Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:12 pm 

I was maybe 15 or 16 when I saw a bit of Fleetwood Mac on TV. It was Playboy After Dark, at Hefner's Chicago club. It may have been the trip they recorded the Chess album.

The closest I ever got to see Mac was when my wife took us to see Stevie Nicks.

RIP Green

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:42 pm 

RIP Peter Green
thank you for the music

RIP Regis Philbin
thank you for the laughs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:30 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
RIP Peter Green
thank you for the music

RIP Regis Philbin
thank you for the laughs

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:59 pm 

Is that your final answer? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:05 pm 

Peter Green very sad- the Downunder White House will turn Green in memory......
Plenty of Showbiz Blues and The Supernatural to be then play on for the Man of the World.

https://youtu.be/QV-VugfOZuY

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:19 pm 

RIP John Saxon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:50 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green dies aged 73

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53539989
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
This calls for a download. Look for it tomorrow. 8)
Thanks for the Mystery Download.
FLEETWOOD MAC - THE FIRST 3 UK SINGLES (1967-68) 45 UK MONO
These mono mixes have never officially appeared on CD (nor elsewhere).
Includes label scans.
WAV FILES EXPIRE ONE WEEK FROM TODAY

Three more in the series "essential in mono but not available on cd".

I BELIEVE MY TIME AIN’T LONG (1967) [Origimal UK Mono]

01. I Believe My Time Ain't Long *
02. Rambling Pony

Producer: Mike Vernon
Engineer: Mike Ross
Recorded at CBS Studio, New Bond Street, London. September 9, 1967

Line up:
Peter Green: Vocal, Guitar, Harmonica
Jeremy Spencer: Vocal *, Slide-Guitar
Mick Fleetwood: Drums
Bob Brunning: Bass

This single was Fleetwood Mac's very first release ever. Much in the same vain as 'Wrapping Paper' by Cream, it was not exactly a spectacular musical starting point. It sold poorly, and finding a copy in good condition is pretty difficult. The original mono mixes heard here are not available elsewhere. The two tracks were remixed in stereo in 1969 for the 'Pious Bird Of Good Omen' album, and those are the versions that have appeared on LP and CD since.

This was transferred from an EX copy. The records are breathtakingly quiet, and after a light declick, folding the two mono channels together and some manual restoration work, I think I've achieved an almost tape like quality. There is absolutely no groove wear.

BLACK MAGIC WOMAN (1968) [Original UK Mono 45]

01. Black Magic Woman
02. The Sun Is Shining

Recorded at CBS Studio, New Bond Street, London. February 22, 1968

This beautiful near mint copy with unworn grooves presents to you the rare original mix in sublime quality.

Black Magic Woman is a pretty well-known track, but the version we all know is of course the stereo mix that was prepared in 1969, more than a year after the initial recording. So, for historical reasons alone, the mono mix is a must-hear (if you like this track, anyway). But other than that, it is a much fatter sounding mix and it lasts 6 seconds longer than the stereo. We also get to hear a different take of The Sun Is Shining, compared to the better known stereo version (which was also prepared for the 1969 compilation album "The Pious Bird Of Good Omen"). This track may well be one of Jeremy Spencer's finest moments: loud abrasive vocals, a great lyric, and a mean slide-guitar, all in the best Elmore tradition, of course.

This was the band's 2nd single, released in May 1968, shortly after their debut album had come out. Despite the fact that the album was a surprise hit, not all that many copies of the 7" were sold, which makes it quite difficult to find a clean copy these days.

NEED YOUR LOVE SO BAD (1968) [Original UK Mono 45]

01. Need Your Love So Bad
02. Stop Messin' Round (Take 5)

Recorded at CBS Studio, New Bond Street, London. April 28, 1968

This was the band's 3rd UK single and the last one to receive a separate mono mix.

As with the first two UK singles, the original 45 mixes have not been available for very long. Five of those six sides were remixed to stereo in 1969 for the compilation album "Pious Bird Of Good Omen", and those are the versions we have heard for the last 45 years. On this A-side, the strings are quite different from the 1969 remix, and it has a much fatter sound. The B-side is a different recording from the version on "Mr. Wonderful" (Take 4). Take 5 was not remixed to stereo until the ’90s, and instead, the album version was used on subsequent Fleetwood Mac compilation albums. Again, the 45 mix sounds much better and more authentic.

