Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 303  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:46 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm 

Mij wrote:
Tero wrote:
It is to my Finnish friends at Palasokeri.com that I owe my rediscovery of Rush. RIP Neal Peart, dead at 67. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSlvoO3Vw8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Peart

That is really a sad one
The best drumming performance I've ever seen live
Brain cancer it seems ?
I didn't know he was ill. TOO SAD !
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So sad to hear. He was a very private person. Not surprising that he wanted to keep it to himself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:02 pm 

My jaw hit the floor when I heard the bad news :cry:
Irreplaceable and unforgettable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm 

I'm still stunned and I don't know what to say. Holy fuck.

RIP, Neil... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 pm 

We'll missyou, Teal...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:49 am 

ursinator wrote:
Wolfgang Dauner, internationally respected piano and keyboard player from germany :cry:

Any Dauners?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:07 am 

Aart Staartjes (81), actor, host and programme maker for kids. He was in the Dutch Sesame Street for over 38 years. Besides that he co-wrote and starred in many ground-breaking children's shows: Klokhuis, J.J. De Bom, De Film Van Ome Willem... Whole generations including yours truly grew up with his work.

Virtually unknown outside the Dutch speaking world, but still the world is poorer for losing him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 am 

American horror story actor Harry Hains dead at 27
Jess Cohen·23:36, January 14th 2020

Michael Bezjian/WireImage
Actor Harry Hains has passed away at the age of 27.

Harry's mom, actress Jane Badler, took to social media on Thursday to share the heartbreaking news with her followers. In a message to readers, Jane said that Harry had died earlier this week.

"On Jan 7 my beautiful son died. He was 27 and had the world at his feet," Jane wrote in a tribute post on Instagram. "But sadly he struggled with mental illness and addiction. A brilliant spark shone bright too short a time..I will miss you Harry every day of my life."

Jane, who appeared on the Australian TV series Neighbours, went on to tell her followers that there will be a service for Harry in Los Angeles on Sunday, Jan. 12. Harry's passing comes just over a month after his 27th birthday. The budding star was born in Melbourne, Australia in Dec. 1992. Following in his mom's footsteps, Harry appeared in a number of productions over the years, including American Horror Story in 2015.

In the comments of Jane's tribute post, many celebs are sending their love and condolences.

"Jane, I'm heartbroken. Harry truly was one of the brightest, most charismatic, charming guys I've ever met," John Stamos wrote. "His sense of humor and kindness helped get me through a dark time and I will forever be grateful."

The Fuller House star continued, "In the song 'Starry, Starry Night,' Don McLean sings about Vincent Van Gogh. - 'This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you' I'm so sorry for your loss, Jane. I will never forget your son. Xo John."

"Jane. There are no words. I am heartbroken for you," actress Rachel Griffiths commented. "Here whenever you needs."

X-Men actor Shawn Ashmore also commented, "I am so sorry for you loss Jane!!"

Our thoughts are with Harry's family during this heartbreaking time.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/b ... dead-at-27

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 am 

Rocky 'Soulman' Johnson The Rock's Dad ... WWE Superstar Dead at 75
1/15/2020 3:18 PM PT
https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/15/the-rock-father-dad-rocky-johnson-soulman-dead-dies-75/

Rocky Johnson, a WWE pioneer and father of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, has died according to the WWE.

Johnson, who was living in the Tampa Bay area, passed away Wednesday. Rocky "Soulman" Johnson -- started out in the National Wrestling Alliance in the 1960s, but got widespread notoriety when he joined the WWE in the 80s. He and Tony Atlas became the league's first African-American tag team champions as The Soul Patrol.

Some of his biggest rivals were Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Don Muraco and Adrian Adonis. Rocky retired back in 1991 and he was later inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2008.

Obviously, his son followed in his footsteps. It is widely known that Dwayne adopted his dad's name for his own wrestling moniker ... and certainly carried on the torch lit by his pop.

instagram.com/p/BOpqezLDd6K

They remained close -- The Rock even gifted his father a brand new car and a house for Christmas. Last year he published his autobiography -- "Soulman: The Rocky Johnson Story" -- and his son wrote the foreword.

Rocky was 75. RIP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 pm 

Christopher Tolkien, son of "Lord of the Rings" author J.R.R. Tolkien, has died at 95

BY DANIELLE GARRAND
JANUARY 16, 2020 / 7:59 PM / CBS NEWS

Christopher Tolkien, the son of "The Lord of the Rings" author J. R. R. Tolkien, has died at 95, The Tolkien Society announced on Thursday. Following his father's death in 1973, Christopher became the literary executor of the Tolkien Estate. He also edited and published the legendary author's previously unpublished material for decades, including "The Silmarillion" in 1977 and "The Fall of Gondolin" in 2018.
He also contributed to his father's literary universe in image form through his detailed maps of Middle-Earth, the universe in which the famed "The Lord of the Rings" series is set.

Christopher was born in Leeds, United Kingdom, on November 21, 1924. He was a military veteran, serving in the Royal Air Force during World War II. He later became a lecturer in Old and Middle English, as well as Old Icelandic, at the University of Oxford.

