Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:37 am 

http://forum.zappa.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34062#p883735

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Jeff Koterba

Joe Heller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:37 am 

Whitey Ford
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/sports/baseball/whitey-ford-dead.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:35 am 

Joe Morgan

I didn't care for him much as a broadcaster, but he was a hell of a player.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/joe-morgan-driving-force-of-big-red-machine-dies-at-77/ar-BB19WK4X?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 am 

J.D. Crowe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm 

A week or so old, but great pic....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:08 am 

Did Eddie turn left-handed up in Hebbin?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:27 am 

Gordon Haskell, former King Crimson voice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:24 am 

Toshinori Kondo, fusion and avantgarde jazz trumpet player. Played with the likes of John Zorn or Bill Laswell.

Toshinori Kondo IMA21 - Cosmic Nature [live 2019 in Japan]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 pm 

Spencer Davis, bandleader with the Spencer Davis Group, dies aged 81
Guitarist who helped popularise blues and R&B in the UK died while being treated for pneumonia in hospital

Photograph: Rex/Shutterstock
R&B pioneer … Spencer Davis in 2008.

Spencer Davis, who as bandleader with the Spencer Davis Group topped the UK charts twice in the mid-60s, has died aged 81 while being treated for pneumonia in hospital.

The group, who formed in Birmingham in 1963 and also featured Steve Winwood, had hits including Gimme Some Lovin’, Keep On Running, Somebody Help Me and I’m a Man. Along with a number of other early British pop groups, they helped popularise the sound of US blues and R&B in the UK.

Winwood left the band in 1967 to form Traffic, with Davis and others disbanding the group in 1969. They partially re-formed for two years in the mid-70s, and again in 2006, when Davis returned to international touring with the group.

Photograph: John Pratt/Getty Images
The Spencer Davis Group in 1966, with Davis in pram.

Born in Swansea in 1939, Davis began learning accordion and harmonica at the age of six. Drawn to the allure of US R&B records, he took up the guitar and formed his first band the Saints with Bill Wyman, who later joined the Rolling Stones.

Davis moved to Birmingham to study German at university, and played in bands on the side, first performing American folk and traditional blues. In 1963, he and drummer Pete York recruited the 15-year-old Winwood and his brother Muff to their band, first called Rhythm and Blues Quartet, then the Spencer Davis Group.

Like the Stones, the Dave Clark Five, the Kinks and others, the Spencer Davis Group were part of the flourishing “beat” scene in the mid-60s, playing music influenced by American rhythm and blues. They, along with another Birmingham band the Moody Blues, were dubbed “Brum beat” to differentiate them from the vibrant scenes in London and Liverpool, though their popularity grew with a residency at London’s Marquee club.

Building their sound around uptempo rhythms and Winwood’s powerfully soulful vocals, their first single, I Can’t Stand It, was released in 1964. They topped the charts the following year with Keep On Running, and in 1966 with Somebody Help Me, both written by Jamaican artist Jackie Edwards. Further hits included the anthemic, Winwood-penned Gimme Some Lovin’, which was also a hit in the US, reaching No 7.

I’m a Man (1967) would be the group’s last major hit, also reaching the Top 10 in both the US and UK and later covered by the band Chicago.

Following their first breakup, Davis moved to the US and struggled financially, later complaining of punitive record contracts. “I didn’t realise what had been going on. I’d sold millions of records and hadn’t seen a penny from them,” he said in 2005.

He switched to an industry role in the 70s, working with his label Island Records to help develop artists including Bob Marley and Robert Palmer. He also helped Winwood’s solo career.

Artists paying tribute to Davis include Gary Kemp of Spandau Ballet who tweeted: “He lead a magnificent band, one of the greats of the 60s, along with Muff and Steve Winwood. Keep in [sic] Running and Gimme Some Lovin’ were R&B classics. He drove soul into the white rock sound of the time.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... =hvper.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 pm 

Jose Padilla, DJ famed for Ibiza chill-out music and Cafe del Mar compilations, dead at 64
14:44, October the 21st, 2020.

