Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:48 pm 

snouts and trotters. especially first

I would eat loins and groins though.....with fava beans and a nice chiante of course

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:22 am 

cory1984 wrote:

why not?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:19 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
why not?

Is the Impossible Burger Healthy?
Environmental issues aside—because unpacking how much healthier an Impossible Burger is for the Earth than a beef burger is another story—are Impossible Burgers healthier for us humans?

In a word, “No,” says Elisabetta Politi, M.P.H., R.D., L.D.N., the nutrition director of the Duke Diet & Fitness Center in Durham, North Carolina.
“I don’t think it’s any healthier. As a nutritionist, I tell people that if we want to find a way to address obesity and diabetes, it’s to go back to the way our grandparents ate,” Politi says. “I’m not saying that genetic modification is wrong, but I think it’s disconcerting to make up food. I would not consider this wholesome food because it’s something that has gone through a lot of changes and was created in a lab by the food industry.”
Besides the genetically modified ingredients, it’s not really healthier from a nutritional standpoint either, Politi says, particularly in the realm of saturated fat. Though Impossible Foods lowered the amount of saturated fat in the recent recipe change, it still contains higher amounts than a beef burger.

“An 85 percent lean beef burger, which is what you see in restaurants, has about 6 percent saturated fat,” Politi says. “An Impossible Burger has 8 grams of saturated fat in a four ounce patty, because it contains all that coconut oil.”

The Bottom Line
...If you want to eat less meat, the Impossible Burger has some positive attributes. But it’s not necessarily healthier than a beef burger, because it’s actually higher in saturated fat and lower in protein. It’s also highly processed, which means it’s not necessarily a particularly healthy food in general. But that doesn’t mean it’s unhealthy, either...

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a27572446/impossible-burger/

Nothing against a veggie burger or any other fake meat, I like the idea. But this meatless "bleeding" burger just gives me the willies for some reason.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:27 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
why not?

Is the Impossible Burger Healthy?
Environmental issues aside—because unpacking how much healthier an Impossible Burger is for the Earth than a beef burger is another story—are Impossible Burgers healthier for us humans?

In a word, “No,” says Elisabetta Politi, M.P.H., R.D., L.D.N., the nutrition director of the Duke Diet & Fitness Center in Durham, North Carolina.
“I don’t think it’s any healthier. As a nutritionist, I tell people that if we want to find a way to address obesity and diabetes, it’s to go back to the way our grandparents ate,” Politi says. “I’m not saying that genetic modification is wrong, but I think it’s disconcerting to make up food. I would not consider this wholesome food because it’s something that has gone through a lot of changes and was created in a lab by the food industry.”
Besides the genetically modified ingredients, it’s not really healthier from a nutritional standpoint either, Politi says, particularly in the realm of saturated fat. Though Impossible Foods lowered the amount of saturated fat in the recent recipe change, it still contains higher amounts than a beef burger.

“An 85 percent lean beef burger, which is what you see in restaurants, has about 6 percent saturated fat,” Politi says. “An Impossible Burger has 8 grams of saturated fat in a four ounce patty, because it contains all that coconut oil.”

The Bottom Line
...If you want to eat less meat, the Impossible Burger has some positive attributes. But it’s not necessarily healthier than a beef burger, because it’s actually higher in saturated fat and lower in protein. It’s also highly processed, which means it’s not necessarily a particularly healthy food in general. But that doesn’t mean it’s unhealthy, either...

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a27572446/impossible-burger/

Nothing against a veggie burger or any other fake meat, I like the idea. But this meatless "bleeding" burger just gives me the willies for some reason.

This Ingredient In Impossible Meat May Not Be Safe, Lawsuit Alleges
It says more research needs to be done on the color additive that makes the plant-based meat bleed.

Amanda McDonald
By Amanda McDonald
February 4, 2021

https://www.eatthis.com/news-impossible-meat-ingredient-may-not-be-safe-lawsuit/

A new lawsuit filed by the Center for Food Safety (CFS) claims that a color additive used to make Impossible meat look more like real beef could be harmful to human health.

