Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:35 pm 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=15#16 date=11/04/02 at 12:05:09]<br>Zappa concluded that the dangers of smoking (as opposed to, say, breathing city air) were exaggerated by political anti-tobacco lobbies and other groups, thanks to their financially motivated agendas. He also felt that the dangers of secondhand smoke were mythical.<br><br>I agree with him.<br><br>He considered his cigarettes to be "food." Concerning pot, well...that makes you gradually stupider and stupider. Cigarettes don't. I don't think there's any confusion about Frank's championing of the individual brain. So of course he was anti-pot. It makes sense to not like things that make you stupid.<br><br><br>CF<br>[/quote]<br><br>On second thought, I take issue with his statements regarding the dangers of smoking.<br><br>Though there is legitimate debate regarding the bias of studies performed to show the effects of long term smoking, I have also known several medical professionals throughout my life (mostly nurses) who will quickly offer their conventional wisdom on the matter:  Practically all their lung and kidney cancer patients were regular smokers, as well as the non-cancer patients suffering from COPD (Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, which is a grouping of ailments believed to be related to smoking such as emphysema.)<br><br>Of course there are several environmental factors to consider in anyone's case, but the most noticeable thing about smoking is that people tend to SMOKE A LOT if they smoke at all; obviously the addiction to nicotene is the reason for this abuse.  If you consume a pack a day, you are pumping a lot of stuff into your body - it's as simple as that.  I have always believed that smoking moderately could prove to be a relatively safe habit, but how to define 'moderate' consumption of cigarettes is key; do you know anyone who regularly smokes 2 cigarettes a day?<br><br>BF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:43 pm 

I'd like to add that I do not include secondhand smoke into the above commentary, because I agree that it's at best a far-fetched theory.  I suppose some researcher will one day do a study of 1,000 cocktail waitresses who never smoked but worked in smoky conditions all their lives?  We'll see how they gwine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:28 pm 

[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=30#30 date=11/04/02 at 15:48:26]It's sad how many of you believe the propaganda. It's really, really sad.<br><br>I'm vastly outnumbered here (mainly because I like to use my own head and my own experience instead of listening to quacks with agendas), so I'll butt out. (Didja like the pun?)<br><br>I'll conclude that it must certainly be a personal thing: I love the smell of smoke (it makes me comfy), I love the taste of cigarettes (I'm not a stressed-out guy either), I love to smoke so much that I've never even tried to quit, and all of my relatives, back to my great grandfather, have been incessant smokers, although no disease, emphysema or cancer runs in my family. My great grandpa smoked 2 packs a day, and died a few months ago at the age of 104.<br><br>(You know how stubborn we Italians can be.)<br><br>So it's not bad in general. It depends on how weak your physiology is. Perhaps more intensive genetic-type studies should be done, before people write off ALL smokers as "people who are killing themselves." I'm sick of that buzzword legislation. It's a generalization and it's inaccurate.<br><br>Maybe it's just a natural selection thing. Some people just aren't cut out to withstand cigarettes or -- here's the biggie -- air/water pollution (the REAL cause of cancer, kidney disease, etc.).<br><br>I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day, so yes, it IS possible.<br><br><br>CF<br><br>.[/quote]<br><br>Really, I'm not trying to tow the line of Junk Science on this.  I truly believe the biggest harm from cigarette consumption is abuse, not just use. (your glorious great-grandpa aside though - I will wager his story is a rare one among those who smoke that much, all the more reason to tip my hat to Another Great Italian!)  Smoking 3-4 cigs a day is probably not a big deal in the long run man, so I fully support your love and defence of your specific habit.  But you are also rare in this respect - the average smoker is a pack a day I believe (last I saw a stat anyway, but also judging from my many smoker friends.)  That is a huge difference over time.<br><br>My spew is not purposed to diminish air and water pollution as causes for disease either.  And yes there may be some genetic-typing things which science should consider.  But puhleeze let's get something straight - cigarette smoke is not harmless, in fact it could quite possibly be, just maybe, the biggest factor in the user's later life when talking about risk of disease.  Again, this is based mostly on what nurses report from the field all over the world - we are not talking about 'quacks', these are the people who actually care for sick people and see this shit every day.<br><br>So my advice is, if you smoke:  keep it down and you will probably live a much longer and happier (i.e. painful disease-free) life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:45 pm 