Cafe del mar, twitter
DJ Jose Padilla

José Padilla, a Spanish DJ known as the Emperor of Chill for the chill-out music he played at sets in Ibiza, has died. He was 64.

Padilla died Sunday night at a hospital on the Mediterranean island, Spanish private news agency Europa Press reported Tuesday.

The report provided no cause of death. Padilla tweeted in August that he had undergone surgery for cancer.

The Café del Mar bar in Ibiza, where Padilla made his name with sets played at sunset, said in a tweet that he “chilled a generation of clubbers and his art touched the lives of millions” through album sales.

Padilla was behind the celebrated Café del Mar musical compilation series. He had a wide range of musical tastes, including pastoral groups such as the Penguin Café Orchestra, maverick singer songwriters like John Martyn, flamenco, bossa nova and dub.

Padilla arrived in Ibiza from Barcelona in 1975 and worked as a waiter before starting as a DJ.

AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dead-at-64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:05 pm 

James Randi (aka The Amazing Randi):
He was 92...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:11 am 

^^^Father of pseudoskeptisims. RIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:31 pm 

Ruth Kluger, Austrian Holocaust survivor and author of “Still Alive: A Holocaust Girlhood Remembered.”
She was 88...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:43 pm 

Jerry Jeff Walker, country singer and songwriter, dies at 78

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jerry-jeff ... bojangles/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm 

Viola Smith, trailblazing female drummer from Wisconsin, dies at 107

In the 1930s, she was billed as the “world's fastest girl drummer,” and she went on to see other female drummers follow her trailblazing path over the next nine decades.

Smith played drums alongside Billie Holiday, in the 1945 Abbott & Costello film “Here Come the Co-Eds,” five times on "The Ed Sullivan Show,” and at President Harry Truman’s inauguration in 1949. She told Tom Tom the highlight of her music career was playing in the Kit Kat Band in the original Broadway production of “Cabaret” in 1966.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:12 am 

Sean Connery: James Bond actor dies aged 90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:39 am 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:56 am 

:cry:

James Bond star Sir Sean Connery dies, aged 90
02:38, 1st of November, 2020.

SUPPLIED
Actor Sir Sean Connery, renowned for his portrayal of James Bond, has died aged 90.

Sean Connery, the Scottish-born actor who was the first to utter the famous movie line "the name's Bond, James Bond”, has died. He was 90.

His death was confirmed by his family, the BBC reported.

Though he made more than 60 films, winning an Academy Award for his supporting role as an incorruptible lawman on the trail of Al Capone in The Untouchables (1987), Connery was most closely affiliated with the debonair fictional British spy he portrayed seven times.

He introduced Bond and his trademark greeting in Dr No (1962), which turned Connery into an international star. He would go on to play the womanising, dinner-suited, martini-quaffing spy, created by Ian Fleming, in From Russia With Love (1963), Goldfinger (1964), Thunderball (1965), You Only Live Twice (1967) and Diamonds Are Forever (1971). In 1983, Connery starred in one more Bond movie, Never Say Never Again.

"Connery was always my favorite Bond, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the pressure to measure up to him," Pierce Brosnan said in an interview with Cinefantastique magazine in 1995, the year he took over the Bond role.

Brosnan, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig also played Bond on the big screen, none capturing the same following as Connery. In a 2012 poll by the NPR news organisation, Connery was voted the best Bond actor, with 56 per cent of the votes. Craig came in second, with 28 per cent.

Sexiest Man

People magazine named Connery its sexiest man alive for 1989. In 1997, the magazine hailed him for remaining "a man's man of action who still leaves women as shaken as any of Bond's martinis”.

Peter Rainer, a former Bloomberg News critic, in 2006 called Connery "the rare example of a performer who became a versatile actor after being identified with a famous role”.

In addition to Connery's Oscar-winning performance, Rainer cited his roles as a sadistic London police detective in Sidney Lumet's The Offence, a British soldier in The Man Who Would Be King and a dashing thief in Michael Crichton's The Great Train Robbery, all released in the 1970s.

