Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard times USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:37 am 

Well as we all know it is "Hard times USA" and when shit goes bad here, it also goes bad in other countries. Now I know some have not been affected as intensely as others by the recession depression, but to a lesser or greater degree we have all had to alter our lives. Personally I lost a job I had for 10 years that paid well, I did get another soon after, but was laid off there also do to cutbacks.

Maybe we could let off some steam and maybe even get a few laughs if we list our loss's...For example it is looking like I will miss my first ZPZ concert in my area unless I can Plook some magic out of my ass. I know that is a minor thing but I am keeping with lighter side of things.

Well there is one...Got loss??? :?

8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:40 pm 

Lost ...

our new life in Canada ...... combination of no-one buying our house (credit crunch/property crash), then lost months in recovery from bike crash delaying us into Canada downturn and job withdrawn which had promised permanent residence. Gutted doesn't come close. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Hard times USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:59 pm 

I HEARD IT tUFF if your MEXICON :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 pm 

I lost my job, my wife left me with two kids and a 400 thousand dollar *SPAM* then I lost my home and moved into my neighbors and now he got foreclosed and I don't know what the new owners are really going to do. It's a lot of shit I'm going through and I am mad as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 pm 

I've been extremely lucky. My company decided about 6 years ago that they didn't want the bad publicity that comes with layoffs. Our raises aren't what they were back then, but I feel that as long as I do my job, I'm going to have one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:24 pm 

I'll probably make a couple of posts here on various subjects. All will have a theme of what I see as a negative turn, things I appreciate that are being lost due to the economic downturn, or phased out in a manner which would indicate a certain "Crisis equals Opportunity" nature.

One of the things that I have come to enjoy very much over the years is anime, not manga so much although my wife does like manga (I can't read it.) The print is too small since my eyes started to go due to diabetes. Cataracts suck, and even after surgery somethings are just difficult to see, thumbnails for instance.

So far as a result of the economic downturn which people finally admitted began over a year before W. left office we have lost at least 3 major anime U.S. distributors. Some of the series were picked back up by Funimation, and some by Section23 which is the re-designed under new management version of ADV. However, for new releases, the flow has really dropped to a trickle. Adding to the industries issues, fans who like dubbed episodes are generally disatisfied with the subtitled only releases that many series are now getting. Some series I would be interested in seeing now face a tougher time being licensed for release in this country. Add to this the growing cries from organizations such as UNICEF and Equality Now for enforced censorship of the adult themed sub-genre Hentai which has always been a staple of profit generation and the industry is in real jeopardy.

This is just one part of a much larger issue though, which is to say that foreign entertainment as a whole is suffering. Now I am with those fundamentalist religious nut jobs that say Hollywood is nothing but garbage, but from an entirely different perspective. I find that I can not feel any form of connection with the characters in most mainstream Hollywood productions, generally when watching a chick flick, I just wind up wishing that whoever the lead characters are would be killed by terrorists, or one would turn out to be a serial killer and thus after five minutes movie over, THE END. Same goes for action films, and comedies. This is not true for foreign entertainment, I find that generally the stories are more complex, engaging, and ultimately even though the film quality itself might be less splendid the characters have an emotional quality that is worth paying attention to. The plots are fun and interesting, rather than rehashed garbage into which the studio can interchange the lead female character, the lead male character and the occupation and voilà, a new blockbuster hit, for examples: Sandra Bullock = Julia Roberts, Hugh Grant = Richard Gere, CEO = DA. All interchangeable parts, with no deviation from the norm.

Other than that, there's the trend towards stultification of great foreign films, to suit American audiences intellect, and moral standards. Compare any film that was made in any country other than here and then check our remake, the odious nature of Americanization is usually quite prominent. The shutting down of local distributors, such as Blockbuster Ent. The complete loss of mom and pop video rental stores that used to carry some more diverse titles. Not to mention fan subbing, which is the equivalent of music file sharing and just as contentious of a subject whenever brought up.

The question is how much of this is genuine disinterest and how much is opportunistic purging of unwanted foreign ideas from the market place? There seems to be a major push to isolate this nation and preserve some idealized mythical national identity, based on false morality, and racial integrity. We don't want foreigners and their dirty un-American ideas around here anymore, it's in the news every day with much more subtle words than that, but that seems to be the deal.
Basically I feel like the ability to find films of intelligent, entertaining subjects is being lost.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:59 am 

This one will be shorter I promise.

