Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Been one of the craziest 2 weeks of my life. Long story short, Dad passed away unexpectedly on June 23rd at only 60 years old, this is the last of my immediate family, being an only child and Mom having been gone for nearly 20 years. This led to an impromptu trip back to my home town deep in the midwest, that I have not been to in many years. On the way there we ran into a 10-hour layover flying out of Denver, after taking the red-eye out of Portland. After arriving at our destination we got to deal with relatives who were mildly pleasant at best, and less than sympathetic (save one aunt who was quite helpful). We then proceeded to drive just shy of 2000 miles in a 15' Uhaul truck with as many of my father's possessions as could fit and 2 non-traveling cats. Neither of us are very experienced long-distance drivers. Well, after a few tears, a few scratches, and lots of gas money, we have made it back home safe and sound. Hard to believe at this time last year we were hurriedly trying to get things finished for our wedding, and now we're trying to recover from a funeral. Sometimes life is just unreal.

Sorry to hear what you are going through. It's a total shock to the system especially when it is so unexpected. Hope you don't forget to take care of yourself as time goes on, and get some much needed sleep when you can.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Sorry to hear what you are going through. It's a total shock to the system especially when it is so unexpected. Hope you don't forget to take care of yourself as time goes on, and get some much needed sleep when you can.

Very much appreciated MB!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Been one of the craziest 2 weeks of my life. Long story short, Dad passed away unexpectedly on June 23rd at only 60 years old, this is the last of my immediate family, being an only child and Mom having been gone for nearly 20 years. This led to an impromptu trip back to my home town deep in the midwest, that I have not been to in many years. On the way there we ran into a 10-hour layover flying out of Denver, after taking the red-eye out of Portland. After arriving at our destination we got to deal with relatives who were mildly pleasant at best, and less than sympathetic (save one aunt who was quite helpful). We then proceeded to drive just shy of 2000 miles in a 15' Uhaul truck with as many of my father's possessions as could fit and 2 non-traveling cats. Neither of us are very experienced long-distance drivers. Well, after a few tears, a few scratches, and lots of gas money, we have made it back home safe and sound. Hard to believe at this time last year we were hurriedly trying to get things finished for our wedding, and now we're trying to recover from a funeral. Sometimes life is just unreal.
Milton Bradley wrote:
I can only agree with milton bradley and previous posts. hang in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I can only agree with milton bradley and previous posts. hang in there.

Many thanks Lumpy!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 am 

Oh man
Sending an enormous stream of bright clean 'n' green positive vibes to you and yours.....

Cats in the cab! the adventure you can do without.

We did a long eleven hours with Max (mine - indoor) and Boris (hers - outdoor) neither were car cats and neither could abide a cat box a cage or a collar or each other and these were a couple of territorial wild boys. Somehow, on the loose with the wife running interference seemed like the way to go. During the day after a little panic they eventually hid and slept, the night time was a long series a flying cat surprise attacks as they stalked each other all around the car, which was a station wagon full of stuff so they had a nice little playground, that included under the brake pedal, my face, her face, scared the crap out of me/us more than once, the noise was unreal and the stereo was invaluable.....
It took several serious attempts to get the smell of cats piss out of that car, well over six Months later I'd be driving at night and I swear I could smell a hint of cats piss and I'd get an adrenalin surge and break out in a cold sweat.....

Easily among my top twenty most dangerous drives.....

for the return journey, we drugged them.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:32 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Oh man
Sending an enormous stream of bright clean 'n' green positive vibes to you and yours.....

We did a long eleven hours with Max (mine - indoor) and Boris (hers - outdoor) neither were car cats and neither could abide a cat box a cage or a collar or each other and these were a couple of territorial wild boys. Somehow, on the loose with the wife running interference seemed like the way to go. During the day after a little panic they eventually hid and slept, the night time was a long series a flying cat surprise attacks as they stalked each other all around the car, which was a station wagon full of stuff so they had a nice little playground, that included under the brake pedal, my face, her face, scared the crap out of me/us more than once, the noise was unreal and the stereo was invaluable.....
It took several serious attempts to get the smell of cats piss out of that car, well over six Months later I'd be driving at night and I swear I could smell a hint of cats piss and I'd get an adrenalin surge and break out in a cold sweat.....

