Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:47 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
A tractor-trailer carrying syrup flapjackknifed around 1 p.m. on the Blue Route ramp to Route 23 in West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.

repaired it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:41 am 

KURT COBAIN's Hair Is Up For Auction

May 6, 2021
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/kurt-cobains-hair-is-up-for-auction/

Six strands of Kurt Cobain's hair are being auctioned as part of Iconic Auctions' "The Amazing Music Auction", which also includes personally owned, staged-used or signed musical memorabilia from Cobain and NIRVANA, as well as THE BEATLES, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, LED ZEPPELIN and more. Bidding opens today, May 6, at 8 p.m. EDT / 5:00 p.m. PDT.

Regarding how Cobain's hair ended up in its possession, Iconic Auctions says: "This one-of-a-kind artifact is entirely fresh-to-market and is accompanied by an impeccable lineage of provenance including photos of Kurt posing with the woman who cut this hair, scissors in hand, and a fantastic shot of the hair actually being cut! The lucky friend who trimmed the NIRVANA front man's iconic blond locks was an early confidant, Tessa Osbourne, who cut his hair in 1989 — well prior to his 'Nevermind' breakthrough — while on the 'Bleach' tour. Tessa presented the original lock to Seattle artist Nicole DePolo as a heartfelt gift after Kurt's passing, and she provided the original bag with handwritten provenance note, '29/10/89: Tess cut Kurt's hair in Birmingham, England, 27 Holy Rd., Handsworth, Birmingham B202BU.'"

A two-page provenance affidavit signed by DePolo about Cobain's hair reads in part: "Tessa had known Kurt back in England, and they had hung out during the 'Bleach' Tour. NIRVANA had broken in England first, and she must have had a sense that Kurt would become a musical force. When it came to Kurt, Tessa was kind of what like Astrid Kirchherr had been to THE BEATLES — the woman who had given him his iconic haircut. She even had a series of pictures to prove it: a snapshot of her and Kurt with long straggly hair while she held a pair of scissors high, then a shot of the scissors going through about 7" of hair. The rest was history. Kurt was known for his bleached blond pageboy, and she'd given him his first one back in October of 1989, just before his image began to circulate throughout the world."

A portion of proceeds from the auction will benefit Live Nation's Crew Nation, a global relief fund for helping live music crew workers negatively impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

After launching Crew Nation more than a year ago, Live Nation contributed an initial $5 million donation to help support concert crews around the world. It would then match the next $5 million given by artists, fans and employees dollar for dollar. It has since far exceeded that initial goal by raising $18 million in a global effort that has aided approximately 15,000 crew members in over 40 countries and across all 50 states.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:02 am 

The Strand magazine, August 1899

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 6:20 am 

Missing man found dead in dinosaur statue:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... aur-statue

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:53 am 

A Lost Italian Village Just Emerged After 70 Years Under Water
The village of Curon was flooded by Lake Resia in 1950, and hasn't been seen since.

By Megan Schaltegger
Published on 5/20/2021 at 3:58 PM

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/curon-italian-village-emerged-70-years-under-water

In 1950, the Italian village of Curon was entirely submerged by Lake Resia, a 2.5-square-mile artificial lake.

That's exactly where it has remained for over seven decades—through spring, summer, fall, and freezing winters. The only sign of its existence? A 14th-century steeple that has been peeking out from the lake's depths. Until now, that is.

Seventy years after flooding the town, the lake was drained, revealing what's left of the village. According to Architectural Digest, while all homes were washed away in the flood, visitors can now tour old steps, cellars, and walls that are still standing.

The lake—which is located in South Tyrol, an Alpine region that borders Austria and Switzerland—was merged with two neighboring lakes in 1950 in order to create a hydroelectric plant. Despite massive opposition from locals, 160 homes were abandoned.

Tourists to the area are now documenting the village's remains. Local resident Luisa Azzolini, who lives in Merano, South Tyrol, called the experience a "strange feeling" in a tweet that depicts photos of current-day Curon.

