Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Okay, I've been talking about using Echidna's Arf for practice on and off for years now, so I thought it was time I produced a video. I play it solo on the guitar and have never had any intention to produce a full band version, so I've kicked around several ways of playing it, none of which was ever totally satisfying, until I eventually came up with an arrangement for picked classical guitar. I hope someone likes it.

man, that was really impressive.

I play the guitar, but I could never master anything like that.

I will just stick to playing the blues... 8)

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What can you play?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:42 pm 

Oh yeah, ne too...
Ever wonder why we use minor pentatonic over major chords ?
:?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:48 am 

Thanks LG.

Mij, there are myriad dimensions to the blues and probably a lot of disagreement about just exactly what it is, but it's evolved over a long history. One of the traditional ideas involved semitone bends, bending the minor third into the major third a typical one. Hendrix liked using that chord, that goes by various unnecessarily complex names, that you can get easily by playing the full E major chord in open position but holding your pinky over D and G on the B and E strings, so you've got the major third G# and minor third G sounding at the same time, a very grungy blues sound. Whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:50 am 

Now you're talking about that 7#9 chord in a E chord position.
(I remember, when I was young, having seen it described as 7b10 !)

Improvising in a minor fashion over a major chord seems natural today.
When you improvise in a major fashion over a major chord, it sounds "country".
A bit like the start of the solo in "Can't get enough of your love" from Bad Company.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 pm 

Something has happened with this latest video of mine, that hasn't happened to me before. A copyright claim has been made by three companies: LatinAutor, Kobalt Music Publishing, UBEM. The claim is a composer* claim, not a content claim, of course. It's most likely that these companies are being used by the ZFT to hoover up ad revenue, etc, from web sites like YouTube.

Somewhat tongue in cheek, but should I take this as a compliment? My channel is not monetised and even if it were, the biggest number of views I've had on a video is 317 and that one has been out there almost ten years. I find it hilarious that they're coming after me. I am planning, at some point in the future, to set up some music channels, but only to publish and sell my own music and not using ads.

Has anyone here ever seen any ads on any of my videos? I've been assuming that there shouldn't be any, but YouTube has been going down hill in that department for a while now.

Note * In the case where an artist is not plagiarising a composer's work, copyright claims come in two basic forms. Content copyright involves using recordings by the original composer and composer copyright involves performances of a composer's work. Using a composer's content must be licensed, but composers cannot prevent people performing arrangements of their work, so long as the performer gives appropriate credit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:00 pm 

The whole thing about spying if somebody somewhere is playing a Zappa tune is beyond me.
Mainly when the performer is not gaining money in doing so.
Performing music of a guy who died almost 26 years ago, and whose music is very rarely
played in medias (radios, tv, etc...) should, I think, be considered as a way of making his music
reach peoples who wouldn't be reached otherwise. And, who knows, boost the sales of his work.
At the very least, it keeps Zappa's name alive.

But, on the other side, I guess they have the right to control.
Although, like i said, it's beyond me why they should do this.
What's the gain ?
:?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:36 am 

polydigm wrote:
I'm sorry to hear it mate. I've tried playing guitar left handed and it's just ridiculously difficult - way more difficult than I remember when I started as a right hander. How did you damage your finger?

Doctor wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture

when my little finger started to curl I thought it was age related arthritis, during a check up the doctor spotted the stiff little finger and told me about Dupuytren's contracture, off too the surgeon and after a painful pill popping three weeks as an angry one armed man there was almost zero change to the digit, I wish I could say the same for my bank balance. The surgeon has said he was a little cautious with his cutting verses scar tissue ratio "of course that is your fault for leaving it so long Mr. Ghost" and he wants to have another crack. He's booked up for Month's but I'm on a list and playing a little less guitar and a lot more bongos :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:50 pm 

Condolences man, this would break my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I'm sorry to hear it mate. I've tried playing guitar left handed and it's just ridiculously difficult - way more difficult than I remember when I started as a right hander. How did you damage your finger?

Doctor wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren%27s_contracture

when my little finger started to curl I thought it was age related arthritis, during a check up the doctor spotted the stiff little finger and told me about Dupuytren's contracture, off too the surgeon and after a painful pill popping three weeks as an angry one armed man there was almost zero change to the digit, I wish I could say the same for my bank balance. The surgeon has said he was a little cautious with his cutting verses scar tissue ratio "of course that is your fault for leaving it so long Mr. Ghost" and he wants to have another crack. He's booked up for Month's but I'm on a list and playing a little less guitar and a lot more bongos :lol:

Be careful Grey you could end up with Bongo Finger... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:11 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Be careful Grey you could end up with Bongo Finger... :mrgreen:

Gray's basement.