The additive, soy leghemoglobin, creates the "bleeding" effect in the plant-based meat alternative but is made of genetically engineered yeast. While the substance was deemed safe for consumption by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2019, the lawsuit is challenging this decision, saying that soy leghemoglobin wasn't subjected to rigorous-enough safety tests. (Related: Grocery Shortages To Expect in 2021, According to Experts.)

According to the lawsuit, there must be "convincing evidence" of safety for any color additives to get approved by the FDA, but no such regulation is in place for food additives. It's not clear which category the novel additive falls under. Soy leghemoglobin also has "no history or knowledge of human dietary exposure." Based on this, the CFS says the FDA's approval of soy leghemoglobin should be vacated.

Impossible Foods reportedly submitted an animal study about its products that the lawsuit says "did not meet the minimum standards for such studies" and that "should have triggered additional, long-term testing" which didn't occur.

"The Center for Food Safety is suing the FDA; as a matter of policy, we wouldn't comment on a lawsuit between independent entities," an Impossible Foods spokesperson said in a statement to Eat This, Not That!. "That said, we are happy to comment on Impossible Foods' exceptional record of health and safety. The Center for Food Safety (CFS) is an anti-GMO, anti-science organization that has been spreading lies about Impossible Foods for years, with a track record that includes issuing patently false claims in a malicious attempt to defame Impossible Foods and its products. Impossible Foods puts health and safety first, and we meet or exceed all pertinent food-safety regulations. Our product is entirely legal everywhere we sell it. Impossible has worked closely with the FDA, the nation's food-safety guardian, and has shared both extensive test data and commercial plans with the government body. The FDA has recognized and confirmed multiple times that the Impossible Burger's key ingredient is safe to eat. Contrary to what CFS has been saying for years, Impossible Foods' products have undergone rigorous safety testing and meet or exceed all relevant federal requirements. We've gone above and beyond all regulatory requirements. For more details about the CFS' tired campaign against Impossible Foods, please check out this blog."

Studies have shown that certain color additives, also sometimes called food dyes, have harmful effects to animals and humans. Ones like Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6 have been linked to cancer. However, results of a 2018 study raised no issues regarding carcinogenic properties of leghemoglobin protein (LegH) from soy, as it looked at the effect of the additive in humans. For more, read the full case here: https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/files/2021-01-28--ecf-45-cfs-combined-reply-brief_82674.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:38 pm 

Guy Fieri debuts ‘apple pie hot dog’ for Yankees’ ‘Field of Dreams’ game
By Alex Mitchell

August 9, 2021 | 3:02pm | Updated
https://nypost.com/2021/08/09/guy-fieri-debuts-apple-pie-hot-dog-for-yankees-field-of-dreams-game/

Add one more star-caliber man to the New York Yankees vs. Chicago White Sox “Field of Dreams” game in Dyersville, Iowa — Guy Fieri and his new hot dog apple pie.

An unlikely marriage of two good ol’ American favorites, it’s a starting lineup of one juicy beef hot dog smothered in Fieri’s own bacon jam, “enveloped” in flaky pie crust and then topped with an apple mustard drizzle, demerara sugar and apple pie spice.

On Thursday, fans at the much-anticipated cornfield game will be the first murderers’ row to sample the Food Network host’s concoction.

For those looking to take a swing at the reci-pie, Fieri advises “getting your bacon nice and crispy, and then cooking it down with a little brown sugar, a little honey and apple cider vinegar.”

s for what goes around the dog, “I imagine you probably have an awesome apple pie filling that your grandma used to make, but if you want to get that canned stuff, it’s fine to use in this,” he said.

Then it’s crucial to stretch out the top pastry layer before popping these pie dogs in the oven at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.

Going “50-50” with apple pie filling and mustard is also pivotal to the pastry.

his screwball concept came from a Fieri-Chevrolet partnership that’s seen “the cool kids from Motor City” revamp their 1975 slogan “baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet go together in the good old U.S.A.”

“You’re gonna dig it!” Fieri said about the “funky throwback snack,” adding that he can’t wait to see first bite reactions from fans.

Is this heaven? No, it’s Flavortown.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:19 am 

^^