FZ previously. That kept it interesting to start with. After that initial burst, it kept being interesting because I became familiar with certain members who had a sense of humour I could relate to. And, it's not just about Zappa. You don't have to be totally obsessed by FZ to want to be associated with people who also like his music and similar pursuits. For instance, it was coming to this forum that initially got me into buying some Bungle stuff and finding out about Secret Chiefs 3.

The worst parts of this forum are the flame wars and Trendmonger. There are good periods and bad and sometimes I have to take a break but largely this forum is a fun place to visit. I think the worse thing you can do is take it too seriously. I was guilty of that to a certain degree as a newbie here, but I soon learnt to take a step back.

I miss Studebaker and Flatulus, but there are still other interesting people visiting this place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:12 pm 

barely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:18 pm 

Foreshortened Cornflakes wrote:
The community aspect isn't what I came for. I'd like to see more ideas and creativity here. Ideally, a community thereof. To me, that's what Zappa is about. But I'm not the decider. Let's see what the other campers say.

FC
If your looking under Randomonium for FZ details you're on the wrong board. The other 8 are more geared to Zappa details and information.
This board has been used for randomonium.

Why don't you give examples of what you expected in the way of creativity
and ideas? Is it limited to FZ?

I think most of us have learned to gloss over the rudeness. There'll always be jerks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 pm 

It goes in cycles. It'll be bitchen for a while; then it'll be shitty for a while.

That's the way it's always been...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 pm 

timm0 wrote:
We missed March Madness this year, our standards are slipping!

It was best poster. I came in 64th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:07 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
It goes in cycles. It'll be bitchen for a while; then it'll be shitty for a while.

Uhm...how recently was it last truly bitchen? If there are cycles, they sure ain't symmetrical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:32 pm 

I'm only here to confer with like-minded fanaskeptasauruses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

yea I think you are right but that is pretty much any online forum. I don't think this forum is really that busy though I go on other forums that are way more active with less members.

As for the bickering lately..it will pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:28 am 

I voted 4 simply because i come in every day or so. I'll admit that the Forum has become somewhat boring the last few weeks, what with the stupid bitching and the negativity. What this place needs, imho, is a NEW RELEASE !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:37 am 

I voted 1.

I wonder how this can go on forever and ever. Can some admin please consider to push the DELETE button in the near future?

Th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:21 am 

Foreshortened Cornflakes wrote:
Sounds like you're living in a jar, feet, but I see your point, and doug's. The community aspect isn't what I came for. I'd like to see more ideas and creativity here. Ideally, a community thereof. To me, that's what Zappa is about. But I'm not the decider. Let's see what the other campers say.

FC

Some things about this forum:
-It's a much more creative place than any other forum I've ever visited. People over here don't seem to spend their time whilst stoned posting idiotic messages.
-Trolls, spam and bumps happen pretty much on any open forum. While this forum doesn't seem to protect itself from spammers, it's not suffering all that much either.
-If you don't like it, you can either start a fun topic, or go to another forum.

This forum has contributed very much in my Zap fanhood. But not so much anymore, I seem to be "there" already.

Post subject: the state of the forum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:16 am 

When I first joined the Forum in 04 I was literally addicted and couldn't get enough of it. I've made some friends along the way; mostly as a result of the parties that I threw. I consider XYQA one of my nearest and dearest and I would have probably never met her had I not extended that invititation for Forumer's to visit my home to celebrate our love for Frank's music.

I've attempted to meet more people via Project/Object and ZPZ shows but I have found that most people want to remain anonymous which is fine by me. I don't need more friends but I always enjoy putting a real face to an avatar whenever others are amenable to that.

Like most relationships, the infatuation period has worn off and now I am left with the day to day B.S. Every now and again I get excited about a topic but those days are few and far between. I'm not a factoid and have never participated in the discussions of the technicalities of Frank's music but I do enjoy many of the topics found in Randomonium i.e. Sleeveface that is different, creative and fun.

The most annoying thing to me is seeing they types of posts that Trendmonger makes. I'd rather watch paint dry or wait for water to boil than waste my time trying to decipher what this guy is attempting to say. As for the trolls, it is obvious to me those folks (you know who you are) need to get a life!

That being said, my post is beginning to get too long now so I will wrap it up.
8)
Debutante Daisy