Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:51 am 

Scott posted this on Facebook:

" I met Andy back in San Francisco when his band regularly played at The Mabuhay Gardens. I have a friend named Ed Berman (Anybody who knows 'The Scott Thunes Story' knows that Ed was instrumental in getting me the gig with Frank in 1981) who played drums with him in his band Eye Protection. Ed got me several drum tech gigs over the several bands he played in and that got me other tech'ing gigs and eventually getting hired to be in the local band the Readymades. Andy left SF and disappeared from my life until one day in Los Angeles. I lived very close to the most socially-active part of Melrose and on the corner of the street I lived on (Martel) is a hipster art gallery called La Luz de Jesus. Andy worked there but was also in Wall of Voodoo and was also writing songs for spec. I saw him at my coffee shop - Double Rainbow where I spent pretty much 90% of my Los Angeles time when not 'working' in music - and I said hi, he said hi, I asked him what he was doing and he said he was playing at the Roxy that week with WoV and I should come. I went, we hung out, I enjoyed him and his band (I of course already knew and loved them before when Stan sang for them) and we continued to hang out for a while. At one point he said he was recording songs almost every night and I offered up my services. He rejected my help out of hand but I pressed him and he said he couldn't afford me, that all his songs were recorded as demos and he could only pay demo fees. I told him that was great, he said 'really?' and I said yeah, I'm not doing anything important right now and he said 'great' and so for several years I was a part of the Andy Prieboy Army, and spent many very late nights recording at lovely recording studios and hanging at his house near downtown. I love him and miss him terribly, even though we are both still alive, I think he had done a lot to distance himself from his past and so we're both just living our lives, but that was a wonderful part of my LA history, and definitely a large number of my favorite memories are from that time. Top was probably being an actual member of Wall of Voodoo after the bass player was fired, playing the John Anson Ford theater with Mike Keneally opening for us on keyboard. Bad memory of that is the fired bass player later stealing all the equipment from the storage facility and my losing an entire Carvin Bass rig. Best memory of that is the guitar player, Marc Moreland, giving me his MXR Blue Box - the thing that made Marc 'Marc' - after the gig. I'm so sorry he died. I really loved and respected him. So, yeah: Andy!"