Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 473, 474, 475, 476, 477
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:59 pm 

Plook wrote:
Praise the lord I thought I was getting "Me Too'ed"... :mrgreen:

It's only a matter of time before those gender activists will ruin languages and burn Zappa's lyrics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:57 pm 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
Plook wrote:
Praise the lord I thought I was getting "Me Too'ed"... :mrgreen:

It's only a matter of time before those gender activists will ruin languages and burn Zappa's lyrics.

Sad, but true.....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:53 am 

I got into a car accident a few days ago. Nobody was hurt. I'm driving down the road heading for home.
A car in my left lane is stopped. I find that curious and slow down. Next thing I know I have a car turning
into me from uncoming trafffic. I floor the car to avoid getting hit. He still nails my rear passenger
quarter panel and knocks my rear bumper guard off.
The driver that hit me said the guy to my left waved for him to make a turn.
I don't have collision on my auto insurance. It's way too expensive as it it now.
So, I'm dealing with the other guy's insurance company. I can see this dragging
for a couple of months.

So, I go to an auto body shop. The owner tells me for him to replace the quarter panel
would be more than what my car is worth. (2012 Nissan Versa) He says what will probably
happen the other insurance company will write my car off as being totaled ans send me
a check for what the car is worth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:57 am 

MOOP wrote:
He says what will probably
happen the other insurance company will write my car off as being totaled ans send me
a check for what the car is worth.

I've been hit and hit some times in my life.
Nothing serious
(lucky I wasn't in my car when that kid totalled my car. I suspect he was texting when he crash my car from behind but I'll never know)
One thing is as sure as snow is white is that you never make a "good deal" with an auto insurance company.
You never get the money you know it's worth.
Well, good luck !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 am 

Sorry to hear that, Moop...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:52 pm 

My wife is president of the local bike club, so we have remaining clean up of our August big ride. Only had 100 participants, max is 300. I returned the bike club water jugs (2 gallon?) to the bottled water outfit, Culligan. The bike club storage and this place are equally far, but different directions. Turns out we get no credit for returned full sealed jugs. We could have kept the 6 jugs to the May ride. But I gave up at that point. Not my job. Next time, plan to keep them, as they expire after a year or two.

Also took a floor fan to Goodwill. We somehow end up with fans. people give them to us or we get them somehow free. And we never use any fans other than one visitor who uses it a couple of times a year. It's in the room. We have had as many as three fans in the garage to recycle.

Rode merely 3 miles by bike as I had yard work. May to Sep total will be some 950 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:38 pm 

After an extraordinary length of time we finally have the cave hooked up to "high speed" fibre.....

For around 11 years our landline would fail every 5 to 8 Months, always moisture in a box
located on the most exposed to the elements position on the property.....

The Telco would rather visit the cave every 5 to 8 Months than relocate the box, each visit
was covered by a $2.00 per Month line maintenance fee, the box being part of the line
meant the technicians visit cost us nothing, but time.....

Four years ago fibre came to town, the Telco laid the fibre, then capped data usage
on the existing copper line plans to force folks onto the fibre.....

Back then the cave data usage was low, but wtf sign me up, made the booking,
took the time off work, and awaited the Telco tech's arrival, never arrived.....
Couldn't find the cave "the address didn't exist".....
A week went by and then it was July.....

Around half a dozen landline failures later, NZ's Formula 1 broadcaster changed
from our cable provider to a streaming service and our in cave data usage soared
to almost double the data cap tripling the "phone" bill.....

Hey Telco how about that fibre.....Yet another failure to arrive, or follow up after
our complaints, I became accustomed to feeding my F1 habit with delayed coverage
through a free to air TV channel, reducing our data usage and expenditure.....

Three months ago the landline died, little Tommy Telco tech arrived to dutifully WD40
the box and oh no! eleven plus years of magic oil had finally fried the contents of our
obsolete copper line box, and it was now imperative that the Telco get the fibre installed
tout de suite, so they made an appointment, that I didn't show up for and the cavettes,
also extremely pissed over the whole debacle, didn't answer the door when little Tommy
Telco tech came calling.....

A couple of weeks passed, no landline was no loss as we all had our devices, and we we're
surfing off the back of the free community Wi Fi.....

A phone bill arrived, I gave the Indian call centre a buzz and disputed the charges,
as they were no longer providing us with a service, drew their attention to the cave's
extensive history of failures. The bill was cancelled a free new and improved modem
to accommodate fibre was on the way and would be installed within the week, excellent.....

The modem didn't arrive and was re-ordered as was the Telco tech.....
Radio silence until a couple of weeks into August when two modems arrived, one at the
coal face, and one at the cave.....

Hey Telco, how about that fibre.....
Appointment made and confirmed.....

Covid-19 oh baby now your such a drag, level 4 lockdown the day before the installation date.....

August came and went, then last Tuesday I spy little Tommy Telco tech in the local
supermarket car park, gave him a hell of a fright with my customary ghostly approach
and arranged for him to arrive between 8:00am and 9:00am Yesterday to hook us up.....

Tommy Telco tech duly arrived at 11:30am, asked if we had any suggestions regarding the
location of the new fibre box, was told exactly where he could stick it, which he did and
hey presto we're fibrized, still no landline though, that's got little Tommy Telco beat,
maybe this coming Monday.....

Yeah right.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 pm 

^ Good to hear you're finally connected :|

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:20 pm 

^^^And you sound so much clearer, the definition is amazing... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:20 pm 

Today we picked up a Smart Fortwo for my girlfriend's daughter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:57 pm 

^^^^^ Excellent! My_Name_Is_Elon, I dig the fins, wait a minute, where are the fins?.....^^^^^

So, Monday came and went, with the customary "how did we do?" e mail from the Telco.....
I'm pretty sure they don't read them, every interaction you have with the Telco,
these e mails arrive, I've left some extremely frank performance evaluations over
the last 11 years, with zero response, other than continued service failures,
maybe that is their response.....

This morning's first call of the day was to the Telco to arrange an appointment for
the technician to come and get the cave landline going. I couldn't seem to make
myself understood, so submitted to the twenty questions, I got about halfway through
and decided we didn't need a landline. I stopped the inquisition and asked to cancel
the landline. I was told that this was impossible, oh no no no, I couldn't cancel the
copper landline and retain the high speed fibre, or is that ultra high speed this week.
I hung up, the landline is not working, technically it is already disconnected.
If charged for the landline, I'll dispute the next bill.....
It's like déjà vu all over again.....
Maybe I can get free Netflix for a year or two to make up for their continued third
world service.....Or maybe a free voip phone wtf that is.....

note to self: google voip phone.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:37 am 

I am at my closest marsh, lots of birders. But nobody I know. Well, one guy slightly. Several people I see often make no public list. They know me, since I make lists. This is bearded guy past age 60 #2. Number 3 I also don't know the name of but he is a retired middle school science teacher.

It turned out bearded guys 2 and 3 are the same guy. His name is Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:15 am 

Tero wrote:
I am at my closest marsh, lots of birders. But nobody I know. Well, one guy slightly. Several people I see often make no public list. They know me, since I make lists. This is bearded guy past age 60 #2. Number 3 I also don't know the name of but he is a retired middle school science teacher.

It turned out bearded guys 2 and 3 are the same guy. His name is Paul.

Hopefully you will see a Kirtland’s Warbler... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:12 am 

That would take some travel. Best bird was a sparrow:
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bir ... es-sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:20 pm 

Tero wrote:
That would take some travel. Best bird was a sparrow:
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bir ... es-sparrow

Location, location, location... 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 473, 474, 475, 476, 477