Gerald Penny/AP
In this 1987 file photo, actor Sean Connery holds a rose in his hand as he talks about his new movie "The Name of the Rose".

Favourite Film

He played the estranged father of Harrison Ford's swashbuckling archaeologist in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), the mutinous commanding officer of a Soviet submarine in The Hunt for Red October (1990), King Arthur in First Knight (1995) and a reclusive white writer who mentors a talented Black teenager in Finding Forrester (2000). His last featured role in a film was The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003).

Connery told the UK Daily Record in August 2010, as he turned 80, that From Russia With Love was his favourite Bond movie. "The story was intriguing, and the locations were intriguing," he said. "It was an international movie in every sense of the word."

The Guardian reported in 2004 that, when asked if he would ever escape his identification with Bond, Connery replied, "Not yet. It's with me 'til I go in the box”.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery was born on August 25, 1930, in the working-class Fountainbridge district of western Edinburgh. The elder of two boys, he first slept in a drawer in a traditional tight Scottish apartment called a tenement. His home was demolished decades ago, though there's a plaque with his name on it at a new housing development there.

Sir Sean Connery has died at the age of 90. He was the first actor to play James Bond on the big screen in Dr. No in 1962, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice and Diamonds Are Forever followed. pic.twitter.com/VaFPHCM5Ou
— James Bond (@007) October 31, 2020

“The name’s Bond... James Bond” — he revolutionised the world with his gritty and witty portrayal of the sexy and charismatic secret agent. He is undoubtedly largely responsible for the success of the film series and we shall be forever grateful to him.”
— James Bond (@007) October 31, 2020

Royal Navy

Connery left school at 14 and began working a range of jobs including bricklayer, lifeguard and coffin polisher. At 16, he joined the Royal Navy for three years before a stomach ulcer prompted his return to civilian life in Edinburgh.

At 19, he posed as a model at the Edinburgh Art School. Bodybuilding and a shot at the Mr Universe title -- he came in third -- ultimately led to a career in acting. He turned down a trial with English football club Manchester United.

Connery spent much of the 1950s modelling, playing bit theatrical parts and making the odd chorus appearance. Then in 1958, he won his first significant film role, playing opposite Lana Turner in Another Time, Another Place as a war correspondent who falls in love with a female American journalist.

He stuck with acting until he won the role that made him a household name.

Everyone at Aston Martin is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Sir Sean Connery.

Our thoughts are with his family at this time. pic.twitter.com/nZhCzMHOjm
— Aston Martin (@astonmartin) October 31, 2020

Author's Choice

Fleming, as author of the Bond novels, reserved the right to approve the actor who would play the character on film, and he wanted that to be Cary Grant, according to a 1989 Los Angeles Times article. The team making the Bond films, led by producer Albert Broccoli, couldn't afford such a big star.

Broccoli was intrigued by Connery's performance in the Walt Disney Productions film Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959). After Broccoli's wife, Dana, told him that Connery "has sex appeal”, he insisted on casting him as Bond.

Connery's role as Jim Malone, a street tough Chicago cop who helps Eliot Ness track down mobster Al Capone in The Untouchables, won him a Golden Globe Award as well as his Oscar.

In 2000, Connery was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II after a delay that he attributed to his ardent support of Scottish independence from the UK. One of two tattoos he got after joining the Navy said "Scotland Forever”.

1/ I was heartbroken to learn this morning of the passing of Sir Sean Connery. Our nation today mourns one of her best loved sons.
https://t.co/76UGDptARp
— Nicola Sturgeon (@NicolaSturgeon) October 31, 2020

Politics in Scotland became more important in Connery's life as he got older. In 1995, he deposited 750,000 pounds in a Bank of Scotland account with the plan to donate the monthly interest to the Scottish National Party, he told the Herald newspaper in 2003.

Connery, however, was reluctant to delve deeper into politics.

