Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:05 pm 

Perhaps somone possessing the following:

A. An encyclopediac knowlege of Frank's musical cannon,
B. An encyclopedic knowledge of the books and articles written about Frank's work.
C. The ability to write well,
D. Knowledge of Wikipedia's rules for acceptable posting (including the citation of third party written references) and
E. A wikipedia account

would like to add a incisive and concise paragraph under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant-garde_music.

Nowhere is Frank mentioned on that page; however, under so-called avant-gard rock, we have the following:

Quote:
Rock artists who have incorporated avant-garde elements into their music include Roxy Music, Captain Beefheart, the Velvet Underground, and The Residents. The New York Times and writer David Toop characterized the mid-1960s work of Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson as "avant-garde pop." During the late 1970s, post-punk artists rejected traditional rock sensibilities in favor of an avant-garde aesthetic. The Star Tribune's Michael Anthony names performance artist Laurie Anderson the "creator of avant-pop music". Other artists described "avant-pop" include singers Grace Jones, Björk, and Róisín Murphy.

Had FZ just been omitted for the classical section wouldn't have been too surprising, but to be omitted him in favor of the artists listed seems like an intentional omission (or a challenge) to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:17 pm 

If you click on the Experimental rock link, you'll see that Frank Zappa is mentioned and that mention is linked to a separate Wikipedia page about him. Also, on the page about Experimental pop, which may not be an appropriate label for FZ, but there is a line "As the dominant format of pop music transitioned from singles to albums" which has a footnote where he is appropriately mentioned. I think the writers so far are aware of FZ and he has been given quite a bit of space on Wikipedia.

None the less, I think he should be mentioned in the context of Avant-garde music given that he was chosen to be one of the four featured composers at the Frankfurt Festival in 1992 along with John Cage, Karlheinz Stockhausen and Alexander Knaifel. There is a tonne of material about FZ on Wikipedia, but you're mostly, only going to discover that if you're looking for it. I guess that being mentioned elsewhere in a more general context would enable people who don't know about him to discover his work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:25 am 

Hi, welcome to the forum, and thanks for such thoughtful attitude. I suggest, meanwhile, you edit the above paragraph and insert Frank's name between CB and Velvet Underground (for some bizarre reason). You don't even need an account (normally), but they will register and make public your IP.

More on Zappapedia:http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7714