Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:27 am 

Nice post Arkay. I have a friend who saw Keith Jarrett solo in Paris a few months ago where he suddenly got pissed at someone coughing. He stopped and asked whether that was really necessary. The person had the guts to respond that it apparently was, and Keith walked off. He was booed by the audience. When I saw him two years ago in Copenhagen with his trio, he stopped and started analyzing the (new) hall's acoustics, concluding it was not suited for ballads. Oh well, stay home if you don't want to endure other people and other environments.

By the way, on Tony Levin's great blog on the KC tour, we see here the precise moment where he destroys the Allan Holdsworth gig at the Iridium in NY:
Well, double standards are apparently better than none.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 am 

Thanks for posting that HJ. I didn't know there was a recent KJ instance. I looked up yer story and it happened just this last July:

http://slippedisc.com/2014/07/keith-jarrett-is-disgraced-in-paris/

I'm sure Tony Levin feels terrible for ruining AH's performance, what a shame he couldn't have more discipline! Harharhar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 am 

I made Tony's diaries! I'm just behind the guy with the CRIMSON license plate.

http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_18.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:16 am 

... I couldn't find myself! I think I'm blocked although I remember Tony taking the pics!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:18 am 

John Kelman at All About Jazz reviews the San Francisco gigs:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/king-crimso ... DptitSUeJl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:49 pm 

Hilarious that DGM guestbook peeps are flipping out that there's no DVD :lol: . Honestly you're not missing much, visually. From a drummer's standpoint if the cameras were on the frontline for the whole show, it would be cool to watch, but you know that's not how DVDs are filmed. Glad I obtained a recording of the show I went to, and will gladly purchase a show from DGM if there is a CD release, Collector's Club style.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:39 am 

Maybe some audio downloads next year.

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4894

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:45 am 

Robert Fripp confirms revamped line-up are in the studio - and lists potential UK tour stops

Robert Fripp has confirmed King Crimson are working on three new tracks in the studio.

Pictures on the band's Facebook page show Fripp and colleague Jakko Jakszyk collaborating on recording work, and the mainman says they're “mapping out ideas for three new pieces.”

Last week he revealed plans to bring the latest incarnation of the band to the UK in 2015. Now he says the prospective run of shows might not include London, because he wants to avoid insulting the rest of Britain.

Fripp tells TeamRock: “We’re looking actively at possible venues in the UK and maybe just a few in Europe – but very limited.

“What we’re not looking at doing is one or two shows in London, which is the conventional approach. It’s always struck me that to do a tour of England that only takes place in London is an insult. It’s an insult to the country, if you like. So my idea of an English tour would be to actually avoid London."

He says it's a challenge to find venues that are "workable and available" but adds: "We’re looking at Glasgow or Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and maybe something in the London area, though not necessarily London itself.

"I can’t say whether it’s feasible or not – but that’s the plan right now.”

Fripp recently described the current lineup, featuring Jakszyk, Mel Collins, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Gavin Harrison and Bill Rieflin, as the first with which he’s genuinely enjoyed touring. He said: “It’s the first Crimson where I don’t sense any animosity or resentment from at least one member. This is a group from the get-go; the money is divided equally.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:43 pm 

This is a bit off topic, but since only Fripperoonies will be reading this - there's a rather good article about an album that Fripp did with Daryll Hall, of all people, called "Sacred Songs" in "Mojo" this month. Is it really worth a listen or is "Mojo" overegging the...er...egg?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:14 pm 

Listening on youtube now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g47LDjqybY

Not into it, but wasn't really expecting to be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:25 pm 

Meanwhile, I saw Adrian Belew in concert in Chicago last week. Damn fine show. Added bonus: He played City of Tiny Lights for his 2nd encore...... :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:47 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Meanwhile, I saw Adrian Belew in concert in Chicago last week. Damn fine show. Added bonus: He played City of Tiny Lights for his 2nd encore...... :)

COTL in it's entirety?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:44 pm 

Yup. The whole thing, with solo. Did my heart good.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 am 

Fripp's touring rig 2014

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ipp-609374

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:11 am 

Mini live album? We want the whole thing.

http://youtu.be/sXJ3cJ9Et-Y?list=UUBxEf ... oh2MAQR7zQ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:01 am 

It's Ready!
Attachment:
kc la.jpg

King Crimson Live At The Orpheum is now available for pre-order at Inner Knot (America) and Burning Shed (Europe). King Crimson has performed, recorded & released material in its own inimitable manner for the past 46 years. As the band enters its 47th year of operation in 2015, the occasion is marked with the first release culled from the band’s Autumn 2014 US tour. Comprised of 41 minutes of material by the newest incarnation of the band fronted by the line-up’s formidable three drummer setup, Live At The Orpheum has been mixed from 24bit multi-track performances recorded at the band’s two concerts at the Los Angeles venue. Featuring a mixture of new & old King Crimson material – some being performed live for the first time – the album makes an ideal recorded debut for the septet.