Although the medium is scarce, the challenge was to find a copy without groove wear, which considering the delicate loud cutting on both sides is quite an undertaking. Many copies were auditioned and did not make the grade. Finally two clean sounding copies were located, but there was still notable differences in playback quality. Each side here came from a different copy, but luckily no patch work was needed. Side A came out pretty clean, but you may notice that the other side is still a bit hot sounding.

NO SIGN-UP / NO PASSWORD

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/55014b123cbde11f60ae7bef336ca89620200726093339/3866ec

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:31 am 

Thank you! I must confess I don't consciously know anything by PG or FWM.

But someone pointed out this to me yesterday, and I really love it:
John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers - The Supernatural
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKn-0zEcRYI

PS. Mr Nice, always prefer to transfer FLAC in the place of WAV, if you can, for bandwidth sake. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the WAVs as it is...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:58 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Thank you! I must confess I don't consciously know anything by PG or FWM.

But someone pointed out this to me yesterday, and I really love it:
John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers - The Supernatural
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKn-0zEcRYI

PS. Mr Nice, always prefer to transfer FLAC in the place of WAV, if you can, for bandwidth sake. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the WAVs as it is...
A Hard Road is one of my favorite albums by anybody.

Here it is, in both wav and flac:

JOHN MAYALL AND THE BLUESBREAKERS - A HARD ROAD (1967)
recorded 1966

crew:
John Mayall – vocals, guitar, harmonica, piano, organ
Peter Green – guitar, vocals
John McVie – bass
Hughie Flint, Aynsley Dunbar – drums
John Almond, Alan Skidmore – saxophones
Ray Warleigh – wind instruments

Produced by Mike Vernon

FILES EXPIRE ONE WEEK FROM TODAY

WAV AND FLAC - TAKE YOUR PICK

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/39523cd71c51006384621a03bf5a85f420200726124941/acd0dc

(Pictured: John Mayall, Peter Green, John McVie, Aynsley Dunbar)

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22 am 

Very sad RIP mr Peter Green

Nice links mr Nice.Ain't Long Gray Mare what must me classed as their firsts still there ls no Mac in the band then tho Greeny wrote the song for first time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am 

Gone With The Wind Star Olivia De Havilland Is Dead At 104

Olivia de Havilland, classic star of Hollywood and two-time winner of the Academy Award for Best Actress, died peacefully in her sleep at her home in Paris, France on Saturday. She was 104.

De Havilland built her legacy — one of strong, beguiling characters in difficult circumstances — with her own hands. She rose to prominence in the 1930s as Errol Flynn’s imperiled lass in a series of swashbuckling adventure films like Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood. Typically, she’d be bound up and carried away, only to be saved by the hero and ensnared once more in the ties of matrimony. But in her own life, de Havilland refused to wait for the calvary. Confident in her abilities and wary of being typecast as the damsel in distress, she waged a legal battle against Warner Bros. when the studio tried to extend her seven-year contract as a penalty for refusing roles. She eventually won, swooping in and saving herself in a landmark ruling that is still known today as the “de Havilland law.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 am 

cleon wrote:
Very sad RIP mr Peter Green

Nice links mr Nice.Ain't Long Gray Mare what must me classed as their firsts still there ls no Mac in the band then tho Greeny wrote the song for first time.
As far as I know, Long Grey Mare is not their first, as it was originally released on their self-titled first album in 1968. By the way, I love that album, and it has an unusual dedicated mono mix. If anyone wants an immaculate transfer of an EX mono copy, which is not officially available on cd, put a note here, or pm to me.

8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:25 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green dies aged 73

oh shit... :cry:

so sad. rest in peace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:24 pm 

FLEETWOOD MAC - FLEETWOOD MAC (1968) ORIGINAL UK MONO

01. My Heart Beat Like A Hammer *
02. Merry Go Round
03. Long Grey Mare
04. Hellhound On My Trail *
05. Shake Your Moneymaker *
06. Looking For Somebody
07. No Place To Go
08. My Baby's Good To Me *
09. I Loved Another Woman
10. Cold Black Night *
11. The World Keep On Turning
12. Got To Move *

None of these mono mixes have officially appeared on CD (nor elsewhere).

