Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Neil young
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:02 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Anything electric, especially live electric. Anyone see his performance of Rocking in the Free World on SNL? This guy totally understands what rock is about.

Yes. That was a great performance!

And the best part? ... Neil understands the meaning of "rocking in a free world" ... and playing it in there is a double whammy ... both SNL and American TV are the worst when it comes to music and exposing ... "rock in a free world" ... so yeah ... he would probably know that he wanted to blow out the audience and the show as much as possible.

I would too.

And so would you, if you knew and thought and understood that!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:52 pm 

Plook wrote:
You guys are overwhelming the new 'B', keep it simple Harvest.

No thanx. I'll keep my recommendations as they are. Alot of Harvest is nice if overrated and I'd never recommend it before the many much better albums available. I'd listen to Year of the Horse dozens of times before I'd put on Harvest if it was my only alternative. Same goes for any of the live titles I listed. And for those interested, FZ didn't much care for Harvest either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 pm 

Yeah...it's hard to go wrong with almost anything he's done. I saw him live for the first time 2 1/2 years ago. And I still remember it being one of the ten best shows I've ever seen.

Some of my favourites are:

Patiently awaiting the CD release...

Without a doubt, one of the five best live albums of all time

One that rarely gets mentioned and it's also Neil's favourite

A return to form, after a lackluster mid 80s period...

Yes, that's right, you heard right, I like it better than Harvest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm 

I have enjoyed Neil in his many incarnations, he usually takes risks...

Check out Chrome Dreams II

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:33 pm 

American Stars 'n Bars, probably should have been mentioned on this thread.

Journey Through the Past, probably shouldn't

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 am 

Maybe there's another NY thread, I dunno, but it looks like this thread was at least before these:

I don't have it, haven't listened to to it. Probably'll get it at some point.

Got this one recently. Liking some of it, others not so much. Mixed bag.

Had this one in my hand at several record stores, but it hasn't made it to the register yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 am 

For relatively recent stuff, I like this one from 2012:

Also Chrome Dreams II, Le Noise, and Greendale.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am 

Monte Wolverton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 am 

Watch Bob Dylan and Neil Young Sing Together for the First Time in 25 Years

They played “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” during a co-headlining show in Ireland

https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-bob-dylan-and-neil-young-sing-together-for-the-first-time-in-25-years/

BY: SAM SODOMSKY JUL 15 2019
ROCK

During their co-headlining show at Kilkenny, Ireland’s Nowlan Park on Sunday night (July 14), Bob Dylan and Neil Young took the stage together for the first time since 1994, as Rolling Stone notes. They performed “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” the traditional hymn that Dylan sang early in his career and later with the Band during the sessions for The Basement Tapes. Last night’s show marked Dylan’s first time performing the song since a Rolling Thunder Revue concert in 1976. Check out videos below.

https://youtu.be/v7CPWyR0cw4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am 

Neil Young & Crazy Horse Share ‘Milky Way’ Single
Aug 30, 20199:15 am PDTScott Bernstein

https://www.jambase.com/article/neil-young-crazy-horse-milky-way-single

Neil Young & Crazy Horse will release Colorado, their first new album in seven years on October 25 via Reprise Records. The band unveiled the LP’s lead single, “Milky Way.”

The quartet consisting of Neil Young, multi-instrumentalist Nils Lofgren, bassist Billy Talbot and drummer Ralph Molina recorded the 10-track LP high in the mountains of Telluride, Colorado this past spring. Young co-produced the album with longtime collaborator John Hanlon and additional mixing took place at Shangri-La Studios in Malibu. Neil and Crazy Horse tapped Chris Bellman to master Colorado at Hollywood’s Bernie Grundman Mastering.

“Milky Way” was debuted live by Young on May 14 at his solo concert in Vancouver and the song was a staple of his May tour, which included some shows with Promise Of The Real. Stream “Milky Way” below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_-9qcbuLcA&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am 

Neil Young Announces New Documentary Mountaintop: Watch the Trailer
It chronicles the making of Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s new album Colorado

https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-announces-new-documentary-mountaintop-watch-the-trailer/

Neil Young and Crazy Horse have announced a new documentary chronicling the creation of their forthcoming album Colorado. It’s called Mountaintop, and you can check out the film’s trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6CRn71oi6Y&feature=youtu.be

Colorado marks Neil Young’s first record with Crazy Horse in seven years. The album arrives October 25 via Reprise, while Mountaintop hits theaters across North America on October 22, and in Europe and South America on November 18. Mountaintop is credited as a “a Bernard Shakey + dhlovelife film”—Bernard Shakey being Neil Young’s directorial pseudonym. The new documentary is one of 15 new films Young said he would be making.

Ahead of Colorado, Neil Young and Crazy Horse have shared two singles: “Milky Way” and “Rainbow of Colors.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:45 am 

Neil Young says his US citizenship application is being held up because he uses marijuana

Neil Young wants to become a US citizen and vote in the 2020 presidential election.

After Trump used Young's song "Rockin' in the Free World" during his presidential campaign announcement in 2015, Young said Trump had not been authorized to use his song and instead endorsed then-candidate Bernie Sanders.

