Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 am 

BBP wrote:
I would say I've never taken opiates, but apparently the painkiller they administered by injection in the hospital was one.

Maybe thats what sparked your sudden interest in the Trombone... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:35 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Back around 1965, when the gang started trying them out, I figured if anyone would get busted for underage smoking....it would be me, so I never tried them out. I still have never tried a ciggie, cigar, or pipe tobacco.
Pot, sure, but it's been almost a year since my last puff (no...not trying to quit, just haven't come across any!)

Why not start now? Lots of fun!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:07 pm 

It was 4 years ago Sunday since I quit. I don't miss it at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:22 pm 

Good for you Cal, man I love to smoke and did not start until I was 23! Now that I am smoking the natural home rolled cigs my health has improved and I no longer have a smokers cough, I've lost weight and can maintian cardiovasculer exercise for at least a half hour. Although the truth be told I was in tri athelete condition in '98 and had a 2 pak a day Marlboro 100 habit. My real problems started after I got a desk job and gained a lot of weight, now that I lost most of it and been off manufactured cigs for over a year I feel great.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I'm quitting this saturday. going to smoke my last cigarette friday night.
I've smoked for 35 years (a pack a day pretty much all of these years), and it's about time I quit.
$180.00 a month... I could use that money for something much better...
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I didn't quit...
not that anyone seem to care, but, still...

still smoking...
I've switched to a less expensive brand, though...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:12 pm 

Smokers Smoke to look busy ,because they dont want to be lazy. - Zut boF

Je suis désolé pour les roles que j'ai joué dans toutes ces videos, ce n'est pas tres valorisant pour l'humanité mais si cela peut avoir fait progresser la science, alors il y aura eu un coté positif.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 am 

Zut_boF wrote:
Smokers Smoke to look busy ,because they dont want to be lazy. - Zut boF

Not in my experiance... :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:25 pm 

haven't has a real cig in 3 weeks; got a couple of hand-me-down vaping devices a few weeks ago, these things are fucking awesome

the itaste 134 is about a year old, now considered an 'old-school' device, heavy stainless steel, the gatling gun parts are for show ... adjustable 6½ to 12½ watts with one button & some led's

---------------------------------------

add a kanger tank set for ~ $40, comes with a couple pre-wound inserts, rebuildable atomizer insert, extra pyrex tank/coils/o-rings, uses organic japanese cotton

---------------------------------------

add some ejuice; tried a caramel/tobacco flavor, 15 ml/6mg nicotine... this little bottle cost $12, will last me 4 weeks, very fucking tasty indeed

next up is monster melons, 15 ml/6 mg nic.

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:29 pm 

current vape flavoUr -
menthol breeze, touch of cappuccino cream, touch of classic tobacco.
TT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 pm 

the melon is quite good ... tried this bourbon flavor juice, a bit too sweet for my taste

still haven't lit up a real cig, almost 5 weeks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:18 pm 

Tried the wife's pineapple - hmmm :| .
Tried someones aniseed - average, as was strawberry.
The mixed fruit tasted like detergent - I might snort it instead.
The bourbon could be good - need to find some...
TT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:09 am 

Haven't had a real cig for 2 years now. But, I'm currently using the Vuse e-cig. Mostly because it's made by RJ Reynolds, and I'm looking for the flavor of those Camels I smoked for 35 years.

What are the advantages to these vaping devices, and can you just get a Camel like flavor?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:11 am 

Try Turkish flavor it may taste like camel... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:17 am 

Plook wrote:

Very funny smartass. :mrgreen:

But if there is a Turkish flavor, you never know. Might be what I'm looking for?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:26 am 

Philostopher wrote:
Plook wrote:

Very funny smartass. :mrgreen:

But if there is a Turkish flavor, you never know. Might be what I'm looking for?

Actually the cigs I roll are no chemicals unwashed straight dried tobacco using a paper tube and filter no additives and I use Turkish Red or Bold, great smoke no cough very green, very healthy… :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:20 pm 

Sigh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:32 am 

Don't smoke, vape:

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:29 am 

There is probably a percentage of people out there who are relatively unaffected by the damage that smoking tobacco does. Unfortunately, I think this number is rather small. I mean, you're inhaling fine particulates in massive quanities into your lungs, which are laced with poisonous chemicals that are also addicting. I'm a 30 year smoker and I don't see myself having the willpower to quit in the near future. However, the science has been there for a long time and Frank was a scientifically minded guy. I'm certain he knew he was fooling himself. I'd like to think that if he were still alive he'd have quit the habit by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:54 am 

yeah, i just don't approve of his "tobacco is a vegetable" safety net.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:04 pm 

philostopher wrote:
What are the advantages to these vaping devices, and can you just get a Camel like flavor?
never tried a vuse, but those bad boys are 48 mg each :shock: ... that's big tobacco pumping the nicotine way the fuck up so a regular vape come up flat, they got you hooked worse than regular camels at about 12 mg each; start with 24 mg juice [strongest], try backwoods brew's casablanca, plenty of other tobacco flavs out there

