Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424 ... 450  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32988
Location: Somewhere in time
Caputh wrote:
That picture doesn't look like BBP at all.

(Thanx KUII)



Take a few pounds off, make the hair salt & pepper, and the goatee grey and that would be me... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16564
BBP wrote:
I remember the days when I used to come here to unwind and talk about my day... now it's a place to lay back and watch the insults.


Do you know why Eindhoven is such a crappy town?

It's because....okay, I got nothing. It seems pretty nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12196
Location: EINDHOVEN
It's the 3rd ugliest city of The Netherlands of all the ones I've seen. The war with the Spanish and WW2 did a lot to wreck the town centre and 1960s godawful politics did the rest, when numerous monumental buildings were torn down to make place for roads that never came.

But it's my home and I love this city.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29979
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
BBP wrote:
It's the 3rd ugliest city of The Netherlands of all the ones I've seen. The war with the Spanish and WW2 did a lot to wreck the town centre and 1960s godawful politics did the rest, when numerous monumental buildings were torn down to make place for roads that never came.

But it's my home and I love this city.


Some nice pictures on bing.....

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that rake in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3685
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
So okay. Last night, I'm on FB and am looking around like usual and go to a link a friend sent....which lead to to another (which I shouldn't have gone to, I'm thinkin'), then as I'm reading this click bait site, I fall asleep. After I finally wake, get off both links and refresh the page. Click on notifications and can't connect. Can only "like" posts, and can't watch videos...Mental says it's my puter, even though I'm not too sure. Try email account, Twitter, and this here site---everything works. Go back to FB and there is a notice at log-in telling me an error occurred and to try again, I do so and notice pops up again. Trojan horse my way in and it doesn't fully load correctly and I can't even leave a comment. I've done a scan on my computer and everything is clear. Well, poo. Think it might have been staying on a site that might not have been the safest? I'll have to wait for my brother the computer whiz to see what's a-goin' on. Meh.

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29979
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Bugger! ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that rake in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12196
Location: EINDHOVEN
Good luck Dove!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32988
Location: Somewhere in time
Forward us the link... :mrgreen:

I'm sorry it was to easy, good luck I got nothing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:25 am
Posts: 3685
Location: SANTA MARIA,CA USA
Ha! S'okay, dude. :) Still no luck with FB, weird that every other site is fine. Asked my brother, but he kinda shrugged. Maybe if I slide him a twenty? I asked on a Sunday, and he refuses to do business on this day. Gawd won't be mad at you. :mrgreen:

_________________
One two, buckle my shoe!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 5260
Hey Arkay, I'm not angry. It may be merely a matter of different people's sense of priorities and, hence, an opinion.

In fact, went to the store today and purchased the new 2016 vinyl edition of Joe's Garage. It is an indie store where they make a sizable chunk of their money also selling used records. Love those people and want to support their business as distributors of the audio artifacts I enjoy in that format. But they sell new releases too. They also have in stock the older Feeding Monkies at Ma Maison on vinyl that I've been fingering since it came out. I just haven't prioritized that expenditure yet. I already have the ceedee that I purchased from barfko-swill when that was available there and multiple prior forms of Joe's Garage.

Granted, as distributors, they have less than even a passive role in the product's creation: they market a complete product delivered to them as licensed purveyors of that resellable product.* The process for these is simple. They look thru online lists to see what's new and what is likely to sell and make their choices and order them. When the items arrive they put sell-price stickers on the shrink wrap and put them in the racks, rotating them when they make that call. Not a lot of work. They do have to keep a full time position just to go thru all the used (non-new) items that have to be sorted and cleaned and identified, etc. But the people there who do that - and refine their retail skills whilst avoiding the pitfalls of cultural baggage regarding the perception of 'cool' and 'music' :| - are paid an hourly wage which ofttimes isn't much. An argument they can make is they do it because they love it.