"I'm too naive to be a politician," he told the Glasgow, Scotland-based Herald when interviewed at his home in the Bahamas. "Politicians don't have enough dream in them. I actually believe that things can be done."

Connery married French-born artist Micheline Roquebrune in 1975. With his first wife, Diane Cilento, he had a son, Jason Connery.

Bloomberg

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/c ... es-aged-90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:05 am 

Sorry to hear about Sean's passing...

Marnie needs more love. I think I'll play that one soon!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:18 am 

BBP wrote:

hmmm, well, how does this make you feel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1zTAFKA

still sorry?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:43 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
BBP wrote:

still sorry?

Times were different then weren't they...Rape was a misdemeanor in most states until the late 90's and was generally consider to be the woman or girls fault and was most often punished with probation if even prosecuted...unless of course if a black man was accused of raping a white woman then by all means it was prosecuted to the utmost of the law... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:38 am 

Dave Granlund

Dave Whamond

Manny Francisco

Dario Castillejos

Joe Heller

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:45 am 

Plook wrote:
lapsed maps wrote:
BBP wrote:

still sorry?

Times were different then weren't they...Rape was a misdemeanor in most states until the late 90's and was generally consider to be the woman or girls fault and was most often punished with probation if even prosecuted...unless of course if a black man was accused of raping a white woman then by all means it was prosecuted to the utmost of the law... :idea:

and this is a public interview from the late 80s, not some relic dug up from 50 or 60 years ago. I can only imagine what this guy's opinions were during that time period....yikes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 am 

Bokonon wrote:
Viola Smith, trailblazing female drummer from Wisconsin, dies at 107

In the 1930s, she was billed as the “world's fastest girl drummer,” and she went on to see other female drummers follow her trailblazing path over the next nine decades.
Frances Carroll & Her Coquettes featuring drummer Viola Smith :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5c_XZaArH4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:09 pm 

Ken Hensley, songwriter with 70s rock band Uriah Heep, dies aged 75
Ben Beaumont-Thomas 4 hours ago

© Provided by The GuardianPhotograph: Fin Costello/Redferns
Ken Hensley, the songwriter and multi-instrumentalist best known for his work with 70s rock band Uriah Heep, has died aged 75. His press representative said he had died “peacefully following a very short illness”.

His Uriah Heep bandmate Mick Box said he was in “deep shock … Ken wrote some amazing songs in his tenure with the band, and they will remain a musical legacy that will be in people’s hearts forever.” His brother Trevor wrote on Facebook: “His beautiful wife Monica was at his side and comforted Ken in his last few minutes with us. We are all devastated by this tragic and incredibly unexpected loss.”

As well as playing guitar and keyboards with the band – and helping popularise the latter instrument as part of an emerging harder rock sound – Hensley penned and sang lead vocals for one of the band’s key tracks, the stirring folk-rock song Lady in Black. He also wrote Easy Livin’, which was a hit across Europe in 1972, as well as a large number of the band’s other songs.

Born in London in 1945 and raised in Stevenage, Hensley came of age amid the British blues-rock explosion of the 1960s, playing in his early band the Gods with Mick Taylor, who would go on to join the Rolling Stones and John Mayall’s band; Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake & Palmer also passed through their ranks.

In 1969, Hensley joined Spice, who soon renamed themselves Uriah Heep. He spent a decade with the band, recording 13 albums with them that straddled prog, blues, heavy metal and more, before leaving in 1980. Their biggest chart hit came with Return to Fantasy, which reached No 7 in the UK album chart in 1975. After he left, the 80s featured spells with hard rock bands he had influenced, including WASP, Blackfoot and Cinderella. As well as occasional one-off live reunions with Uriah Heep, he sporadically released solo material, including the ambitious Blood on the Highway (2007), an autobiographical rock opera featuring the Alicante Symphony Orchestra, hard rock vocalist Glenn Hughes, and more.

He had recently finished a new album, My Book of Answers, due for release in February.

Hensley is survived by Trevor and two other siblings Mark and Dawn, as well as his wife Monica.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/uknews/ke ... &ocid=iehp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309  Next