Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: little feat biotch!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:10 pm 

tell me who loves the first 3 little feat albums. i could stretch it to the fourth but actually the first two albums totally kick ass, lowell george and roy estrada! ... cold cold cold. anyway, i tried getting my dad into them but i dont know if he really dug it, you know because he likes that country shit but little feat is like rock n country sort a like messed up. whats got inta ya?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:37 pm 

i've only heard a few tracks but what i heard i REALLY liked!  i have a 45-minute Lowell George radio interview from 1974 on tape that has parts of "Willin'", "Cat Fever", "Feats Don't Fail Me Now","Tripe Face Boogie", "Spanish Moon" and a couple of other tracks I couldn't identify.  i was surprised how much i liked them, as i had little to no expectations.<br><br>is this the good stuff or does it get better than this?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:50 pm 

the first four albums are really the best, after that it kind of seems like lowell got sluggish and the other band members did more, (i dont think they were very talented or exciting)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:40 am 

Spanish Moon is a really great song!  It makes me think that Lowell was influenced by Zappa a little.  I've read some interviews in which he kind of quasi-insulted FZ.  I think he called him the "Lawrence Welk of rock".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:48 pm 

They're my dad's favorite band. Not really my style.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:49 pm 

[quote author=Klaatu link=board=rant;num=1038031854;start=0#4 date=11/23/02 at 12:40:36]Spanish Moon is a really great song!  It makes me think that Lowell was influenced by Zappa a little.  I've read some interviews in which he kind of quasi-insulted FZ.  I think he called him the "Lawrence Welk of rock".[/quote]<br><br>Lowell played with Zappa. He played rhythm guitar on Hot Rats, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, and a few others. Also, JCB thought of the name "Little Feat".<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:07 am 

I bought the renewed issue of Waiting for Columbus about 2 months ago....<br>It's a double album now, with the original album on disc ONE and encores and out-takes on disc TWO.<br>I think it's a great album, although it has been enhanced quite a bit, but apart from that it's a great album, great music, great vibe.....<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:44 pm 

You mention Little Feat and don't bring up Sailin' Shoes or Dixie Chicken (from which the Dixie Chicks got their name) ???!! Appalling. LOL. love that band.......

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:37 pm 

I've had 'Feats don't fail me now' for a while and I really like that one. Just bought 'Dixie Chicken' which is currently getting a lot of listens. I'll report back when I've made up my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:18 am 

I bought Waiting for Columbus on an impulse buy a few months ago and really enjoy it. I also have a Lowell George solo album called Thanks I'll eat it here which  have only listened to 2x cos I aint that impressed. But I'm going to give it another shot when Bach's cello suites have finished playing in my Cd player.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:46 am 

little feat are definetly one of my favs. especially thse early lps. regarding waiting for columbus , in this months mojo magazine in the uk they have a listing of the top 100 drugs ( sorry ) related songs and inexplicably dont bogat that joint is not among them, i dont know why, but i think its the best .<br>mungo.<br>ps. i heard that lowell george died of being fat - is this true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:05 pm 

[quote author=mungo link=board=rant;num=1038031854;start=0#14 date=12/03/02 at 13:46:08]little feat are definetly one of my favs. especially thse early lps. regarding waiting for columbus , in this months mojo magazine in the uk they have a listing of the top 100 drugs ( sorry ) related songs and inexplicably dont bogat that joint is not among them, i dont know why, but i think its the best .<br>mungo.<br>ps. i heard that lowell george died of being fat - is this true.[/quote]<br><br>I heard he had a drug-induced heart attack.  But I don't think being overweight helped any.<br><br>Also, Greggery Peccary, I did know Lowell was with the Mothers, I just meant that I think Lowell down-played FZ after he left the group, but songs like Spanish Moon show Frank's influence.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:52 pm 

[quote author=mungo link=board=rant;num=1038031854;start=0#14 date=12/03/02 at 13:46:08 <br>ps. i heard that lowell george died of being fat - is this true.[/quote]<br><br><br>i'm pretty sure lowell died from hard living and sweet china white.  a heart attack was given the credit tho'.   i saw little feat the year before george died,  in madison wi.   this was shortly after waiting for columbus was out,  most of the material was similar to that album (which i love).   i also like  the first 5 records best.   if you can find it, a double album called "hoy hoy!" is a nice little introspective, which includes a couple rarities..( a killer live "teenage nervous breakdown".     <br><br>anyway,  feat's been a favorite of mine for 20 years, i recomend all the early stuff to everyone....<br><br>rd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:53 pm 

and sorry everyone,  i seem to have trouble with this yabbc format,  cant figure out properly how to use the quote thing.  <br>any one who feels like educating this dumb al over american macintosh use pleae feel free....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:58 pm 

