Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 pm 

If you're in this picture, you're a Deadhead...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:49 am 

Good deal to watch all five shows at home. A friend is buying the whole package. I'll definitely catch more than one show.

http://insight.adsrvr.org/track/clk?ch= ... Fdead50%2F

I'm playing at a block party on the 4th, so I'll miss that one. We'll have to learn some GD for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:56 am 

Bill Kreutzman's new book is subtitled 3 decades...with the Grateful Dead. 3, not 5.

Garcia refused to allow the Dead to be in the Monterey Pop film. He refused to be in the Woodstock movie. He refused to play at Altamont. He refused to release the "Festival Express" train tour as a film. He refused to turn Watkins Glen into a movie/album. He refused to release Egypt '78 as a commercial product. He allowed bootlegging of concerts. He paid his longtime roadies like executives. He bought land for his friends to live on.

Now we have pay per view.

Robert Hunter, March 2015:

"It always felt like it would never end. And then all of a sudden it was gone. It was gone with Garcia".

"I loved that band (grateful dead) until I didn't give a damn about 'em."

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:20 pm 

From Bill Kreutzman's new book:

"There have been a plethora of tribute bands- perhaps too many- and then, too, a lion's den of copycat bands. That's a huge compliment and I'm respectful of that aspect, but it doesn't make me feel especially proud, because those bands don't really honor the true spirit of the Grateful Dead...music should never be stagnant".

Sounds like what I've been saying here on this forum. Thanks for the back up, Bill.

More from Kreutzman:
"Jerry told me that music was such a joy to play, and that it meant so much to people to hear it, that it should be given away for free".

"the sad fact is that, after Garcia died, some people in my band changed".

I rest my case.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:32 pm 

^Does this mean you're not tuning in?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:46 pm 

We're in for all 5; I have seen the Dead a couple times, they were best in Fall '73, at least as far as I can witness to.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:14 pm 

coevad wrote:
^Does this mean you're not tuning in?

Yep.

edited for clarity

Last edited by downer mydnyte on Sun May 17, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:32 pm 

I will say this. I may be wrong, but I don't think any of the magic will be there. And just like the end of the Garcia era, there will be a ton of people there that have no idea what the spirit of the music was about. I wonder how many merch tables will be set up by people who weren't even born when Garcia died?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:57 pm 

Watched this with my son the other night on Netflix. Not bad if you are into documentaries.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:15 am 

June 12-July 24
California mission by Jerry Garcia

The Art of Rock Legends
A benefit exhibition featuring artwork by iconic 60’s musicians, artists and photographers will be on display and for sale at Art Works Downtown, 1337 4th Street in San Rafael, June 12 through July 24th. This benefit will be the first project in the United States of The Jerry Garcia Foundation and will feature over 20 original artworks by Jerry, with several for sale. Original artwork has also been donated by Carlos Santana, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Marty Balin, Commander Cody, Mickey Hart, Dave Getz, and more, with all of this work for sale. Top rock & roll photographers of the era have also donated their work, including Baron Wolman, the first Chief of Photography for Rolling Stone magazine, Robert Altman, Graham Nash, Jay Blakesberg and Richard Pechner. The exhibition will also include outstanding rock posters from artists Stanley Mouse, Pat Ryan, Arlene Owseichik, Shane Grogg and Roberta Weir.
Preview Party
The Art of Rock Legends Preview Party, Friday, June 12 from 5-8pm, will be open to the public as part of Art Works Downtown 2nd Friday Art Walk.

July 6,7,8
Rock & Roll Film Festival

Rock & Roll Film Festival
A Rock & Roll Film Festival will be held July 6-8 at the Smith Rafael Film Center with live bands and special guests. The Film Festival will feature films and documentaries on Jerry Garcia, Grateful Dead, plus other rock & roll films. Tickets will be available through the Smith Rafael Film Center, date to be announced.

July 11
TRPS Logo

San Rafael Rocks Block Party
On July 11, a fabulous Block Party will be held in downtown San Rafael featuring Rock Art by the Bay, the annual Summer Art Show presented by TRPS, The Rock Poster Art Society. This extraordinary art show will feature over 25
of the world’s renowned rock poster artists. We’ll be partying in the streets with rock bands, free children’s art activities, fabulous food from local restaurants, beverages and much more. Open to the public with no admission charge.

July 17
Fenix Music

Fenix Music Benefit
Fenix is a total revolution in live music and dining. On July 17, Fenix is producing a special evening benefit and tribute to the music of Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders, Sr. The event is being orchestrated by Merl Saunders, Jr. and will include many top Bay Area musicians.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:10 pm 

I know nobody cares, but I hate the Grateful Dead's music, culture, attitude, and the way they smell. I've been to 2 GD concerts and the people who follow them are spaced out freaks who don't know anything about real life 'cause they're all spoiled middle-class brats who rebel against their privileged upbringing by doing a bunch of drugs, following tours around the country courtesy of their parent's credit cards and acting like they're better than everyone else.

