Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: Did You Know?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 am 

Kraftwerk uber alles or Kraftwerk Headlines the Metronome Festival 2019
30 Years of Freedom
by Tony Ozuna - Prague.TV (Foto: kraftwerk.com)
May 7th 2019 10:30

Prague’s Metronome Festival 2019 is celebrating “30 Years of Freedom” reminding progressive to pop music lovers of all ages in this country that it is almost 30 years since the Velvet Revolution in 1989.

The festival is two days/evenings with dozens of groups each date on Friday & Saturday, June 21-22.

The highlight of the festival is the headliner on Saturday—Kraftwerk, arguably the most influential musical group of the post-war 20th century. Without this German electronic group, which formed in Dusseldorf in 1970, and its albums “Autobahn” (1974), “Trans-Europe Express” (1977),” The Man Machine” (1978), and “Computer World” (1981), all considered masterworks of experimental electro-synth-pop, the musical landscape internationally could be an altogether different world, i.e. boring.

Just imagine if it had not been for Kraftwerk, by influencing so profoundly not only synth pop and New Wave, but noted underground club DJs and music producers in the early 70s, from New York City to Ibiza, popular taste may not have developed so easily to embrace EDM and EBM, Euro-Disco/Electro-Disco to more significantly Detroit’s Techno, or Chicago’s House, which led to Acid House raves, and to the still growing myriad of UK electro-dance genres including Drum & Bass, etc.

Kraftwerk is uber-alles in comparison to any other electronic-based music group since the 70s, period.

On the same evening, there will be one of the most popular groups of the Acid House era, Primal Scream, from Glasgow, Scotland, known for its danceable psychedelic electro-pop, formed and fueled by the Ecstasy-craze of the 80s and 90s in the UK. Their Prague and Berlin anthems ‘Come Together” and “Loaded” with the line “We wanna be free, to do what we wanna do. We wanna get loaded!” were heard in every Czech club, rock to disco, underground or village pub, throughout the early 90s, and so they should be dubbed the festival’s honorable party masters under this theme “30 Years of Freedom.”

Friday’s headliner, in the same vein as Primal Scream, is Liam Gallagher, co-founder and previous lead singer of Oasis from Manchester, England. Formed in 1991, Oasis further added to psychedelic Brit-Pop at its best with their hugely successful 1995 album “(What’s the Story) Morning Glory,” and so obviously, their music was also influential on the non-electro Czech indie rock scene from the mid-90s.

Another highlight on Friday evening is Morcheeba, from London. They are yet another group that became a huge favorite of the post-revolution era in Prague, and beyond, best known for their mid-90s album “Who Can You Trust?” with vocalist Skye Edwards and the DJ/producers the Godfrey brothers with songs like “Trigger Hippy,” “Moog Island” and “Post Houmous” Morcheeba created some classic electronica, i.e. late night chill out clubber’s gems for trip-hop and downtempo aficionados till this day.

For locals most of all, Friday’s program features the legendary Czech bigbeat/rock group of the 80s, Pražský výběr led by singer/composer Michael Kocáb. This is sure to be a riotous affair for diehard Czech retro rock fans, and should not be missed by any Frank Zappa freaks or non-Czechs seeking vintage high-energy synth-fueled “East European” rock from the Communist era circa early-late 1980s.

Not all of the headliners at Metronome are for old fogies, parents or even grandparents, though. Young acts are also highlights on Saturday, like Jungle (danceable electro-soul from the UK), and Digitalism (a hard pumping German electronic duo). Still young at heart locals Ohm Square on Saturday are also a rare treat for pure mid-late 90s Czech electro-pop/Drum & Bass, with British diva Charlie One, Jan Čechtický (Jan 2), Jan 5, and Dušan Only One. They once ruled Prague, all thanks to Kraftwerk, too.

https://prague.tv/en/s72/Directory/c200 ... tival-2019

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:08 pm 

Underpaid: Santana
Overpaid: ISB

I would guess that Quill would have done it for the exposure. They were okay (and far from being as bad as Sweetwater.)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:20 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I would guess that Quill would have done it for the exposure. They were okay (and far from being as bad as Sweetwater.)

I wonder what the Mothers would have been paid. They were supposedly invited to participate but FZ turned the offer down.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:49 am 

KUIII wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I wonder what the Mothers would have been paid. They were supposedly invited to participate but FZ turned the offer down.

I read somewhere that The Mothers were already booked to tour Canada when Woodstock began being organized.....

The list is excellent, Richie Havens did alright! $6,000.00 would buy you quite a bit of freedom back in 1969.....