Prior to this there are also vinyl record producers that make and get the data of the music (for that format) pressed onto the plastic. This is an active process rather than a mere passive distributional process. Some are the legit ones licensed to do it by the copyright holders. Others are not. But they are also people and it's easy to assume they are doing it because they love the music and want to see it out there in the market, and get paid a wage as well. When I was at my local indie record store I also noticed in the rack with the other zappa - both new and used, I might add - a shrink-wrapped glossy print vinyl copy of the 1975 10 01 Vancouver show, also on the market. I believe it is the 90 minute FM broadcast. I know this is not a ZFT release because I pay attention to these things. Others may not. Is this an ethical issue?

Really, I don't care. A point to this long response is to show there are many people, vendors and creators and consumers in the chain. Of course, people will make their own choices. Like you say, people certainly spend their money on far worse things. And that's a really great show. A digital flac version I have can sound fantastic, so I bet the tape on vinyl could be pretty great. It seems the zft has put a premium on releasing things that are not otherwise available: exclusive to the vault rather than those items found in decent quality out in the world somewhere. I have in the last twenty years kept up a rigor in not purchasing zappa bootlegs. I wanted to give my money to the zappa family for zappa music if I could. And there's been plenty of new zft product. Hard to keep up financially. For me. Again, other's mileage may vary. 'Free' in this context still means, 'no money'.

The legal split of the ZFT is sad and I don't like it. Will I as a result buy less ZFT product as it comes out? No. Because I love the music. Will I go see Dweezil when he comes around on tour and maybe buy some merch there, even if I might not listen to more than once or twice? Of course, because I want to see him continue working as a touring musician, if he wants. Will I continue to purchase items that come out of the ZFT, including select remasters that Joe Travers says are worthwhile? Yes, because I love the music and if Joe says it's good, to my ears, he has a track record I respect and can believe. Even if it's the UMG, which seems great so far.

Do I begrudge my buddy at the indie store for marking up the price (Of JG, FTMAMM, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, the UMG releases on cd, etc.) that I could get from another vendor in the market like amazon? No. The convenience of his store and the instant gratification of purchasing a product like a hardcopy vinyl version of music I know I already love, outweighs the coupla bucks I could have saved getting any of these things thru many of these (primarily) online retailers.

Do I begrudge the record presser who has taken an essentially uncopyrighted FM broadcast from 1975 and pressed it to vinyl for sale? A little tho I know people like the hardcopy vinyl. And the reason for this is because, you can also get it at no charge (without the sleeve and platter), but for the time of d/l'ing and using a torrent program, finding a broadband connection and waiting about ten minutes while you can go fetch another cup of coffee and make a PB&J sandwich. The price for that vinyl version is $19 on amazon, plus shipping and you wait some days for delivery. The indie store, again, marked that item up a couple bucks but is here, still actually less than the online vendor price since shipping is already paid.

Do I begrudge my buddy at the indie store for selling that uncopyrighted data in that format with a markup? No. On the chance there's some customer out there who might not know that show even exists, and might be delighted to hear it, and have come to the store, looked in the zappa section and, who might not care who gets paid for delivering that choice audio nugget in that format into their hands for the 'sacred act of bourgeois purchase'. Still, my buddy would say, 'That's a lot of 'If's''.

Do I begrudge the online vendor who is selling that 90 min Vancouver tape song by song at 89 cents a selection on an mp3 format? Quite a bit. Because they are profiting from distributing something they had no hand in creating, with no value added, that is also a demonstrably inferior, disintegrating sound quality to boot. Customers who go for those things just seem dumb if money is something those cutomers have to be mindful of. Fifteen songs at that price, for example is $13.35. I would rather spend that money on something else since I know I can spend fifteen minutes at a laptop and download it without infringing anybody's potential or existing copyright. Listen for free. Ethically. Or, 'Save fourteen dollars today..."

Some people indeed love handling the format, playing a record, shopping at a brick and mortar store, and shopping online. I don't deny that. I'm just sayin' people don't have to lose their money in order to hear that music. If they want. Will I buy that item? No. Because I already have in this instance what I love, for free: the music.

* The reason I know this is because they also opt into Record Store Day. The day the Rollo/Portland Improv 10" from the ZFT was announced, for this spring's RSD festivities, I called the owner and he said he'd already ordered it.

