Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Sorry to hear what you are going through. It's a total shock to the system especially when it is so unexpected. Hope you don't forget to take care of yourself as time goes on, and get some much needed sleep when you can.

Very much appreciated MB!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:49 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Been one of the craziest 2 weeks of my life. Long story short, Dad passed away unexpectedly on June 23rd at only 60 years old, this is the last of my immediate family, being an only child and Mom having been gone for nearly 20 years. This led to an impromptu trip back to my home town deep in the midwest, that I have not been to in many years. On the way there we ran into a 10-hour layover flying out of Denver, after taking the red-eye out of Portland. After arriving at our destination we got to deal with relatives who were mildly pleasant at best, and less than sympathetic (save one aunt who was quite helpful). We then proceeded to drive just shy of 2000 miles in a 15' Uhaul truck with as many of my father's possessions as could fit and 2 non-traveling cats. Neither of us are very experienced long-distance drivers. Well, after a few tears, a few scratches, and lots of gas money, we have made it back home safe and sound. Hard to believe at this time last year we were hurriedly trying to get things finished for our wedding, and now we're trying to recover from a funeral. Sometimes life is just unreal.
Milton Bradley wrote:
Sorry to hear what you are going through. It's a total shock to the system especially when it is so unexpected. Hope you don't forget to take care of yourself as time goes on, and get some much needed sleep when you can.
I can only agree with milton bradley and previous posts. hang in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
I can only agree with milton bradley and previous posts. hang in there.

Many thanks Lumpy!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:18 am 

Oh man
Sending an enormous stream of bright clean 'n' green positive vibes to you and yours.....

Cats in the cab! the adventure you can do without.

We did a long eleven hours with Max (mine - indoor) and Boris (hers - outdoor) neither were car cats and neither could abide a cat box a cage or a collar or each other and these were a couple of territorial wild boys. Somehow, on the loose with the wife running interference seemed like the way to go. During the day after a little panic they eventually hid and slept, the night time was a long series a flying cat surprise attacks as they stalked each other all around the car, which was a station wagon full of stuff so they had a nice little playground, that included under the brake pedal, my face, her face, scared the crap out of me/us more than once, the noise was unreal and the stereo was invaluable.....
It took several serious attempts to get the smell of cats piss out of that car, well over six Months later I'd be driving at night and I swear I could smell a hint of cats piss and I'd get an adrenalin surge and break out in a cold sweat.....

Easily among my top twenty most dangerous drives.....

for the return journey, we drugged them.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:32 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Oh man
Sending an enormous stream of bright clean 'n' green positive vibes to you and yours.....

We did a long eleven hours with Max (mine - indoor) and Boris (hers - outdoor) neither were car cats and neither could abide a cat box a cage or a collar or each other and these were a couple of territorial wild boys. Somehow, on the loose with the wife running interference seemed like the way to go. During the day after a little panic they eventually hid and slept, the night time was a long series a flying cat surprise attacks as they stalked each other all around the car, which was a station wagon full of stuff so they had a nice little playground, that included under the brake pedal, my face, her face, scared the crap out of me/us more than once, the noise was unreal and the stereo was invaluable.....
It took several serious attempts to get the smell of cats piss out of that car, well over six Months later I'd be driving at night and I swear I could smell a hint of cats piss and I'd get an adrenalin surge and break out in a cold sweat.....

Thanks GG! It was quite an adventure...though not nearly as eventful as yours, thank goodness!! I had read about this sort of thing happening with cats loose in the vehicle. Ultimately we decided to put them in 2 separate cat carriers to keep them more under control. They didn't exactly like it, but would eventually just go to sleep after some bitching. From my experience with these particular animals, it seems the less options you give them in an unfamiliar environment the better. So glad to be back at home getting everyone settled in!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Oh man

RG and I read this and laughed are ass off, very well written... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Oh man

RG and I read this and laughed are ass off, very well written... :mrgreen:

:oops: :lol:

There was a third cat on that particular journey, Floyd (ours - any where he wants) the official ghost cat, who was a master stowaway and escape artist that was convinced he was a dog.
As far as Max (black) and Boris (gray) were concerned Floyd (white XXL pink ears) was the alpha male and they gave him a wide berth, he was half their size but relentless.....
Floyd, being a dog had zero interest in the cat wars and spent most of the trip from hell sleeping or sticking his head out the window, no problem.....
Floyd the stowaway, when I travelled for work driving a couple of hundred K's a day with a wagon full of car parts and tools etc, stopping here there and everywhere visiting mechanics, all sorts of folks in and out of the car, suddenly around four or five hours into the day Floyd would appear in his spot tucked in below the headrest above your right shoulder, giving you a nice little fright when he popped out. This hide and seek happened dozens of times, I'd actively search the car and not find him, but he'd be in there planning his afternoon surprise and practicing his "crack that window" stare.
The classic ghost cat appearance was about two or three Months after he was given to us, and we still knew little of his powers. Four of us had driven a couple of hours North to a relative's home for the obligatory (is you part o' dis here family or not darling) visit, and we were sitting around discussing who in the family was a freshly minted member of the lgbtqia community over a cup of tea when Floyd strolls into the kitchen takes a casual drink from their pet's water bowl then without a glance saunters out the door, "oh we've got a little white cat too" says the lady wife, the cousin, who had only seen the Flexit, said something about f@#kin' neighborhood strays while the back seat boys, having spent hours playing fetch with Floyd, were in open mouthed bobble head mode, I popped out to the car and predictably he was nowhere to be seen.....A little later he reappeared for some barbeque food and I was able to grab him up and prove to the little woman that it was indeed Floyd the ghost cat 60 miles from HQ.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:00 am 

Met Polydigm!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:43 am 

BBP wrote:
Met Polydigm!

Where?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 am 

Moving day! Finally getting back to where I want to be eight months after the fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 am 

BBP wrote:
Met Polydigm!

Do tell... :x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 am 

KUIII wrote:
Moving day! Finally getting back to where I want to be eight months after the fire.

Great news ku... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:49 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
There was a third cat on that particular journey, Floyd (ours - any where he wants) the official ghost cat, who was a master stowaway and escape artist that was convinced he was a dog.
As far as Max (black) and Boris (gray) were concerned Floyd (white XXL pink ears) was the alpha male and they gave him a wide berth, he was half their size but relentless.....
Floyd, being a dog had zero interest in the cat wars and spent most of the trip from hell sleeping or sticking his head out the window, no problem.....
Floyd the stowaway, when I travelled for work driving a couple of hundred K's a day with a wagon full of car parts and tools etc, stopping here there and everywhere visiting mechanics, all sorts of folks in and out of the car, suddenly around four or five hours into the day Floyd would appear in his spot tucked in below the headrest above your right shoulder, giving you a nice little fright when he popped out. This hide and seek happened dozens of times, I'd actively search the car and not find him, but he'd be in there planning his afternoon surprise and practicing his "crack that window" stare.
The classic ghost cat appearance was about two or three Months after he was given to us, and we still knew little of his powers. Four of us had driven a couple of hours North to a relative's home for the obligatory (is you part o' dis here family or not darling) visit, and we were sitting around discussing who in the family was a freshly minted member of the lgbtqia community over a cup of tea when Floyd strolls into the kitchen takes a casual drink from their pet's water bowl then without a glance saunters out the door, "oh we've got a little white cat too" says the lady wife, the cousin, who had only seen the Flexit, said something about f@#kin' neighborhood strays while the back seat boys, having spent hours playing fetch with Floyd, were in open mouthed bobble head mode, I popped out to the car and predictably he was nowhere to be seen.....A little later he reappeared for some barbeque food and I was able to grab him up and prove to the little woman that it was indeed Floyd the ghost cat 60 miles from HQ.....

You should probably just start up a blog with animal travel stories, this stuff is gold!! :D :mrgreen:

KUIII wrote:

Very glad to hear it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 am 

Grey you got us again, we had a wonderful laugh reading the adventures of Ghost Cat... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 pm 

My wife and I are on a road trip in a camper van from Paris to Bad Doberan and back over eighteen days. One of our campsite stops was near Eindhoven and we met up with Bonny and her boyfriend for lunch and a visit to the modern art museum. Her dad also dropped by during lunch. We had a great time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:25 am 

I got my Medicare card in the mail. It had slipped my mind that I was 65. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 am 

polydigm wrote:
My wife and I are on a road trip in a camper van from Paris to Bad Doberan and back over eighteen days. One of our campsite stops was near Eindhoven and we met up with Bonny and her boyfriend for lunch and a visit to the modern art museum. Her dad also dropped by during lunch. We had a great time!

That is awesome, great idea Poly road trip in Europe...before she passed Terri and I had been planning to fly to Paris and drive to Sweden or vis a virsa, but everyone said the fuel would be far to expensive...are you dealing with that issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 am 

Heading by Amtrak to Seattle. 2 days ride from Minneapolis. Fly back...enough discomfort for one trip. I actually got a free ride, it was a 2 for one ticket sale in May.