The lost city won't be around for long, however, as the lake was only drained for repair work, according to the BBC. When exactly the village will be flooded once more remains uncertain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:05 pm 

'I was completely inside': Lobster diver swallowed by humpback whale off Provincetown

Doug Fraser
Cape Cod Times
Jun 11 2021

https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/news/2021/06/11/humpback-whale-catches-michael-packard-lobster-driver-mouth-proviencetown-cape-cod/7653838002/

PROVINCETOWN — At a little before 8 a.m. Friday, veteran lobster diver Michael Packard entered the water for his second dive of the day.

His vessel, the “Ja’n J,” was off Herring Cove Beach and surrounded by a fleet of boats catching striped bass. The water temperature was a balmy 60 degrees and the visibility about 20 feet.

Licensed commercial lobster divers literally pluck lobsters off the sandy bottom, and as Packard, 56, dove down Friday morning, he saw schools of sand lances and stripers swimming by. The ocean food chain was in full evidence, but about 10 feet from the bottom Packard suddenly knew what it truly felt like to be part of that chain.
Lobster diver Michael Packard, 56, of Wellfleet, gives the thumbs up Friday morning from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis, where he was taken after he was injured in an encounter with a humpback whale Provincetown. He was later released from the hospital.

In something truly biblical, Packard was swallowed whole by a humpback whale.

“All of a sudden, I felt this huge shove and the next thing I knew it was completely black,” Packard recalled Friday afternoon following his release from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis. “I could sense I was moving, and I could feel the whale squeezing with the muscles in his mouth.”

Initially, Packard thought he was inside a great white shark, but he couldn’t feel any teeth and he hadn’t suffered any obvious wounds. It quickly dawned on him that he had been swallowed by a whale.

“I was completely inside; it was completely black,” Packard said. “I thought to myself, ‘there’s no way I’m getting out of here. I’m done, I’m dead.’ All I could think of was my boys — they’re 12 and 15 years old.”

A man was swallowed by a whale: How do we know it is true?

“I was completely inside; it was completely black,” Packard said. “I thought to myself, ‘there’s no way I’m getting out of here. I’m done, I’m dead.’ All I could think of was my boys — they’re 12 and 15 years old.”

Outfitted with scuba gear, he struggled and the whale began shaking its head so that Packard could tell he didn’t like it. He estimated he was in the whale for 30 to 40 seconds before the whale finally surfaced.

“I saw light, and he started throwing his head side to side, and the next thing I knew I was outside (in the water),” said Packard, who lives in Wellfleet.

Packard’s sister, Cynthia Packard, spoke with crewman Josiah Mayo, who relayed some of the details to her. Packard said Mayo saw the whale burst to the surface, and that he initially thought it was a great white shark.

“There was all this action at the top of the water,” Packard said Mayo told her. Then the whale flung her brother back into the sea. Mayo picked him up, called by radio to shore and sped back to the Provincetown pier. A Provincetown Fire Department ambulance took him to Cape Cod Hospital.

“Thank God, it wasn’t a white shark. He sees them all the time out there,” said Cynthia Packard. “He must have thought he was done.”

How do humpback whales eat?

"Based on what was described, this would have to be a mistake and an accident on the part of the humpback," said Jooke Robbins, director of Humpback Whale Studies at the Center for Coastal Studies in Provincetown. Humpbacks are not aggressive animals, particularly toward humans, she said.

The humpback was described by Mayo as being medium-sized, Michael Packard said, and Robbins suspects it was a juvenile feeding on sand lance. When a humpback opens its mouth to feed, it billows out like a parachute, blocking the animal’s forward vision, which is why so many become entangled in fishing gear in their mouth and jaws, said Robbins.

Even so, incidents of feeding humpbacks injuring swimmers and divers, especially instances of swallowing them, are so exceedingly rare as to be nonexistent, Robbins said. The esophagus on nontoothed whales is too small to actually swallow a human but they couldwrap their mouth around a large object and then spit it out. Robbins said that, unlike toothed whales such as Orcas, baleen whales that filter out small schooling fish do not explore or cause injuries with their mouths. They generally use their tail.