And in 2018, Young criticized Trump's response to the wildfires in California that destroyed the songwriter's home.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/11/entertainment/neil-young-us-citizenship-marijuana-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm 

^^Anyone know what the context of this picture is?^^ Trump & Young are looking pretty friendly there...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:02 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
^^Anyone know what the context of this picture is?^^ Trump & Young are looking pretty friendly there...
According to Trump, the photo was taken after Young asked for investment in his Pono service.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/26/donald-trump-blasts-neil-youngs-hypocrisy-over-use-of-song

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 am 

Neil Young & Norah Jones - Harvest Moon - Bridge School and Painted Turtle Benefit September 14 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-5EM4aqhsY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:48 am 

Neil Young Announces 2020 BARN Tour With Crazy Horse
Michael Broerman | Monday, February 24th, 2020

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/neil-young-crazy-horse-barn-tour/

Neil Young has announced that he will embark on the BARN Tour with Crazy Horse later this year, reversing his earlier position that he would take 2020 off from touring.

The recently-naturalized American citizen announced on Sunday via the Neil Young Archives that he will team up for a tour with Crazy Horse that would see the ensemble visit some of their old stomping grounds.

Many of the old places we used to play are gone now, replaced by new coliseums we have to book year in advance and we don’t want to go to anyway. That’s not the way we like to play. It sounds way to much like a real job if you have to book it and wait a year, so we have decided to play old arenas – not the new sports facilities put up by corporations for their sports teams. Largely soulless, these new buildings cost a fortune to play. We wanted to play in a couple of months because we feel like it. To us it’s not a regular job. We don’t like the new rules.

While the singer-songwriter didn’t announce any specific dates, he did go on to list the “old arenas” that they wanted to play, sorted by whether or not they still stand. Among his list of those venues still around are Madison Square Garden, Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Providence Civic Center, Cow Palace, The Forum, and a couple dozen other arenas throughout the United States and Canada.

This announcement came as a surprise to many who had been following Young’s recent activity, as he told fans just last week that he was “not focused on playing,” and not to expect any tour dates. Recently, Young has concentrated on the release of vintage material and concert films from the Neil Young Archives. As of now, the only concert he has scheduled is an appearance at the Light Up The Blues autism benefit concert at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles on May 30th. Visit Young’s website to stay up-to-date on tour information.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 am 

[UPDATED] Neil Young Shares 1st ‘Fireside Sessions’ Video

Mar 20, 202010:35 am PDT
Scott Bernstein
https://www.jambase.com/article/neil-young-fireside-sessions-march-19

Update

Mar 20, 2020 • 10:35 am PDT

Neil Young has made the video free for all.

Neil Young released the first installment of his Fireside Sessions video series last night for Neil Young Archives subscribers and non-subscribers. Young’s performances of six songs, including his first known “Little Wing” since 1977, were featured in the video. Head here to watch.

Filmed by Neil’s wife, Daryl Hannah at their Telluride home, the video spans 28 minutes and is currently available for viewing via NYA’s Hearse Theater. Young starts the set outdoors with a solo guitar in hand for “Sugar Mountain.” Next, Neil moves indoors and performs a series of songs in front of a fireplace beginning with “Vampire Blues.” He then plays “Love/Art Blues” which was last performed in concert back on March 15, 2008.

“Vampire Blues” and “Love/Art Blues” are split by a faux commercial for water. Young then showed off a harmonica stand before performing After The Gold Rush gem “Tell Me Why.” Neil went on to reach back to the mid-1980s for “Razor Love” before finishing the set with Hawks & Doves rarity “Little Wing,” which he had only previously performed period over a one-month period spanning from August 3 – September 2, 1977. Watch Neil Young’s first Fireside Sessions set here: https://neilyoungarchives.com/movie-night.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:07 am 

Neil Young Finally Releases “Lost” Album Homegrown: Stream
Largely acoustic effort was recorded way back in 1975

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/stream-neil-young-homegrown-album-lost/

by Lake Schatz
on June 18, 2020, 9:19pm

After 45 years, Neil Young has finally unearthed his long-lost album Homegrown. Stream it below via Apple Music or Spotify.

Homegrown was recorded between June 1974 and January 1975 with a studio band featuring Levon Helm, Ben Keith, Karl T. Himmel, Tim Drummond, Stan Szelest, and Robbie Robertson. Emmylou Harris also makes an appearance.

The largely acoustic project addressed Young’s tumultuous relationship with actress Carrie Snodgress — though it proved to be too emotional to release at the time. “I apologize. This album Homegrown should have been there for you a couple of years after Harvest,” the folk rock legend said in a statement.

“It’s the sad side of a love affair. The damage done. The heartache. I just couldn’t listen to it,” added Young. “I wanted to move on. So I kept it to myself, hidden away in the vault, on the shelf, in the back of my mind… but I should have shared it. It’s actually beautiful. That’s why I made it in the first place. Sometimes life hurts. You know what I mean. This is the one that got away.”

The self-described record “full of love lost and explorations” consists of 12 songs. Five of those — “Love Is A Rose”, “Homegrown”, “White Line”, “Little Wing”, and “Star Of Bethlehem” — would find a home on other albums. The other six selections, as well as the spoken word narration of “Florida”, have never been issued before.

Homegrown is just one of many other archival releases Young has promised this year. He also recently announced an After the Gold Rush 50th anniversary deluxe reissue. In addition to dusting off older material, Young has been providing quarantined fans with regular Fireside Sessions featuring live, at-home performances; the fifth installment dropped late last month.

https://open.spotify.com/album/08wQogg47jUetQkJjqjn6B