Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:02 pm 

Last edited by Farks Zappa on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm 

Most people I know are either already fans, or have not and will not ever give him the time of day. so not many people being actually offended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm 

If there are young children around, you should be careful about what Zappa album you whip out. My wife did not find it amusing when she heard our four year old son sing "baby take your teeth out." She knows FZ's music, and she was offended by my actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:49 pm 

dipshit wrote:
If there are young children around, you should be careful about what Zappa album you whip out. My wife did not find it amusing when she heard our four year old son sing "baby take your teeth out." She knows FZ's music, and she was offended by my actions.

I must ask exactly what that means... I've figured out it's blowjob related, but is it more than that? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm 

Farks Zappa wrote:
dipshit wrote:

I must ask exactly what that means... I've figured out it's blowjob related, but is it more than that? :roll:

Many men say that a gum job is better than your average blow job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 pm 

dipshit wrote:
Farks Zappa wrote:
dipshit wrote:

Many men say that a gum job is better than your average blow job.

... And toothless? :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 pm 

Farks Zappa wrote:
Do you know anybody who has been offended by Zappa's lyrics? Family, friend, celebrity or just some random stranger?

I come from a Jewish family and I emailed an mp3 of "Jewish Princess" to my brother and even though he's got an EXTREMELY thick skin and is no fan of Jewish princesses, he didn't like the song too much. I don't think he was offended by the lyrics though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:32 am 

My brother.

It's kind of funny actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:29 am 

I am and I love it, I want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:06 am 

A friend of mine was drunk in a car park singing Boby Brown with a 60 yr old fella. This woman pipes up, "I'm offended by that, stop it right now"
my mate: "what? they're just words, take it easy"
minutes later the pub door bursts open.
6ft 4 burly guy: "who's just offended my wife?"
This sad little woman must think the world revolves around her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:09 pm 

My Uncle Warren is a hard-core Catholic. I would never even mention Frank Zappa to him.

Warren already thinks I'm a little off kilter; but if he found out that I'm a Zappa fan, he'd probably look into arranging an exorcism.

By the way: Warren's uncle was a Swiss Guard (the guys who protect the Pope) during World War II. That's about as hard-core as Catholics get without the penguin suit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:34 pm 
Banned

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
My Uncle Warren is a hard-core Catholic. I would never even mention Frank Zappa to him.

Warren already thinks I'm a little off kilter; but if he found out that I'm a Zappa fan, he'd probably look into arranging an exorcism.

By the way: Warren's uncle was a Swiss Guard (the guys who protect the Pope) during World War II. That's about as hard-core as Catholics get without the penguin suit.

Got an Aunt Sophia, by any chance? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm 

I haven't met anybody yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:02 pm 

I know lots of people who are offended by Frank's lyrics. One of them is my wife, who finds some of the lyrics offensive to women and gay people. I know many other women who feel the same way, but varying in their intensity. I've known a couple of black people who didn't like Frank's using the n word.... but were they actually offended by that? I don't know.

I am not one who thinks there's something wrong with someone who finds the lyrics offensive. Nor do I think they're just being politically corrent. Who am I to say what someone else should be offended by? I don't think the music is for everyone, and that's just fine with me. :)

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:23 am 

To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:45 am 

BBP wrote:
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

I'm not sure I see what it is you dislike...I've never thought this song was about female mothers...

"The Mothers got love
That'll drive ya mad
They're ravin' 'bout the way we do
No need to feel lonely . . .
No need to feel sad,
If we ever get a hold on you
What you need is . . ."

and

"Nature's been good
To this here band
Don't ever think we're shy
Send us up some little groupies
And we'll take their hands
And rock 'em till they sweat and cry
What you need is . . ."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:05 am 

Yeah, Motherly Love was the mating call from The Mothers. The title of the song was a play on words. And "shit my foxhole" is my new favorite phrase of the week now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:32 am 

Farks Zappa wrote:
In my opinion: people who takes offense from Franks lyrics should do it and deserves it... Especially in todays politically correct world.

Yep. I agree.

One of Frank's main goals was to raise awareness of the bullshit people were buying into without ever (1)thinking about it for themselves and then (2)questioning why they were actually buying into it. He aimed to snap people out of their stupor. The people who get offended are the ones who blindly buy into the bullshit of the day, especially if the bullshit of the day is slanted towards their own benefit. The others that buy into it are the people who think that having any kind of a contrary opinion to what the majority thinks is just simply rude. Frank railed against that kind behavior. He never apologized for applying some critical thinking to the world around him and then stating his views. I loved how his mind worked and I really miss his observations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:51 am 

BBP wrote:

My favorite song on FO. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:14 am 

Jakeobs wrote:
BBP wrote:

My favorite song on FO. :oops:

You'll understand someday... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 am 

just plain doug wrote:
BBP wrote:

I'm not sure I see what it is you dislike...I've never thought this song was about female mothers...

"The Mothers got love
That'll drive ya mad
No need to feel sad,
What you need is . . ."

and

"Nature's been good
To this here band
What you need is . . ."

Of course my English is nod good enough to understand the lyrics, a lot of times I can't even make out the words. And even if I can, it takes me a long time to understand. (Examples of that are Duke of Prunes and Ms Pinky.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:50 am 

BBP wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
BBP wrote:

"The Mothers got love
That'll drive ya mad
No need to feel sad,
What you need is . . ."

and

"Nature's been good
To this here band
What you need is . . ."

Of course my English is nod good enough to understand the lyrics, a lot of times I can't even make out the words. And even if I can, it takes me a long time to understand. (Examples of that are Duke of Prunes and Ms Pinky.)

Well, there IS that line in the chorus "you know your mother's gonna love you 'til you don't know what to do" that could be about female mothers.

Of course if they used "mothers'" or "Mothers'" instead (I haven't checked the lyrics), it's about the M.O.I.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 am 

If there's one FZ song I'm offended by, it's Jumbo Go Away. I realize it's just another example of poking fun at a deserving target, but it just comes across as mean-spirited I think. Smacking women and making fun of their weight is just not cool.

"Motherly Love" is one of the least offensive FZ songs I can think of. I read it as a winking open invitation to groupies to "come taste the band". Still not sure what BBP sees as offensive in that song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 am 

BBP wrote:

Duke Of Prunes doesn't make much sense even if English is your first language, so don't worry about that one.

Ms. Pinky is about an inflatable sex doll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:17 am 

feetlightup wrote:
If there's one FZ song I'm offended by, it's Jumbo Go Away. I realize it's just another example of poking fun at a deserving target, but it just comes across as mean-spirited I think. Smacking women and making fun of their weight is just not cool.

I took that song to be about an ultra-clingy one-night-stand groupie who wouldn't let the guy leave her house. That can be a scary situation to wiggle out of, especially if you have to be back to catch the band bus to the next gig.

Last edited by swiftkicknow on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.