"It is not something I have heard happening before," Robbins said of the incident Friday. "So many things would have had to happen to end up in the path of a feeding whale."

How was a man swallowed by a whale?

Charles “Stormy” Mayo, a senior scientist and whale expert at the Center for Coastal Studies, agreed it was likely an accidental encounter. It requires a federal permit for professional photographers and researchers to get close to whales underwater, but there are areas of the world where it is generally allowed.

“People direct dive on them (humpbacks) in the tropics, not here. In those places I’m not aware of a single incident of people having problems with them,” Mayo said.

Packard crewman Josiah Mayo is Stormy Mayo’s son.

“Michael (Packard) is a smart guy and an exceptional diver,” Stormy Mayo said. “For that to happen to him, you can be sure he did everything he was supposed to do.”

Packard was released from Cape Cod Hospital Friday afternoon with what he described as “a lot of soft tissue damage” but no broken bones. He said he’d return to diving as soon as he was healed.

What do lobster divers do?

Commercial lobster divers are a tough breed. They brave the cold waters off Provincetown to grab migrating lobsters off a sandy shelf when they emerge from an adjacent deep channel scoured out by the powerful current rounding Race Point.

It’s a spot that is fraught with danger. The crewman topside keeps track of the diver below by following his bubbles as he is pushed by those strong currents. Divers have been dragged out to sea — that happened to Packard once and he treaded water for hours before being rescued — and he once found and recovered the dead body of a fellow diver.

Packard has had his share of close calls. For years, he was an abalone diver on the West Coast in an area with great white sharks that have a history of attacking divers; he lost some friends to the predators.

Michael Packard also survived a plane crash

Ten years ago, while traveling in Costa Rica, he was a passenger in a small plane that crashed in the jungle, killing the pilot, co-pilot and a passenger. Packard sustained multiple serious injuries to his abdomen and upper body. The rescuers that found the remaining five passengers after two nights in the jungle said they wouldn’t have survived another night.

Packard thinks he may be the last lobster diver in Provincetown.

“It’s a strenuous job,” said charter boat fisherman Dave “Spider” Gibson, standing on Provincetown’s MacMillan Pier Friday afternoon. “He’s the best lobster diver I’ve ever seen. He knows what he’s doing.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:33 pm 

Yabba dabba dispute resolved. Fred Flintstone can stay
5h ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/yabba-dabba-dispute-resolved-fred-flintstone-can-stay/ar-AALvkGe?ocid=winp1taskbar

HILLSBOROUGH, Calif. (AP) — Fred Flintstone fought the law — and he won.

Technically, the owner of the fanciful Flintstones house in a posh San Francisco suburb settled a lawsuit with the town of Hillsborough. But the agreement will allow Fred and his friends to remain.

In a yabba dabba dispute that pitted property rights against government rules that played out in international media, retired publishing mogul Florence Fang defended her colorful, bulbous-shaped house and its elaborate homage to “The Flintstones” family, featuring Stone Age sculptures inspired by the 1960s cartoon, along with aliens and other oddities..

The town, however, called the towering dinosaurs and life-size sculptures “a highly visible eyesore” and sued Fang, alleging she violated local codes when she put dinosaur sculptures in the backyard and made other landscaping changes that caused local officials to declare it a public nuisance.
An attorney for the town previously said residents are required to get a permit before installing such sculptures, regardless of the theme.

Hillsborough went to court in 2019 after Fang failed to comply with multiple stop-work orders, as well as an order to remove the features around the multimillion-dollar property with its 2,730-square-foot (254-square-meter) home. Fang counter-sued. The Daily Post in Palo Alto first reported news of the settlement on Thursday.

Mark Hudak, an attorney for Hillsborough, previously said the town prides itself on its rural, woodsy feel, and rules are in place “so neighbors don’t have to look at your version of what you would like to have, and you don’t have to look at theirs.”

