Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:05 pm 

I've been listening to Frank for around 34 years now and one of the things that frustrates me about his music is some of the "statistical density", especially when it's played at an alarming tempo. Here's the thing: If I want to recall a song by just about any rock band, I can remember it and "play it back" in my head note for note (at least for the melody). If I want to recall a song by Frank, unless there was a slow version of it, most of the individual notes of the melody escape my recall and it's incomplete. Strangely, when I watch videos of people playing his music and they get it wrong, even at a fast tempo, I can detect the incorrect notes. But trying to whistle them to myself or whatever, I just can't do it if I haven't heard a slow version a number of times.\

There are versions of his songs that have been released on his own records that are obviously being played too quickly and you can tell that the musicians are struggling to make it sound coherent and well synchronized. I don't know if he just liked to torture the band for his amusement or if he was just trying to rush through the song because he was sick to death of playing it and wanted to get to the next one or what, but it's brought me to the conclusion that for at least his more intricate stuff, I prefer the slower versions because they are easier to comprehend and appreciate. I was just curious if anyone else held this view, or if it's just that my brain is as slow as cold molasses?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 am 

Which version you prefer is a subjective thing and you're perfectly outlined your reasons for favoring the slower versions.
For most people however, it's usually the very first version of a song they hear that becomes their favorite.
I can only think of a few instances in which I changed preference from a first heard version to a later heard version.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:29 am 

Did a vehicle
Come from somewhere out there
Just to land in the Andes?