Stopping 30 min at a major metropolis here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minot,_North_Dakota
I got a coffee, but a latte was possible too. The only liberal I met was running the coffee stand trailer (covered for her) near the station. There has been some Democrat action in the Dakotas, mostly related to the pipeline resistance.

We've been able to get some ranchers to resist on this issue, actual Republicans. Ground water issues are about the only issue where rural folks ...even Republicans..are speaking out to their state senators etc. Healthcare and rural hospitals should be an issue, but not yet fully in the news, politics and action. We in the nearby prairie state passed a Medicaid expansion finally but the governor is deagging his feet, "since Obamacare is dead."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 am 

Waitress attempted to short-change me by $10, but I corrected her mistake. She was unable to apologize. Peace anyway :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 am 

Arriving in Montana soon. What are some Montana dates and locations for Zappa shows?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Been one of the craziest 2 weeks of my life. Long story short, Dad passed away unexpectedly on June 23rd at only 60 years old, this is the last of my immediate family, being an only child and Mom having been gone for nearly 20 years. This led to an impromptu trip back to my home town deep in the midwest, that I have not been to in many years. On the way there we ran into a 10-hour layover flying out of Denver, after taking the red-eye out of Portland. After arriving at our destination we got to deal with relatives who were mildly pleasant at best, and less than sympathetic (save one aunt who was quite helpful). We then proceeded to drive just shy of 2000 miles in a 15' Uhaul truck with as many of my father's possessions as could fit and 2 non-traveling cats. Neither of us are very experienced long-distance drivers. Well, after a few tears, a few scratches, and lots of gas money, we have made it back home safe and sound. Hard to believe at this time last year we were hurriedly trying to get things finished for our wedding, and now we're trying to recover from a funeral. Sometimes life is just unreal.

Condolences. I lost both my parents, Oct and Dec 2017. My Dad was 95 and had a pretty good wicket, sad but not untimely. My Mum was 91 after 5 years of dementia, which were pretty bleak, so mostly a relief - we'd lost who she was much earlier. My Dad left behind a younger second wife, with whom my wife and I get on well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 am 

OK, no. States never visited with concerts:
Alaska, Delaware, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming
Canadian provinces visited (6) Alberta (Calgary, Edmonton) etc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 am 

Plook wrote:
polydigm wrote:

That is awesome, great idea Poly road trip in Europe...before she passed Terri and I had been planning to fly to Paris and drive to Sweden or vis a virsa, but everyone said the fuel would be far to expensive...are you dealing with that issue?

Yes, petrol is more expensive in Europe, but it's not a reason not to do it. For us, the major cost is the flights and the hire of the camper van. We had little idea, apart from obvious educated guesses relating to other experiences, how this would turn out and I'm glad to say we're loving it and are now planning a camper van tour around the UK in a couple of years time. We're now even considering buying our own camper van back in Australia - there are still some journeys we'd like to make before eventually heading for the UK permanently.

I think it's either your thing or it isn't, but you won't find out if you don't try. We're both into travel and have got relatives living in at least four different countries. We had both had quite a few addresses (consecutively of course) before we met and are onto our fifth together at the moment and that won't be the last.

Don't let the cost of petrol put you off, you only live once. I guess that's easy for me to say, but there it is. It's swings and roundabouts - we've always considered that travel was more important to us than driving around in a recent model, higher end car, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:53 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Condolences. I lost both my parents, Oct and Dec 2017. My Dad was 95 and had a pretty good wicket, sad but not untimely. My Mum was 91 after 5 years of dementia, which were pretty bleak, so mostly a relief - we'd lost who she was much earlier. My Dad left behind a younger second wife, with whom my wife and I get on well.

Thanks polydigm, I'm sorry for your loss as well. While the sudden shock of an unexpected death is very difficult, I am grateful I did not have to see either of my parents go through much deterioration.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:04 am 

My Dad had some physical difficullties during the last few years of his life but he had his wits about him until the end. I had given him the odd hug over the years - he was very traditional English - but he wanted to hold my hand when he was dying. He knew what was happening and refused intervention. It was all very natural,

I’m not manic depressive but do have tendencies and during that five years with my Mum there was a massive black cloud over my life. I didn’t jump for joy when she died, but it was a huge relief for me - and she had already indicated, several times, that she’d had enough and I had to tell her there was nothing I could legally do about it.

I’ve been making up for it since, I’m not wasting a second.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 455, 456, 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462  Next