According to records, the settlement stipulates that the town will review and approve a survey of the landscaping improvements. In turn, Fang will apply for building permits. The town will also pay Fang $125,000, and she will drop the lawsuit — which was dismissed in state court on April 27.

No news on Barney Rubble's role in the matter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:39 pm 

Utah governor responds to constituent demanding he change 'obscene' last name

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/utah-governor-responds-to-constituent-demanding-he-change-obscene-last-name/ar-AANcBCU?ocid=winp1taskbar

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox (R) has gone viral over his response to a constituent who demanded that he change his last name, which they called "obscene."

"Really grateful for the criticism and constructive feedback I get from constituents that demand I ... change my name?" Cox tweeted late last week, including a facepalming emoji.

The governor shared a letter from someone who identified themselves as "a very concerned citizen" who told Cox that "when people say your surname it sounds like the word c---."

"I will not stand for it," the person wrote, while threatening to protest until the governor changed his name.

"Because of your reluctance to change your foul, dirty and obscene surname myself and thousands of other Utahns will be sitting in protest, not standing, until you change your heinous surname to something less offensive," the person added.

The constituent threatened to recall Cox if his name isn't changed, stating this is "not a communist dictatorship."

After some Twitter users speculated that the letter may be satire, Cox responded by saying his constituent affairs director "thinks it's serious."

The letter demanded a response at the end, saying Utah does not "accept sick jokes to run rampant in our civil institutions."

Cox was elected governor last year and previously served as lieutenant governor since 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:22 pm 

i agree with the people of utah. Spencer should change his name

to Cunts. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:07 am 

he could change it to Cocks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:25 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:05 am 

The Enduring Midwestern Mystery of Blue Moon Ice Cream
by Luke Fater August 30, 2021

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-is-blue-moon-ice-cream?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Ask six different people what the flavor of Blue Moon ice cream is and you’ll get six different answers, at least. It’s almond, it’s raspberry, it’s lemon, it’s Froot Loops, it’s cotton candy, it’s beaver musk additive (seriously—more on that later). It is, perhaps, one or more of these flavors, but that’s not for us civilians to know. An alluring hue of cosmic blue, this ice cream has secrets.

Native to the Midwestern United States and little known elsewhere, Blue Moon’s flavor dances on the tip of your tongue, taunting you into another guess, at turns familiar and elusive. It’s bright, mildly citrusy, and almost fruity, but not in a cloying way. It’s the aftertaste in particular that is, frankly, somewhat infuriating, a flavor layer that seems to say, “you know what this is,” but you don’t—and in fact, very few people do. The Blue Moon ice cream flavoring recipe is proprietary information, and those close to it are tight-lipped.

“I have the formula here in front of me,” James Doig, vice president of Weber Flavors, the company that owns the flavor’s patent, told me over the phone. “But I’m not gonna tell you what’s in it.”

While I couldn’t have expected Doig to expose his company’s secrets for this article, part of me hoped he might. Instead, I sleuthed elsewhere. Beyond Doig, I teased expertise from a Milwaukee ice-cream salesperson and a professional confectioner to get as close to Blue Moon’s secret as possible. Their insights ranged from strong hints to educated speculation. And while we may never get a straight answer on Blue Moon’s secret ingredients, that can’t stop us from making our own mock-up at home.

Most Midwesterners don’t appreciate how place-specific Blue Moon is until they’ve left the region. One Midwestern cartographer, baffled by the flavor’s absence outside the area, crunched the numbers to map out a “Blue Moon Core Area (BMCA),” as mostly Wisconsin and Michigan, and sections of Indiana and Illinois.

“I thought it was everywhere until I started selling ice cream,” said Rebecca Stoffs. She’s a born-and-raised Midwesterner and current Sales Director at Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream, a chain based out of Madison, Wisconsin, with franchises throughout the region.

