Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Adrian Belew
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:51 am 

BBP wrote:
I resent that remark. I have quite a few friends with mental disorders.

Same here. So what? It is very obvious that Gail got some problems!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:08 am 

Saw the Adrian Belew Power Trio here in Sydney recently and Andre Cholmondeley was the Tour Manager/Guitar Tech/Wizz.

Great show (saw 2 of them) and met Andre and the Slicks (Eric and Julie), and Adrian of course.

Adrian was great as usual, and Slicks were fantastic, and very nice people....talked to them at the bar before the show. Eric picked the music on my ZPZ tour tee shirt straight away as being The Black Page...even picked which section.

Some pics...

Andre sang a killer track with the band for an encore. I wish I had a chance to see P/O when I visited the US.

Happily, ZPZ will be here again in April, so we won't be starved of live FZ music.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:25 am 

Thanks for sharing, Uncle Bern!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:59 am 

Must have been hot at the concert... Great pics Bern!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:55 am 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FlyABvxOr/

attention guitar enthusiasts!!
click on the video to see adrian's promo for his signature parker fly
only $9599.95 cheap
kind of a cool guitar should last a lifetime or 2

http://thesurfonics.com/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:48 pm 

Eric Slick is one funny mother. I saw him Friday with P/O, and his scatting was absolutely hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 am 

Uncle Bernie wrote:
Saw the Adrian Belew Power Trio here in Sydney recently and Andre Cholmondeley was the Tour Manager/Guitar Tech/Wizz.

Of course I have to shout out that this is my favorite pix. Many of you know about our picture in a picture conceptual continuity drill from a few years ago. Xyqa had the pix which was three deep at the time and had it made into a mug. I took that mug to the Adrian Belew Power Trio show last spring and had Adrian sign it then had my pix taken with Andre and Adrian with me holding the mug. So now....Uncle Bernie took it one step further and had his picture taken with Adrian holding the picture of me with the mug, etc...

Crazy!

Thanks Bernie, you look fabulous!

Last edited by debutante_daisy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:06 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
Of course I have to shout out that this is my favorite pix. Many of you know how about our picture in a picture conceptual continuity drill from a few years ago. Xyqa had the pix which was three deep at the time and had it made into a mug. I took that mug to the Adrian Belew Power Trio show last spring and had Adrian sign it then had my pix taken with Andre and Adrian with me holding the mug. So now....Uncle Bernie took it one step further and had his picture taken with Adrian holding the picture of me with the mug, etc...

Crazy!

Ha - that's great! Keep it going! :D

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:01 am 

Oh wow! Thanks for the explanation Daisy! It was beautiful back then, and it's even more beautiful now!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:55 am 

Lovely pics. Hey, UB I have that Zappa shirt, as well! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:51 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:

Of course I have to shout out that this is my favorite pix. Many of you know how about our picture in a picture conceptual continuity drill from a few years ago. Xyqa had the pix which was three deep at the time and had it made into a mug. I took that mug to the Adrian Belew Power Trio show last spring and had Adrian sign it then had my pix taken with Andre and Adrian with me holding the mug. So now....Uncle Bernie took it one step further and had his picture taken with Adrian holding the picture of me with the mug, etc...

Crazy!

Thanks Daisy. I should have explained that pic a bit more, but I'm glad you popped in to do it. It's great that the cc continues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:48 pm 

Adrian Belew may cause some sort of space and time rift in the future. Look out!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28 am 

Apparently Adrian Belew Tells A Wealth of Stories At Noise11 iHeartRadio

http://www.noise11.com/news/adrian-bele ... o-20170616

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:54 pm 

Gizmodrome album review
14 hours ago / by Paul Lester

Four famous friends in a frantic, fun fandango

Gizmodrome is the first release by a four-piece who between them have already worked on dozens of albums. They’re a good old-fashioned supergroup, comprising Police drummer and soundtrack composer Stewart Copeland; Level 42’s slap-bassist extraordinaire Mark King; Adrian Belew, the guitar star of records by King Crimson, David Bowie, Frank Zappa and Talking Heads; and keyboard whizz Vittorio Cosma of Italian prog legends PFM.

