Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:42 am 

Thinman wrote:
Moon wrote:
… I was never paid for Valley Girl ...

WTF? Didn't she recently tell that she took a few hundred $ from her Valley Girl money for an abortion at an age of 18?

Here is the whole story in graphic detail for those of you who may have missed it a couple years back:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/171750048?platform=hootsuite
This puts a fresh and honest perspective on the inner workings of the Zappa household. Remember all those magazine article and interviews 80s and early 90s painting FZ as a semi "conservative" all American dad? This shoots a lot of holes in that image. Funny how these articles never touched on FZ's infidelity (groupies at the breakfast table, STDs etc.), workaholism, or severe addiction to legal substances. The response that MZ portrays her parents having to the news of her abortion sounds like the quintessential hippy dippy reaction, which is disappointing. Most of this is old news to a lot of us, but I feel that its important for it to be here to keep an objective view of FZ.

Last edited by cory1984 on Mon May 21, 2018 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am 

My brother got his print back from the framers. Shown here cropped since I'm guessing he doesn't want the # shown on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:38 pm 

^^^^^ Very nice! ^^^^^

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Moon wrote:
… I was never paid for Valley Girl ...

WTF? Didn't she recently tell that she took a few hundred $ from her Valley Girl money for an abortion at an age of 18?

Here is the whole story in graphic detail for those of you who may have missed it a couple years back:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/171750048?platform=hootsuite
This puts a fresh and honest perspective on the inner workings of the Zappa household. Remember all those magazine article and interviews 80s and early 90s painting FZ as a semi "conservative" all American dad? This shoots a lot of holes in that image. Funny how these articles never touched on FZ's infidelity (groupies at the breakfast table, STDs etc.), workaholism, or severe addiction to legal substances. The response that MZ portrays her parents having to the news of her abortion sounds like the quintessential hippy dippy reaction, which is disappointing. Most of this is old news to a lot of us, but I feel that its important for it to be here to keep an objective view of FZ.

Why is this qualified to be considered the "honest" perspective?

Objective view? He's dead. What do I need to be objective about?
He had severe legal addictions? Oh. Unlike today with our healthy internet and television addictions. Cell phone addictions. Addictions to energy. To money.
Is anyone going to give enough of a shit to publicly analyze/critique our personal choices after we've died? ugh. Who are we to judge FZ?

cory1984 wrote:
Funny how these articles never touched on FZ's infidelity (groupies at the breakfast table, STDs etc.)

That's none of our business is it?

Is it?

Today's society is even sicker.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 pm 

As my father used to say "don't believe everything"

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

LINKS!!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

LINKS!!

Fake news. Gray_Ghost never had a father. He is an ectoplasmic manifestation.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:56 pm 

Why is this qualified to be considered the "honest" perspective?

Objective view? He's dead. What do I need to be objective about?
He had severe legal addictions? Oh. Unlike today with our healthy internet and television addictions. Cell phone addictions. Addictions to energy. To money.
Is anyone going to give enough of a shit to publicly analyze/critique our personal choices after we've died? ugh. Who are we to judge FZ?

cory1984 wrote:
Funny how these articles never touched on FZ's infidelity (groupies at the breakfast table, STDs etc.)

That's none of our business is it?

Is it?

Today's society is even sicker.
______

How bad society is, or people are now is a moot point. FZ frequently railed against the addictions of other. This certainly opens him to the criticism of his own. However, I'm NOT judging him (certainly no puritan myself) just pointing out some things I do not feel were portrayed accurately in the media. Seems with GZ being gone the Z Kids have been more open about things, thus bringing certain truths to light. It's honest because it is coming from a family member who was there, MZ. As far as it being any of our business, that pretty much went out the window when MZ made this very public announcement. She clearly wanted people to know about this. No the picture nor myself are qualified to establish any of this. Just something I noticed.

A couple examples of what I was referring to in my original post. Everything is open to interpretation. Personally I get a vibe of painting FZ in a more conventional, mainstream way than he was previously thought of.

