Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7833
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Quilt wrote:
It's our adult choice to do what we want. It's a shame that most smokers (and drinkers) probably get hooked before they are truly 'adult', and so spend the rest of their smoking days trying to justify their habit.

That's an entirely accurate analysis with one caveat...
Who wants to spend his whole life being 'adult' ´(and enjoy it at the same time)?

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am
Posts: 2577
Haven't had one since New Year's Eve when I gave up.
I've done it cold turkey style and decided not to drink in January too to make it easier. Went out last night with some work mates and got a bit tipsy.

I'm actually enjoying life without smoking!
Never thought I'd do it

_________________
"drums are too noisy, 'n you've got no corners to hide in"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am
Posts: 6169
Location: Rhineland
Congrats, man. Keep going. I'm still smoking. Have to quit as well.

_________________
What's the ugliest part of your body ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am
Posts: 2577
My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Congrats, man. Keep going. I'm still smoking. Have to quit as well.


Cheers Fritz

_________________
"drums are too noisy, 'n you've got no corners to hide in"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:24 pm
Posts: 1707
Location: Birmingham, AL
I quit after some health issues grew more serious over the past few months. I'm on day ten without a cigarette. It's the opposite of fun.

_________________
NJP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:42 pm
Posts: 210
Location: Dwarf Nebula
people say its only a "3 day hump" to get over and then you're fine.

i personally don't believe that. my wife has stopped since the beginning of this year. its been 4 weeks now, and she still is having some cravings.. its been pretty hard for her.

i eventually want to quit. really. its one of the dumbest things i ever did, was get addicted to smokes :|

_________________
Do you think that I creep in the night
And sleep in a phone booth?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 36578
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Skunky Woof wrote:
people say its only a "3 day hump" to get over and then you're fine.

i personally don't believe that. my wife has stopped since the beginning of this year. its been 4 weeks now, and she still is having some cravings.. its been pretty hard for her.

i eventually want to quit. really. its one of the dumbest things i ever did, was get addicted to smokes :|

Not surprised she finds it hard to quit, since you will still smell like ciggies, even if you don't actually smoke in front of her. You cruel person you!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 6788
Location: Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Image
I've cut it down to 7 packs a day.

_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 72
Skunky Woof wrote:
people say its only a "3 day hump" to get over and then you're fine.

i personally don't believe that. my wife has stopped since the beginning of this year. its been 4 weeks now, and she still is having some cravings.. its been pretty hard for her.

i eventually want to quit. really. its one of the dumbest things i ever did, was get addicted to smokes :|



I'm 9 months stopped and of course the cravings have eased considerably but personally i don't think they ever go completely :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:30 pm
Posts: 32042
Location: Windsor,Ontario Canada
Started smoking at 13 & now I'm 39 so 26 years of smoking for me. I have tried to Quit but it seems like every time the wife light's a smoke up I end up lighting one up as well.

Image

With all this crap in them I really should Quit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm
Posts: 285
YOU MUST BLESS THE BAKA CHIFE :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8523
Location: exile
I'm quitting this saturday. going to smoke my last cigarette friday night.
I've smoked for 35 years (a pack a day pretty much all of these years), and it's about time I quit.
$180.00 a month... I could use that money for something much better...

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 38285
Location: Somewhere in time
Since hard times USA started I have been rolling my own for less than $20 a carton and the tobacco doesn't have all the crap that processed cigarettes have, its organic!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8523
Location: exile
Plook wrote:
Since hard times USA started I have been rolling my own for less than $20 a carton and the tobacco doesn't have all the crap that processed cigarettes have, its organic!

I used to roll my own throughout the 80s and 90s. I switched to camel (filter) in 2002. and, sure, rolling your own is less expensive, and you can find organic tobacco (the native american brand), but still...

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 321
american spirit? owned by rJ reynolds corp, organic as in carbon based?

_________________
Stop Plate Techtonics!!
http://beatcrunchers.com
http://www.balkanmusic.org/
https://www.reverbnation.com/takatuboostep


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8523
Location: exile
muziko wrote:
american spirit?
yeah, that's the one. I don't know anything about it, haven't tried it.