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:42 am 

Spirit were supposed to play before Jimi, but their management turned down the gig. Sha Na Na (then an unknown band managed by Bill Graham) got the spot instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:08 am 

Burnout

Burnout is a psychological term that refers to long-term exhaustion and diminished interest in work. Burnout has been assumed to result from chronic occupational stress. However, there is growing evidence that its etiology is multifactorial in nature, with dispositional factors playing an important role. Despite its great popularity, burnout is not recognized as a distinct disorder, neither in the DSM, nor in the ICD-10. This is notably due to the fact that burnout is problematically close to depressive disorders. In the only study that directly compared depressive symptoms in burned out workers and clinically depressed patients, no diagnostically significant differences were found between the two groups: burned out workers reported as many depressive symptoms as clinically depressed patients. Moreover, a recent study by Bianchi, Schonfeld, and Laurent showed that about 90% of burned out workers meet diagnostic criteria for depression, suggesting that burnout may be a depressive syndrome rather than a new or distinct entity. Clinical psychologist Herbert Freudenberger first identified the construct "burnout" in the 1970s.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:42 am 

I, I think I've been burned out since I read Freudenberger's Playboy article during lunch on the second day of my first full time job in 1973.....

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I, I think I've been burned out since I read Freudenberger's Playboy article during lunch on the second day of my first full time job in 1973.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:15 am 

^^
^^
I had considered myself burnt out at work for a long time (at least five years) and had been trying to fight through it during that time with varying results. When I got a terminal cancer diagnosis last year I decided to opt for an early retirement. Without the stress of the job now I feel much happier. So to sum that up, I am happier now with terminal cancer than I was with my long time job. What’s the lesson here? I guess get out if you’re not happy with what you are doing or the people you are doing it with even if it is hard to walk away from a decent paycheck and benefits. It ain’t worth it. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:07 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 am 

That spiders have paws....

The odd, adorable mystery of hairy spider feet
Mary Jo DiLonardo
September 19, 2017, 8:07 a.m.

There's something fascinating about hairy little spider feet. They look like they belong on dogs. Or maybe even cats.

Recently, images of hairy spider "paws" have circulated on social media with people oohing and aahing about how cute they are and how much they resemble furry pet appendages.

Photographer Michael Pankratz's macro shot of a spider's furry foot — actually Avicularia geroldi, a species of tarantula — is making the online rounds, being likened to a dog or cat paw.

But those fuzzy feet — technically spider claw tufts — have all sorts of interesting purposes.

Arachnologist Norman Platnick, curator emeritus at the American Museum of Natural History, tells MNN "the similarity to dogs or cats is only in the mind of the beholder."

All spiders have some hair-like structures, called setae, on their legs. But not all have claw tufts, which are hairy areas surrounding claws at the end of their legs.

"About half of the spider families have claw tufts. These animals usually have only two claws at the tips of their legs, and are usually hunting spiders, who pursue their prey," Platnick says. "Web-building spiders typically have three claws; the two paired claws, like those found in hunting spiders, plus a third, smaller, unpaired claw that helps them maneuver on their silk threads."

Cats and dogs don't have to use their feet for as many tasks as spiders do. Here are a couple of cool examples:

Spiders use their feet to stick

"The claw tufts of these spiders provide additional adhesive properties, making it easier for the animals to climb," Platnick says. "For example, many tarantulas can even climb up glass, despite their relatively heavy weight."

Because the tiny hairs on their feet are both small and flexible, they are able to make contact with many parts of a surface, clinging more easily, even when upside-down. Their attachment is dynamic, meaning it's only temporary. Because of this malleability, National Geographic likens the adhesion to being like that of a Post-it note, versus a barnacle's super glue.

“Permanent attachment systems, like glue, are often much stronger and not reusable, whereas temporary attachment systems, like hairy adhesive pads, can be used multiple times [and] adhere strongly enough to hold the animal, but the contact can be loosened very quickly and effortlessly,” Jonas Wolff, a biologist at the University of Kiel in Germany, told NatGeo.

Spiders use their hairs to 'hear' and 'smell'

Many spiders have modified setae on the last segment of their legs that they use for sensory purposes, Platnick says. "For example, many spiders have trichobothria [vertical hairs] that are extremely sensitive to both airborne and substrate vibrations (i.e., they 'hear' with their feet). Many spiders also have modified setae that are chemosensory (i.e., they also 'smell' with their feet)."

According to the Australian Museum, these hairs are so highly sensitive to airborne vibrations that the spider can sense the wing beats of a moth or fly as it approaches, or be alerted to the presence of a predatory wasp.

In one study researchers glued tiny transmitters to the backs of 30 whip spiders nabbed from the Costa Rican rainforest. In one group, they painted over their eyes with nail polish; in another they either painted over or trimmed the tips of their antenna-like front legs. They then took each spider about 11 yards from its home and released it. Most of the control spiders and the ones that were blinded by nail polish made it back home. However, the ones that lost the tips of their legs lost the ability to navigate.

The researchers think the spiders used smell sensors on their legs to find their way home but likely weren't sure exactly what smells they were following. "Therein lies the mystery," lead researcher Verner Bingman tells Discover.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:18 pm 

https://9gag.com/gag/a5RpDdN

I had no idea.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18