Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
My backer box showed up in the mail yesterday!
And it was a large box, like 12"x20"x24".
There were a lot of surprises.
Yes, the t-shirt,
yes the poncho,
some stickers and buttons.
Also, a tote bag.
But there's a Frank Zappa 200 Motels keychain which made me laugh.
And a chunk of UMRK cable.
They threw in sealed copies of
The Yellow Shark on cassette,
Imaginary Diseases on cd and,
The Torture Never Stops on dvd (NTSC).
There's a 'zappa' patch,
an 'F-Zappa' license plate from 'the show me state' made out of metal and encased in shrink wrap while still being suitable for mounting on your car, or your headboard or, whatever,
and a Honker Home Video unsharpened pencil made out of actual wood with the 818-Pumpkin phone number and the Hollywood POBox # on it.

There's also a 'Mystery bag' manila envelope that has a number of individual facsimile items.
Several vintage photo post cards,
many sticker type things including (but not limited to) a concertgebouw concert ticket, backstage passes, a 10-1-74 Basel foldout concert poster, and a couple art pieces that were clearly originally made by FZ.
And several setlists backed by a sheet listing expenses (incl insurance, bmi/ascap, lighting, "poster boys", and food), for 'outside salt palace'. Funny.

All in all, definitely $100 worth of merch type stuff - if that was all I was looking forward to.

And the documentary (and more) is yet to come.

So, this is some physical-evidence type indication that the Alex Winter doc people are trying to make the entire enterprise worth everybody's while. :mrgreen:

My box was pretty similar and came last Saturday. I just got the poster in a tube today.

The vault digitization is why I kicked in and I look forward to the promised digital access. I do look forward to the book. The movie - well I paid enough to be in the credits- yes I am an idiot, but its all for the love of Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 pm 

Still waiting because apparently there's a hold up with the song book add ons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:21 pm 

bracton wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
bracton wrote:
an Old Masters large booklet

With Pamela Zarubica's face obliterated with Magic Marker?

Yes.

It's like that in the original box set release, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:08 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

Seriously, since this must have been from a stash of leftover extra booklets, I wondered if perhaps it hadn't been defaced.

Once I was talking to 818-PUMPKIN, and I must have called to inquire about the release date for the second Old Masters box. I hope it wasn't Gail I was talking to, because like a jerk, I made a snarky remark about did they have to black out anyone's face. There was a moment of offended silence, and then the reply: "That was art."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am 

Oh yeah, that's what doing your thing is! :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

Seriously, since this must have been from a stash of leftover extra booklets, I wondered if perhaps it hadn't been defaced.

Once I was talking to 818-PUMPKIN, and I must have called to inquire about the release date for the second Old Masters box. I hope it wasn't Gail I was talking to, because like a jerk, I made a snarky remark about did they have to black out anyone's face. There was a moment of offended silence, and then the reply: "That was art."
you'll have that

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
I was talking to 818-PUMPKIN, and I must have called to inquire about the release date for the second Old Masters box. I hope it wasn't Gail I was talking to, because like a jerk, I made a snarky remark about did they have to black out anyone's face. There was a moment of offended silence,

and then the reply: "That was art."

Gotta admit that was a great fucking reply. I hope it was Gail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 pm 

Bet it was, with a B.S. response like "It was art". No, that was being an ass and trying to get the last word about a talented musician.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 am 

My guess is if it was Pamela Zurubica's face blacked out that might indicate a continuation of the bad feelings I have read existed between Gail and her going way back. Saying that was art to black her out? Not sure I buy into that. I may be wrong though but that's what comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:31 am 

Dances wrote:
My guess is if it was Pamela Zurubica's face blacked out that might indicate a continuation of the bad feelings I have read existed between Gail and her going way back. Saying that was art to black her out? Not sure I buy into that. I may be wrong though but that's what comes to mind.

Art is a form of expression, maybe she was expressing animosity... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:43 am 

Dances wrote:

I believe the artsy term is "negative space" I learned that Crayola school when I was drawing nudie pictures and the teacher said "that's okay, he can draw what ever he likes...and I can do this" and is scribbled out the naughty bits with "teacher black" permanence. But what the teacher didn't know, and no one knew outside of our four facing group of desks was that turning the page over revealed my original art obsession and would be become my patented technique to this day...I just got a big deal for crackerjack prizes, finally I made it! and I'm only in 14th grade.

Last edited by Willie the pimp on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 am 

Willie the pimp wrote:
Dances wrote:

I believe the artsy term is "negative space" I learned that Crayola school when I was drawing nudie pictures and the teacher said "that's okay, he can draw what ever he likes...and I can do this" and is scribbled out the naughty bits with "teacher black" permanence. But what the teacher didn't know, and no one knew outside of our four facing group of desks was that turning the page over revealed my original art obsession and would be become patented technique to this day...I just got a big deal for crackerjack prizes, finally I made it!

