Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 am
Posts: 74
...


Last edited by Farks Zappa on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5793
Location: Closer than I Appear
Most people I know are either already fans, or have not and will not ever give him the time of day. so not many people being actually offended.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 pm
Posts: 357
Location: Mons Venus
If there are young children around, you should be careful about what Zappa album you whip out. My wife did not find it amusing when she heard our four year old son sing "baby take your teeth out." She knows FZ's music, and she was offended by my actions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 am
Posts: 74
dipshit wrote:
If there are young children around, you should be careful about what Zappa album you whip out. My wife did not find it amusing when she heard our four year old son sing "baby take your teeth out." She knows FZ's music, and she was offended by my actions.

I must ask exactly what that means... I've figured out it's blowjob related, but is it more than that? :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:47 pm
Posts: 357
Location: Mons Venus
Farks Zappa wrote:
dipshit wrote:
If there are young children around, you should be careful about what Zappa album you whip out. My wife did not find it amusing when she heard our four year old son sing "baby take your teeth out." She knows FZ's music, and she was offended by my actions.

I must ask exactly what that means... I've figured out it's blowjob related, but is it more than that? :roll:


Many men say that a gum job is better than your average blow job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 am
Posts: 74
dipshit wrote:
Farks Zappa wrote:
dipshit wrote:
If there are young children around, you should be careful about what Zappa album you whip out. My wife did not find it amusing when she heard our four year old son sing "baby take your teeth out." She knows FZ's music, and she was offended by my actions.

I must ask exactly what that means... I've figured out it's blowjob related, but is it more than that? :roll:


Many men say that a gum job is better than your average blow job.

... And toothless? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Posts: 1803
Farks Zappa wrote:
Do you know anybody who has been offended by Zappa's lyrics? Family, friend, celebrity or just some random stranger?

I come from a Jewish family and I emailed an mp3 of "Jewish Princess" to my brother and even though he's got an EXTREMELY thick skin and is no fan of Jewish princesses, he didn't like the song too much. I don't think he was offended by the lyrics though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 10:08 am
Posts: 269
Location: A tire in the ocean
My brother.

It's kind of funny actually.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 am
Posts: 4859
I am and I love it, I want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
"I'm interested in the capitalistic way of life, and the reason I like it better than anything else I've seen so far is because competition produces results."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 am
Posts: 304
Location: from a garage in Canoga Park
A friend of mine was drunk in a car park singing Boby Brown with a 60 yr old fella. This woman pipes up, "I'm offended by that, stop it right now"
my mate: "what? they're just words, take it easy"
minutes later the pub door bursts open.
6ft 4 burly guy: "who's just offended my wife?"
This sad little woman must think the world revolves around her.

_________________
www.thezeitgeistmovement.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 5033
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
My Uncle Warren is a hard-core Catholic. I would never even mention Frank Zappa to him.

Warren already thinks I'm a little off kilter; but if he found out that I'm a Zappa fan, he'd probably look into arranging an exorcism.

By the way: Warren's uncle was a Swiss Guard (the guys who protect the Pope) during World War II. That's about as hard-core as Catholics get without the penguin suit.

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:34 pm 
Offline
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm
Posts: 4071
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
My Uncle Warren is a hard-core Catholic. I would never even mention Frank Zappa to him.

Warren already thinks I'm a little off kilter; but if he found out that I'm a Zappa fan, he'd probably look into arranging an exorcism.

By the way: Warren's uncle was a Swiss Guard (the guys who protect the Pope) during World War II. That's about as hard-core as Catholics get without the penguin suit.

Got an Aunt Sophia, by any chance? 8)

_________________
"If Frank Zappa cut a fart and mixed it to stereo, I'd buy it!" - jimmie d


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 16725
I haven't met anybody yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:04 pm
Posts: 4050
Location: Chicago, sort of.
I know lots of people who are offended by Frank's lyrics. One of them is my wife, who finds some of the lyrics offensive to women and gay people. I know many other women who feel the same way, but varying in their intensity. I've known a couple of black people who didn't like Frank's using the n word.... but were they actually offended by that? I don't know.

I am not one who thinks there's something wrong with someone who finds the lyrics offensive. Nor do I think they're just being politically corrent. Who am I to say what someone else should be offended by? I don't think the music is for everyone, and that's just fine with me. :)

_________________
Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12336
Location: EINDHOVEN
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 35805
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
BBP wrote:
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

I'm not sure I see what it is you dislike...I've never thought this song was about female mothers...


