Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am 

Check these people out they are very talented... 8)

http://www.cubensis.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:48 am 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

There were other things he told me about Frank, but I won't mention them here...

Well if you can't say on here you should PM me so I can know!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:46 pm 

The Dead were great up until Terrapin Station (1977) and then went downhill, although the '89-'90 tour was pretty good.

I've never been into drugs (an anomaly for someone who likes the Dead), but I have to admit that I'm addicted to differing live versions of Dark Star...and not coincidently they stopped playing that after '74 (although they re-introduced it in '89).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:01 am 

CityHallFred wrote:
The Dead were great up until Terrapin Station (1977) and then went downhill, although the '89-'90 tour was pretty good.

I've never been into drugs (an anomaly for someone who likes the Dead), but I have to admit that I'm addicted to differing live versions of Dark Star...and not coincidently they stopped playing that after '74 (although they re-introduced it in '89).

'77 is my favorite Dead year. Have you heard the album Grayfolded?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:20 am 

CityHallFred wrote:

In terms of the studio and new material, I would concur with you that Terrapin Station was the point at which they jumped the shark. You look at the stuff leading up to that, it just got better and better, then Terrapin was almost like a crowning achievement, at least for Jerry. Subsequent albums had some very good material on them, some of it great in the live setting (Shakedown St, for example), but agree it was clearly heading down the hill.

Performance-wise, I first saw them on that 77 tour but was young and didn't know much about them. In retrospect, I know that was a great tour and there were some epic years before that, but the early 80's are wrongfully dismissed. Brent Mydland brought new life to the band, and although their song rotation/selection was a bit on the mundane side, there were many great performances. The 2nd set of 4/6/82 may be some of the best Grateful Dead I have ever heard. For me, it was after Brent's death, and after Hornsby's stint as a support until Vince Welnick was "ready to go" that were "meh" years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 am 

Plook says I am.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:04 pm 

I have 57 Dead releases in my iTunes library, 40 of which are on my iPod, and yet I don't consider myself a Deadhead and I don't rank Garcia among my favorite guitarists.

But I do like them a lot though. Go figure.

Once when I saw Frank at the Palladium, the Dead were playing at Madison Square Garden on the same night. At the end of the concert as Frank was getting ready to leave the stage he said something like, "You can go up to the Garden and see the Dead, they'll be playing for another 3 hours at least".

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:32 pm 

tiboudre wrote:
CityHallFred wrote:

I actually bought Grayfolded just last year and it's great! Various DS portions spliced and pieced together into a monster version. The splice-and-paste technique used for Grayfolded album (on a large scale) is something FZ pioneered when he spliced-and-pasted together various live versions of the same song for the YCDTOSA series (as well as for some Sheik Yerboutie entries).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
Incidentally, as I am sure many of you know the four volumes, so far, of Garcialive are amazing

NP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:54 pm 

This past Thursday marked the 25th anniversary of the Dead's concert at the Meadowlands arena in NJ (then known as the Brendan Byrne arena), subsequently released as Nightfall of Diamonds. At this point they were back to playing Dark Star.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:26 am 

I am not a deadhead, however... I think they are one of those bands that
I am more into their influences. Same deal with Eric Clapton.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:01 am 

tiboudre wrote:
CityHallFred wrote:

90 minutes of The Dead tuning and chatting from the '77 tour.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20141017

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:47 am 

Awesome! I'm listening right now. Get brainpang and downer over here, there is challenging audio to be had! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:29 pm 

anyone who doesn't know that this guy is spot on doesn't know shit about music. haters gotta hate. douchebags gotta be douchebags.
i saw FZ and JG each over 100 times starting in the mid-late 70s. FZ is my all time favorite with JG not far behind.
obviously they were vastly different in many ways. but greatness and originality comes in many flavors. and they each loved and understood doo-wop, showtunes, and the american song book that preceded them.
i had some great times at GD shows but obviously they weren't consistently great as FZ shows were. but they were both 'the show'. as much as anything i've ever known.
as long as you're shitting on the dead, go check out the classical music that frank was listening to for his whole life. and remember that phil lesh was listening to the exact same thing. sometimes in the late 70s or early 80s i was at a lincoln center concert with stockhausen and varese being performed. my pal and i ran into phil on the terrace about to go in. frank would have been there too had he been around. how many other rock stars would go to that show? none?

oh by the way, what's all this bullshit about deadheads being stoned. is there some nonsensical idea here that just because FZ wasn't a drug user, his audience shared his sobriety? anyone believing that was somewhere other than the palladium on halloween 1978.