This assumed ubiquity may spring from the flavor’s blinding popularity within the area. Within the Midwest—a region superlative in its ice cream consumption—Blue Moon is, by some estimates, several states’ most popular flavor. It also often appears as one of the flavors in an ice-cream blend known as Superman, another incredibly popular option in the BMCA. Given its omnipresence, Blue Moon’s makeup and provenance went unquestioned for decades. “It was just something you grew up with, you didn’t think about where it came from,” said Stoffs. “The origins are a little bit obscured there anyways,” she said, though that may be an understatement.

Many have ventured down the rabbit hole that is Blue Moon ice cream history, but none quite so eloquently as the Chicago Tribune’s Nara Schoenberg in her landmark investigative piece from 2007, titled, understatedly, “Blue Moon.” She tackles the prevailing origin story, which she calls “The Milwaukee Theory.” In this theory, Bill “Doc” Sidon, a multi-lingual Jewish chemist who fled Nazi-controlled Austria in 1939, landed at Milwaukee’s Petran Products in the 1950s—a company later absorbed by Weber Flavors. James Doig, a contemporaneous Petran employee who is cited heavily throughout the article, believes it’s here that Sidon invented Blue Moon flavoring himself. “I truly believe that Bill Sidon did the Petran version of Blue Moon,” Doig told Schoenberg, a sentiment he reinforced over the phone with me.

Schoenberg is then ruthless in dismantling the neat theory. She cites 1970s trademark documentation from Petran itself in which it claimed to have used the flavor as far back as 1939, while Sidon was still in Europe. She continues, presenting several small-town newspaper excerpts from the 1930s and ’40s on a new ice cream flavor described as “a fruit mixture with a delightful flavor and color,” called “Blue Moon”—again, before Sidon even had a role at Petran. Some mentions were even outside the BMCA, such as an ad for Isaly ice cream, which appears in an October 1931 edition of Ohio’s Marion Star and lists its flavors as vanilla, maple nut, and Blue Moon.

As is often the case with foods, hunting for Blue Moon’s provenance is a fruitless goose chase, and more importantly, it doesn’t get us any closer to that secret flavor. But this secret is so locked up anyway, even the companies who sell it don’t know what’s in it.

As Stoffs explains, there are ice cream companies, and there are flavoring companies. Midwestern ice cream companies source “Blue Moon Flavoring” from a small number of flavoring companies, then mix the mysterious blue potion into their base ice cream to sell as “Blue Moon Ice Cream.” Of course, these flavoring companies must have differing formulas, but as Stoffs puts it, “they’re all generally within the same flavor realm.” Some may be sweeter, some more lemony, and each company’s base ice cream differs slightly, but “they all have a bit of mystery—you can’t really pin down the exact flavor, which kind of ties them together,” said Stoffs.

There is one theory out there, so preposterous in nature, it would seem to be trolling were it not so genuinely investigated.

In 2007, Weber Flavors’ owner Andrew Plennert told the AP that the secret ingredient was “more common than people realize,” and that it was in fact an agent “used in the *SPAM* and beverage industries to hide bitter or harsh tastes.” Piecing together Plennert’s hints, Kasey Steinbrinck—writing for WhooNew, a news website for Northeast Wisconsin—presented a new theory. The secret ingredient was castoreum, she wrote, an FDA-recognized food additive extracted from the sacs between a beaver’s pelvis and tail, which they spray to mark their territory. It’s said, curiously, to smell like vanilla. Is Blue Moon beaver-spewn?

Stoffs and Doig were tickled by the theory, though they had never heard of it themselves (but they would say that, wouldn’t they?). In their defense, *SPAM*’s bench of bitterness-masking agents runs deep, including lecithin, menthol, aspartame, and countless others, all significantly cheaper than beaver juice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:24 am 

An old saying goes "he who goes away will inevitably come back."

And here to illustrate it: VHS!
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... e-vhs-tape

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:26 pm 

Portland I-405 pedestrian, bike bridge welcomes Neighborinos with a 'Hi-diddly-ho!'
The newly-finished bridge, now known as Ned Flanders Crossing, is the first official "The Simpsons" Portland landmark!