What's most unfortunate about this whole debate is how the science/media slandering has divided us into these two groups:  It's a Killer vs. It's Harmless.  Until there is more honest and thorough research we may never know any fragment of truth about the dangers of smoking.  We are stuck with our own experiences, which vary in every which way possible.<br><br>Regardless of who's right or wrong though, I do detest the judgements against "Big Tobacco."  Fucking tort lawyers are the only winners in these things folks, and maybe some old coot in Florida on a respirator.  I think it's disgusting, and goes against the most basic Law Of Man (which has completely disappeared from our modern world):  Caveat Emptor.<br><br>BF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:01 pm 

I agree, it is hard to gather conclusive evidence of the effects of smoking on health because there are so many other influential factors, like genetic make-up. Indeed, some people do smoke their entire life and get to be a 100 years old. However, I don't think you can easily generalize those personal experiences. William S. Burroughs was a heavy drug user for almost his entire life and still lived to be 83 years old, but I don't suppose a drug addiction is harmless because of that one example.<br><br>Anyway, like I said: I think everyone should decide for themselves. I do detest people sueing the tobacco industry for something that eventually was their own choice. <br><br>Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:42 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=30#36 date=11/04/02 at 17:24:11]<br><br>I read a book that Burroughs wrote called 'Junky' based on his own herion addictions etc. He strongly believed that herion halted and drastically slowed the aging process, of course he gives more details which I can't remember BUT it's in there and he also wrote that people who abuse herion usually look a lot younger then what they usually are, A LOT younger. <br><br>Anyway, interesting theory there. Perhaps, they look younger BUT they generally live MUCH shorter lives... <br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>LOL....sure never helped Keith Richards maintain a youthful appearance.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:07 pm 

[quote author=MrBickford link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=30#38 date=11/04/02 at 17:55:57]<br><br>I don't know Richards history with regard to herion. I do remember him getting arrested in Canada way way back in the seventies with it in his posession (plus the Prime Minister's wife was in his the hotel room too!!!) and I've heard that he stopped using it after that major incident. He was going to be put away for a long long time BUT somehow was offered to perform a HUGE charity-type gig by the Canadian government instead, the Stones did it and Keith was let go, talk about a slap on the wrist or what, even Keith was amazed and felt he got off the hook easily.  Anyway, he smokes like a goddamn chimney too doesn't he...[/quote]<br><br>Yup, smokes like a chimmney, drinks like a fish (the hard stuff), did (hell maybe still does) almost every drug in the book with Coke being a particular favorite, and was a heroin addict for about ten years till the bust threatened his musical continuity. The man should have been dead so many times his body just said screw it I'm going ahead and decomposing anyway. He's the heart and soul of the Stones but these days VERY hard on the eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:24 am 