[quote author=agency_man link=board=rant;num=1038031854;start=0#0 date=11/22/02 at 22:10:53]tell me who loves the first 3 little feat albums. i could stretch it to the fourth but actually the first two albums totally kick ass, lowell george and roy estrada! ... cold cold cold. anyway, i tried getting my dad into them but i dont know if he really dug it, you know because he likes that country shit but little feat is like rock n country sort a like messed up. whats got inta ya?[/quote]<br><br>and also agency man.   i do just love the first 3 little feat records.  <br>strawberry flats,   willin'  ,   44 blues ....   <br>whew.  <br>p.s. -  i had a bird named after lowel george in the late 70's.   <br>he was great!!!<br><br>rd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:43 pm 

reednzl, i cant use the quote thing either - what do you click. it took me a week to figure out how to get my messages - i had one and was really excited - when i managed to get into the message thing it turned out to be a message i sent myself saying i was drunk and real dumb, which is true.<br>mungo - help me.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:32 pm 

Hey put on those Salin Shoes after Zappa, Little Feat is my favorite band. Lowell George was a great song writer. Even the newer little Feat stuff is great  A band that never made a bad record in my opinion.  but hey what  is my opinion worth anyway . oh got to go check on the fatman in the bathtub  , i think i hear  Juliette calling

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:26 am 

The surprise band Jimmy Page once called his "favourite American group”

18 hours ago
Lee Thomas-Mason

Jimmy Page, the now-iconic guitarist and founder of the rock band Led Zeppelin, has traversed the world of alternative, popular and contemporary music for the better part of six decades. Considered by many to be the creative spark behind a large majority of Led Zeppelin’s material, Page’s pioneering work with the guitar changed the landscape of music as we know it today.

Having formed an uncompromising creative unit alongside Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, Page went on to rub shoulders with some of the greatest artists to ever impact the music industry. “I believe every guitar player inherently has something unique about their playing,” he once commented. “They just have to identify what makes them different and develop it,” he added. It is that sentiment that has seen Page chew the fat with some of the most iconic names, from The Beatles to The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and countless others.

Given the fact that Page has been actively working in and around a slew of recognisable faces, the Led Zep man has never been shy about throwing around his admiration for certain guitarists. “Out of all the guitarists to come out of the sixties, though, Beck, Clapton, Lee, Townshend and I are still having a go. That says something,” Page once noted when asked for his favourites. “Beck, Clapton and I were sort of the Richmond/Croydon type clan, and Alvin Lee, I don’t know where he came from, Leicester or something like that. So he was never in with it a lot,” he added. “And Townshend, Townshend was from Middlesex, and he used to go down to the clubs and watch the other guitarists.”

During the same interview, Page added: “The other guitarist I started to get into died also, Clarence White. He was absolutely brilliant. Gosh. On a totally different style—the control, the guy who played on the Maria Muldaur single, ‘Midnight at the Oasis’. Amos Garrett. He’s Les Paul oriented, and Les Paul is the one, really. We wouldn’t be anywhere if he hadn’t invented the electric guitar. Another one is Elliot Randall, the guy who guested on the first Steely Dan album. He’s great.”

While rolling off a list of esteemed guitar players that he admires, Page casually dropped in the nugget of information that he considers the longstanding and somewhat cult band Little Feat as his “favourite American group” of all time.

The band, formed by singer-songwriter, frontman and guitarist Lowell George alongside the keyboardist Bill Payne, started their genre-melding outfit in 1969 in Los Angeles. Combining elements of blues, folk, rock and roll, soul and the lesser-seen elements of a genre defined as ‘swamp pop’, it’s little surprise their material tickled Page in all the right ways. If you add all that into the mix, along with the fact that founding member George quit Frank Zappa’s band Mothers of Invention to form the group, you’ve got yourself a bizarre yet brilliant combination.

The band, who gathered supporters with every performance, relentlessly attempted to break down barriers both on the stage and in the studio. “Lowell used to do this thing with cassette tapes where he would take the tape and cut and splice it together, not knowing what was going to happen,” Feats guitarist Paul Barrere once explained. “[On ‘Rock & Roll Doctor’] there was like a couple of measures that were 3 1/2 beats instead of 4 beats and he would hand the tape to [keyboardist] Billy [Payne] and say, ‘Normalise this.’ I think within the framework of the verse there’s a 6/4 measure, which is probably why we didn’t get a whole lot of airplay on jukeboxes. If people try to dance to it, it’s like they’re on the wrong foot!”

However, as is normally the way with feverishly creative people, Little Feat was rife with bitterness, infighting and discontent. Despite being adored by some of the biggest names in the business, they struggled to properly reach the heights of major critical success. “It’s not entirely wrong to say Lowell was the leader, but then one has to lead,” Payne once said of the band. “He was fine for a while, but he didn’t have the capacity or the sense of responsibility. He’d do silly things like lose master tapes and he took too many drugs. He was like Jerry Garcia. He’d disappear for weeks at a time on some binge and then come back in reasonable shape. ‘Oh, you’re back! Great!’.

Needless to say, the issues would end up being too great to deal with. George took the decision to end the band shortly before his death in 1979, citing creative differences as the reason. However, the surviving members reunited in 1987, and the band has remained active to the present.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/led-zeppel ... rite-band/