Produced by Mike Vernon
Engineered by Mike Ross

Line up:
Peter Green: Vocal, Guitar, Harmonica
Jeremy Spencer: Vocal *, Slide-Guitar, Piano
John McVie: Bass
Mick Fleetwood: Drums
Bob Brunning: Bass on Tr. 03

Hardware:
- Technics 1210mk2
- Jelco SA-750D Tonearm (w/ JAC 501 cable)
- Audio Technica AT33PTG MC
- Pro-Ject Tube Box SE-2
- Yamaha CA-1010
- RME ADI-2 A/D Interface

Software:
- Audition 3.0 used for adjusting DC bias, editing, (incl. manual removal of clicks and pops), adding gain and making the cue points.
- Click Repair 3.4.1 used with setting Cl: 15, Cr: 0
- CueListTool v1.7 & Mediaval CueSplitter used for generating the .cue's & .m3u's.

Another one in the series "essential in mono but not available on cd".

This is a dedicated mix, meaning that it was specifically designed for mono playback. There are quite a few notable musical differences compared to the stereo mix, and it's also much more bass heavy and punchy sounding. It has a nice roomy sound that you can't really hear on the stereo version. I'm not sure which mix I like best, but it's very nice to have this, especially since it has never been officially released on CD (in mono, that is). Tracks 6 + 7 appeared in fake stereo on the stereo album and have never been available in true stereo.

This album needs little introduction. It was the brilliant Peter Green's first solo outing. At this point, the band's feet were still firmly rooted in the blues. Green's contributions are all impressive, from the gloomy "I Loved Another Woman" to the laid back “Merry Go Round”. Green's sidekick Spencer gets to do no less than half of the songs, which is a bit of a pity as he's clearly not in the same league as Green. That being said, his interpretation of Robert Johnson's “Hellhound On My Trail” is enjoyable, and his rocking version of Elmore James' “Shake Your Moneymaker” became a no. 1 hit in Sweden (!). The album came out during the glory days of the British Blues boom, and managed to stay on the English charts for more than a year.

This was transferred from an EX copy. The record is breathtakingly quiet, and after a light declick, folding the two mono channels together, and some manual restoration work, I think I've achieved an almost tape like quality. There is absolutely no groove wear.

Enjoy!

ADDED BONUS: THEN PLAY ON (1969) UK VINYL VERSION (Your choice of WAV or FLAC)

01. Coming Your Way
02. Closing My Eyes
03. Fighting For Madge
04. When You Say
05. Showbiz Blues
06. Underway
07. One Sunny Day
08. Although The Sun Is Shining
09. Rattlesnake Shake
10. Without You
11. Searching for Madge
12. My Dream
13. Like Crying
14. Before The Beginning
Bonus:
15. Oh Well (Parts 1 and 2) 45 Single

FILES EXPIRE ONE WEEK FROM TODAY

SAFE, EASY DOWNLOAD / NO PASSWORD

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5db1fdcb73f8e6419de4a93cc36d445b20200727070823/f8077e8e678a0379b59e26f1837f2c6420200727070856/e169c3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 am 

^^^^^ Cheers Mr. Nice Guy ^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 am 

^^^^^^Thanks for the uploads Mr. Nice Guy! Loving the mono mix on the first album!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:31 am 

Eddie Shack, Feisty Wing for Powerful Maple Leafs, Dies at 83

Eddie Shack, a colorful, pugnacious wing who became a fan favorite at Maple Leaf Gardens playing for Toronto’s four Stanley Cup championship teams of the 1960s, and who remained in the public eye as a pitchman on Canadian television sporting a cowboy hat and flowing mustache, died on Saturday in Toronto. He was 83.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/sports/hockey/eddie-shack-feisty-wing-for-powerful-maple-leafs-dies-at-83.html

Steve Nease

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:10 am 

'We all loved you Andy Haden'
Rugby world reacts to death of All Blacks great

19:01, July the 29th, 2020

Press Historic Collection/Stuff.co.nz
thhti Auckland captain Andy Haden makes a victory speech after lifting the Ranfurly Shield from Canterbury at Christchurch's Lancaster Park in 1985.

Old foes and rugby greats from all over the world are paying tribute to towering All Blacks icon Andy Haden.

The former All Blacks lock died around 7am in Auckland on Wednesday after a long illness. He was 69.

Long time friend, rugby sparring partner and former Australian lock Peter FitzSimons has said Haden will be remembered for many things but first and foremost for his extraordinary playing ability.

