Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 am 

Didn't know where this thread should go but nonetheless....In 2019 it'll be brought up again

Has anyone been able to dredge up a quote by FZ (or maybe the rest of the Zappa family) of what happened in Laurel Canyon only 6.5 miles from his house, August 8/9 1969 as a result of the Tate/Lobianca murders; aka "The Manson Family murders." He was out of the state touring somewhere (Wisconsin?) when all that went down. I've read that it shook the entire country, to say nothing of the immediate residents of the canyon that such a violent crime could take place in such a relaxed community where of course people didn't lock their doors. :P

Gail was just two months away from having Dweezil and already had young Moon running around the house. That made me think of Sharon Tate's baby who would've now been 48 had it not been murdered through that home invasion. Since FZ wasn't about to move, I would think that would be the start of redesigning & upgrading home security.

Found this and it got me thinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXHMwK4HYKw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 pm 

"Even Bob Dylan came calling one winter night (wearing no coat, with his shirt wide open) with demo tapes (for what became Infidels), looking for Zappa to produce. Zappa didn't recognize Dylan by sight or voice and sent a bodyguard to confirm that it wasn't Charles Manson."

Sounds like he had some protection.