Thanks GG! It was quite an adventure...though not nearly as eventful as yours, thank goodness!! I had read about this sort of thing happening with cats loose in the vehicle. Ultimately we decided to put them in 2 separate cat carriers to keep them more under control. They didn't exactly like it, but would eventually just go to sleep after some bitching. From my experience with these particular animals, it seems the less options you give them in an unfamiliar environment the better. So glad to be back at home getting everyone settled in!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Oh man

RG and I read this and laughed are ass off, very well written... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Oh man

RG and I read this and laughed are ass off, very well written... :mrgreen:

:oops: :lol:

There was a third cat on that particular journey, Floyd (ours - any where he wants) the official ghost cat, who was a master stowaway and escape artist that was convinced he was a dog.
As far as Max (black) and Boris (gray) were concerned Floyd (white XXL pink ears) was the alpha male and they gave him a wide berth, he was half their size but relentless.....
Floyd, being a dog had zero interest in the cat wars and spent most of the trip from hell sleeping or sticking his head out the window, no problem.....
Floyd the stowaway, when I travelled for work driving a couple of hundred K's a day with a wagon full of car parts and tools etc, stopping here there and everywhere visiting mechanics, all sorts of folks in and out of the car, suddenly around four or five hours into the day Floyd would appear in his spot tucked in below the headrest above your right shoulder, giving you a nice little fright when he popped out. This hide and seek happened dozens of times, I'd actively search the car and not find him, but he'd be in there planning his afternoon surprise and practicing his "crack that window" stare.
The classic ghost cat appearance was about two or three Months after he was given to us, and we still knew little of his powers. Four of us had driven a couple of hours North to a relative's home for the obligatory (is you part o' dis here family or not darling) visit, and we were sitting around discussing who in the family was a freshly minted member of the lgbtqia community over a cup of tea when Floyd strolls into the kitchen takes a casual drink from their pet's water bowl then without a glance saunters out the door, "oh we've got a little white cat too" says the lady wife, the cousin, who had only seen the Flexit, said something about f@#kin' neighborhood strays while the back seat boys, having spent hours playing fetch with Floyd, were in open mouthed bobble head mode, I popped out to the car and predictably he was nowhere to be seen.....A little later he reappeared for some barbeque food and I was able to grab him up and prove to the little woman that it was indeed Floyd the ghost cat 60 miles from HQ.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:00 am 

Met Polydigm!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:43 am 

BBP wrote:
Met Polydigm!

Where?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 am 

Moving day! Finally getting back to where I want to be eight months after the fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 am 

BBP wrote:
Met Polydigm!

Do tell... :x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 am 

KUIII wrote:
Moving day! Finally getting back to where I want to be eight months after the fire.

Great news ku... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
There was a third cat on that particular journey, Floyd (ours - any where he wants) the official ghost cat, who was a master stowaway and escape artist that was convinced he was a dog.
As far as Max (black) and Boris (gray) were concerned Floyd (white XXL pink ears) was the alpha male and they gave him a wide berth, he was half their size but relentless.....
Floyd, being a dog had zero interest in the cat wars and spent most of the trip from hell sleeping or sticking his head out the window, no problem.....
Floyd the stowaway, when I travelled for work driving a couple of hundred K's a day with a wagon full of car parts and tools etc, stopping here there and everywhere visiting mechanics, all sorts of folks in and out of the car, suddenly around four or five hours into the day Floyd would appear in his spot tucked in below the headrest above your right shoulder, giving you a nice little fright when he popped out. This hide and seek happened dozens of times, I'd actively search the car and not find him, but he'd be in there planning his afternoon surprise and practicing his "crack that window" stare.
The classic ghost cat appearance was about two or three Months after he was given to us, and we still knew little of his powers. Four of us had driven a couple of hours North to a relative's home for the obligatory (is you part o' dis here family or not darling) visit, and we were sitting around discussing who in the family was a freshly minted member of the lgbtqia community over a cup of tea when Floyd strolls into the kitchen takes a casual drink from their pet's water bowl then without a glance saunters out the door, "oh we've got a little white cat too" says the lady wife, the cousin, who had only seen the Flexit, said something about f@#kin' neighborhood strays while the back seat boys, having spent hours playing fetch with Floyd, were in open mouthed bobble head mode, I popped out to the car and predictably he was nowhere to be seen.....A little later he reappeared for some barbeque food and I was able to grab him up and prove to the little woman that it was indeed Floyd the ghost cat 60 miles from HQ.....

You should probably just start up a blog with animal travel stories, this stuff is gold!! :D :mrgreen:

KUIII wrote:

Very glad to hear it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 am 

Grey you got us again, we had a wonderful laugh reading the adventures of Ghost Cat... :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458