Food, as with entertainment, so with food. I do not particularly enjoy the bland flavors of classic American cuisine that I grew up with. I much prefer authentic foreign flavors, and whenever possible I will choose to cook with ingredients that would be used in the actual recipe of any given country rather than substituting some chemically flavored corn syrup based non food substance that is the standard of American's culinary experience. Everything in most restaurants comes from the same prepackaged stock that winds up on grocery store shelves, the sauce bases are manufactured by the same companies and sold to every restaurant then maybe one or two flavors are added to augment for the particular chain, or brand name. The meat is flavored the same, molded differently, then breaded the same or has dark bands painted on to emulate grilled whatever, you get the picture.

Some spices must be imported, they simply can't be grown outside of their native region, the same is true for many kinds of vegetable and fruit. The economy has jeopardized some of these flavors, and although substitutes are generally available, it just isn't the same if you don't use the proper ingredients.

Some brands and companies have already been forced out of the market due to the failing economy, this trend doesn't seem likely to slow, but rather will most likely worsen. This will also be increased if we do decide to become a more isolated nation, or if we choose to "buy green" when it comes to food. One of the goals of the "buy green" movement is to slow the long range transfer of food products, be it produce, or meat, or dairy, or spices, and seasonings.
I'm finding a number of good ingredients less easy to acquire, and see a possibility of a future where some of the diversity of food that we enjoy now will be diminished.

"Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule for what we are to read and what we must believe?" T.J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:38 pm 

Sounds rough but you are still working.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm 

OK here's my story.

It was late summer 1961 in a sweaty little Northern California town. MomUgly thought she was through with having children as she had already had four over the past 16 years. But nine months earlier in a moment of passion in the old olive grove, KillUgly was conceived. When KillUgly made his debut on September 2nd he was heard to scream, "Help! I'm A Rock!"

OK, I guess we don't have time for the full story so fast forward to 2005. KillUgly gets divorced from his wife of ten years. I forfeit some of the assests I am entitled to so that I am ensured of my two children always having a nice home to live in. At the urging of my ex I buy a house nearby to be close to the kids. After six months or so I realize I cannot afford my new house and lifestyle so I put the house back on the market. BAD TIMING. The housing market crashes. I can't sell my house. I have it on the market for three years before I give up and foreclose on my house and declare bankruptcy. During this time I exhaust one of my retirement accounts trying to stay afloat.

Anyway, I've come out OK on the other side of the waterfall. I was pretty bitter for awhile but I'm renting a house now. I still have my job. My kids are good and think I'm pretty cool. I don't have to go to anymore fucking Dave Matthews Band concerts. I'm basically living check-to-check now but I'm appreciating things alot more. I don't think anything can suck as much as a bad marriage. I'm going to see ZPZ and Todd Rundgren in the next month (something a responsible husband wouldn't be doing).

I RULE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:07 am 

Good for you...and I am jealous about those two concerts that I will most likely miss unless there is divine intervention.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:52 am 

I gave up on all hope of ever seeing a concert unless it's free.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:33 pm 

Sorry to hear the hard times hit you all so directly, hope you all turn out better soon...

There is light at the end of the YouTube...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:41 pm 

Steve Breen

Clay Jones

Dana Summers

Marshall Ramsey

Bob Gorrell

John Darkow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:38 pm 

Joep Bertrams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:05 pm 

^^^This

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:17 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:13 am 

Dusty Rhodes on what hard times really are, if you weel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:49 am 

Patrick Chappatte

Patrick Chappatte was an editorial cartoonist for The New York Times, until the newspaper terminated them in 2019. He now draws for Counterpoint in the US, as well as European media Der Spiegel, Le Canard Enchaîné, Le Temps and NZZ am Sonntag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

+1

hard times brother! hwl

howling with laughter.....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:38 pm 

Ed Wexler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:38 am 

Dave Whamond

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm 

Self-Employed Music Workers, Songwriters Eligible For Grants/Loans In U.S. Federal Stimulus Bill
Posted by Robert Pasbani on March 26, 2020 at 3:18 pm

https://metalinjection.net/its-just-business/self-employed-music-workers-songwriters-eligible-for-grants-loans-in-u-s-federal-stimulus-bill

One of the industries hit hardest by the affect of the coronavirus social distancing decree was live entertainment, and all the folks who work around live entertainment – like tour managers, bookers, bartenders, etc. These people do not work on salaries, they work when there is work to be done. If there are no shows, they are not earning money. With a huge $2 trillion stimulus package about to be approved by the federal government, Variety reports that musicians, song writers and folks working in the music industry would be eligible to apply for grants and loans.

