Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:34 am 

howdy hey!   I was just wondering, not that Zappa fans necessarily represent an accurate cross-section of our societY!!!!!! ha!   I just wanted to poll this community a little bit, What do you folks think about Paul Martin? When his number comes up, how many of you are voting for him?   <br>This matter is of utmost importance to me, if you kindly leave a yay or nay, or any other comments on the matter, thankin yow!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:37 pm 

Good good good....  I am in the midst of trying to enlighten everyone about this fucking scoundrel.  For those too south to know, he is the new prime minister, who basically underwent a hostile takeover of our country, spends his time bashing the last prime minister on such things as his budgets, Which paul Martin drew up in the first place.  But it is his multinational shipping company record which is the most appalling, this guy is DANGEROUS to our country.  He is more right wing than most conservatives!  hiding it with ambivilance on any and all social issues.  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:38 pm 

Paul Martin is the member of parliment for my riding i didnt vote for him then .And now this $250 million dollar scandal he says he knew nothing about. Hey Paulie you were finance minister where the fuck did that bread go. Oh and him not paying taxes he got shell companies . It's a shame he's running the country but hey if not him some other crook .I mean ain't all polticians. Btw i voted for myself,at least i'll tell you what i wasted your money on ha ha.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:52 pm 

Paul Martin is a scum ! No respect for a man who cried on TV about federal deficit budget, asking us to do our sacrifices, while he was not paying a cent on income taxes.<br><br>And what about the 46G$ he took from the welfare funds just to erase that canadian deficit ! No respect for that guy and I certainly won't vote for him. In fact, no respect for that Liberal party, may it be Federal or Provincial.<br><br> >:(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:23 pm 

ya, the Liberal party are conservatives who know how to show off to the left wing.   I actually have high hopes for this next election, even though the rights united, their going so far right they'll tip overthe edge, Canada doesn't vote for religious shenanigans.  And the liberals?   well they've already instilled some PC leftovers into their cabinet, and are scaring off the left wing Liberal voters.  Me thinks while our whole political spectrum shifts right, the voters are all going to shift left.  I'm sure the NDP will pick up some ridings, (not that they haven't done some shady business in the past, but I do still feel their a step up.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:59 pm 

Justin Trudeau challenges actor Matthew Perry to fight rematch

(CNN) Justin Trudeau has three words for actor Matthew Perry: Bring. It. On.

The Canadian Prime Minister wants a rematch of an elementary school fight after the "Friends" star said he beat up Trudeau when the two attended school in Canada.

"My friend ... who was also in the fifth grade in Canada, reminded me that we actually beat up Justin Trudeau," Perry revealed on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" last month.

"We both beat him up. I think he was excelling in a sport that we weren't, so it was pure jealousy."

Trudeau's father was the Prime Minister at the time, so we're not sure what Perry was thinking.

"I think he was the only kid in school that we could beat up," Perry, who describes himself as half-Canadian, told Kimmel. "You know, I'm not bragging about this. This is terrible. I was a stupid kid, I didn't want to beat him up."

Two weeks after Perry made that revelation, Trudeau issued a friendly challenge Saturday.

"I've been giving it some thought, and you know what, who hasn't wanted to punch Chandler? How about a rematch," Trudeau tweeted using the name of Perry's character on "Friends."

Perry hasn't responded so far -- he's probably cowering in terror at the thought of the Prime Minister's security.

Trudeau tweeted about the rematch on April Fools' Day, so there's a chance he may not actually meant it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/02/entertain ... index.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:11 pm 

He'll do anything for personal publicity. Maybe he,ll think that we'll forget his last budget.
Very bad. W
:P e're so in debts !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:09 pm 

File Under: Who Are The Language Police? 8)

Quebec urges shopkeepers to stop saying "Hi"

A bakery in Montreal

The unofficial greeting in the bilingual Canadian city of Montreal has long been a friendly "Bonjour, Hi!"

But that standard is no more since a motion mandating store clerks to greet customers only in French was passed in Quebec's provincial legislature.

The move reaffirms French as the primary language in the province, where use of English can be controversial.

The motion - which is not a law - was passed unanimously, but the province's premier called the debate "ridiculous".

Introduced by the fiercely Francophile Parti Quebecois, the motion "invites all businesses and workers who enter into contact with local and international clients to welcome them warmly with the word 'bonjour'".

"It's about being original and being ourselves, and being ourselves is a major Francophone city with an Anglophone community," said PQ house leader Pascal Bérubé.

"First thing you have to say, I think, is 'bonjour.' It's about respect, it's easy to understand."