• better control of the vape cloud
  • tank hold almost a week's supply- 4½ ml
  • hundreds of flavor choices
  • 5 or 6 different nic levels
  • a 15 ml bottle lasts a few weeks; $10 -$15
  • rjr - big tobacco

mcmick wrote:
.... I'm a 30 year smoker and I don't see myself having the willpower to quit in the near future...
my_name_is_fritz wrote:
Sigh
plook wrote:
Actually the cigs I roll are ... very green, very healthy…
healthy ¿ yer joking

seriously guys, you need to check one out; get a box mod rated at 10 to 50 watts variable, about $50, plus a tank, 2 batteries & a charger ... or a starter kit

hand-wound my first coil last week; got 100 foot roll of kanthal 26 gauge wire [$6, 300 coils] plus an ohm meter; 7 wraps around a 3 mm drill bit, 1.3Ω coil, works great ... ordered a couple of coil jigs, also some clove cig flavoring, the five hands juice is way too sweet

coil jig:

next up:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:29 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
never tried a vuse, but those bad boys are 48 mg each :shock:

Not disputing anything else in your post, but according to what I can find they are 4.8 mg instead of 48?

I seriously do want to check these out. I've seen them at a couple of stores around the area

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:29 pm 

McMick wrote:
There is probably a percentage of people out there who are relatively unaffected by the damage that smoking tobacco does. Unfortunately, I think this number is rather small. I mean, you're inhaling fine particulates in massive quanities into your lungs, which are laced with poisonous chemicals that are also addicting. I'm a 30 year smoker and I don't see myself having the willpower to quit in the near future. However, the science has been there for a long time and Frank was a scientifically minded guy. I'm certain he knew he was fooling himself. I'd like to think that if he were still alive he'd have quit the habit by now.

Supposedly Bob Zappa's new memoir of growing up with Frank addresses Frank's tobacco addiction and other unhealthy habits (poor diet). In some related stuff Arthur Barrow commented on his poor dental health (he always had toothaches) and reluctance to go to see a Doctor when he started having urinary problems because of the cancer. Frank couldn't pee and finally passed out and had to be taken for treatment to emergency. It also infers that Frank could have had surgery but declined becàuse he didn't want to deal with the consequences (sexual dysfunction?). Barrow also said Frank didn't have health insurance even though he was wealthy. Frank's distrust in people and American institutions probably ended up costing him (and his family). Barrow and Tom Fowler are both quoted as saying that Frank thought his chain smoking had nothing to do with his cancer and that he kept smoking after his diagnosis. I guess I can understand if you think you're going to die anyway. I'll find the link and attach it when I can.

Last edited by KUIII on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:19 pm 

philostopher wrote:
... Not disputing anything else in your post, but according to what I can find they are 4.8 mg instead of 48?

I seriously do want to check these out. I've seen them at a couple of stores around the area

pretty sure vuse are 4.8% nicotine, or 48 mg/ml ... 6 mg is plenty strong for me, used to smoke ½ a pack/day clove cigarettes

juicy coil, wicked up & ready to fire ... wick is japanese organic cotton

you'll fucking love it, it's a way of life

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:49 pm 

quote...
"research has shown that it isn't the nicotine that kills you. It's the tar and the rat poison that does that. Nicotine in fact offers a range of health benefits that are quite beneficial to human functioning.
For starters, smokers have notably lower incidences of Alzheimer's disease than their non-smoking counterparts. Nicotine mimics the action of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, a dearth of which is the main cause of this disease. It is believed that this effect could also help sufferers of other neurological disorders, such as Parkinson's, Tourette's, ADHD and schizophrenia. Even depression had been targeted as an area which nicotine could prove useful. Diabetes is another area where nicotine offers potential transformative effects. The chemical has been shown to improve the growth and health of blood vessels. Diabetics often struggle with blood flow to their extremities and medical scientists are trialing a nicotine-based gel to combat this."

I've been on and off the smokes since I was 14, with a few periods lasting several years off them. About 10 years ago, I gave a hitchhiker a lift and he accidentally left a pack on the passenger seat - cue taking it up again, albeit part-time (two/three a day) for 8 years. Its not easy limiting yourself to that few, and looking back, during that time I was tetchy and moody. Two years ago, I bought my first e-cig, and now vape - a lot. I'm 'addicted' to nicotine, but so what? During the last two years, I feel much calmer, I'm not living a clandestine smokers life with the kids, and my health has improved a great deal. I'm really enjoying 'living it up' too, and the kids don't mind.
FZ must have realised the positive effects of nicotine, and chose to ignore the detrimental effects of smoking. I think if vape had been around 40 years ago, he would have been one of the first in on it.
TT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:34 am 

Aren't you just replacing one expense for another? I would have been tempting by vaping and all that if it were a lot more popular when I quit. But it's really nice to not have to pay anything to stay addicted to a drug. (Let me stress, I don't care if people smoke or not - my wife still does.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next