Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:17 am
Posts: 16
I finally watched Roxy.
It has always been one of my favorite Zappa albums (how could in not?!).

Highlights:
Practically the Whole Damned Thang.

I was a little disappointed in the first two songs (Cosmik Debris and Penguin in Bondage).
But as soon as Uncle Meat/Dog Breath began- it was dynamite until the end.

As a guitarist, I thought Frank's solo in Big Swifty was one of his best live solos.

I was, however, disappointed in the video/audio snafu. There was an annoying, and very real delay between the video and audio. not happy with that

also- I really wanted to see the zaftig bikini'd women on the album cover- no go with that ;(

however, I paid $4.99 to rent the movie, so I really got my money's worth, I feel

I often would skip the Bebop Tango when listening to the record, but watching it on the video it was quite fun and now I know exactly what was going on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:17 am
Posts: 16
Okay- there is more I can say, for sure.

Hearing the bizarre proto version (?) of Inca Roads was very interesting.

At the end of the amazing drum solo/percussion extravaganza (no hyperbole) I
recognized that Ralph, Chester, Ruth, Frank and maybe even Bruce (?) played the whole "Cheepnis" song
with just the drums/percussion, and sure enough, Frank announced that just before playing the
full version of the song.

The instrumentals were fookin' incredible. Period.
Sure, Frank had a ton of fantastic musicians during his reign, but c'mon- this has to be considered
either his best band or in the top 2 or 3.
For me, I think its my favorite.

I think I may be in the minority, but Dunbar was probably my favorite of Zappa's drummers. But I think
Humphreys and Thompson seemed to work out okay? (sarcasm)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6696
Location: Between the Badges
Its gonna be another 5 years before people really get a grip on the entire Roxy output. Prolly more for me, hahaha ;)

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34917
Location: Somewhere in time
I'll day waiting for it, along with that flying car that we were promised... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 1031
Location: Oregon
I think the bigger question here is, how many Roxy threads do we really need?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Plook wrote:
I'll day waiting for it, along with that flying car that we were promised... :smoke:

???????????????!!

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34917
Location: Somewhere in time
polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
I'll day waiting for it, along with that flying car that we were promised... :smoke:

???????????????!!



oops - I'll be waiting for it, along with that flying car that we were promised...

Small typo made a big difference...in other words if we are going to wait for something that may never come it would be like waiting for the promised flying car when I was a child, they never came...sounds stupid now that I thought it out... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10914
Plook wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Plook wrote:
I'll day waiting for it, along with that flying car that we were promised... :smoke:

???????????????!!



oops - I'll be waiting for it, along with that flying car that we were promised...

Small typo made a big difference...in other words if we are going to wait for something that may never come it would be like waiting for the promised flying car when I was a child, they never came...sounds stupid now that I thought it out... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification. I almost posted a similar response as poly last night but then I ran it through my Plook spellchecker/translater machine I got the gist of what you were trying to say.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 35645
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
KUIII wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I almost posted a similar response as poly last night but then I ran it through my Plook spellchecker/translater machine I got the gist of what you were trying to say.
Yeah, I was going to post "What you gonna do at night?", but, decided to give him a break, this time.

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34917
Location: Somewhere in time
just plain doug wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I almost posted a similar response as poly last night but then I ran it through my Plook spellchecker/translater machine I got the gist of what you were trying to say.
Yeah, I was going to post "What you gonna do at night?", but, decided to give him a break, this time.



hey Bad spelling is the secret to being a Jellyfish Whisperer... :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 16166
Location: misanthropia
Plook wrote:
Bad spelling is the secret to being a Jellyfish Whisperer... :mrgreen:

good things come to those who day wait.

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 33973
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
lapsed maps wrote:
Plook wrote:
Bad spelling is the secret to being a Jellyfish Whisperer... :mrgreen:

good things come to those who day wait.


and now I have a fine mist of coffee in on and around my keyboard :lol: :cry: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just Watched Roxy!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:19 am
Posts: 16166
Location: misanthropia
Image

_________________
that's what happens when you don't read you loose your link to higher thinking


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group