ooh, have been absent for a few days... but, CF,<br>[quote author=Chris_Federico link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=30#30 date=11/04/02 at 15:48:26]It's sad how many of you believe the propaganda. It's really, really sad.<br><br>I'm vastly outnumbered here (mainly because I like to use my own head and my own experience instead of listening to quacks with agendas), so I'll butt out. (Didja like the pun?)<br><br>I'll conclude that it must certainly be a personal thing: I love the smell of smoke (it makes me comfy), I love the taste of cigarettes (I'm not a stressed-out guy either), I love to smoke so much that I've never even tried to quit, and all of my relatives, back to my great grandfather, have been incessant smokers, although no disease, emphysema or cancer runs in my family. My great grandpa smoked 2 packs a day, and died a few months ago at the age of 104.<br><br>(You know how stubborn we Italians can be.)<br><br>So it's not bad in general. It depends on how weak your physiology is. Perhaps more intensive genetic-type studies should be done, before people write off ALL smokers as "people who are killing themselves." I'm sick of that buzzword legislation. It's a generalization and it's inaccurate.<br><br>Maybe it's just a natural selection thing. Some people just aren't cut out to withstand cigarettes or -- here's the biggie -- air/water pollution (the REAL cause of cancer, kidney disease, etc.).<br><br>I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day, so yes, it IS possible.<br><br><br>CF<br><br>.[/quote]<br><br>subscription: ME!<br>I smoke for 12 years now, never really wanted to quit.<br>It`s true, ex-smokers are hard to stand. A good idea to suggest them being jealous! ;D<br>Back to FZ: of course you can say: if he had not smoked, he would still be with us. But I dont think so. My granny died of cancer without smoking, my dad passed just like that - another non smoker. An uncle of mine was 95 when he died. He smoked a lot all his life up to the end - so, he could have been 100? - blahblah!<br> <br>Smoke DOES contain substances that are not healthy or meant to enter the human body. SO WHAT? Concerning health, cigarette smoke is the smallest problem on earth, you bet! <br>Here in germany they are slowly getting paranoid. There already are some railway stations where smiking is not allowed at all! I call this an almost fascist law! You cannot pollute a station since it is open air! It cuts my personal freedom, it`s propaganda. On the other hand taxes for tobacco rise and rise - they want US smokers to pay for their shitty political mistakes and mismanagement! <br>>:( >:( >:( <br><br>Right, I calm down...<br><br>This topic started with the question about comments FZ made and is now about quotes FZ did NOT make... funny. ;D<br>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:02 am 

I'm not anti-smoking but I've never smoked myself (well, i've smoked a couple of tobaccos some time ago). <br>The worst thing about smoking is the smell. Not actually the smoke, I actually think it smells quite nice but the smoker himself. Most smokers smell exactly like shit, or even worse!! Smoking is bad for your health to some extent, but I can't say how bad in reality.<br><br>Anyway! this thread is about Zappa's stupidest comments!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:36 pm 

well, back to the original topic<br><br>I think the group consenses (sp?) might be right when they say that FZ may never have said anything that wasn't stupid, at least publicly. <br>However, he still was human and could be quite an ass-hole he has said some very derogatory demeaning comments about every type thought, establishment, group and religion but at least it was funny as hell!!! I mean during Brown Shoes, I'm laughing hysterically/but nervously. And everyone who has listen to Bobby Brown Goes Down always let's out a few chuckles and, "sick......" I mean it's all satire, he wasn't totally serious and probably didn't consider the offended's feelings but that's really what satire is.<br>I will admit that he did say some wrong, hurtful unfair things (Ray Collins being an acid burn't out, ridiculing fans over their preference to original WOIFTM/Cruisin with Ruben mixes and the Illionis Enema Bandit) but he always backed it up with facts or humor and that's probably what offends people.<br><br>oh yeah, my dad smokes like a chimney, my aunt moved in four years ago, another carton's smoked a week, they're lungs are fine, two years ago I doctor said I developed bronchotis  :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:05 am 

[quote author=Mij link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=15#15 date=11/03/02 at 20:46:11]He never said that cigarettes were dangerous and he should have. [/quote]<br><br>I may be wrong, but I think he said something like :<br><br>"Kids, don't start smoking, it'll kill ya."<br><br>Can't remember where I saw that...<br>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:55 am 