Sounds like your teacher was well versed in the black arts.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:51 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Willie the pimp wrote:
Dances wrote:

I believe the artsy term is "negative space" I learned that Crayola school when I was drawing nudie pictures and the teacher said "that's okay, he can draw what ever he likes...and I can do this" and is scribbled out the naughty bits with "teacher black" permanence. But what the teacher didn't know, and no one knew outside of our four facing group of desks was that turning the page over revealed my original art obsession and would be become patented technique to this day...I just got a big deal for crackerjack prizes, finally I made it!

Sounds like your teacher was well versed in the black arts.....
aaand she didn't wear panties, which was confirmed by the daily pencil drop test.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:54 am 

Clearly I'm in the wrong thread...my bad! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 am 

Plook wrote:
Dances wrote:

Art is a form of expression, maybe she was expressing animosity... :idea:

As an artist I can't argue with that but as an artist and having been around them art can be a excuse for a lot of things. Was it animosity? I sure wouldn't know for sure but I had to wonder when I read the post Pamela was named in as being blacked out. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 am 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've finally received my shipping notice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:46 am 

polydigm wrote:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've finally received my shipping notice.

Excellent

Mine came through April the 11th

still nothing in the box though..... :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 pm 

Received a large carton and poster tube today 8) , held off the opening until I get home.

Around 19 days from the US of A.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:09 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 am 

^^^^^ heheheheee ^^^^^

Finally managed to hijack some me time to investigate the contents of the package

2 x Who The F*@% Is Frank Zappa posters, 1 signed and 1 clean? may have been stuck together..
1 x WTFIFZ official campaign tee shirt (made in Nicaragua)
1 x Not A Sears Poncho (made in the USA)
1 x Strip of stickers: Zappa For President, Dope You Are What You Use and The WTFIFZ version of the Apostrophe face.
1 x Mystery (made in India) I helped save Zappa's Vault you're welcome Tote Bag #5 containing
1 x Buffalo cd
1 x London Symphony Orchestra 2 Cassette
1 x The Torture Never Stops dvd
1 x F-ZAPPA Green Mountains Vermont number plate
1 x 200 Motels Key Ring
1 x Honker Home Video Pencil
1 x set of 4 pin back buttons: I Helped Save The Vault, ZAPPA, Cartoon of FZ riding on Powdered Toast Man and Cal Schenkel's drawing of a big nosed FZ similar to the does humor belong in music style.
1 x The Old Masters Box One Booklet
1 x set of FZ related articles 14 pages (nothing new)
1 x Intercontinental Absurdities 20th Anniversary decal
1 x Warning/Guarantee decal
3 x assorted backstage passes
1 x ZAPPA iron/sew on patch
1 x repro 1 Oktober 1974 FZ and The Mothers of Invention concert poster/Festhalle Mustermesse Basel
1 x A4 repro hagstrom Guitars advertisement proof (bare foot FZ on the chair with a 12 string electric acoustic)
1 x A4 repro of set lists and expenses (outside of Salt Palace)
7 x assorted post cards: 2 x 1966 FZ at the Shrine Auditorium, FZ in bowler hat London 1967,
FZ at The Whisky 1968, FZ at The Garrick 1967, FZ shaving Zappa Apartment NYC 1967 and FZ setting up the album cover shoot for WOIIFTM 1968.
2 x small repro pieces of FZ art work (the rocket from studio Z and a picture of a witch (not Gail) with the words: Snow White? oh she lives with a bunch of midgets in El Monte.
1 x card FZ Ensemble Modern with a bunch of autographs.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:25 am 

Kickstarter
Update # 59

IT'S MUTHERS DAY: Celebrating the Birth of the Mothers. Winding Down Archive Preservation. PLUS: New Gems from the Vault!

Posted by Alex Winter (Creator)

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY, MUTHERS!

As most of you know, Mother’s Day was an important day for FZ. The name of his band itself, the original Mothers of Invention, was crowned on May 9th, which was Mother’s Day of ’65. Why we are celebrating Mother’s Day today!

From the great Vaultmeister Joe:

“Prior to this in 1964, FZ had a power trio called ”The Muthers". The Mothers would soon change their name again after record executives at Verve objected. "At the time, if you were a good musician, you were a motherfucker. And 'Mothers' was short for a collection of motherfuckers." said FZ, "And actually, it was kind of presumptuous to name the band that because we weren't that good musicians. But by bar band standards in the area, we were light years ahead of our competition. But in terms of real musicianship, I suppose we were right down there in the swamp."

So in 1964 the band FZ was in, the Soul Giants, took on a new name that would live on in history and through several incarnations. Have a happy Mothers Day!!

"They took a whole bunch of acid so they could see where it's at!"