"The Mothers got love
That'll drive ya mad
They're ravin' 'bout the way we do
No need to feel lonely . . .
No need to feel sad,
If we ever get a hold on you
What you need is . . ."

and

"Nature's been good
To this here band
Don't ever think we're shy
Send us up some little groupies
And we'll take their hands
And rock 'em till they sweat and cry
What you need is . . ."

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
Yeah, Motherly Love was the mating call from The Mothers. The title of the song was a play on words. And "shit my foxhole" is my new favorite phrase of the week now. :)

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
Farks Zappa wrote:
In my opinion: people who takes offense from Franks lyrics should do it and deserves it... Especially in todays politically correct world.


Yep. I agree.

One of Frank's main goals was to raise awareness of the bullshit people were buying into without ever (1)thinking about it for themselves and then (2)questioning why they were actually buying into it. He aimed to snap people out of their stupor. The people who get offended are the ones who blindly buy into the bullshit of the day, especially if the bullshit of the day is slanted towards their own benefit. The others that buy into it are the people who think that having any kind of a contrary opinion to what the majority thinks is just simply rude. Frank railed against that kind behavior. He never apologized for applying some critical thinking to the world around him and then stating his views. I loved how his mind worked and I really miss his observations.

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Posts: 1803
BBP wrote:
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

My favorite song on FO. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12336
Location: EINDHOVEN
Jakeobs wrote:
BBP wrote:
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

My favorite song on FO. :oops:


You'll understand someday... :twisted:

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12336
Location: EINDHOVEN
just plain doug wrote:
BBP wrote:
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

I'm not sure I see what it is you dislike...I've never thought this song was about female mothers...


"The Mothers got love
That'll drive ya mad
They're ravin' 'bout the way we do
No need to feel lonely . . .
No need to feel sad,
If we ever get a hold on you
What you need is . . ."

and

"Nature's been good
To this here band
Don't ever think we're shy
Send us up some little groupies
And we'll take their hands
And rock 'em till they sweat and cry
What you need is . . ."


Of course my English is nod good enough to understand the lyrics, a lot of times I can't even make out the words. And even if I can, it takes me a long time to understand. (Examples of that are Duke of Prunes and Ms Pinky.)

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Posts: 1803
BBP wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
BBP wrote:
To me it's Motherly Love that really shit my foxhole. I despise any "glory to the mother" items.

I'm not sure I see what it is you dislike...I've never thought this song was about female mothers...


"The Mothers got love
That'll drive ya mad
They're ravin' 'bout the way we do
No need to feel lonely . . .
No need to feel sad,
If we ever get a hold on you
What you need is . . ."

and

"Nature's been good
To this here band
Don't ever think we're shy
Send us up some little groupies
And we'll take their hands
And rock 'em till they sweat and cry
What you need is . . ."


Of course my English is nod good enough to understand the lyrics, a lot of times I can't even make out the words. And even if I can, it takes me a long time to understand. (Examples of that are Duke of Prunes and Ms Pinky.)

Well, there IS that line in the chorus "you know your mother's gonna love you 'til you don't know what to do" that could be about female mothers.

Of course if they used "mothers'" or "Mothers'" instead (I haven't checked the lyrics), it's about the M.O.I.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm
Posts: 5793
Location: Closer than I Appear
If there's one FZ song I'm offended by, it's Jumbo Go Away. I realize it's just another example of poking fun at a deserving target, but it just comes across as mean-spirited I think. Smacking women and making fun of their weight is just not cool.

"Motherly Love" is one of the least offensive FZ songs I can think of. I read it as a winking open invitation to groupies to "come taste the band". Still not sure what BBP sees as offensive in that song.

_________________
Let's hear it again for the London Philharmonic Orchestra!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
BBP wrote:
Of course my English is nod good enough to understand the lyrics, a lot of times I can't even make out the words. And even if I can, it takes me a long time to understand. (Examples of that are Duke of Prunes and Ms Pinky.)


Duke Of Prunes doesn't make much sense even if English is your first language, so don't worry about that one.

Ms. Pinky is about an inflatable sex doll.

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:48 am
Posts: 3860
Location: Attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible
feetlightup wrote:
If there's one FZ song I'm offended by, it's Jumbo Go Away. I realize it's just another example of poking fun at a deserving target, but it just comes across as mean-spirited I think. Smacking women and making fun of their weight is just not cool.


I took that song to be about an ultra-clingy one-night-stand groupie who wouldn't let the guy leave her house. That can be a scary situation to wiggle out of, especially if you have to be back to catch the band bus to the next gig.

_________________
“The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific!" -Frank Zappa


Last edited by swiftkicknow on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group