Author: Destiny Johnson (KGW)
Published: 2:02 PM PDT September 9, 2021
Updated: 2:02 PM PDT September 9, 2021

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/entertainment-news/i-405-bridge-named-ned-flanders-crossing/283-eac01fa6-add2-4601-ac34-a1ec0fd1bdce

PORTLAND, Ore. — The pedestrian and bicycle bridge over I-405 is ready to greet all who use it with a cheery “Hi-diddly-ho Neighborinos!” It will now be known as Ned Flanders Crossing.

Flanders is, of course, the beloved sweater-wearing, secretly buff, mustachioed, always chipper friend (and sometime unlikely adversary) of Homer Simpson.

A plaque revealing the bridge’s new name and Flanders’ peppy greeting, “Hi-diddly-ho Neighborinos!” was unveiled by Transportation Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty, the mayor of Springfield, Oregon Sean VanGordon and CEO of Travel Portland Jeff Miller.

Springfield, Oregon, if you didn’t know, is the setting and hometown of “The Simpsons.” There is a 15’x30’ mural commemorating in the city to commemorate its importance to “The Simpsons,” designed by Portland-native and creator of the show Matt Groening.

There are many unofficial spots in Portland related to “The Simpsons,” but Ned Flanders Crossing is the first officially recognized Simpsons-related landmarks.

“It’s a wonderful day for our city,” said Transportation Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty. “Naming this new bridge after Ned Flanders shows that Portland can build great things and have fun too. Thank you to Matt Groening and his team for embracing this idea.”

To show that Portland and Springfield are indeed good Neighborinos, Mayor VanGordon presented a key to the city of Springfield to Commissioner Hardesty and in return she gifted him a Ned Flanders Lego mini figure and a bike bell decorated with the Portland flag.

“Springfield, Oregon appreciates our partnership with Matt Groening and his incredible crew and our long-term connection with The Simpsons,” said Springfield Mayor Sean VanGordon. “The Official Simpsons Mural in Downtown Springfield has brought our community years of laughter, thousands of family photos, and a host of visitors from across the globe. We hope the Ned Flanders Crossing brings a smile to the face of your wonderful neighbors and becomes a positive connection for our two cities.”

Ned Flanders Crossing is 24 feet wide and is designed for two-way pedestrian and bike traffic. You can learn more about it here.

“The naming of Ned Flanders Crossing celebrates Portland’s thriving comics and animation community that resonates with many visitors,” said Jeff Miller, president and CEO of Travel Portland. “We also look forward to visitors making use of the bridge for decades to come while exploring the Pearl District and Northwest District by foot and bicycle.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:42 am 

A gravestone missing for almost 150 years was being used as a marble slab to make fudge

By Lauren M. Johnson and Christina Zdanowicz, CNN
Updated 4:33 PM ET, Fri September 24, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/24/us/gravestone-returned-after-missing-150-years-trnd/index.html

(CNN) A turned-over gravestone served as the perfect surface to make fudge for a woman living in Michigan.

How the gravestone got inside the home in Okemos, Michigan, outside Lansing? Now that's a mystery, according to Friends of Lansing's Historic Cemeteries (FOLHC) President Loretta S. Stanaway.
The monument was discovered in August on an estate auction site after the matriarch of the family was placed in a care facility for Alzheimer's, Stanaway said. A former citizen of Lansing recognized it was probably from a city cemetery and got in touch with the FOLHC, and they started investigating.

"The family hired an auctioneer to take care of the items," Stanaway told CNN. "As he was going through things, he saw this slab of marble in the kitchen and turned it around and discovered it was gravestone. The family told him they used it to make fudge. The family could not say how or when the gravestone got there."

Stanaway said the family told her the gravestone was used as the hard surface to make seasonal fudge since it was made out of marble.

The process to find the gravestone's rightful home was a long one, said Stanaway.

