Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11042 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 438, 439, 440, 441, 442  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Nearly involved in a high-speed rollover on the expressway while driving 75mph. A white blur zipped past in the left lane going 85-90mph and swerved tightly in front of me and just behind a semi and then back again in half a second in just enough time to see the springs and shocks decompress from the abrupt energy slosh. Texas plate. Were they texting, applying make-up, receiving road-head? Based on all the youtube videos I've seen, I was sure I was a goner. Phew, dodged a potential life ender there. :wink:

Three years later: "Whatever became of MB? Haven't heard from him in a while."

Glad you're ok, but what is the speed limit in the US, exactly?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 pm 

Caputh wrote:

I'll let Milty answer for the U.S., but for around here...

"Back in Ontario, I started thinking about the logic of speed enforcement. Cruising on Hwy 401, I realized that the vast majority of traffic was travelling well above the 100 km/h limit; the median speed appeared to be in the 120 km/h range.

As a test, I set my cruise control for 100 and travelled from Toronto to Windsor, a distance of just under 400 km. In my four-hour trip, I was passed by hundreds of cars, including several OPP cruisers – almost no one obeyed the posted limit, including the police.

"There is a natural speed all over the planet," says Klimek. "And it's not 100. It's 130. That's the speed we gravitate to. We don't want to be criminalized for driving at a safe and responsible speed."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e18785514/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
Nearly involved in a high-speed rollover on the expressway while driving 75mph. A white blur zipped past in the left lane going 85-90mph and swerved tightly in front of me and just behind a semi and then back again in half a second in just enough time to see the springs and shocks decompress from the abrupt energy slosh. Texas plate. Were they texting, applying make-up, receiving road-head? Based on all the youtube videos I've seen, I was sure I was a goner. Phew, dodged a potential life ender there. :wink:

Three years later: "Whatever became of MB? Haven't heard from him in a while."

I have been in similar situations on major highways, about ten seconds after you realize it's going to be ok your heart starts beating very fast... :!:

We really need some way to know if something happens to our members, especially since many of us are getting along in years, I recommend giving a close family member or friend instructions on how to notify us through your Forum account if something befalls a member... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:14 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Cruising on Hwy 401, I realized that the vast majority of traffic was travelling well above the 100 km/h limit;

I must admit, however, I had my GTA up to 225 km/h (once) on the 401.
Not recommended for novice drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Caputh wrote:

"Back in Ontario, I started thinking about the logic of speed enforcement. Cruising on Hwy 401, I realized that the vast majority of traffic was travelling well above the 100 km/h limit; the median speed appeared to be in the 120 km/h range.

As a test, I set my cruise control for 100 and travelled from Toronto to Windsor, a distance of just under 400 km. In my four-hour trip, I was passed by hundreds of cars, including several OPP cruisers – almost no one obeyed the posted limit, including the police.

"There is a natural speed all over the planet," says Klimek. "And it's not 100. It's 130. That's the speed we gravitate to. We don't want to be criminalized for driving at a safe and responsible speed."

The I5 is the main artery through California, the basic speed limit in California is 65 mph in some more dense areas it can 60, 55, and occasionally 50...I5 has a 70 mph limit through the vast open stretches and the CHP (California Highway Patrol) are tolerant for the most part up to 79 mph, that's what I set my cruise to or 77 mph...many people will pass me going 85, 90, and more....when possible I will jump in the middle of one of these groups and run with them for a while to make time, this is called driving in the cradle because from the rear they may pull over one or two cars and if you get hit with front facing radar from the opposite side of the rode (the most popular way capturing speeders) again they normally get car one maybe car two...therefore if you are the car in the middle you are safe riding in the cradle... :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

Germany's always the country that's famous for having no speed limit on freeways at all. However, we do have a suggested speed limit of 130 Kmh (80 mph). If an accident occurs and you were driving above 130 Kmh, then you are liable for at least 1/3 of the costs for that accident, no matter if you were at fault, or not. It doesn't stop loads of people driving faster, though. Funnily enough, they all drive silver Mercedes. One moment they're a speck in the distance of your rear-view mirror. The next, they're up your arse.

France is much more relaxing - no cars on the freeway at all.

Still...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e11h73WhqK4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 pm 

Yeah, on the freeway as Plooker mentioned depending on traffic congestion, the speed limit varies (I'm in Michigan) from 65,70 and 75 mph. There is a push to get it up to 85. I think this push is from accident lawyers who want to up their bottom line.

For the past three years though I drive like the little old lady from Pasadena. I go the posted speed limits much to the consternation of those around me. Not because I'm a square, but because I want to get the most out of the car and improve my mileage especially over the lifetime of the car. I want to get a sticker that says "I don't have to speed, I woke up on time." If someone gives me a hard time about driving slowly, I usually say that my parole officer said I couldn't break any laws; anyway, I.. cannot... return back to prison-life (just a bit of sarcasm, folks)

Driving the posted speed limit has been interesting. Certainly has made me more relaxed behind the wheel. I can't tell you the number of eyelids I see of oncoming drivers looking downward at their mobile device. That grinds my gears! Sometimes I've even seen truck-drivers zipping past with a full newspaper spread across the wheel. Too much distracted driving.New teenage drivers already have those bad habits instilled into them. I try to anticipate that the person behind me is checking their news feed while steering with their knees. This is why when using my turn signals I let it flash for an extra long time just to make sure I get their attention when changing lanes. I assume that their eyes are anywhere but on the road. Will be interesting to see crash trends over the next 20-25 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:32 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Caputh wrote:

Glad your ok Milty ! For JpD, having driven the Montreal-Toronto 401 many times, I too noticed that most every car (and semi) drive over the limit of 100 kph. I also noticed the big signs explaining that the fines for speeding start at 120 kph. So basically everyone drives at 119, feeling like rebels and still remaining relatively safe. It's a psychologically sound.