“New Zealand never thought they would see the likes of the great All Black forward Colin Meads again, and so far they're right – but the gargantuan Haden is the one who ran him closest,” FitzSimons has written in his Sydney Morning Herald obituary.

FitzSimons said the imposing Haden had many more strings to his bow than just strength, co-ordination and skill.

“There was a cleverness to his play, an ability to read the game, to find the way to win whatever it took – famously taking "a dive" against the Welsh at Cardiff in 1978, to milk a three-point penalty goal, to deny the locals what would have been a legendary victory – that stood out,” FitzSimons wrote.

Peter Bush/Stuff
Frank Oliver, front, and Andy Haden prepare for the fateful lineout against Wales in 1978.

Off the field, FitzSimons said Haden was full of joy and humour with a huge network of foes turned friends around the world who he regularly kept in touch with.

“He was the rugby archetype of the man who would do his best to flay you and slay you on the field, but be the first to shake your hand afterwards and at after-match receptions be the one to cross the divide and get the two teams mingling, and then singing,” FitzSimons wrote.

Another former Australian player, David Campese - who represented the Wallabies 101 times - said Haden's legacy will remain an important part of All Blacks history.

Stuff
Ex-Wallaby captain Nick Farr-Jones with former All Blacks Ian Jones and Andy Haden.

Former Springboks’ forward Schalk Burger Snr described Haden as a fierce opponent on the field and a friend off it.

"Rugby and charisma is poorer today but we all loved you Andy Haden.

"RIP my old World XV room-mate," Burger Snr wrote on Twitter.

Another former Springbok forward, Rob Louw, played alongside Haden in a Presidents World selection in Cardiff and described him as "one of the greats".

"A visionary of the future of the programme and an all-round good guy," Louw posted to Twitter.

Yes agree David one of the greats was lucky enough to play with him in a Présidents World side in Cardiff and against him on that infamous demo series in 81 a visionary of the future of the progame and an all round good guy! Will have a pint on you Andy my buddy RIP Andy Haden!!

— Rob Louw (@roblouw6) July 29, 2020

World Rugby chair Bill Beaumont, who played against Haden on five occasions in his time as a lock for England, described Haden as "a true great of NZ rugby" and a "tough competitor".

Very sad to hear of Andy Haden's passing. He was a true great of NZ rugby & I was fortunate to play five tests against him. Tough competitor. My condolances go to his family & the NZ rugby community at this difficult time.

— Sir Bill Beaumont (@BillBeaumont) July 29, 2020

Veteran northern hemisphere rugby journalist Peter Jackson said Haden's win-at-any-cost attitude made the All Blacks lock a controversial figure in Britain and Wales but there was nothing but admiration for his determination when it came to his health battle.

New Zealand rugby has paid fitting tribute to Andy Haden, @AllBlacks lock whose win-at-any-cost attitude made him a controversial figure in Britain and Wales in particular. Nobody questioned his courage in a 17-year fight against cancer. Our sympathy to his family and friends.

— Peter Jackson (@JackoRugby) July 29, 2020

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... acks-great

Ghost note: This death has rocked our little rugby obsessed nation,
to many certain All Blacks past and present are like gods that walk
amongst us, Andy Hayden was one of those legendary men.
I was privileged to have met Andy a number of times over the years,
He was originally introduced to me by my father at a rugby function in 1974/75
and again by Cookie in the early 80's and we've continued to be in the same place
at the same time at some pretty diverse events and locations ever since.
He was looking pretty good last February, we had a cup of tea at the hospital in
thhti Auckland, he was one of life's genuinely nice guys, he will be missed.....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:12 am 

GTOs member and Frank Zappa associate Miss Mercy dies aged 71

Miss Mercy, member of The GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously) and associate of Frank Zappa, has died aged 71, according to her former bandmate.

The musician’s death was confirmed by Pamela Des Barres – aka GTOS’ Miss Pamela, and later the author of the memoir I’m With The Band – in a post on Instagram yesterday (July 28). No cause of death was given.

more here :arrow: https://www.nme.com/news/music/gtos-member-and-frank-zappa-associate-miss-mercy-dies-aged-71-2717362

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
GTOs member and Frank Zappa associate Miss Mercy dies aged 71

:cry:

Great interview with Miss Mercy https://juicemagazine.com/home/miss-mercy-the-gtos/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:38 am 

OBITUARY
Bennett Glotzer, Longtime Music Manager
Who Repped Frank Zappa & Janis Joplin, Dies at 86

July the 29th, 2020 by Chris Eggertsen

Philippe Morotti
Bennett Glotzer

With the late Albert Grossman, Glotzer formed Grossman-Glotzer Management in the late 1960s.

