Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:49 pm
Posts: 1839
Location: The White Zone
As becomes evident every year during the All Star Break: There's nothing else on TV.

_________________
There isn't much chance that you'll get people to like you. The best that most folks can hope for is that people will put up with their shit. MTF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 17301
Location: LumberTruckWest
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Dodgers' Vin Scully to return in 2016

Image

It’s time for Dodger baseball without Vin Scully? Not yet, to the relief and gratitude of Los Angeles.

Scully, the Dodgers’ Hall of Fame broadcaster, announced Friday he would return in 2016. The season will be his 67th as the voice of the Dodgers.

The team revealed his decision on the video board at Dodger Stadium, to a raucous ovation, after the second inning of Friday night’s game against the Chicago Cubs.

Scully said nothing in the video. The decision was revealed on a succession of cue cards from Jimmy Kimmel, including two reading: “For one more year,” followed by “(at least).”

Scully turns 88 in November. Over the last few years, he has cut back his schedule – he no longer travels to regular-season games outside California – as fans have wondered whether each season might be his last.

Cubs Manager Joe Maddon scooped the Dodgers on Scully’s announcement of his decision.

“He’ll announce it tonight,” Maddon said before the game. Maddon would not reveal the decision but said, “I was happy about what he said.”

Maddon said he never has asked to take a picture with anyone. Until Friday, that is, when he got a photo taken with Scully. That was after Scully asked about Maddon’s mother, who runs the family diner in Hazleton, Pennsylvania.

“To get my photograph taken with him is very special,” Maddon said.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9034
I used to love baseball as a kid and as a young adult. Now it's probably the biggest thing I used to love but don't anymore. T


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2690
KUIII wrote:
I used to love baseball as a kid and as a young adult. Now it's probably the biggest thing I used to love but don't anymore. T

I still like and watch the Little League World Series and will always be a SF Giants faithful. (unless they move from SF, then all bets are off)
I'd still rather watch a Giants game over a Santa Clara 49er's game.

Pennsylvania won the USA title today, so the LL world series game should be tomorrow. I didn't catch who won the international brackett. Thats who they'll play for all the marbles! :D

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9034
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I used to love baseball as a kid and as a young adult. Now it's probably the biggest thing I used to love but don't anymore. T

I still like and watch the Little League World Series and will always be a SF Giants faithful. (unless they move from SF, then all bets are off)
I'd still rather watch a Giants game over a Santa Clara 49er's game.

Pennsylvania won the USA title today, so the LL world series game should be tomorrow. I didn't catch who won the international brackett. Thats who they'll play for all the marbles! :D

When I was a kid Red Bluff, CA played in the LL championship at Wiliamsport. Their big star and pitcher was a guy named Mark Keluche who I remember playing against in middle school basketball. They also had a guy named Gale Gilbert who I played high school basketball against. Gilbert ended up being a quarterback at Cal Berkley and a pro for the Seatlle Seahawks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2690
KUIII wrote:
KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I used to love baseball as a kid and as a young adult. Now it's probably the biggest thing I used to love but don't anymore. T

I still like and watch the Little League World Series and will always be a SF Giants faithful. (unless they move from SF, then all bets are off)
I'd still rather watch a Giants game over a Santa Clara 49er's game.

Pennsylvania won the USA title today, so the LL world series game should be tomorrow. I didn't catch who won the international brackett. Thats who they'll play for all the marbles! :D

When I was a kid Red Bluff, CA played in the LL championship at Wiliamsport. Their big star and pitcher was a guy named Mark Keluche who I remember playing against in middle school basketball. They also had a guy named Gale Gilbert who I played high school basketball against. Gilbert ended up being a quarterback at Cal Berkley and a pro for the Seatlle Seahawks.

Lucky guy! We only dreamt of going. We'd win our division, but that's about it. The paper would say something like: KK pitches 1st no hitter of season or my favorite, KK with Lutz Ford hit a grand slam in a losing effort to Whitecliff Roofing yesterday.... :roll: Good memories! 8) :)

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9034
I just did an internet search and learned Keluche died in 2001 at the age of 39. He weighed 240 lbs. when he was in the LL World Series.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:01 pm
Posts: 2690
KUIII wrote:
I just did an internet search and learned Keluche died in 2001 at the age of 39. He weighed 240 lbs. when he was in the LL World Series.

One of the guys I played with became Kingfish's lead guitarist for awhile. Blew it with heroin, tried to sell Bob Weir's guitars or some such nonsense...

240 pounds was me fattest! Thats too much for a kid that age, you'd think it's not healthy. Seems so. :|

_________________
I'm getting larger as I walk away.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Fan dies after falling from upper deck at Braves-Yankees game

Image

Atlanta (CNN) - A man who fell from the upper deck of Atlanta's Turner Field during the Braves-Yankees game has died, the Atlanta Braves said.

The man tumbled out of the stands during the seventh inning of the game Saturday night as the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez was walking to home plate.

"The Atlanta Braves offer their deepest condolences to the family," the team said in a statement. "At this time, all inquiries will be directed to the Atlanta Police Department, as this is an ongoing investigation."