FZ & MZ on Late Night w/ David Letterman 1982:
https://youtu.be/2TZk1gYj2xo?t=134

FZ & Zkids on Nite Life 1986:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK5q4vY3-Uo

Don't get me wrong here, I worship the ground that FZ walked on. For some reason I got the image in my mind that he sheltered his kids more than what MZ portrayed in her video; it just surprised me. I'm going to leave it at that.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:27 pm 

I continue to be a full on fan of FZ's music. I disagree with a lot of what he said and am only marginally interested in his political/social commentary. A lot of it was just bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 pm 

polydigm wrote:
I continue to be a full on fan of FZ's music. I disagree with a lot of what he said and am only marginally interested in his political/social commentary. A lot of it was just bullshit.

FZ had just about the least amount of bullshit of any "rock star" out there. Sure, he had some bullshit. But "a lot"? I don't think that's fair.

FZ was right on, time and time again, about the music industry, American politics, American television/media, and the general lack of an appreciation of culture in America. He was also generally fair and honest with his fans. He never coasted.
Here's a lengthy interview from 1984 where FZ seems to have run completely out of bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eln3J6BxWN0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 am 

(1) "If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it." - FZ

What is often wrong with the world is perpetuated by children being brain washed by their parents. Who a child ends up being in terms of their unique physical self and the unique situation they're born into is not of their choosing, so if they end up being brain washed, how is it that they deserve that? People who break the mould are exceptions, not the rule. It's mould breakers who change the world and eventually others wake up and tune in.

(2) I saw that video where FZ was celebrating the fall of the Soviet Union. Yes it was fucked - the 1917 revolution in Russia was subverted a long, long time ago in its early stages by Stalin and his cronies. Meanwhile, the cess pit in the West grinds ever more bleakly and FZ celebrates the failure of an attempt to do something different. We should be trying to find ways of moving on from this shit heap not sneering at the failures of those who have tried.

(3) He was basically a conservative. He benefited significantly form the status quo and ultimately wasn't that driven to change it. He spent most of his time working on his music - he didn't have enough spare time away from that to produce a lot more than not very illuminating political one liners. Let's face it, he wasn't a revolutionary by any stretch.

(4) All that puerile humour, that achieved what?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:02 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Let's face it, he wasn't a revolutionary by any stretch.

(4) All that puerile humour, that achieved what?

In the American media's war against our consciousness he was a revolutionary. For sure. And brave. And now you want to strip any heroism away from him? I don't know. In a way he was on the front lines over here. Maybe you can't grasp that because you are not here.

(4) What did it achieve? Made some sad people laugh. Broke through some sick American repression that you might not totally understand.

polydigm wrote:
(1) "If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it." - FZ

He's talking about any unworthy authority figure. That's aimed mostly at Americans who are likely quite capable of healing themselves. He's trying to inspire people to not be victimized. We have a lot of hidden child abuse here. Mental, physical, spiritual. Some of the abuse is considered normal parenting!

I don't need to defend him. I accept that you think he is often full of shit. In the American cultural wars he's a hero. Listen to what he left us!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:37 am 

I love his music. And yes, he did a lot for me on a personal level at one time and I'm not trying to take that away from him. But his politics were all over the place.

And don't start bringing "grasp" and "understanding" into it if you want to stay friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:04 pm 

Project Update #70: WHO THE F*@% IS FRANK ZAPPA?
by Alex Winter

Production Diary entry

Posted by Alex Winter (Creator)

Hola Freaks! A very quick, down and dirty update from the wilds of Bruce Bickford's home studio compound in Seattle.

We just shot an amazing interview with the amazing Mr. B! Making art and talking FZ.

I just wanted to show some images from this great day. Most of our interviews will be filmed later in the year, but I'm grabbing a few select interviews early in the process to work with in edit.

And don't fret, a proper update is coming very soon!

Anon!

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 am 

^ cool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 565 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23