Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What can you play?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:15 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Anyone on the internet charging money to show you how to play someone else's song is an asshole.

i don't pay to view/learn from any youtube guys.
some of them may ask for it, but it is not required in order to view their lessons/tips.
that may make them assholes. that is fine.
i don't have to converse over breakfast or share a sleeping bag with any of them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:11 am 

I've been learning King Kong (main melody riff) from online tabs. However, it doesn't sound right. Most all of the tabs are purloined from the Uncle Meat booklet, and there are differences...anyone got the "correct" guitar tab.?

Btw that is an excellent fingering exercise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:37 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I've been learning King Kong (main melody riff) from online tabs. However, it doesn't sound right. Most all of the tabs are purloined from the Uncle Meat booklet, and there are differences...anyone got the "correct" guitar tab.?

Btw that is an excellent fingering exercise.

I remember trying to learn that from tabs some years back. I'll revisit it and we can compare notes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:37 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Anyone on the internet charging money to show you how to play someone else's song is an asshole.

What if they weren't on the internet; but referred by a friend, so you went to a music store and paid $12.50 per/half hour to learn bass scales, but then your ask them to show you how to play "Your My Best Friend" by Queen, back n 1994.

A-hole?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:26 pm 

coevad wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

What if they weren't on the internet; but referred by a friend, so you went to a music store and paid $12.50 per/half hour to learn bass scales, but then your ask them to show you how to play "Your My Best Friend" by Queen, back n 1994.

A-hole?

The nerve of those music instructors, teaching people how to play pieces of music, AND wanting money for it? Disgraceful!! :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:15 pm 

^ sure is a downer, idn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

What about that thing I saw on Shark Tank that you attach to the guitar neck and you learn the song, does it work as good as they say?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:22 pm 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:

A-hole?

The nerve of those music instructors, teaching people how to play pieces of music, AND wanting money for it? Disgraceful!! :P

I'm talking about assholes who are going to take your money over the web to show you how to play a song written by Jimi Hendrix or whoever. They have no right. Hendrix most likely would have shown you for free. Non assholes show you these things for free. I'm not talking about music teachers. There are many generous and much loved music instructors and professors. But there are those who want to keep music a secret so they can exploit earnest students.
Think of all the money you would have saved if you had the internet in 1994. That page I posted covers a lot of scales. I'm sure there are those out there who want to hide that knowledge so they can charge you for it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:03 pm 

There are no secrets (especially these days since the internet). Everything is there for anybody who wants to access it. Some people want or need an intermediary to direct it though and if there is somebody out there to provide that service then all the power to them. Participation is optional.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:45 pm 

What would you think is the best, learn the music or understand the music ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:47 pm 

Mij wrote:
What would you think is the best, learn the music or understand the music ?

Both?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 am 

Don't you consider one better than the other ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:20 am 

no.
whatever keeps one excited and coming back to the instrument(s).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
no.
whatever keeps one excited and coming back to the instrument(s).

Well, OK.
I regret not having working more on sight-reading. Yeah, I do.
Nevertheless, I played with musicians whom without music sheets can't play a note.
Turn off the light, they're doomed.
(specially those sax, trumpet, and trombone players ! ????)

At least, I understand what I'm doing. I can improvise.
So, turn off the light !
:mrgreen: 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:50 pm 

I've been playing guitar all my life and have attained a fairly advanced level. I took up piano later on as it's a very useful composing tool and am becoming a fairly competent mid level player. There are many of my compositions that I started on the guitar that stagnated there and then really blossomed on the piano and as this process has developed I've been doing more and more composing at the piano.

I've recently resurrected my music studio and I'm now working almost full time on producing my compositions. I aim to eventually involve other musicians, but first I want to master the studio and get on top of a properly organised repertoire. This partly involves using a decent studio synthesiser so I got myself a Roland Integra 7, but I also want as much live feel as I can get so I'm also working on playing other instruments.

I've had an alto sax for a while although I didn't get very far with it due to serious illness, but now I've taken it up again with gusto along with a new baritone sax obtained in March this year, with which I fell instantly in love. I've been able to record a few useful parts with them both in two of my music projects already. I've also got myself a trumpet, which is very hard to play compared to the saxes, which I find very natural, but I'm making enough progress to sample a few simple phrases and grooves which have been useful in one of my music projects so far.

The most important new instrument to me, though, is the drum kit I bought back in March. Most of my practice time has been going into the drums. I have six mics on it going through a mixer, with the result mixed down to a separate stereo track in my music projects and I've already used it in three of the shorter ones and am almost on top of the drum parts for two of the longer ones.

Guitar and composition remain my primary skills and I'm obviously not going to become a highly skilled player of these other instruments, but I've only been doing this since the last week of March and they're already massively impacting the way I think about and produce music. Other than a couple of specific projects related to maths and physics, this is it. I'm dedicating the rest of my life to music, for richer or poorer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:34 am 

^^^^^ Nice! ^^^^^

I've been contemplating getting a drum kit of some kind, I had a pair of "decorative" bongos that I fumbled about with for a while without much success, then I saw the Zappa salad party home video clip with Terry Bozzio getting down with his bad self, that triggered something and I bought a nice pair of serious bongos, added another dimension to whatever this is that I'm doing in my secret basement.

A month or so ago I was out visiting some folks who had some extended family visiting, things got a little musical and someone had a mandolin.....So now I've got this mandolin and a mandolin for dummies pamphlet, my brain hurts but I'm having a great time noodling around with the new sound.....

Terry Ted's about 18 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKXEvN ... rt_radio=1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:49 pm 

Secret basement? :shock: :mrgreen:

I wonder if those salad party videos will ever see the light of day in an official release?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 pm 
Banned

polydigm is the master of the skin flute.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:15 am 

[quote=[/quote]

Last edited by Galoot Co-Log-Nuh on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
^^^^^ Nice! ^^^^^

I've been contemplating getting a drum kit of some kind, I had a pair of "decorative" bongos that I fumbled about with for a while without much success, then I saw the Zappa salad party home video clip with Terry Bozzio getting down with his bad self, that triggered something and I bought a nice pair of serious bongos, added another dimension to whatever this is that I'm doing in my secret basement.

A month or so ago I was out visiting some folks who had some extended family visiting, things got a little musical and someone had a mandolin.....So now I've got this mandolin and a mandolin for dummies pamphlet, my brain hurts but I'm having a great time noodling around with the new sound.....

Terry Ted's about 18 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKXEvN ... rt_radio=1

Sorry, I just noticed this now... but, yer saying that you wished you had a pair of bongos and then... bongo fuuuurrrrryyyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
Quote:
What did I miss before you edited this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:41 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
Do you not read music? The music in the Uncle Meat booklet is correct. I could put a tab together from that if you like? It's played on other instruments ordinarily but for the guitar there are at least two obvious positions to play it in and I do both for practice. It's in Eb, so if you play it starting with index finger at the 11th fret on the B string, it's very difficult to not get nasty resonances from 12th fret harmonics but it's easier to finger and tests your ability to play it cleanly, whereas starting with index finger at the 6th fret on the E string, you easily avoid the nasty harmonics, but it's a bit harder on your pinky finger.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:34 am 

I have now finished two King Kong tabs - links below.

Tab 1
Tab 2

I play the fast notes of that glissando run near the end as a rake. I've arranged these to suit the way I play, so I haven't put finger numbers in, but feel free to ask if there's anything not so obvious.

Last edited by polydigm on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:58 am 

^^^^^ Cheers Poly ^^^^^