"We looked into trying to find any relatives to see what we could figure out what the story was from a relative standpoint or someone who could give us permission to put the monument back where it belongs, but we weren't able to find any survivors," Stanaway said.

Peter J. Weller died in 1849 in Lansing, Michigan, and was buried in Oak Park Cemetery, Stanaway said.

In 1875, his grave was moved Mount Hope Cemetery, but the monument never made it.

The gravestone had been missing for 146 years before it was returned.

The auctioneer donated the monument to FOLHC and they got to work restoring his plot. They discovered Weller had two daughters and a daughter-in-law in the same cemetery. His daughter-in-law's stone had been restored in 2014, so they decided to restore his daughters' as well.

FOLHC hired a preservationist and he returned the monuments to their former glory.
Weller now resides next to his daughters 172 years after his death. The FOLHC is planning to have a memorial service to recognize Weller's return on Sunday in the cemetery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am 

Darwin Award Nominee:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ys-europol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:30 pm 

Turkey: 'Missing' man joins search party looking for himself

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58746703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 pm 

remember this guy?

Gray_Ghost wrote:
the Wizard

the Wizard in action.....

© Provided by Newsroom

It is a love story like no other. Alice Flett and the Wizard of Christchurch have been together for nearly 50 years. Next year will mark 30 years since they were engaged, but the fiancées are no nearer to tying the knot. Frank Film asks why.

Alice Flett and the Wizard became engaged in 1992 at Christchurch's first Festival of Romance, but according to the Wiz, marriage itself is not that romantic.

“It’s not romantic being a wife or husband, but it is very romantic being a fiancée. I love you, I love you, all that stuff – I don't like that. It’s shallow and doesn't mean much and they divorce all the time. I cannot say I love Alice so I have to show my love by actually doing things.”

They first met at Melbourne University in 1969. Even then, in Channell’s first year as a resident Wizard, he was “doing things”. TV clips show him leaping skyward in a long robe, haranguing students on campus. Flett recalls seeing a photograph of him on the front page of the paper, “bouncing around on a pogo stick in a fur coat and bowler hat”.

A native Melburnian, Flett was a diligent student and head girl at a Catholic school (she is now a respected classicist and art historian). She loved school, she says, “I was a good girl.”

She and the Wizard were introduced in 1970.

“I was curious,” she says. “He was interesting to talk to.”

“She just moved in quietly,” explains the Wizard.

A subtle process?

“Very subtle.”

But not altogether sanctioned. Some were not impressed, says Flett, at the idea of a 19-year-old young woman teaming up with a man then twice her age (the Wizard will be 90 next year).

“But they either got used to it or… I didn’t particularly care what they thought anyway.”

In 1974, unsettled in Melbourne, the English-born Wizard set his sight on Christchurch, in particular Cathedral Square, which became an unofficial Speakers Corner.

It was here, with a customised passport in the name of The Wizard of New Zealand, that he staked out his space as an officially designated “living work of art”, railing against authority, feminism and of course religion.

“He loved it best when he was baited by some rabid evangelical,” recalls Flett.

But his own apparent powers could be unnerving.

When Waimate was seeking relief from a long period of drought, they asked the Wizard to do a rain dance. He did; it rained. When Auckland was suffering a water shortage, he danced again. Again, it rained.

“Then he did one in Tamworth in New South Wales where there’d been a terrible drought,” recalls Flett. “He did his thing and they sloshed water over him from every direction. He beat his drum – and then it rained. He frightened the life out of himself and said he wouldn't do it anymore.”

Today he still waxes prophetically, if politically incorrectly, outside the Arts Centre – “The Gothic Wizard outside the Gothic Arts Centre! What more could you ask than that?”

Shoulder to shoulder in their Christchurch garden, he and Flett are comfortable, companionable, if still a little bemused by each other.

“We’ve had arguments,” says Flett. “But he does still surprise me after all these years, which is probably a good thing.”

Is there going to be a wedding?

