Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Adrian Belew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:01 pm 

Does anyone know if allows taping of his shows. I want to do video and audio if possible but I cant find any info as to whether or not he allows it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:35 pm 

I have an AUD of a show on his Fall tour, so I imagine it's OK. It's from the Cat's Cradle - you can probably find it online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:20 pm 

I saw them in West Palm Beach, Florida.
They definitely allowed taping.
I was kicking myself for not bringing a camera.
The band was awesome, by the way!
Enjoy.

Slackerprince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:01 am 

So there were people openly doing video in Florida?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:29 am 

Yes, tripods and all.
I'm not going to guarantee that EVERY venue will allow it, but this one was. It was called, "The Theatre", in West Palm Beach. The artists usually have the say about whether it's o.k. to record and photo, so, it should be o.k. elsewhere. It might say on the ticket, also.
Good luck and have fun. The Power Trio is awesome. Check out the 20 & 21 year-old drum and bass brother and sister. Amazing.

Slackerprince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:36 pm 
Banned

PeonMe wrote:
Does anyone know if allows taping of his shows. I want to do video and audio if possible but I cant find any info as to whether or not he allows it.

Hey, nice avatar.

[size=0]Isaac[/size]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:38 am 

More dates for the Adrian Belew Power Trio.
At the Ottawa Blues Fest, Adrian is scheduled to go on at 7:15 followed by ZpZ at 8:30. Damn, that should be a cool backstage meet-up with Andre Cholmondeley, Eric Slick & the Dweez'.

05/28/08 Mercy Lounge Nashville, TN

05/29/08 Smith's Olde Bar Atlanta, GA

05/30/08 Skippers Smokehouse Tampa, FL

05/31/08 Bamboo Room Lake Worth, FL

06/04/08 Stella Blue Asheville, NC

06/05/08 Cat's Cradle Carrboro, NC

06/06/08 Rams Head Tavern Annapolis, MD

06/07/08 Mexicali Blues Teaneck, NJ

06/08/08 Revolution Hall Troy, NJ

07/05/08 Ottawa Bluesfest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:48 am 
Banned

Adrian Belew me.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:03 pm 

brainpang wrote:
05/29/08 Smith's Olde Bar Atlanta, GA

:)
WOO HOOOOO!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:45 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQ2MyQ-K38
This is the video I took from the show I went to last month.
Jammin' Java
Vienna, Virginia

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:23 pm 
Banned

- just now got the following email from Eric Svalgård -

Listen in tomorrow as I have a special guest on Guitar Talk, Adrian Belew, of King Crimson, Talking Heads, David Bowie and Frank Zappa.
Sunday, June 1, 1:00-2:00PM (ET), we will be playing Adrian's music and discussing his solo tour and the up-coming King Crimson Tour this summer.
Cruisin' 92.1-FM or www.wvlt.com

Eric Svalgård, Director
School of Rock-Wilmington www.schoolofrockde.com
on the road with Project/Object www.projectobject.com
and on the radio with Jim Cara on GUITAR TALK, Sundays at 1:00PM (ET) www.wvlt.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:30 pm 

Another great show last night. Belew is the only guy in the world who can entertain me with an electric guitar for an hour or two straight. Everyone else stinks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:20 pm 

brainpang wrote:
More dates for the Adrian Belew Power Trio.
At the Ottawa Blues Fest, Adrian is scheduled to go on at 7:15 followed by ZpZ at 8:30. Damn, that should be a cool backstage meet-up with Andre Cholmondeley, Eric Slick & the Dweez'.

It would definitely be interesting to see what words would be exchanged if Dweezil & Andre crossed paths. If you ask me, Andre made a complete ass of himself and was totally classless badmouthing the Zappa family at his own website, the KUR page and here before he got booted. I wouldn't expect Dweezil to give him the time of day. Andre will probably be the rift between the ZPZ & Belew having a potential sharing of the stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:00 am 

I think Andre' is just sticking up for his friends, for whom he feels they have been mistreated. As an outsider looking in, I can understand why he lashes out. That's all. I'm not interested in arguing. Have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:38 am 

Aw, I think it's going to be two nights of incredible music in both Ottawa and Quebec and I'm really excited beyond belief to be able to see Zappa Plays Zappa and the Adrian Belew Power Trio in one night (make that two!) though of course the music fanatic in me can't help but dabble in a little fantasy...

Hi, Brainpang!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:55 am 

debutante_daisy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQ2MyQ-K38
This is the video I took from the show I went to last month.
Jammin' Java
Vienna, Virginia

8)

Very cool, enjoyed that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:19 pm 

Robin Slick wrote:
Aw, I think it's going to be two nights of incredible music in both Ottawa and Quebec and I'm really excited beyond belief to be able to see Zappa Plays Zappa and the Adrian Belew Power Trio in one night (make that two!) though of course the music fanatic in me can't help but dabble in a little fantasy...

Hi, Brainpang!

Hey! I ran into your husband at the strip club after the show and inquired as to your well being. What a night! Phew. Sorry you did not make it up to North Jersey. Would have liked to meet you. Have fun in Canada, bp

p.s. that was a joke about the hubby. I pull that gag on my sister all the time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 pm 

Man, as a drummer myself. I could watch/listen to Julie's playing all goddam day. Very solid player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:48 am 

Ha ha - if you find Gary in a strip club, please take a photo for me as I would love to see the look on his, um, face.