As for French Highways, yes they are very cool (expensive as fuck, but cool). Limit is 130kph but they give you a 7% floater. So you set the cruise to 140 and you're good. The only really dangerous highway in France is the A6/A7 going from Paris to the med coast. It's wall to wall trucks and loads of cars on six lanes. Before the big crackdown on speeding around 2000, we were going 160kph most of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 am 

Milton-Your driving habits are what was instilled in me in drivers training and probably reinforced by my parents - “Defensive Driving”. It’s always watching out for the other guy and knowing that somebody is going to do something wrong/dangerously/carelessly/drunkenly at some point. I don’t know if they even use that term anymore in driving schools.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
As for French Highways, yes they are very cool (expensive as fuck, but cool). Limit is 130kph but they give you a 7% floater. So you set the cruise to 140 and you're good. The only really dangerous highway in France is the A6/A7 going from Paris to the med coast. It's wall to wall trucks and loads of cars on six lanes. Before the big crackdown on speeding around 2000, we were going 160kph most of the time.

They did do me for driving 1 kmh too fast (after the floater was subtracted - speed limit of 110, on the freeway, in an urban area) last year in France though. It was 145 Euros! I try to stick to the speed limit, I think probably because I learned to drive when I was already in my 30s.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 am 

KUIII wrote:
Milton-Your driving habits are what was instilled in me in drivers training and probably reinforced by my parents - “Defensive Driving”. It’s always watching out for the other guy and knowing that somebody is going to do something wrong/dangerously/carelessly/drunkenly at some point. I don’t know if they even use that term anymore in driving schools.

Yeah me too... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:31 am 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Your strategy for avoiding trouble on the freeway is to outrun everybody. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am 

Less time driving = less opportunity for accidents.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:47 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Your strategy for avoiding trouble on the freeway is to outrun everybody. :wink:

LMFAO...I always say that gas peddle will get you out of more trouble than that break peddle ever will... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:28 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Got my official licence at 16. Got the "Defensive Driving course" by Purolator Ddelivery Service over a summer at 17. Driving 55 000 km per year for my work now.....no accidents in like forever...seen lots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Got my official licence at 16. Got the "Defensive Driving course" by Purolator Ddelivery Service over a summer at 17. Driving 55 000 km per year for my work now.....no accidents in like forever...seen lots.

Now that you two mention it, I've had to sit through my share of those safety films. Classic stuff produced in the 60s 70s and played on a noisy film projector.

Probably also a good reason why we really shouldn't have large groups of flying cars at least for another 200 years. Don't think we are ready to be responsible for an added vehicle axis "Sky traffic was a real bitch today!" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 pm 

wrote a punk rock song. Wanna hear it, hear it goes,

"1-2-3-
Johnny,
Johnny can suck on a rock.
Johnny,
can suck on a rock.
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck on a ROCK Johnny!

Johnny,
has been missing some teeth,
missing some teeth,
he's been missing some teeth,
for some time now.
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck that rock!

Johnny,
has some abdomen pain,
a terrible pain in his side,
and a butthole that aches.
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck on a rock!
And he don't know why.
Suck on a rock!
Can't explain the tides.
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck on a rock!"

that felt good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:45 pm 

Visited a rock and fossil shop today. After talking to the proprietor for a few moments, he asked if I was "into fluorescent minerals", with a flash of excitement in his eyes. I instantly said "of course" in response to his enthusiasm, having no idea what he was talking about. I was told to wait at the counter, some preparations had to be made, the man disappeared into the belly of the shop. Shortly the man comes back from around a different corner and beckons me over to a black curtain. We step inside the curtain to reveal a dark room with UV light, and one of the most spectacular displays of nature I've ever seen.
I found out about fluorescent minerals today! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Last edited by cory1984 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:44 pm 

I know,they're amazing! Pity the image doesn't work though...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:40 am 

BBP wrote:

Should be working now, not sure what happened there...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
BBP wrote:

Should be working now, not sure what happened there...

Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:53 pm 

A visit to the Gilmore Car Museum- One of the top 2 car museums in the U.S.

1948 Tucker-too far ahead of it's time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:26 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:
wrote a punk rock song.

Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck on a rock Johnny!
Suck that rock!

Gosh, I just can't imagine who that's about...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:14 pm 

hmmm...
i thought it was basically just about lipsticking it to the man!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:

A visit to the Gilmore Car Museum- One of the top 2 car museums in the U.S.

1948 Tucker-too far ahead of it's time

Very nice Milt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11042 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 438, 439, 440, 441, 442  Next