“Everyone asks that – I don’t know whether there will be a wedding. I’d had hopes.”

While a wedding ring is unlikely, a recording saying “I love you Alice” is on the Wizard’s to-do list.

“So she can play it to herself when I’m gone. Presumably I’m going to go before she does.”

*Made with the support of NZ on Air*

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national ... li=BBqdk7Q

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_New_Zealand

Ghostnote:
Back in the day when I had to fly to do business, I was sipping a huge Irish coffee
in the Koru Club lounge for VIPs and business people at Wellington airport when
the Wizard (complete with hat robes and staff) pulled up a stool, snatched away and folded
up my newspaper introduced himself and said lets talk, we clinked glasses and talked rugby
social engineering and politics for twenty minutes then he had to fly, with my newspaper.....

charismatic guy who's found a way to fund his life style by being a wizard and public speaking.....
Koru club membership is not cheap.....

time passes.....and then.....suddenly.....

Council to stop paying The Wizard $16,000 a year after 23 years on the payroll
Charlie Gates
05:00, October th 9th, 2021.....

STACY SQUIRES/STUFF
The Wizard, photographed at the Arts Centre on Friday, has been on the Christchurch City Council payroll
to “provide acts of wizardry” for the city since 1998.

The Wizard of New Zealand, also known as Ian Brackenbury Channell​, said the council had decided to stop paying him because he did not fit with the modern image of the city. Over his 23 years on the payroll, the council has paid him a total of $368,000.

“They are a bunch of bureaucrats who have no imagination,’’ he said.

“They are not thinking of ways to promote Christchurch overseas. They are just projecting an image of bureaucrats drinking lattes on the boulevard.

“Their image of Christchurch is nothing to do with the authentic heritage of the city. I am the original image of Christchurch.”

Council assistant chief executive Lynn McClelland said the final payment under the contract with The Wizard, which started in 1998, would be made in December.

“The council has met with The Wizard and sent him a letter thanking him for his services to Christchurch over the past decades, and informing him that we are bringing our formal contractual arrangement to a close.”

JOSEPH JOHNSON/STUFF
The Wizard often appears at Christchurch’s Arts Centre to chat with tourists and locals.
She said it was a “difficult decision to end this contract”.

“The promotional landscape in Ōtautahi Christchurch is changing, with new and different promotional programmes that will increasingly reflect our diverse communities and showcase a vibrant, diverse, modern city that is attractive to residents, domestic and international visitors, new businesses, and skilled migrant workers.”

The council’s contract with The Wizard called for him “to provide acts of wizardry and other wizard-like-services – as part of promotional work for the city of Christchurch”.

KIRK HARGREAVES/STUFF
The official Wizard of New Zealand stars in an exhibition at the Arts Centre opening on Saturday.
“Since 2017, this contract has been administered by ChristchurchNZ, when it took over city promotional work from the council.”

The Wizard said he would keep up his regular appearances at Christchurch’s Arts Centre, chatting to tourists and locals.

“It makes no difference. I will still keep going. They will have to kill me to stop me.”

JOE JOHNSON/STUFF
For many years The Wizard would appear in Cathedral Square, giving speeches from a stepladder.
He said he was disappointed that he was no longer being used to help promote the city.

“I would like to know what the reason is for it.

“They are not making use of my worldwide fame. I am disappointed they haven’t made use of The Wizard as part of the promotion of Christchurch.

“I don’t like being cancelled.”

DAVID WALKER/STUFF
The Wizard became an outspoken protester against heritage demolition after the 2011 Canterbury earthquakes.

The Wizard moved to Christchurch from Australia in 1974 and almost immediately attracted headlines for his appearances in full costume in Cathedral Square and his eccentric publicity stunts.

After the 2011 Canterbury earthquakes, he played a prominent role in the wave of protest that greeted the demolition of hundreds of heritage buildings.

An exhibition of his life and work opens at the Arts Centre on Saturday. Ironically, the exhibition is supported by a council grant.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/ ... he-payroll

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33