Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Tix went on sale at a time when I couldn't get the cash. I told a friend about the show and he agreed to get em and I'll pay back on payday. They were $90, 120 and 160. I agreed to 90 and his wife would order them when they went on sale. She logged on 1 minute after they went on sale. $90 tix were gone, so now I'm going to the show with $120 (+ fees) tix. A tragedy, of course. :)

Which show are you attending?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:39 am 

Friday show in Chicago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:46 am 

I was under the assumption that Fripp created a new lineup that just happens to not have Belew in it. But, interviews seemed to have been loaded and I'm wondering if I'm the last person to realize that RF and AB have bad blood.

from Sep 2013:

q: are you in the new King Crimson planned for next september 2014?

a: no. after 32 years I am no longer in King Crimson.

q: were you asked to be in the new King Crimson?

a: no, I was not. robert informed me in an email that he was starting a 7-piece version of the band. he said I would not be right for what the band is doing.
Additionally, the question “So, how do you feel?” was answered with an upbeat ”Happy with what I have to be happy with … which is quite a lot.” Specifically, Belew said that he’s moving forward with the type of projects that have kept him busy over the past couple of decades, including a tour of South America with his Power Trio and a European tour next spring with the Crimson Project, which performs King Crimson music. “Life is great,” he wrote.

Belew was one of the most popular members of King Crimson, who have turned over countless musicians since their formation in the late ’60s. Fripp, who founded the group, remains the only original member. Details are slim on what the new version of the band will look like, but Fripp says it will include three drummers.

The guitarist’s Facebook post ends with one final question about the King Crimson reunion: “What would you like to say to crimson fans about the new King Crimson?” Belew’s diplomatic reply: “My advice is to check it out and if you like it, support it.” Stay tuned on whether or not fans feel the same way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:43 am 

Adrian was so much fun to watch on the Discipline tour, it seems weird not to have him included on the current one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 am 

New material!

http://youtu.be/nI4LSgqOQmw

This sounds wicked!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:11 am 

I'm rediscovering this band big time recently, especially the live stuff. Absent Lovers is outstanding, Night Watch is great too as well as VROOOM VROOOM.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am 

Lark's Tongue '72

http://youtu.be/ljg6POAc2N4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 am 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
Discipline.

Not Crimso

Surely?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 am 

Florentine Pogen wrote:
Discipline.

Not Crimso

Surely?

Who's not what in the where now?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:13 am 

I'll be going with an opened mind.

Prog-rock pioneers King Crimson will not be playing their signature album In the Court of the Crimson King on their upcoming US tour - and guitarist Robert Fripp is urging fans expecting to hear it to sell their seats for a profit.

The legendary supergroup is making a live comeback in September with a 17-date trek around the States, the band's first US gigs since 2008.

However, band leader Fripp is warning fans not to attend the shows if they have a set idea of what tracks they want to hear the band play, as they will be in for a disappointing evening.

He tells Uncut magazine, "A guiding King Crimson principle is the music is new whenever it was written. So it's all new music. What I will say is, if you are coming with the explicit or implicit demand that you need to hear this music or that then don't come. And if you've already bought tickets, sell them to someone and you might make a profit.

"The point is with Crimson, if you come with an open mind, generally something worthwhile happens. If you don't, it's less likely. If you go there thinking, 'If I don't hear In the Court of the Crimson King I will have a lousy show', then you will have a lousy show. It's not on the setlist."

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/King-Crimson-All ... z3A0e3NAuN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:30 am 

Fripp would probably qualify it and say something like "An open mind is attempted, never achieved." Hahaha

Court of the Crimson King is a good album, but has never been a favorite of mine. I have many favorite King Crimson albums and I love their improvisation in general. I just hope Fripp's comments aren't code for "We can get away with nothing but improv, so we will.".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 am 

Not a surprise at all, I saw Mayall in 73, with the jazz blues fusion band, (Keefe Hartley, Blue Mitchell....),and some in the audience were still calling out for a little chicka,chicka.... He said no , not any more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:45 am 

This one of those shows where I'm gonna try hard not to look at a setlist. Going in blind is a good idea sometimes. I just hope Mel Collins will get some improv solos.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am 

Crimson - tube

http://youtu.be/XYru1JoobMQ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:42 am 

Levin's the backbone

http://www.timesunion.com/default/artic ... 731662.php

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:17 am 

The three drummers -- Mastelloto, Harrison, and Rieflin -- are all great. I heard their 'solo' (trio) and thought it was both subtle and complex enough to hold the interest.

I won't be going to the shows (old ears can no longer handle concert volume), but I'll certainly be buying a few of the recordings. Assuming, that is, that they'll be for sale at the usual place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:04 pm 

Looks like the mellotron will be featured as the article mentions that one of the drummers Bill Rieflin will double on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:03 pm 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Looks like the mellotron will be featured as the article mentions that one of the drummers Bill Rieflin will double on it.

So that Fripp can play more guitar maybe? In the rehearsal pics, RF has some keys in his set up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:03 pm 

coevad wrote:
I just hope Mel Collins will get some improv solos.

Yell out for Formentera Lady.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:45 am 

yea do that ,I'll bet they enjoy fans like that, yell real loud.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:24 am 

coevad wrote:

So that Fripp can play more guitar maybe? In the rehearsal pics, RF has some keys in his set up.

Looks like the 'tron will be a virtual one, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07sJg2BnRw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

...and take lots of photos and shoot video, and yell while your filming too. They'll love it. Thanks dm. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:53 am 

More pics from Tony's tour diaries.

http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_8.htm

A goat has joined the band and Tony Levin thinks he is Kurt Morgan of ZPZ (nice pants Tony) 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:50 pm 

coevad wrote:
More pics from Tony's tour diaries.

http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_8.htm

A goat has joined the band and Tony Levin thinks he is Kurt Morgan of ZPZ (nice pants Tony) 8)

Nice ones!

Okay, so far I've seen reedman Mel Collins (who was great for 1970-72 incarnation, but wasted his talent noodling away on soprano sax on A Scarcity of Miracles or rather, A Scarcity of Anything But A Wimpy Soprano) handle flute, alto, baritone and soprano saxophones on these photographs. I hope the latter instrument won't dominate too much. Then again, I rather suspect the new KC will not sound as mellow as Scarcity did, so there's hope it will sound fine and balanced.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:33 pm 

coevad wrote:
BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

...and take lots of photos and shoot video, and yell while your filming too. They'll love it. Thanks dm. :roll:

I just wanna make sure you know I was joking. I wouldn't want you to think that I'm one of those assholes who would yell out for songs at a king crimson concert. However, if I heard someone yell for a Belew tune at these shows I would probably chuckle.

Okay, so far I've seen reedman Mel Collins (who was great for 1970-72 incarnation, but wasted his talent noodling away on soprano sax on A Scarcity of Miracles or rather, A Scarcity of Anything But A Wimpy Soprano) handle flute, alto, baritone and soprano saxophones on these photographs.

I'm curious to hear what he does. If he's still got some fire in him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next