Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 pm 

I seen way more Grateful Dead shows than Zappa shows, but Frank popped my cherry...his was my first concert I ever saw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 am 

Dead & Company July 7th 2018 @ Dodger Stadium.

Jerry Garcia, Pigpen & Brent Mydland holograms? Probably not, but I may get a cheap seat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:29 pm 

coevad wrote:
Dead & Company

So without Jerry Garcia it can still be called Grateful Dead but if Phil Lesh isn't there it can't be called Grateful Dead?

In yet another example of what a worthless rag Rolling Stone magazine is...
they posted this
"Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame No Shows: Jerry Garcia, 1994
The Grateful Dead frontman didn't show up at his induction, reportedly because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The rest of the Dead disagreed, and they brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage.
"

"The rest of the Dead" did not disagree. Robert Hunter also did not show, and as any listener who is paying attention knows, Robert Hunter is the second main ingredient in the Grateful Dead. Garcia and Hunter go way back. They were the first two members of the Dead to meet and form a band together. They wrote almost all of the Dead's great songs together. It's not a coincidence that they snubbed the HOF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:50 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
So without Jerry Garcia it can still be called Grateful Dead but if Phil Lesh isn't there it can't be called Grateful Dead?

Pretty much since Jerry died, it's been something other than The Grateful Dead. The played as "The Grateful Dead" at the Fare The Well shows to honor their 50th anniversary and to basically put an "end" to it. The end is because Phil said although he will continue to play, he is lo longer interested in touring.

Names they have been

Further
The Dead
The Other Ones
Further (again)
Dead & Company

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:14 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
coevad wrote:
Dead & Company

In yet another example of what a worthless rag Rolling Stone magazine is...
they posted this
"Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame No Shows: Jerry Garcia, 1994
The Grateful Dead frontman didn't show up at his induction, reportedly because he was opposed to the whole idea of a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The rest of the Dead disagreed, and they brought a cardboard cut-out of the singer onstage.
"

"The rest of the Dead" did not disagree. Robert Hunter also did not show, and as any listener who is paying attention knows, Robert Hunter is the second main ingredient in the Grateful Dead. Garcia and Hunter go way back. They were the first two members of the Dead to meet and form a band together. They wrote almost all of the Dead's great songs together. It's not a coincidence that they snubbed the HOF.

Ahhh, who give a fu ck anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 am 

Jerry not being there isn't a deal-breaker for me. I've seen The Dead and Dead and The Other Ones and had a great time. But, I won't go see any version with John Mayer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 am 

This Band does it for me and I believe coevad... :idea:

https://www.cubensis.com/show-calendar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:53 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Jerry not being there isn't a deal-breaker for me. I've seen The Dead and Dead and The Other Ones and had a great time. But, I won't go see any version with John Mayer.

Hey, leave The Mayor out of this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 pm 

The only thing to ever redeem the presence of Mickey Hart on drums was Jerry Garcia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:49 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
The only thing to ever redeem the presence of Mickey Hart on drums was Jerry Garcia.

Not sure why you say that but it's ironic that after the first time Mickey sat in with the band, Jerry said something along the lines of "that's it, that's the Grateful Dead".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 pm 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Not sure why you say that

Mickey Hart fucks up every Hunter/Garcia ballad. For example, he clutters up the end of Stella Blue when JG is trying to develop a gentle solo. He misses the beat often. He's not very good. His unnecessary tom rolls are so annoying. Butch Trucks has even said Hart couldn't play drums. Butch knows what he's talking about. I laughed and agreed with him when I saw that. Hart, combined with Lesh's incessant wanderings during actual songs makes the dead often sound very untogether. Hart is good during drum sections and some of the long jams but he's in the way almost everywhere else.

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
it's ironic that after the first time Mickey sat in with the band, Jerry said something along the lines of "that's it, that's the Grateful Dead".

Sure. In 1968 during the free form jams it was fresh and new to have a second percussionist. Garcia was a very nice guy. After Mickey left Kruetzman didn't want him back. (if you need a source: Kruetzman's book). Clearly by the 80s Garcia was frustrated with the racket. In 1976, after MH rejoined, Garcia made them all slow everything down to try and get Hart back into the groove. Many of those shows from fall of '76 until the end of the year are painful. Even Donna wasn't as detrimental as Hart.

I grew up around the pranksters. I never felt the need to pretend JG wasn't sick of the Dead in the later years. Just look how far they strayed from his philosophy after he died. Fare Thee Well was the very thing JG fought against for 30 years: Crass exploitation of the fan base.

Here's another opinion that might hold some weight:
"The Dead ended when Garcia died" - Robert Hunter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 pm 

I’m not a GD fan (They’re probably the most famous rock band that I’ve never even spent one dollar on) but I remember some interview with Terry Bozzio where he was talking about how neat it was to having diversity in music (he referred to the GD as a band that took a lot of acid). When asked if Mickey Hart was a good drummer he just said “no”.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 am 

I can't say that I'm an expert on drummers, and i do recall in Bill's book where he said he didn't want him back, but he never said why (though he did say at one point that whatever his issues were, they were now behind him). Also he seemed to be alone in that opinion (within the band, I mean). In fact in Phil's book, I recall him saying that Mickey left on his own (because of what his dad had done) with the understanding that he was welcome back at any time.

I know Bob has nixed songs like Lost Sailor because he said the "drummers" couldn't get it right, but I don't ever recall him citing Hart directly.

....and Bill and Mickey remain friends and united (neither wanted any part of Furthur, both seem to be enjoying Dead & Co.)

I myself, I have always seen Bill as the drummer and Mickey as a percussionist, primarily into different instruments. And honestly, I've never said to myself, "Mickey's an issue".

Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:09 pm 

$174.00 for the field seats and GA. $45.00 upper decks. $74.00 - $94.00 lower. That's not too bad. I would never pay top dollar for any version of the Dead. Also, no large demand for tickets. It will be a slow sell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10