The Dead's music is so unstructured and rambling and repetitive I just want to punch someone in the face when I hear it. It's aimless and pointless, sort of like the music that Phish plays, but with far less technical mastery.

There is no connection between what Zappa's managed to accomplish and the Grateful Dead's musical pile of shit, save for the reference to them to illustrate the attitude of a spoiled middle-class brat in Teenage Wind.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:25 pm 

McMick wrote:
I know nobody cares, but I hate the Grateful Dead's music, culture, attitude, and the way they smell. I've been to 2 GD concerts and the people who follow them are spaced out freaks who don't know anything about real life 'cause they're all spoiled middle-class brats who rebel against their privileged upbringing by doing a bunch of drugs, following tours around the country courtesy of their parent's credit cards and acting like they're better than everyone else.

The Dead's music is so unstructured and rambling and repetitive I just want to punch someone in the face when I hear it. It's aimless and pointless, sort of like the music that Phish plays, but with far less technical mastery.

There is no connection between what Zappa's managed to accomplish and the Grateful Dead's musical pile of shit, save for the reference to them to illustrate the attitude of a spoiled middle-class brat in Teenage Wind.

At least you're not the type to generalize....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:43 pm 

Ticketmaster released a block of tix last night sooo... I scored two tix to the Dead show in Santa Clara on the 28th. I'll admit it. :oops:
I've seen the Dead a lot over the years, but this is the 1st time I've paid over a couple a bucks...and Jerry was there then too! I opted for the Sunday night show rather than Sat night. It's been my experience they just play better on Sundays rather than Sat.. That must be their day to drop acid or something. :twisted:

They're selling tix to the parking lot festivities separate. Wanna buy some really old brown acid Bob? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 pm 

coevad wrote:

They sure fucked that promo up. 50 years of HIS music with the GD? He was there for 30. It's off by 20 years. Hope it helps the charities, though.

McMick wrote:
I've been to 2 GD concerts and the people who follow them are spaced out freaks who don't know anything about real life 'cause they're all spoiled middle-class brats

You must have not seen all the homeless that went to shows just so they would have a place to sleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:55 am 

McMick wrote:

Your 2 concerts must have been after Touch Of Grey. There were no middle classed brats following the Dead around before that.

McMick wrote:
The Dead's music is so unstructured and rambling and repetitive I just want to punch someone in the face when I hear it.

You and jayfpunk will get along just fine. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:25 pm 

With the approach of the shows, there are a couple retrospective features out there....

I got the Newsweek one a couple weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good. It was a cross balance of history, shows, albums etc... I wanted more since it seemed to scratch the surface rather than be "definitive". So yesterday, I got the Life one. It was full o' cultural references, but little else. When I saw it on the stand, I thought, "cool pix, gotta get it". There are some great pix of decorated fan envelopes requesting tickets. I thought with it being Life, it would be full of great pix. There were a few, plus a bunch of familiar ones. The writing was lame. Full of "Jerry was always may favorite" or "Anyone who was there doesn't remember" type shit. Grace Slick has never been a great thinker imo and this was no different with her article. There were 2 pages devoted to Mountain Girl! Whoopee! It starts out like this and doesn't get better:

"I don't know that this is the proper introduction for this book, a fact that surprises me a bit, since I've written, like, 200 introductions for LIFE Books in the past 15 years. I should know what to do by now, right? I have no intimate involvement with the Grateful Dead, so why am I even writing in the first person here?"

The rest of the writing was as lackluster. Of course, there were moments. It didn't All Suck, but alot did.
Ultimately, neither one satisfied. But, if I had to pick one, Newsweek wins.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:22 pm 

Thanx RK, good to know. 8)

The Life cover even looks hokey. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:54 pm 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
The Life cover even looks hokey. :roll:

It does. :)

If you want some great pictures, then pick up this book. Malachi gave me this as a gift, and it is full of great pictures. 365 to be exact. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:08 pm 

Thanx for the recommend! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:21 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Thanx for the recommend! :)

+1 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:05 am 

^Enjoy the show you Deadhead take pics!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:15 am 

I just found out I picked a seat from a different chart. My seats say no stage view and they're nosebleed seats. When purchasing I had a seat chart right next to the price range. The 400 numbers where just off the floor area and they're selling the same seat numbers for 40 bucks less now! I'll make the best of it. Cletus called and left a message, but hasn't called back yet. Hookin up with him will be fun, but what a switcheroo they pulled on me. Capitalist pigs!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am 

Kirk, have a great time!
I get to walk out my door and be in a PFunk show,
a couple blocks from here there's a free show :shock:

I'm at a loss for words and my posts are all over the map today.
But I'm apoplectic and I gotta move

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:36 am 

^Ticket woes. Whatayagonnado-eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:51 am 

punknaynowned wrote:
Kirk, have a great time!
I get to walk out my door and be in a PFunk show,
a couple blocks from here there's a free show :shock:

I'm at a loss for words and my posts are all over the map today.
But I'm apoplectic and I gotta move

Some of the best concerts I've been to were free ones! have a great time punk! I know you will, from your pics it looks to be a gas, gas, gas!!! :wink: :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next