I wish I could have been in NJ Saturday night but we take turns babysitting the dog....I got the better end of this deal with the Canada/east coast jaunt though. Will you be at the NYC show July 11? By this time, you should be eligible for the guest list...I'll see what I can do.

Wheatgurm, as a drummer, you can listen to Julie all day or did you mean Eric or...I know...you really mean both!

Actually, Eric just got a last minute call to sub for a drummer at Bonnaroo and he's on his way there now after being back from the ABPT tour all of one day so maybe he'll have a chance to meet up with ZPZ backstage there...okay...there I go dreaming again, but hey, it could happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:09 am 

Unfortunately I do not posses a quality recording of the trio.
While I appreciated that youtube clip the talent and musicianship of this trio deserve to be heard with proper sonics. I am happy for Eric & his sister having this ongoing opportunity that Mr Belew has offered them.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 am 

Robin Slick wrote:
Ha ha - if you find Gary in a strip club, please take a photo for me as I would love to see the look on his, um, face.

I wish I could have been in NJ Saturday night but we take turns babysitting the dog....I got the better end of this deal with the Canada/east coast jaunt though. Will you be at the NYC show July 11? By this time, you should be eligible for the guest list...I'll see what I can do.

Wheatgurm, as a drummer, you can listen to Julie all day or did you mean Eric or...I know...you really mean both!

Actually, Eric just got a last minute call to sub for a drummer at Bonnaroo and he's on his way there now after being back from the ABPT tour all of one day so maybe he'll have a chance to meet up with ZPZ backstage there...okay...there I go dreaming again, but hey, it could happen.

Well sure both. :) As Eric is a great drummer.
I should have been more clear. What I meant was, as a drummer myself I really tend to focus in on the bass playing, her sound is thick, I love it. Its hard to find a good bass player to play behind these days. Most players have no feel to it. They just stay w/ their presious 8th notes and think they're good haha.
My hats off to those two kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:22 am 

Why thank you, Mr. Trendmonger. Yeah, You Tubes are generally not good quality and a pretty unfair representation of most bands. But it is amazing how both Julie and Eric continue to grow as musicians after two years of touring with Adrian under their belt. Perhaps you would like to come to the NYC show as well so that you can make an up to date, honest evaluation?

I say that because I see a lot of comparisons here which are pretty unfair.

Joe Travers is an absolutely awesome drummer. So is Terry Bozzio. So is Bill Bruford, Ginger Baker, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto...and some say that about Eric Slick. My point is, there's plenty of air for them all to breathe without snuffing/dissing the other...they all bring something exciting and brilliant to the table in their own way and we're all the better for it.
Edited to add: Hey, thanks for that, Wheatgurm. Very cool!

Last edited by Robin Slick on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:26 am 

Robin Slick wrote:
Why thank you, Mr. Trendmonger. Yeah, You Tubes are generally not good quality and a pretty unfair representation of most bands. But it is amazing how both Julie and Eric continue to grow as musicians after two years of touring with Adrian under their belt. Perhaps you would like to come to the NYC show as well so that you can make an up to date, honest evaluation?

Joe Travers is an absolutely awesome drummer. So is Terry Bozzio. So is Bill Bruford, Ginger Baker, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto, your boy Warren...and some say that about Eric Slick. My point is, there's plenty of air for them all to breathe without snuffing/dissing the other...they all bring something exciting and brilliant to the table in their own way and we're all the better for it.
Edited to add: Hey, thanks for that, Wheatgurm. Very cool!

If and when they come to Portland Or. PM me and Im sooo there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:38 am 

Robin Slick wrote:
Why thank you, Mr. Trendmonger. Yeah, You Tubes are generally not good quality and a pretty unfair representation of most bands. But it is amazing how both Julie and Eric continue to grow as musicians with two years of touring with Adrian under their belt. Perhaps you would like to come to the NYC show as well so that you can make an up to date, honest evaluation?

Joe Travers is an absolutely awesome drummer. So is Terry Bozzio. So is Bill Bruford, Ginger Baker, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto, your boy Warren...and some say that about Eric Slick. My point is, there's plenty of air for them all to breathe without snuffing/dissing the other...they all bring something exciting and brilliant to the table in their own way and we're all the better for it.

Robin,
As much as I would not only like to see the trio and but also progression of your children in a ongoing professional musical adventure at this time, my time within itself is extremely limited. You see my wife and I are expecting our second child in early July so I think the probability of attending the show is not all that feasible. While I will be out and about seeing some shows I have prioritized ZPZ and Return To Forever. Unfortunately the frequency of which I go to concerts these days is not what it once was but if I had the time I would attend and use my eyes and ears objectively.

Once again I am glad your children are having this ongoing opportunity and I think their talents have and will continue to blossom. From what I have noticed so far I am seeing a progression of not only professional development but musical expression.

I remember first seeing them back at BB Kings with Paul Green's SOR. I was initially impressed for the context of what that was. Any criticism I have had on their playing at any time has been more so based on some basic expressionism that showed more so a lack of articulation of the so called notes and professional experience but as time goes on I can even see in that youtube clip they are developing quite nicely or should I call it blooming.

you should be proud
Peace

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:00 am 

Thank you, T.M., and congratulations on the impending birth of your second child! How exciting!

And I truly appreciate your words of kindness and encouragement.

I have seen Return to Forever on many prior occasions. I don't blame you. I am looking forward to seeing both them (again) and ZPZ myself in a big way.

xo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next