Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 am 

I like the Grateful Dead. Saw them in Essen in 1990. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:22 am 

I would guess that will be a great concert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:43 am 

Wow, I wish I could go. We already got tickets to see Foo Fighters in Washington DC that weekend. Can't really complain about getting out n travelling that weekend, but I sure do wish I could go to those final Dead shows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:25 pm 

I guess it's official.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... eKrHbfhGQg

They'll film this for sure.

http://www.dead50.net/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:58 pm 

coevad wrote:
Could this be the last concert ever?

Maybe the last with the core four

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:33 am 

I'm seriously thinking about going.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:15 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Put a fucking fork in it already!!

What's wrong with carrying on the name and legacy of a brilliant musician who died way too young? That's exactly what we are doing here with Zappa. Is it not? Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other people don't. You really should try it. The spirituality of it might do your tortured soul some good. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:10 am 

Philostopher wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Put a fucking fork in it already!!

What's wrong with carrying on the name and legacy of a brilliant musician who died way too young? That's exactly what we are doing here with Zappa. Is it not? Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other people don't. You really should try it. The spirituality of it might do your tortured soul some good. :?

+1 Philo, +1 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:32 am 

Hitler reacts!

http://youtu.be/FTBZuulCoPo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 pm 

Hitler was great! Oh, wait... you get the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:23 am 

coevad wrote:

Overused gag but this one was very funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:14 am 

Infrared Roses had some cool moments - but overall I was never a fan of the band. I dig those "spaces" a lot though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:35 am 

Phlakaton wrote:
overall I was never a fan of the band.

Same here. Then again, I haven't done down-n-dirty research.
I just know I have heard some. And as it turns out, I have not liked that some.

Maybe someone (a "deadhead") could explain his or her attraction.

[ insert "you just don't get it" type retort here]

for seriousnessly,
maps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:42 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
Phlakaton wrote:
overall I was never a fan of the band.

Same here. Then again, I haven't done down-n-dirty research.
I just know I have heard some. And as it turns out, I have not liked that some.

Maybe someone (a "deadhead") could explain his or her attraction.

[ insert "you just don't get it" type retort here]

for seriousnessly,
maps

I'm a fan of the band, but they're hard to explain. They have aspects of 'singer-songwriter'-ness, jazziness, psychedelia, etc. As a Zappa fan wanting to get into the Dead, start with the Blues For Allah album and work your way backwards. If you want to focus on the live jamming stuff, check out the '74 and '77 shows. Others may prefer other eras of shows, but I like these the most.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:44 am 

Image If you can't find something on this then you just won't like them, Big Bertha, Mamma Tried, Warf rat, Not like Zappa at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:16 am 

The following post was made with no research what so ever:

Mamma tried!!!? As in the Merle Haggard number?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
The following post was made with no research what so ever:

Mamma tried!!!? As in the Merle Haggard number?

Yessir. The Dead wrote a bunch of great songs, but quite a bit of their repertoire included covers from all over the place which were woven into the fabric of their presentation. They weren't a blues band, or a folk band, or a rock band, a jazz band, a bluegrass band or a psychedelic band. They were a blues-folk-rock-jazz-bluegrass-psychedelic band........they were truly Americana.

Jerry once said that the Dead were a lot like licorice. Not everyone likes licorice. But the people that do like it, like it a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:29 am 

Yes, Skull Fuck has the Merle Haggard tune. Its a good album. My fav is Europe 72.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 am 

i like the europe album a lot also but I was just trying to pick out one that would have a tune that most would like. Jeeze i saw dead many times and mamma tried was always a fav. They did a nice job with jonny b good as well as Me and bobby Mcgee, i know you don't like Playin in the band rk but that lp has a nice version. Having seen them from very early to late, that live lp, imho, is the most vindictive of what they were like.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:59 am 

As a fan of the dead, my personal favorite years of their recording career range pretty much from '69-'74. and not only do I really dig the albums recorded in those years, the live shows from those years are, in my humble opinion, the most creative and mind-expanding of the Dead's 30 year career.

Before '69 they seem to be not completely focused and lean a bit heavy on the "psychedelic blues band" sound. After they started touring again in '76 (following a touring hiatus at the end of October '74) they certainly still played very well, but with the Jerry Garcia Band, Kingfish and other side projects abound, they seem (to me) to be unfocused, more frequently. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of later '70s and '80s and '90s shows that blow me away...

But in that magic five year stretch, the Dead were consistently getting better with every show; experimentation almost always coalesced into fantastic melodies, new songs were pumped into their setlists at an astonishing regularity, their ability to perform mind-shattering spacey jams grew to simply unreal levels (in my opinion).

TL;DR: In my humble opinion, the Dead really whipped out some kick-ass jams at the end of the '60s, and just got better and better until they took a break from playing halfway through the '70s. Nods to Jer :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:28 pm 

Attachment:
wall of sound (Medium).jpg

Attachment:
wall of sound2.jpg

The wall of sound tour was a great one. I highly suggest the new listener watch "The Grateful Dead Movie". Mickey Hart rejoins the band as second drummer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 pm 

No class

Last edited by coevad on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:33 pm 

Buckalos wrote:
As a fan of the dead, my personal favorite years of their recording career range pretty much from '69-'74. and not only do I really dig the albums recorded in those years, the live shows from those years are, in my humble opinion, the most creative and mind-expanding of the Dead's 30 year career.

Before '69 they seem to be not completely focused and lean a bit heavy on the "psychedelic blues band" sound. After they started touring again in '76 (following a touring hiatus at the end of October '74) they certainly still played very well, but with the Jerry Garcia Band, Kingfish and other side projects abound, they seem (to me) to be unfocused, more frequently. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of later '70s and '80s and '90s shows that blow me away...

But in that magic five year stretch, the Dead were consistently getting better with every show; experimentation almost always coalesced into fantastic melodies, new songs were pumped into their setlists at an astonishing regularity, their ability to perform mind-shattering spacey jams grew to simply unreal levels (in my opinion).

TL;DR: In my humble opinion, the Dead really whipped out some kick-ass jams at the end of the '60s, and just got better and better until they took a break from playing halfway through the '70s. Nods to Jer :smoke:

Well said. For me it's '68-'74 and '77.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:16 pm 

As someone who attended close to 30 shows from '78-'90, my personal favorites were the two Warlocks shows on 10-8-89 and 10-9-89 in Hampton, VA. Those two nights were really magical. They broke out several numbers that had not been played in a long time. I decided to trip the first night instead of the second. And, I'm glad I did. I got to hear a killer version of The Wheel {one of my personal favorites} from Garcia's first solo outing. The Warlocks box is one of my prized possessions, and I listen to it at least twice a year. Unless you just don't like the "Brent era" at all, I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:48 pm 

On opening day of the 1993 baseball season, three members of the Grateful Dead - Bob Weir, Jerry Garcia and Vince Welnick - sang the Star Spangled Banner at Candlestick Park. A lot of people feared it would be horrible, but actually they did a nice job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH8ObibNCoo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next