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7321
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Handed in all my papers to become a German citizen today - a day before May hands in the UK's notice to the EU. As this is Germany, I needed a lot of papers, but I organized my stuff beforehand and the guy dealing with my case was lovely. My papers were all strewn around my (secret) basement, but I managed to find them easily enough; my wife's papers (tax returns, mainly) were neatly ordered in files by her and... a number of them were missing. Still, the Czech(?) guy dealing with my case overlooked the gaps and it looks like I'm "in". I have to wait 3 months and will hopefully get my ID and citizenship before my UK passport expires in July

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32988
Location: Somewhere in time
Caputh wrote:
Handed in all my papers to become a German citizen today - a day before May hands in the UK's notice to the EU. As this is Germany, I needed a lot of papers, but I organized my stuff beforehand and the guy dealing with my case was lovely. My papers were all strewn around my (secret) basement, but I managed to find them easily enough; my wife's papers (tax returns, mainly) were neatly ordered in files by her and... a number of them were missing. Still, the Czech(?) guy dealing with my case overlooked the gaps and it looks like I'm "in". I have to wait 3 months and will hopefully get my ID and citizenship before my UK passport expires in July



They may draft to you... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17064
Location: The cosmos at large
Filled for a [Mother] of Invention...

Applied for a quarter million dollars for my green genes research...

:fingerscrossed:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32988
Location: Somewhere in time
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Filled for a [Mother] of Invention...

Applied for a quarter million dollars for my green genes research...

:fingerscrossed:


Good luck, my sister has been writing research grants for over 20 years, first as a Regent at Harvard and then her own business...maybe I can get you review for free... :idea:

BTW - I don't think she reads Spanish... :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12196
Location: EINDHOVEN
Good luck, Caputh and GG!

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17064
Location: The cosmos at large
Thanks, amigos! But, Plook, check again, we speak Portuguese. It is almost close enough, though...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7321
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Filled for a [Mother] of Invention...

Applied for a quarter million dollars for my green genes research...

:fingerscrossed:


Good luck! Who is your prospective donor?

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 32988
Location: Somewhere in time
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Thanks, amigos! But, Plook, check again, we speak Portuguese. It is almost close enough, though...



I knew I was screwing that up, the classic dumb ass American... :idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17064
Location: The cosmos at large
Caputh wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Filled for a [Mother] of Invention...

Applied for a quarter million dollars for my green genes research...

:fingerscrossed:


Good luck! Who is your prospective donor?

ZFT? :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:14 am
Posts: 5260
Congrats Alex and GG!!
{{hugs}} and glass clinks all around :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've had a remarkable series of dreams the last bunch of days. For years they were very similar. These last bunch of days they've been very different. And super positive. I feel like I could remake my whole life and do anything if I wanted to.

_________________
" . . . On the outside now . . ."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 17064
Location: The cosmos at large
^^
Nice! Thanks.

I must add, not a single cent is aimed at my pocket...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7321
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Oh, we knew that!

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 29979
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
Caputh wrote:
Handed in all my papers to become a German citizen today - a day before May hands in the UK's notice to the EU. As this is Germany, I needed a lot of papers, but I organized my stuff beforehand and the guy dealing with my case was lovely. My papers were all strewn around my (secret) basement, but I managed to find them easily enough; my wife's papers (tax returns, mainly) were neatly ordered in files by her and... a number of them were missing. Still, the Czech(?) guy dealing with my case overlooked the gaps and it looks like I'm "in". I have to wait 3 months and will hopefully get my ID and citizenship before my UK passport expires in July


Wow that's huge Caputh, slipping under the wire in broad daylight, severing the metaphorical umbilical cord with the Motherland and defecting to the Fatherland, it's like picking dad in the divorce and your trading in Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II for Chancellor Angela Merkel I to boot. It's a bold move to be sure, good luck Herr Caputh

Timing is everything :wink:

_________________
hey Punk, where you goin' with that rake in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 9140
For the first time in my life I was asked if I was a "Senior ". :( I qualified (I'm 55). 20% discount! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:56 am
Posts: 195
Just saw Snarky Puppy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424 ... 450  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group