No acid required to see where we’re at. Now that the vault preservation work is drawing to a close, I wanted to give you the specifics of what’s left to do:

We prioritized the most endangered material, which is old film and film-related sound, which is EXTREMELY sensitive and prone to deterioration. So our back end work is largely comprised of the enormous collection of media on video. The month of May is mostly comprised of archiving that media, as well as syncing all of the audio we've transferred so far. As Joe T explained in one of the earlier updates, the audio syncing is a painstaking process, and has to be done just right.

In June and July we’ll take care of the remaining 35mm archival batches, which includes preserving a ton of Baby Snakes material; for the film itself and the outtakes. A goldmine!

And... that will be all she wrote!

Then we dive into getting the movie up and running. That process will involve our editorial team creating a massive digital timeline of all the media, in chronological order, so we can get our heads around what we have and how it will shape our movie. Very exciting stuff, and I can’t wait to get the next chapter rolling! We will, of course, keep you all looped as we get started and move through this process.

"You can't say that!"

Of course, FZ could say that, and say it he did.
Here are the latest archival gems we wanted to share:

The Robertson Report

I’m so happy to share this amazing piece of archival we found in the vault. It’s from a panel show FZ made, that never aired, called “The Robertson Report”. It was a sort of rebuke to Pat Robertson, shot in the Zappa house on June 21st of 1987.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ylOd6MV3o

Guests are (seated, Left to Right):
• Waleed Ali, who ran MPI Home Video and produced various film projects, including releasing a video magazine I made in the 80’s with Tom Stern called ‘Impact’ (more on that craziness here).
• Jerry Straub, former producer of The 700 Club, among other shows, and author of Salvation for Sale. He had already left the 700 Club by the time of this recording.
• Edmund Cohen, author of The Mind of the Bible Believer

This is some amazing stuff, hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Lots more where this came from and will get it into the doc!

Baby Chickens

This is a short clip but I love it. It’s from FZ's second trip to Australia in 1976. The release "FZ:OZ" came from that trip as well. All the info we have on this but wanted to include it as it made me smile.

https://youtu.be/toKLoqhQ25Y

picky picky picky Ghost Note: FZ clearly states "We just played in Auckland last night" (Friday, January 16th 1976) referring to the hell hole that is Auckland, a city in NZ not Australia, FZ left NZ on Sunday, January the 18th.....They played Sydney on January 20th.....

That’s a wrap on the May update, diving back into the vault to get ‘er done! Look forward to sharing more with you as we get close to the end of this amazing first part of the journey, Saving The Vault, and prepare to embark on part two: Telling The Story!

Anon,

Alex

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:09 am 

Good my goodies this week (Poster and package of Mystery Bag, Poncho and t-shirt). The Mystery Bag contained variations on descriptions above. Got Joe's Menage CD and TBBYNHIYL on double cassette! A lot of treats, and a wonderful poster. With the final movie still coming, I think in total this has been a very successful batch of stuff to get for your donation!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:05 am 

Am I the only one who's teeshirt hasn't got the words on it?

The poncho is going in my back pack for whenever I get caught in the rain riding my bike back home from work.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:12 pm 

No words on this one:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:50 pm 

Update #60
For backers only.
Jun 20 2017
A MOON BEAM THROUGH THE PRUNE IN JUNE! In which we discuss the end of things, the beginning of things and all things in between!

Ola freaks!

We are very close to the end of phase one: Saving the Vault. The last batches are making their way to the various preservation entities and I’m just getting back the previous batches that were done. As we close in on the end of this work the updates will get a little shorter as there’s less to report. So, from here on out there will be intermittent updates that are mostly just me sharing some goodies I find in the vault media as we begin the long process of going through it all.

The next phase will of course be Telling The Story, the making of the doc itself. Once we start that process, I’ll let everyone know and share the ride as we’re embarking on it!

Like a pink donation

Thanks to all of you for the great emails and messages we’ve received telling us how much you dig the rewards!

There’s still more coming; Matt Groening is almost done with his piece, the Digital Vault Passes are being compiled and for those of you who got the original items from Frank's house, you should have either received them last week, or be getting them in the next few days, as soon as we connect with you to confirm your shipping address!

For most of you who haven’t gotten your rewards, that’s because they’re tied to the doc and I gotta finish that first so hold tight : )

It tasted real good

Lastly here’s a taste of some recently preserved Zappa Vault footage that I really love! It’s from a rehearsal at Cal Arts. Considering the date of the tapes (December 19, 1982), we have surmised these rehearsals could be for the LSO concerts of 1983, which took place in London. We’re thinking these could be CA rehearsals for those shows with just percussion and rhythm section, etc.

Shot by the legendary Nordegg, with Kent Nagano conducting, Chad Wackerman on drums and David Ocker on Clarinet. The pieces are Pedro's Dowry with a switch to Mo n' Herb’s Vacation, happening when some of the musicians leave.

Enjoy!

(Vault Clips)

That’s the prune in June! We’ll get into wrapping this up over the next two months, so I'll be sure to let you know how it’s looking as we go!

Anon,

Alex

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next