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 38285
Location: Somewhere in time
The manufactured cigarettes have a lot of extra "stuff" added to them, for one the goverment has required the tobaco companies to make them self extingush when left unattended, that is achieved through adding a chemical to the ciarette. By choice these companies have added different chemicals over the years to "improve" the functioning of the "product". All in all that adds up to a bunch of "stuff" that should not be in the manufactured cigarette, and I have noticed several distinct differences since rolling my own. I actually have trouble smoking a store bought cigarette now that I have been rolling my own for almost 6 months.


P.S. The organic thing was a joke...sorry... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 am
Posts: 72
Plook wrote:
The manufactured cigarettes have a lot of extra "stuff" added to them, for one the goverment has required the tobaco companies to make them self extingush when left unattended, that is achieved through adding a chemical to the ciarette. By choice these companies have added different chemicals over the years to "improve" the functioning of the "product". All in all that adds up to a bunch of "stuff" that should not be in the manufactured cigarette, and I have noticed several distinct differences since rolling my own. I actually have trouble smoking a store bought cigarette now that I have been rolling my own for almost 6 months.


P.S. The organic thing was a joke...sorry... :roll:


Before quitting i smoked roll ups 95% of the time. Although much cheaper than 'regulars' my decision was based more on taste - i didn't really get the same enjoyment from smoking 'regulars' and at times even found the smell unpleasant, not nearly as enticing as the smell of rolling tobacco or pipe tobacco.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:51 am
Posts: 3
Location: Somewhere East of Sacramento
I've been smoke free since the beginning of November. Third time I've "quit" and it never gets easier. For the life of me I will never understand why I have twice, after two years, started back up again. I can sympathize with anyone trying to ditch the habit & wish you luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 38285
Location: Somewhere in time
Nanook a - no no wrote:
Plook wrote:
The manufactured cigarettes have a lot of extra "stuff" added to them, for one the goverment has required the tobaco companies to make them self extingush when left unattended, that is achieved through adding a chemical to the ciarette. By choice these companies have added different chemicals over the years to "improve" the functioning of the "product". All in all that adds up to a bunch of "stuff" that should not be in the manufactured cigarette, and I have noticed several distinct differences since rolling my own. I actually have trouble smoking a store bought cigarette now that I have been rolling my own for almost 6 months.


P.S. The organic thing was a joke...sorry... :roll:


Before quitting i smoked roll ups 95% of the time. Although much cheaper than 'regulars' my decision was based more on taste - i didn't really get the same enjoyment from smoking 'regulars' and at times even found the smell unpleasant, not nearly as enticing as the smell of rolling tobacco or pipe tobacco.



Actually I find the pip tobaco to be less harsh, smooth, and a vastly different in general...so much so I by it exclusively now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Me Smoker!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:59 pm
Posts: 264
I have been smoking since I was about 10 years old.
I am 50 now.

It has not troubled me in the least.
Aside from the wheezing when I lay down
to go to sleep.

It's a small price to pay.

Someday I might get CANCER.
So what?

I have never taken opiates and I have never taken extacy.
When I get cancer I want massive injections of morphine
and X until I run out of steam.
And nitrous oxide.

Why not?

_________________
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:29 pm
Posts: 8523
Location: exile
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I'm quitting this saturday. going to smoke my last cigarette friday night.
I've smoked for 35 years (a pack a day pretty much all of these years), and it's about time I quit.
$180.00 a month... I could use that money for something much better...

I didn't quit...

not that anyone seem to care, but, still...

_________________
"bit of nostalgia for the old folks."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 36578
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
Back around 1965, when the gang started trying them out, I figured if anyone would get busted for underage smoking....it would be me, so I never tried them out. I still have never tried a ciggie, cigar, or pipe tobacco.
Pot, sure, but it's been almost a year since my last puff (no...not trying to quit, just haven't come across any!)

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12551
Location: EINDHOVEN
I would say I've never taken opiates, but apparently the painkiller they administered by injection in the hospital was one.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am
Posts: 2577
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I'm quitting this saturday. going to smoke my last cigarette friday night.
I've smoked for 35 years (a pack a day pretty much all of these years), and it's about time I quit.
$180.00 a month... I could use that money for something much better...

I didn't quit...

not that anyone seem to care, but, still...


Set another date to quit and do it Lumpy...

_________________
"drums are too noisy, 'n you've got no corners to hide in"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group