Premier Philippe Couillard, a Liberal, objected to the original wording of the motion, which called the inclusion of "Hi" in greetings "an irritant". He accused the PQ of trying to fan the flames of language war and stoke division in the province.

He said the whole debate was "ridiculous", but agreed to vote in favour of the motion once the word "irritant" was removed.

Many in Quebec see their French identity as being under threat. It is the only Canadian province where French is the sole official language.

However, there are also sizeable Anglophone communities within Quebec, especially in the cosmopolitan hub of Montreal.

The Office quebecois de la langue francaise (OQLF) oversees the preservation of the French language in the province - sometimes at the expense of commonly used words.

In 2013, an Italian restaurant was forced to remove "pasta" from its menu because it is not a French word.

In 2016, a restaurant called La Mama Grilled Cheese in Quebec City received a letter from the language agency chastising them for their Anglicism.

This year, the language watchdog quietly loosened some of its restrictions, allowing words like "grilled cheese", "cocktail" and "drag queen" back into the lexicon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
File Under: Who Are The Language Police? 8)

Quebec urges shopkeepers to stop saying "Hi"

A bakery in Montreal

Un Canadien-Québécois-Français-Américain-Du-Nord
https://youtu.be/zDUQef38XII?t=20s

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:16 am 

I knew, even before clicking on the link, what was the video you were posting here.
It's a classic milestone in Pierre Falardeau's filmography.
Pierre Falardeau, who died in 2009, was an ardent fighter for anything Québecois and french.
In this scene, he masters the illusion of some federalist Québecois who don't even know who they are.
The guy picture here goes by the name of Elvis Gratton, a blind admirer of
anything American, mostly Elvis.

As for those battles for French here in Québec...
We're about 6 millions or so in this province whose langage is French.
Lost in a sea of 350 millions or so of English speaking peoples.
We have our own culture. We have to defend it.
We're standing at the edge. We might sometime be a bit uneasy.
But we have to keep fighting if we don't want to vanish.
I think that's what normal folks would do.
It might sometimes looks like ridiculous battles of words.
I sometime think this is. But I understand the reasons why.

You have my "Bonjour ".
8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:34 pm 

. . . .
. . . . Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:58 am 

Canada could make billions from legal pot

Canada faces one last hurdle to becoming the first G7 nation to legalize recreational marijuana.

Canada's Cannabis Act was introduced in the Canadian Senate Tuesday, its last legislative stop. The bill enjoys wide public support and the backing of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

more here :arrow: http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/02/news/ca ... index.html

8) By the way, medical cannabis sales in Maryland finally began this weekend, after a 4-year delay. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 pm 

Stop killing seals.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:47 pm 

BBP wrote:
Stop killing seals.

Why ? They are not endangered in any way. The Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) regulates the seal hunt in Canada. It sets quotas (total allowable catch – TAC), monitors the hunt, studies the seal population, works with the Canadian Sealers' Association to train sealers on new regulations, and promotes sealing through its website and spokespeople. The DFO set harvest quotas of over 90,000 seals in 2007; 275,000 in 2008; 280,000 in 2009; and 330,000 in 2010.[2] The actual kills in recent years have been less than the quotas: 82,800 in 2007; 217,800 in 2008; 72,400 in 2009; and 67,000 in 2010

It basically cost more to regulate the hunt than the actual return. It does however sustain a human population on a bleak and cold island in the middle of the gulf of St Lawrence.

The harp seal population is in no danger from human hunting. The white babies covered in blood does however make for excellent copy, for which Green Peace, of course made a Killing back in 77.

"In 1978, marine ecologist Jacques Cousteau criticized the seal hunt protest: "The harp seal question is entirely emotional. We have to be logical. We have to aim our activity first to the endangered species. Those who are moved by the plight of the harp seal could also be moved by the plight of the pig – the way they are slaughtered is horrible"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:59 am 

But if you kill the seals, what do the polar bears eat?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 am 

there's only 1 thing that human beings can do
and that's kill.
they do that exclusively well and better than any other species.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:45 am 

BBP wrote:
But if you kill the seals, what do the polar bears eat?

The "commercial" seal hunt (in Canada) happens in the Gulf of St-Lawrence. Last Polar bear sighting south of James Bay was probably about 18000 years ago. The only predators eating seals are Orcas and sharks. Seal meat is not very good tasting. But those little white boots! man, they are sooooo nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:00 am 

And Orcas and sharks, maybe not as adorable but they like to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 am 

Meanwhile in Montreal....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/12/03/vast-network-of-ice-age-caves-discovered-under-montreals-saint-leonard-borough.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
there's only 1 thing that human beings can do
and that's kill.
they do that exclusively well and better than any other species.
You're killing me ...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm 

Mosquitoes are stil better at it...