Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:59 pm 

I offer this piece of advice to you all:<br><br>Learn to read Frank's body language and intonation when he says stuff. He was a true artist in that way, and some of you fellas take some of the things he's said out of context. Generally, what I refer to is this: you act like he said it in print, while he actually said it in a CONVERSATION. Usually FZ never seemed to think about what he said as being written in stone for posterity. Rather, he liked to convey certain ATTITUDES, FEELINGS, OR EYEBROWS in his words.<br><br>That said, I also think he never said anything stupid to my knowledge.<br><br>It is my belief that the exaltation of EUPHEMISTIC living (almost anyone who has thought of something as OFFENSIVE is guilty of this) in this world is due to<br>A: an attempt to gloss over any critical thinking in pursuit of selling you some other propaganda or $$$ otherwise<br>B: all kinds of personal embarrassment (silently agreed in this world to never be publicly addressed or acknowledged)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:29 pm 

Frank DIDN'T care if people did drugs if they wanted to. He never said that drugs didn't benefit people.<br><br>He chose not to, and he obviously fired musicians who couldn't perform their job because they were messed up however.<br><br>He also considered, rightly, that there are certain types of people who get into drugs for certain reasons, and maybe those people would benefit from altering their mind in other ways. The mind is a powerful thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:27 am 

[quote author=happez link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=75#83 date=05/27/05 at 18:04:35]<br><br>I do agree! You can't trust anyone. The people you can trust are to be counted on 1 hand. I loved his cynism. And the quote is a lifesaver.[/quote]<br><br>from a '76 interview:<br>"Yeah, I take a very cynical point of view, I think that being cynical is a positive value, I think that nobody should trust anybody else, I think that all people are assholes until proven different and I think that if you take that point of view, you will be disappointed less, in life." - FZ<br><br>Enlightenment  :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:15 am 

IIIIInteresting

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:05 pm 

What do y'think o'this?<br>"Well, I don't feel that any of the work I have done in the last 23 years has changed anything or anybody." - 1988 Interview

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:11 am 

[quote author=Klaatu link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=0#7 date=10/28/02 at 18:22:01]I don't think that the American public eductation system is entirely at fault for making "plastic robots" out of students.  It's not a good situation out there,  but you have a choice to educate yourself or not, whether or not you are in school.  <br><br>But I must say that since all of Frank and Gail's kids have left school at the minimum required age, at least he backed up his belief.  [/quote]<br><br>you helped my point here when i talk about the schools system. although kids in the us are getting stupider it's partrialy our fault for not putting the pressure on them. the kids are running the schools now because people are to affraid to take them on because of crap like abuse and the law. i don't agree with capitol punishment but sometimes you have to say no to people. or just smack them around a little.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:14 am 

[quote author=J.C.Greasy link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=75#79 date=04/14/05 at 13:27:23]Jayp-Who are you referring to Frank or Bill? Both died of cancer, not drugs.[/quote]<br><br>hicks didn't die of cancer. he was murdered by the world's oil comany's and governments for speaking the truth and enlightening people.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:49 pm 

[quote author=mokmoof link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=90#92 date=10/16/05 at 22:47:24]Speaking as an American student, our education system is complete shit.  It is indeed based on mediocrity, and when mediocrity is the ideal, moderate failure is generally considered close enough.<br><br>When people get upset about FZ telling kids to drop out of school, I think they're severely misinterpreting him.  He isn't deriding education; he's saying that schools are failing to educate and it is therefore one's responsibility to educate oneself.  And I for one could not agree more.<br><br>"If you want to get laid, go to college.  If you want an education, go to the library."      -FZ[/quote]<br><br><br>you could just go to the college library and kill two birds with one stone

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:58 pm 

[quote author=mokmoof link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=90#94 date=10/16/05 at 22:52:44]Totally!  And it'll only cost you $38,000 a year!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Wow, your library must have a really stiff cover charge just to pop in and read and check out some girls.<br><br>Image<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:39 am 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=90#95 date=10/16/05 at 22:58:45]<br><br>Wow, your library must have a really stiff cover charge just to pop in and read and check out some girls.<br><br>Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>it does and if you think that's bad try returning a book late

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:36 pm 

When he told himself that he would start smoking ciggers.  :'(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:36 pm 

I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this has been said or not (I know it's been touched on, though). I disagree with his assessment of the education system, to an extent. I do agree that it falls terribly short in terms of properly educating the general masses, and that at least through most of public school up to high school, your best bet for a real education on things of large significance is self-education. <br><br>But where I begin to disagree with Zappa is when it comes to college. My own college experience has been incredibly educational and helpful, and there is no possible way that I could do what I want to do without a college and graduate education (get my Ph.D in astrophysics). You can't teach yourself all the intricacies and complex concepts of physics just by going to a library and reading books. <br><br>Sure, there is a lot that you learn in college that is useless, but I've found that most of what I've learned here, even the stuff that I thought was worthless, has proven to be very useful, in fact. And I don't, even for a minute, feel like college or any form of formal education has made me into a boring, standard zombie of society, or anything unlike what I was for my entire life before entering college. Particular aspects of myself are more disciplined and I have stronger abilities now, but I sure haven't lost my spirit of individuality or uniqueness. Hell, an important aspect of doing physics (and any form of problem solving, really) is creativity and thinking outside of the box. I think that much is obvious. And you can't be taught creativity or how to think outside of the box. These are just traits that must naturally develop and lend themselves to one becoming something in this field.  <br><br>Now just because I disagree with Zappa doesn't mean I think his opinion on the matter is just uninformed. It's likely he'd had bad experiences with people from college. There are many, many, many people who go to college and after being there for a year or two think they are marvelous experts on life and have completely lost who they once were... Surely Zappa had seen something like this, or a large number of idiots coming from college. And of course I've seen them as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:08 pm 

I have spent my life on self education but i really wish I would have gone to college or even finished high school for that matter,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:28 pm 

There's a quote from the Patrick White novel Solid Mandala and I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember it exactly. This is from one of the brothers who didn't like school: "I've forgotten everything I was ever taught but I remember everything I ever learned". This is a very clever and amusing statement but you can learn things in school. There are good teachers and they can save you a lot of time but the ultimate goal for anyone I believe is to become a self sufficient learner. It doesn't happen overnight. And, unfortunately, those little pieces of paper called qualifications are quite valuable and non transferrable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next