Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Music Censorship
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm 

“Well let’s say you’re a religious fanatic. Some of the religious fanatics like the idea of censorship because they think it will help them to make the world a more Christian place in which to live. However, once the machinery for controlling what people have to say and what they think has been put in place, you never can tell. Another president might get in there and they can use that machinery against you.

I prefer a society where you can hear all different points of view and make up your own mind. And I don’t think words hurt you and I don’t think that words will make you go to hell. I think that people who have religious concerns, which are at the bottom of a lot of these things, are welcome to their concerns, but their concerns should not be converted into legislation, because as far as I’m concerned, the First Amendment forbids that.”

– Frank Zappa on music censorship, 1985

I was lucky enough to have been able to sit down for a video interview with Frank in 1985. This interview was ultimately not utilized for programming at the time, but has become the backbone for a new documentary currently in production. (Link below) Frank really knew what was at stake for all musicians against the PMRC. He selflessly fought hard even though his own music at the time would not have been affected by any of the proposed PMRC actions.

Post subject: Re: Music Censorship
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 pm 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/do ... nk%20zappa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:18 pm 

DontStoptheRock wrote:
once the machinery for controlling what people have to say and what they think has been put in place, you never can tell.

For example, a hologram. A hologram of FZ is a way to control what FZ had to say. A way to reduce his message. Or have it reflect what the folks selling you tickets want it to reflect. A hologram is like a puppet.

Same for the contents of the vault. Picking, choosing and releasing items from the vault is a way of controlling what FZ had to say.

Anyway, 1985 was a long, long time ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:37 pm 

^Thank you Captain Obvious :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
... Picking, choosing and releasing items from the vault is a way of controlling what FZ had to say. Anyway, 1985 was a long, long time ago.

Precisely, Downer, I agree. FZ lived a long long time ago, which is why its that much more important to continue telling his story, especially from footage never released to the public.

I am also really sorry to see that you feel Frank's legacy against music censorship is a deceitful telling resulting from selective picking and choosing of his words. I highly recommend watching his statement during the US Senate Hearing in 1985 (link below). Not only is it right on point but very entertaining to watch and sheds very important light on the Blank Tape Tax being pushed through legislation at the same time. Enjoy!

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4537011/ ... ng&start=0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:47 pm 

“Originally, the stuff that became called 'Rock and Roll' [had been] called 'Rhythm and Blues' and before that was called 'Race Music', and the early complaints about Rock and Roll affecting the youth of our nation were all racially oriented.”

– Frank Zappa on early rock music censorship, 1985

Frank also references Anti-Negro Music leaflets (https://www.instagram.com/p/BqqR7aqhbXr/) that were spread all throughout America during the '40s. This was the first forms of Rock Censorship in America.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 pm 

The genius of it was when they got the artists to CENSOR THEMSELVES. All of these bands conforming to the mediocre standards set by radio in their attempts at getting airplay, or to please their record company. Zappa touches upon this in Tinseltown Rebellion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:22 pm 

Today many "rock" musicians happily censor themselves by playing in tribute bands. They don't even bother creating! They accept adulation for copying someone else. How's that for self-censorship? Do nothing but redo stuff that was popular a long time ago. Like a Xerox time machine. With videos of dead composers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:15 pm 

You are trying to limit creativity Downer, your the Censor!!!... :smoke:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 pm 

^ I'm limiting creativity by encouraging creativity? Is that about right?

It's probably your dream to end up a hologram. Forgive me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 pm 

coevad wrote:
^Thank you Captain Obvious :mrgreen:

You must admit there's a point where playing those great Cliff Williams lines over and over again becomes hollow and you're just bullshitting the audience and maybe even yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:18 am 

Plook wrote:
You are trying to limit creativity Downer, your the Censor!!!... :smoke:

creativity = echoing?