If this sounds like an opportunity for a whole lot of instrument twiddling, well, that’s exactly what Gizmodrome is. They could easily have done it the modern way and swapped sound files, without once meeting. Instead, they did what musicians love to do: they got together to jam. Copeland and Cosma had collaborated before, but it was when they were joined by Belew and King in a Milan recording studio that Gizmodrome took shape.

You can imagine the jostling for position that took place. In a room full of egos, Copeland immediately appears to have emerged as the dominant force: his drumming is to the fore throughout, and he assumes the role of lead singer. His voice is an obdurate instrument that resembles the monotone intoning of a Zappa, although it’s nicely balanced out by King and Belew’s more melodic vocal backup.

Really, though, nobody is left hanging about here for long, and all four musicians get to enjoy plenty of performance time. It’s less a seamless fusion than a collision of opposites, which more often than not works. Gizmodrome showcases four musicians from disparate genres (pop, jazz funk, rock, prog) creating a listenable melee out of their individual virtuoso contributions.

Opener Zombies In The Mall is typical: it sounds like The Police at their rockiest and Level 42 at their jazz-funkiest, with Belew and Cosma respectively splashing guitar and keyboards, Pollock-style, on top. On Stay Ready and Man In The Mountain, Copeland’s nasal narrations have satirical intent, although it’s not clear what the targets are.

Summer’s Coming is, Copeland has explained, about dispensing with “virtuous serenity” and embracing depravity, a bacchanalian romp that captures the protagonist in the throes of a midlife crisis. Sweet Angels is prog funky, Strange Things Happen a reggae skank. Name a genre, they tackle it.

I Know Too Much is like being barracked at a dinner party by a conspiracy theorist, but that was probably the intention. Instrumental closer Stark Naked has a pleasing suppleness and invention, the players allowed space to noodle, making it a superb end to a fine album. Welcome to the Gizmodrome.

http://teamrock.com/review/2017-09-02/g ... bum-review

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:47 am 

^^^Thanks, GG. I will be getting this one fo' sho'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:38 am 

Adrian Belew’s recent publically-stated unhappiness regarding King Crimson playing songs from his era appears to have been resolved following a conversation between David Singleton and Martha Belew earlier this week.

Updating his Facebook page yesterday evening, Robert wrote:

Very happy to report that i have just spoken to Brother Belew and addressed various issues beginning with B and D. Ade and me have pledged to continue a convention of pumping down monster margaritas, both in Mount Juliet and here in Bredonborough, where Slinky Toes Willcox makes a mean margarita herself. Adrian has also agreed to be King Crimson's Ninth Man. Who knows what the future holds for this strange outfit?

And an hour later added...

Have just toasted Brother Ade at a distance with a Slinky Toes' Monster Margarita. There are no current plans for Adrian to come out with the current formation; but in Crimson's strange history there is a tendency for things to come around. So, Adrian has rejoined the larger family - hooray! - and doors to the future are open. So, no plans, but who knows what the future holds?
Right now, I'm looking forward to Gizmodrome and getting a few more guitar lessons...

Staying with Facebook, Adrian posted this...

oh happy day! robert and I just spoke on the phone for quite a while.
all is well between us and I am very relieved and happy.

And following a flurry of speculation regarding what was meant by the Ninth Man status, Adrian added...

HOLD IT EVERYONE. perhaps I can explain the concept of Ninth Man Inactive. it doesn't mean I'm back in the band currently. it means I may be back in the band in the future at some point. it leaves the door open for Crimson to evolve as necessary.

so, nothing for the future has changed with either Crimson or Gizmodrome but at least we now understand each and can continue our friendship.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:14 pm 

Excellent!

And KC's 50th Anniversary is next year... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm 

Agree. Adrian really is a crucial part of KC since Discipline.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
If they could get Bill out of retirement and invite David Cross, they could change their name to King Crimson Football Club!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7