[quote author=Tony link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=45#47 date=01/07/03 at 04:05:09]<br><br>I may be wrong, but I think he said something like :<br><br>"Kids, don't start smoking, it'll kill ya."<br><br>Can't remember where I saw that...<br>[/quote]<br><br>It could help remembering it. But did he mean it as a joke, or was he serious, if he ever said so in the first place.<br>Anyway, we don't need Frank's advice to realize that cigarettes is cancer forming...  8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:07 pm 

in addition to my permanant wad of chewing tobacco, y'all , i smoke numerous roll-ups containing golden virginia . apparently though , marlborough fags (- fags in uk = cigarettes in us ) where spoecially formulated to be as addictive as possible, they went from product launch to having a huge share of the market really fast. its said smoking em is like freebaseing nicotine + the chemicals they put in em.<br><br>zappa said he regarded cigarettes as food not drugs.<br><br>also when he had to quit once due to an infection he said he could smell and taste stuff again - he didnt like the way the world smelt / things tasted.<br><br>need a fag - gimme 5,<br><br>mungo<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:39 pm 

[quote author=Klaatu link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=0#7 date=10/28/02 at 18:22:01]I don't think that the American public eductation system is entirely at fault for making "plastic robots" out of students.  It's not a good situation out there,  but you have a choice to educate yourself or not, whether or not you are in school.  <br><br>But I must say that since all of Frank and Gail's kids have left school at the minimum required age, at least he backed up his belief.  [/quote]<br><br><br>Agreed, you get back what you put into it. I spent a good portion of my high school years cutting classes to go to the library, or to the isolated practice rooms in the music department, with the hope that I might use these wonderful resources in a more productive manner than the standard teenage american itinerary might allow. <br><br>I never made good grades, I barely made graduation, and I had a pretty good time picking up a few things that might yet prove useful. Shit, with these credentials (and a few snappy, hijacked catch phrases), I could be the next presidential insertion!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:20 pm 

Quote:
[The Very Big Stupid is a thing which breeds by eating The Future. Have you seen it? It sometimes disguises itself as a good-looking quarterly bottom line, derived by closing the R&D department.
<br><br>
Quote:
I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow...
<br><br>
Quote:
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe....<br><br>Some Scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:50 am 

Quote:
But encouraging people to drop out of school is kinda dumb
<br><br>Nope it isn't. I'm ashamed to be a part of today's society. School, military, laws and censorship is all that is today, i'm ashamed to be a human.<br><br>SCHOOL IS TORTURE ON CHILDREN (I KNOW THAT FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE), HEY KIDS, DROP OUT OF SCHOOL AND START A ROCK AND ROLL BAND AND HAVE SOME FUN IN YOUR LIFE BEFORE YOU DIE AND ROT AWAY.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:46 am 

[quote author=Mr_Green_Genes link=board=quotes;num=1035310457;start=0#12 date=11/03/02 at 07:27:42]...I think he was roundly wrong in stating that AIDS was a government olanned desease.[/quote]<br><br>On a "Tonight Show" episode, noted scientific authority Joan Rivers declares that AIDS originated with African Green Monkeys and crossed the species barrier to humans. <br><br>"Oh, yeah?" Zappa asks. "Who fucked the monkey?"<br><br><br>INTERVIEWERS: On that album Broadway the Hard Way there is one song called Promiscuous. Can You tell the background to that song?<br><br>FZ: Well, at the time we had this guy named Everett Koop who was a surgeon general in the United States and...You know he was one of these people who was telling the US public that the AIDS epidemic started because a native in east Africa was skinning a green monkey and maybe he cut his finger while he was taking the skin off this monkey to eat it and the green monkey had the AIDS virius and that's how it was transmitted to the human population. And somehow this native who cut his finger skinning the green monkey manage to transmitt this to 700 hundred people who died all at the same time in New York in November. <br><br>I mean, it just doesn't make sense okey. There's never been a situation other than Legioners Disease where large number of people die all at the same time in certain locations. It doesn't rise the question of biological warfare. And the Unites States government has in the past conducted biological warfare experiments on civilian population.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next