RIP frank and jerry

carry on, haters.
and remember, tubro loves you all.

Max67 wrote:
The correlation can be found in the time they were active (1966-first half of '90s circa), and in the importance of playing live for them
I also think that both the Dead and FZ believed in the power of music, they both tried to open the minds of their listeners (obviously, with different point of views...), and they both (Garcia and FZ) had a big music personality that it's impossible to find nowadays.
Lucky who saw both of them alive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm 

Here I am Arkay. I love challenging audio!

Fuck no, I'm not a deadhead..... but I like good music and Jerry Garcia wrote and played some good music.

Garcia peaked as a guitarist in 1977. Check out a couple of his intros on Eyes Of The World from that spring. The band itself probably peaked around '70-'73. The balance got fucked up by Mickey Hart. Hart fucks up every Garcia/Hunter ballad. And the way Phil Lesh noodles around on bass it's even worse with Hart cluttering it all up. Lesh can't seem to play in the pocket and with Mickey Hart there is no pocket. No wonder Garcia loved John Kahn so much. Phil Lesh doesn't really play play rock and roll. He can wander in space with the best of 'em, though.

Oh, And Donna G is not actually out of tune-she's just always singing the melodies wrong. Or maybe it's intentional counter-melody but the original melody is what everyone wants to hear.

Another correlation between FZ and the Grateful Dead: I know Zappa was paying attention to advances in live sound being made by the Dead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 am 

So, did you listen to coevad's link? I admit I haven't made it through yet. See if I can make it the rest of the way...

Oh, and I'm definitely in the Anti-Donna Club, Fuckinawful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:42 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Oh, and I'm definitely in the Anti-Donna Club, Fuckinawful

Yes, especially during that one break in Playing In the Band. Any performance, any year.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:02 am 

I've always been more of a Weir fan than a Jerry fan. I remember seeing one of Weir's guitars highlighted in a Guitar Player magazine in the early 80s and have listened closely to his playing ever since. I like his solo album Ace and consider it part of the regular Dead catalog.
That said, I can hardly ever stand to hear Playing in the Band anymore. Its in a jillion live shows and many have the seasick Donna moa-a-whoa-ning through em. She single-handedly fucked up a lot of otherwise good Dead albums that I skip through because of any songs that feature her. There are at least a few albums and shows that I keep meaning to go back and revisit but, then I either bail because I forgot she was on it or have to skip through to find Donnaless tunes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am 

I remember an interview from way back ,Jerry says Bob was almost cut from the band as his playing was not good , he hadn't been playing for long and was still learning guitar, he managed to get better through the years, i am most fond of jerrys solo work mainly with grismon here is the album to get if you have never heard of them or want just one, mama tried is one of my favs.Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:39 pm 

That said, I can hardly ever stand to hear Playing in the Band anymore. Its in a jillion live shows and many have the seasick Donna moa-a-whoa-ning through em. She single-handedly fucked up a lot of otherwise good Dead albums that I skip through because of any songs that feature her. There are at least a few albums and shows that I keep meaning to go back and revisit but, then I either bail because I forgot she was on it or have to skip through to find Donnaless tunes.

I never tire of hearing Playing, Donna notwithstanding. It's one of my favorite Dead tunes.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 am 

I was a little too late to the party to be called a DeadHead, not that it stops me from loving their music.

Also, for those who don't know, a 50th Anniversary rockumentary is coming :!:

http://deadline.com/2014/10/grateful-dead-documentary-martin-scorsese-amir-bar-lev-858802/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:16 am 

The infamous Wall Of Sound:
My brother used to own a couple of these cabinets. One of them had one 15" driver, and the other had two 12" drivers.

After he died, his daughter got all his stuff. She probably didn't know what those speakers were. I figure she either threw them out or gave them away...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:55 pm 

Currently trying to enjoy the parts of Scarlet Begonias that aren't ruined by Donna...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
I like his [Weirs] solo album Ace

This is very good too

Yes, this is very good too

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 am 

Could this be the last concert ever?

Last edited by coevad on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next