Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Instrumentals/Lyrics/Sex
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 am 

First Post!
I (being 62) spent a lot of time in my 20s (and late teens) trying to inform/educate people unfamiliar with Zappa of his genius and importance in the musical world.
I LOVE his instrumentals. Yes- his guitar solos are great and the jamming his musicians do is good. BUT- I am referring to his composed instrumentals: Peaches-Toads o t Short Forest/Uncle Meat/RNDZL. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . etc. . . . . . . . . .and so forth. . . . . . . . . . . and so on. . . . . . . . . . dot dot dot.
So when Fillmore East- June 1971 came out (just about my favorite Zappa Band- 'cause Aynsley), I had to contend with asinine lyrics like "Talkin 'bout your haemorrhoids, baby, and "Gooey piles, Baby", and "shoved up and down a donkey's ass until he can't cum anymore..." . . .

And then the onslaught of lyrics that seemed to be a combination of really sophomoric tinged sex lyrics and outright disgusting just for the sake of being disgusting lyrics infiltrated his music. It was like the Downfall of the Zappa Empire to me.

I've had a hard time with this issue.

If I could go back in a Time Machine- I'd leave Hitler alone (no- I'm not a Nazi!)- instead I'd hypnotize Zappa to prevent him from ridiculous pimply 15 year old level sex lyrics.

Yup.
That's what I'd do.

I once made a tape (remember tapes?) of strictly instrumental Zappa and labeled it "No Foolin'".

I'm not totally against Zappa with words- "Dog Breath", "Oh No", "Your Mouth", "Inca Roads"- are great. Inventive- funny, bizarre.

It's a dead issue, I know. But it is nevertheless my first post (and topic) on Zappa.com

Welcome, me.

Hello, world-o-zappafans.

Kurt in Maine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:59 am 

I’ll agree with you on the point that the composed instrumentals are my favorite component of Zappa’s canon. However, I might have not got to that level of appreciation if I first hadn’t been attracted by (in part) the lyrical and comedic aspects as a fifteen year old listener in 1976. Mind you, I loved the way the music sounded and the unique melodies. Hearing Ruth’s vibes playing those melodies for the first time was a real ear opener too. Having said that I like all of it (the guitar and band solos, compositional dexterity, social commentary, and humor (smutty or otherwise). Sure, I’ve got my favorites but I’m not throwing any of it back. I’m sure a bit of that fifteen year old boy who loved the story of Dinah-Moe Hum and the Mudshark still resides within me.

Welcome aboard, Kurt! But the next time you go back in a time machine go ahead and kill Hitler and abort the birth of the current American President but leave Frank’s catalog alone!