Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Files Vanished
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:02 pm 

File this under WTF?
I had a substantial collection of Zappa albums housed on my NAS drive and catalogued in my Itunes Library.
Some of these were official releases, others gathered from less 'official' sources.

Everything was hunky dory until...
I noticed that when I would try to play the files from my computer that Itunes would act strange-the file would be missing and then it would have to be downloaded from Apple-resulting in a DRM version of the file.
Looking in the NAS all of the folder structures were there but the files were gone-vanished. NONE of my other music was touched. None of it-and there's a lot of it in there.
It was as if-someone went folder by folder and removed that content.
Bizarre-I'm working with my NAS provider to see if I can track down when the changes were made and perhaps see how they were made.
:?

Post subject: Re: Zappa Files Vanished
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:19 pm 

According to a book that David Byrne wrote, Apple is within their rights to delete any of your content without your permission. Supposedly its all in the tiny writing you agree to when you open an iTunes account.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:43 pm 

the voyeur wrote:
File this under WTF?
I had a substantial collection of Zappa albums housed on my NAS drive and catalogued in my Itunes Library.
Some of these were official releases, others gathered from less 'official' sources.

Everything was hunky dory until...
I noticed that when I would try to play the files from my computer that Itunes would act strange-the file would be missing and then it would have to be downloaded from Apple-resulting in a DRM version of the file.
Looking in the NAS all of the folder structures were there but the files were gone-vanished. NONE of my other music was touched. None of it-and there's a lot of it in there.
It was as if-someone went folder by folder and removed that content.
Bizarre-I'm working with my NAS provider to see if I can track down when the changes were made and perhaps see how they were made.
:?

Why don't you go have a wank and you'll feel 'hunky dory' again

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:46 pm 

He said only the FZ stuff was deleted. I'm sure his Bowie is fine...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:18 pm 

It was ONLY the Zappa files-but how did Itunes delete my music from my NAS drive? Furthermore, the files are still in Apple's Cloud-I use itunes match and its just a matter of downloading the DRM files from their servers.
I mean it was stuff like the "American Composer" from NPR starring Cornel West and Beverly D'Angelo. GONE from the local drive.

So strange. I have most of it backed up on hard media but what a weird situation-60 minutes on the phone with level 3 apple support and they had no idea what was going on.
:shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:13 am 

Fuck i-Tunes and Fuck Apple.....oh and by the way, when you see your mother next weekend. Be sure to tell her that...SATAN ! SATAN !, SATAN...!!!!