Atlanta police are still trying to determine why the man fell, but said they do not suspect foul play. They said he is believed to be in his early 60s.

The man tumbled head over feet before hitting the concrete walkway in front of a row of fans. He hit some of the lines attached to the backstop as he fell.

Paramedics worked on him for several minutes before taking him off on an orange backboard, said CNN's Southeast Bureau chief Marylynn Ryan, who was sitting a few sections from where the man landed.

The game continued as fans were escorted from the section where the man lay as a medic performed CPR.

Over the past few years, several people have died from falls at sporting arenas nationwide.

In 2013, a man committed suicide during a Braves-Phillies game when he jumped about 85 feet from an upper level at Turner Field.

In 2011, a 39-year-old man fell to his death while trying to catch a ball at a Texas Rangers game. He stuck out his glove and reached for the ball, but lost his balance and flipped over the railing of the outfield seats, crashing head-first into a scoreboard.

That same year, a man trying to slide down a railing at Coors Field at a Colorado Rockies game fell and died. An autopsy later found marijuana in his system, as well as a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit for driving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 15091
Location: misanthropia
wait... this^ is why baseball matters?


Image

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 4047
Location: Chicago, sort of.
Meanwhile the Cubs are playing great. And Arriata tossed a no-no the other day. It was a beautiful thing. Cubs have a strong candidate for rookie of the year, in Chris Bryant.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 4047
Location: Chicago, sort of.
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Fan dies after falling from upper deck at Braves-Yankees game

Image

Atlanta (CNN) - A man who fell from the upper deck of Atlanta's Turner Field during the Braves-Yankees game has died, the Atlanta Braves said.

The man tumbled out of the stands during the seventh inning of the game Saturday night as the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez was walking to home plate.

"The Atlanta Braves offer their deepest condolences to the family," the team said in a statement. "At this time, all inquiries will be directed to the Atlanta Police Department, as this is an ongoing investigation."

Atlanta police are still trying to determine why the man fell, but said they do not suspect foul play. They said he is believed to be in his early 60s.

The man tumbled head over feet before hitting the concrete walkway in front of a row of fans. He hit some of the lines attached to the backstop as he fell.

Paramedics worked on him for several minutes before taking him off on an orange backboard, said CNN's Southeast Bureau chief Marylynn Ryan, who was sitting a few sections from where the man landed.

The game continued as fans were escorted from the section where the man lay as a medic performed CPR.

Over the past few years, several people have died from falls at sporting arenas nationwide.

In 2013, a man committed suicide during a Braves-Phillies game when he jumped about 85 feet from an upper level at Turner Field.

In 2011, a 39-year-old man fell to his death while trying to catch a ball at a Texas Rangers game. He stuck out his glove and reached for the ball, but lost his balance and flipped over the railing of the outfield seats, crashing head-first into a scoreboard.

That same year, a man trying to slide down a railing at Coors Field at a Colorado Rockies game fell and died. An autopsy later found marijuana in his system, as well as a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit for driving.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Curse of the Billy Goat

The Curse of the Billy Goat is a sports-related curse that was placed on the Chicago Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave a World Series game against the Detroit Tigers at the Cubs' home ballpark of Wrigley Field because his pet goat's odor was bothering other fans. He was outraged and declared, "Them Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more," which has been interpreted to mean that there would never be another World Series game won at Wrigley Field. The Cubs have not won a National League pennant since this incident and have not won a World Series since 1908.

read more here :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Between the Badges
That's the same Billy Goat that inspired SNL's Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger, No Pepsi, Coke skit.

Image

Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Why baseball matters.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6397
Location: Between the Badges
Cubs could take the National League Central Division title tonight! They are up 4-2 in the top of the 6th. (knock on wood) ((no not Kerry Wood)) (((no not Travis Wood either)))

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16545
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Cubs could take the National League Central Division title tonight! They are up 4-2 in the top of the 6th. (knock on wood) ((no not Kerry Wood)) (((no not Travis Wood either)))


I hope they take the whole thing, just so the drought's over with.

Now that I have said that, they are doomed.

Edit: It's 4-4 now.


Last edited by calvin2hikers on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 4542
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
I'm glad I came home early to watch game 5 of the Texas-Toronto series. The seventh inning was some of the craziest shit I've ever seen...

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 33604
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I'm glad I came home early to watch game 5 of the Texas-Toronto series. The seventh inning was some of the craziest shit I've ever seen...

"Leave my butt alone, please!"

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 17301
Location: LumberTruckWest
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I'm glad I came home early to watch game 5 of the Texas-Toronto series. The seventh inning was some of the craziest shit I've ever seen...

I'll bet Geddy Lee is happy.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:11 pm
Posts: 5273
Location: Vancouver, BC
coevad wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
I'm glad I came home early to watch game 5 of the Texas-Toronto series. The seventh inning was some of the craziest shit I've ever seen...

I'll bet Geddy Lee is happy.


His clipboard and him were taking notes...

_________________
"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 5392
Location: Over there! (last)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group