Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is this shit?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:31 pm 

[quote author=Underwoods Son link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=45#45 date=01/19/05 at 18:42:18]<br><br>*vomits*[/quote]<br>Man your an idiot.  ::)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:33 pm 

[quote author=Underwoods Son link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=45#46 date=01/19/05 at 18:45:46]<br><br><br>Yes!!<br><br>Thank you, Disco Boy. You are 100% correct.<br>Noomies, FZ was not sexist or homophobic!!!<br>jayzuhs!! >:(<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>[quote author=Underwoods Son link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=45#53 date=01/19/05 at 20:18:58]You have no idea what the fuck youre talking about >:([/quote]<br>God, your putting forth a real strong argument too, Einstein.  ::)<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:25 am 

;D ;D ;DHee, hee...I love "The Poodle Lecture" ;D ;D ;D<br><br>                                               I have'nt weighed in on this because you manly men are just so gosh-darn entertaining, what with  yer lil "opinions" an' all. :) I keed!  Anyhoo, I agree with the fact that Frank was holding up a mirror to both sexes, "You're ALL acting like fools!" There were also instances where lyrics were character-driven, and for the most part had no basis in fact. And too were the songs in which he took real-life sit-chee-ations (whether they happened to him or something that happened to a band member) and went with that, since truth is stranger than fiction. I agree with something Herr Doktor Noomies said, he was a product (as we all are) of his environment and his time. Raised an ITALIAN CATHOLIC is gonna have an influence in the very least. He was also raised in the time of "children should be seen and not heard" and "the woman's place is in the home". Not neccessarily true these days, but there are millions of women who are beyond happy being Mom and caregiver even now. As for Swifty's idea that Feminism had anything to do with the "Oh, I don't even cook!" line many women spout....maaaaaaybe. But, often than not, they are like yours truely----LAZY BUMS. I'm at least honest about it, I have cooked in the past, but I don't feel a great need to do so. Having said that, I think so-called "feminism" has freed up many men to cook and not feel shame about it. <br>                                              Slightly off subject. Do I feel Frank was sexist or homophobic? Well, there did seem to be a feeling in some of his lyrics...don't know exactly how to put this in words....he enjoyed if women were sexual beings, but if you did to him what he was going to do to you (cheat on him, let's say), well, you are going down. Your Mouth is a good example. True, he was not really saying he would use a shotgun on a woman, but we've been in the situation of being so pissed at someone, that you might have that kind of fantasy. What I'm trying to say, and failing miserably at, is he had a bit of a double standard when it came to women and sex. It's okay for a guy to have sex with any number of women whilst on the road, but if  a woman did the same, she was  a Crew Slut. Of caourse, back in the 60's and even in part of the 70's, he still thought that groupies got a bad rap. What happened in the meantime? Were they getting younger and not as interested? Dunno, was'nt there.<br>                                                      Frank as a homophobe....that is pretty easy to point out. He had used the word "faggot" in at least one interview...as a matter of fact, it's in No Commercial Potential. it was not used in a nice way, either. Then there is the case of He's So Gay---this I believe is Frank looking on at what he perceives to be "behavior"...and "behavior" that was at least 5-10 years out-of-date. He then went on to mention in very nice terms Rep. Barney Frank...which I thought to be a big leap for him. Maybe having daughters who might've been friends with gay men (I've always thought Moon to be gay-friendly) changed his mind. And time will change your mind as well, for better or for worse.<br>                                                Yoko Ono, btw, did not break up The Beatles. They were already on their way. As a matter of fact, it was Paul McCartney (No, not Linda....and I agree, not a geat singer .yeesh.) Lumpy, I love ya, but that "And a JAPANESE one at that" line is just plain mean and yeah, I'm gonna throw it out there, racist. I don't know what era you grew up in, or whether your Dad was in WWII(The Big One), but I just could'nt let that lie. There, now you've heard from me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:33 am 

[quote author=CloudStrifeXIII link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=30#42 date=01/19/05 at 15:16:57]maybe he was, maybe he wasn't?  Who cares?  Just enjoy the music and the fact that we have had the opportunity to be fans of such a great talent.  Sure, there are some questionable things in the lyrics, but I, for one, could care less for them...[/quote]<br><br>I agree.  To me, the music is the main thing and the lyrics are secondary.  Frank's music could've been all instrumental and it still would have been amazing.  <br><br>I know one thing, Frank's lyrics are nothing compared to today's lyrics about pimps, ho's, abuse, rape etc.<br><br><br>

They never won't

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:18 pm 

The only thing I really wanted to say and was delayed in so doing is that Frank delighted in pointing out stupid (or weird) behavior wherever it existed, reporting on it  in as factual a way as he could.  Sometimes he couldn't resist putting his own twist on it or, or expressing an opinion on it.  Which was sometimes self-serving, sometimes not.  But most of the time, the decision as to whether what was going on in the lyrics was a good idea or poor was left up to the listener.  I suppose he may have hoped that the truth was self-evident.    It very rarely is.  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:07 pm 

[quote author=Underwoods Son link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=60#70 date=01/20/05 at 16:50:56]<br><br>Have fun flipping out over a joke where I wasnt really meaning to insult the Captain anyway:)<br><br>[/quote]<br>Yeah, man...Im totaly freakin out...fuck how will I sleep... ::)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:43 pm 
Banned

[center][quote author=edyrukidng link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=0#4 date=01/15/05 at 13:08:19]Just  another  ASSHOLE's  Opinion....[/quote]<br><br>Here's another idiot's "opinion" (actually, more like a rant to get people pissed off):<br><br>http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0953261/board/nest/14943473?d=15059008<br><br>Image<br>^^ and here are all of the usernames of this person.<br><br>Oh, what stupidity. What a SCUM BAG.[/center]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:43 pm 

[quote author=Underwoods Son link=board=quotes;num=1105786629;start=60#73 date=01/20/05 at 17:51:52]<br><br>Damn, I dunno man...perhaps a pill of some sort ??? :o ;)[/quote]<br>I'll reply to this later...I'm a bit tired...I just woke up see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next