For those who travelled from all over the world to see the US shows, it’s an opportunity to relive the power, precision & sheer musicality of the concerts. For those who couldn’t attend but wanted to, it’s an opportunity to hear why the concerts generated such excitement. For any fan of the band, recent or long-term, it’s an essential purchase. With further concerts being planned for 2015, Live At The Orpheum is the perfect start for a new year of King Crimson music.

Track listing:

CD (16/44.1 stereo), DVD-A (24/96 Hi-Res stereo)

1 Walk On: Monk Morph Chamber Music
2 One More Red Nightmare
3 Banshee Legs Bell Hassle
4 The ConstruKction of Light
5 The Letters
6 Sailor’s Tale
7 Starless

Gavin Harrison - Pat Mastelotto – Bill Rieflin - Mel Collins - Robert Fripp - Jakko Jakszyk - Tony Levin

Recorded Sept. 30th, October 1st at The Orpheum Theatre, Los Angeles
Front Line: Mixed & Engineered by Gavin Harrison
Back Line: Mixed by Jakko Jakszyk & Robert Fripp
Production Engineer: Jakko Jakszyk
Live Recording Engineer: Mark Vreeken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:23 pm 

No Red? :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:49 pm 

Hi,

The Seattle Show was a massive blow out, and it was enough that metal bands look like kids in the garage playing with their weewees! The quality was magnificent, and the 3 drummers together were ... out of this world ... you have to see it ... I hope you do, because it was not only magnificent, it was magical and it was the pure definition of music, and what people can do WITH IT, TO IT, AND ABOUT IT!

There was only one other show I have ever seen, where the quality of the musicianship and staging and definition of terms, and such, on the stage, were above and beyond the call of duty, and it was "Return to Forever" with Ponti, a couple of years ago. This show, reaches that level and some, and leaves you breathless.

The double CD they sell IS NOT any of the concerts, and it had way too many studio bits for my tastes, many of which were not one half as good as what they did on the stage at that show. I'm already looking for a bootleg ... because that was a massive show! And to damn good to be wasted in the vaults of nothingness. In the very end, KC will be hurting itself, if it can not show that they are a force to deal with ... but hiding that force is stupid!

Btw, I do not have a set list for the Seattle show ... I am not sure that it was close to the one Stack listed, but 21st was the encore and there was one more bittie in the middle of it, with the obligatory drum solo by Gavin ... which was not necessary, but gave it the ROCK crowd another erection. It was very nice and wonderful to watch the 3 drummers just kick ass!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:04 pm 

What the hell is happening to the English language? A blowout is a disaster. A budget blowout for example. This trend in the last couple of decades to co opt words for their opposite meaning - is it really such a good thing? Or is it totally moronic? By which I mean pure genius. Fully sick bra.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:40 pm 

Moshkito wrote:
Hi,

The Seattle Show was a massive blow out, and it was enough that metal bands look like kids in the garage playing with their weewees! The quality was magnificent, and the 3 drummers together were ... out of this world ... you have to see it ... I hope you do, because it was not only magnificent, it was magical and it was the pure definition of music, and what people can do WITH IT, TO IT, AND ABOUT IT!

There was only one other show I have ever seen, where the quality of the musicianship and staging and definition of terms, and such, on the stage, were above and beyond the call of duty, and it was "Return to Forever" with Ponti, a couple of years ago. This show, reaches that level and some, and leaves you breathless.

The double CD they sell IS NOT any of the concerts, and it had way too many studio bits for my tastes, many of which were not one half as good as what they did on the stage at that show. I'm already looking for a bootleg ... because that was a massive show! And to damn good to be wasted in the vaults of nothingness. In the very end, KC will be hurting itself, if it can not show that they are a force to deal with ... but hiding that force is stupid!

Btw, I do not have a set list for the Seattle show ... I am not sure that it was close to the one Stack listed, but 21st was the encore and there was one more bittie in the middle of it, with the obligatory drum solo by Gavin ... which was not necessary, but gave it the ROCK crowd another erection. It was very nice and wonderful to watch the 3 drummers just kick ass!!!!!

The Moore Theatre, Seattle 2014

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Pictures of a City
VROOOM
Coda: Marine 475
A Scarcity of Miracles
(Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins cover)
Red
Hell Bells
The ConstruKction of Light
Level Five
The Talking Drum
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two
Interlude
The Letters
Sailor's Tale
The Light of Day
(Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins cover)
One More Red Nightmare
Starless
Encore:
Hell Hounds of Krim
21st Century Schizoid Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:37 pm 

Kind of silly to call those two songs "Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins covers" when Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins were there playing them!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:25 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Kind of silly to call those two songs "Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins covers" when Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins were there playing them!

+1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:31 am 

^ I copied and pasted from setlist.fm They do that to all bands setlists. I didn't notice 'til now. Oh well. Cat's out of the bag...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:09 pm 

I know...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:15 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I know...

Good eye, King Crimson guy...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next