Besides offering a one-time $1,200 payment to American adults who make under $75,000, and an additional $500 per child, the bill also puts over $350 billion aside to help small business and $500 billion for larger businesses and states. According to this Variety report, the language in the bill ensures that “sole-proprietors, independent contractors and self-employed” are included in the stimulus, which is were music workers come in. Some music workers may even quality for unemployment as part of the provisions in the bill.

While this was not possible before, the current bill has a provision that covers self-employed small business owners, which would include everyone from songwriters to roadies. Self-employed individuals may be able to receive grants and loans as soon as next month, according to the report.

“Many music industry professionals are not eligible for traditional unemployment benefits because they are self-employed,” said Bart Herbison, Executive Director of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI). “That’s why it was imperative that the federal stimulus package contain language that made them eligible for relief. Now they will be able to apply for immediate financial help for any income they’ve lost over the past few weeks and income they will lose throughout the rest of this year.”

“We are greatly relieved that songwriters, composers and musicians across the country will be helped by the emergency stimulus package passed by the Senate today,” said David Israelite, president/CEO of NMPA. “From paycheck protection and stimulus checks to grants that help with rent and *SPAM* payments, the legislation will help the creative community – particularly those who qualify as independent contractors, sole proprietors and self-employed – who have been hit hard by this pandemic." Dina LaPolt, a board member of SONA and top industry lawyer, said, “The United States represents 33% of the global music industry worldwide. We need laws that protect creators and ensure that they are protected from economic destruction.”

Mitch Glazier, chairman/CEO of the RIAA added “Access to unemployment insurance, small business loans and payment deferrals, and more funding for the NEA to provide relief to musicians, will ensure that hundreds of thousands of musicians can continue to pay rent, put food on the table, and care for their children during this public health crisis.”

While the fine details of the bill are still being assessed in Congress, you can keep up with Songwriters of North America's website, wearesona.com, as they will be updating it with info on how songwriters and music workers can apply once the bill is passed and ready to accept applicants.

You should also check with your local state government to see if they are offering small business grants, for example New York is already accepting applications for small business grants. Based on the application process in New York, you will likely have to prove a loss of income, possibly by comparing your earnings to 2019 tax returns.

Folks in Congress getting the nod for passing this approval include Rep. Ted Deutch, (D-FL), Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Reps. Jerry Nadler (D-NY) and Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Reps. Jerrold Nadler, Jim Cooper, Martha Roby, Zoe Lofgren, Sens. Marco Rubio, John Kennedy, and Dianne Feinstein.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:51 pm 

Kid dies on the way to Antelope Valley (yes, that Lancaster CA) Hospital:

Quote:
The teen reportedly felt ill and sought treatment at an urgent care clinic, but was denied. The staff at the facility told the teen to try the emergency room at the local public hospital, Antelope Valley (AV) Hospital, according to Gizmodo. While in transit to that hospital, he reportedly went into cardiac arrest. The hospital staff was able to keep the teen — who appeared to have no previous health conditions — alive for about six hours, Gizmodo reported.

“He didn’t have insurance, so they did not treat him,” Lancaster Mayor Rex Parris said in a YouTube video Wednesday. “On the Friday before he died, he was healthy, he was socializing with his friends.” The name of the clinic that refused the teen treatment has not been released. Neither has the boy’s name, which has been removed from the U.S. coronavirus death toll as the CDC evaluates any possible extenuating factors. While both of the child’s parents tested positive for COVID-19, health experts say this case is complex and that they are still trying to nail COVID-19 down as the cause, according to CNN.

https://www.mic.com/p/uninsured-17-year ... wv_QaLmKlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:55 pm 

It seem that the virus, in a few cases, causes death by attacking the heart rather than the lungs...