Longtime music manager Bennett Glotzer, who helped guide the careers of such legendary artists as Janis Joplin and Frank Zappa, died on July 9 in Los Angeles due to complications from heart disease. He was 86.

Through a partnership with Albert Grossman and on his own, Glotzer managed the careers of some of the most influential music stars of the 1960s and '70s, including Joplin, The Band, Procol Harum, Gordon Lightfoot and Gang of Four. One of his most notable associations was with Zappa, whose career he managed for several years beginning in the mid 1970s.

A graduate of Columbia Law School, Glotzer’s entry into the artist management business came after he completed legal work for The Blues Project during their 1967 split, leading him to manage the groups that resulted from that fracture: Seatrain and the multi-platinum jazz-rock outfit Blood, Sweat & Tears. Richard Greene, Seatrain’s violinist and fiddler, describes Glotzer as a generous, ambitious and endlessly-resourceful manager with a knack for solving seemingly insurmountable problems.

“He was just kind of amazing guy in terms of getting things done,” says Greene, who Glotzer recruited to play in Seatrain in the late 1960s. “[Once] he got us booked in Denmark, so we flew over to Copenhagen, and it was all [supposed to be] set up -- hotels, the whole thing. We landed and nothing was set up. It all fell apart. So there we are in the airport with nothing, [and Bennett] runs off in a rented car and puts the whole thing back together like in an hour or two hours, in a foreign country.”

Glotzer linked up with Grossman in 1969 and formed the New York-based Grossman-Glotzer Management, which managed the careers of Joplin, The Band, Lightfoot, Seatrain, Tom Rush, James Cotton and The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, among others. After the two men parted ways several years later, Glotzer moved to Los Angeles and launched Glotzer Management, where he and his team additionally handled publishing administration and publicity duties for a client list that included Zappa, Nina Hagen and singer-songwriter Hollye Leven. During that period, Glotzer also dipped his toe in the film industry, associate producing Zappa’s 1979 concert film Baby Snakes and dabbling for a time in screenwriting.

In the early 1990s, Glotzer formed The Education Group, an educational video production company, which he ran until his death.

Glotzer is survived by his son Michael Glotzer and daughter Liz Glotzer.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... oplin-dies

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 am 

Bent Fabric
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhujn5Tt358

Alley Cat on organ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcrezPiy-0

My wife is fluent in Danish so we have these 60s movies that all have Bent Fabric soundtracks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:27 am 

I was 12 when this was released, and it's one of my favorites. I've own both the mono and stereo versions. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:53 am 

Herman Cain has died after being hospitalized with Covid-19

Herman Cain, the former presidential candidate and former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, has died from coronavirus, according to an obituary sent from his verified Twitter account and Newsmax, where he was launching a television show.

Cain tested positive for Covid-19 on June 29 and was hospitalized on July 1 after developing symptoms serious enough to be hospitalized, according to the statement posted on Twitter.

Cain was a co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, and his last public appearance was as one of the surrogates at President Trump's June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Trump campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh told CNN at the time that Cain did not meet with Trump at the Tulsa rally.

Taylor Jones

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Herman Cain has died after being hospitalized with Covid-19

Herman Cain, the former presidential candidate and former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, has died from coronavirus, according to an obituary sent from his verified Twitter account and Newsmax, where he was launching a television show.

Cain tested positive for Covid-19 on June 29 and was hospitalized on July 1 after developing symptoms serious enough to be hospitalized, according to the statement posted on Twitter.

Cain was a co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, and his last public appearance was as one of the surrogates at President Trump's June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Trump campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh told CNN at the time that Cain did not meet with Trump at the Tulsa rally.

I feel no sadness. I can't help it.
He's a Rep. He went to Tulsa without a mask. He almost asked for it.
The guy is Black and support Trump.
Have you ever seen chickens applauding Colonel Sanders ?

How stupid can you be ?
:P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307  Next