His father was also a professor at Oxford when he wrote "The Hobbit," which is said to have been based on a story he told his children. So Christopher was likely one of the first to hear a version of the now-beloved 1937 novel.
"Christopher's commitment to his father's works have seen dozens of publications released, and his own work as an academic in Oxford demonstrates his ability and skill as a scholar," wrote Tolkien Society Chair Shaun Gunner in a press release. "We have lost a titan and he will be sorely missed."

In a second tweet, The Tolkien Society wrote Christopher was "Middle-earth's first scholar. Namárië." The word "Namárië" has a dual meaning — as both a greeting and a farewell in Quenya, a language created by J.R.R. Tolkien, CNET reported.

Christopher is survived by his wife, Baillie, and three children, Simon, Adam and Rachel.

Amazon is working on a sprawling and expensive streaming series based on the Second Age of Middle-earth, which comes before the events depicted in The Lord of the Rings, CNET reported. This week, the company announced numerous cast members, including English actor Robert Aramayo. Aramayo played young Ned Stark in HBO's Game of Thrones, and will star as Beldor, the leading role in the new series.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:34 pm 

Tero wrote:
Dirk, who actually can't play bass, only acoustic guitar, is shocked and stunned!
sarbeez wrote:
Neil Innes, founding member of the great Bonzo Dog Band and a member of The Rutles.
Tero wrote:
Yeah like I said. Neil. As well as Nasty. Dirk is stunned.
I'm stunned too. :cry:

rest in peace, mr. innes.
just plain doug wrote:
So long, Neil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmQcz_3Caig
--Neil Innes on piano.

another tidbit for neil innes fans: tiny desk concert @ npr (may 2011)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:53 pm 

Singer-songwriter David Olney dies on stage at age 71

Americana singer and songwriter David Olney, whose music was recorded by Linda Ronstadt, Steve Young, Emmylou Harris and others, died of an apparent heart attack while performing on stage in Florida Saturday, according to a statement on his website. He was 71.

Olney stopped in the middle of a song and paused, said "I'm sorry," and "put his chin to his chest," said fellow singer-songwriter Scott Miller, who was performing with Olney at the 30A Songwriters Festival in Santa Rosa Beach.

"He never dropped his guitar or fell (off) his stool," Miller wrote on Facebook. "It was as easy and gentle as he was."

Amy Rigby, who also was on stage with Olney, also wrote a powerful Facebook post.

"He was very still, sitting upright with his guitar on, wearing the coolest hat and a beautiful rust suede jacket ... I just want the picture to be as graceful and dignified as it was, because it at first looked like he was just taking a moment," Rigby said, adding, "We all lost someone important last night."

An "Americana Pioneer," Olney produced more than 20 solo albums, according to his website. His second album included the song "Deeper Well," which Emmylou Harris covered in her 1995 album Wrecking Ball. Others who covered his music included Del McCoury, Slaid Cleaves and The Wailin' Jennys, according to the website.

"David was loved and highly respected by all who knew him including his fellow musicians and his multitude of fans," said 30A Festival producer Russell Carter on Facebook.

Olney is survived by his wife, two children, and "a devastated music community," according to the statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 am 

Terry Jones, 'Monty Python' Co-Founder and British Comedy Icon, Dies at 77

Terry Jones, a founding member of Monty Python and a beloved comedian, screenwriter, film director, poet, historian and author, has died. He was 77.

His agent confirmed his death to the BBC. He had been suffering from dementia, which was revealed publicly by his son, Bill, in September 2016. It left him unable to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:18 am 

After Neil Innes ?
A pretty bad time for British comedians.

Mr. Creosote is forever in my mind
:(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:14 pm 

RIP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:53 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Terry Jones, 'Monty Python' Co-Founder and British Comedy Icon, Dies at 77

Terry Jones, a founding member of Monty Python and a beloved comedian, screenwriter, film director, poet, historian and author, has died. He was 77.

His agent confirmed his death to the BBC. He had been suffering from dementia, which was revealed publicly by his son, Bill, in September 2016. It left him unable to speak.
just heard. sad. :cry:

rest in peace, mr jones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:20 pm 

Jimmy Heath, jazz saxophonist, composer/arranger.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:00 am 

Mr. Peanut is dead for some reason

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/us/mr-peanut-dead-brand-tweet-trnd/index.html

(CNN Business) Mr. Peanut, the 104-year old mascot of the Planters snack food company, has died after sacrificing himself in what appears to be a traumatic road accident.

Sounds like the perfect setup for a Super Bowl commercial!

Planters made the announcement in a series of tweets and news releases Wednesday. "In the ultimate selfless act, he sacrificed himself to save his friends when they needed him most," the announcement read.

And lest you think Planters would turn their mascot into a wad of chunky peanut butter for no reason, the company confirmed his death has something to do with a commercial that will run during the Super Bowl on February 2.

In a preview of the ad, Mr. Peanut appears to save actors Wesley Snipes and Matt Walsh after the Nutmobile veers off a cliff. Mr. Peanut lets go of a branch to save his friends from plummeting to their deaths.

How grim! "Thinking of a snack? Reach for Planters! Our big gloved hand will slip right out of your desperate grasp!"

The ad premise, and Mr. Peanut's death, leave a lot of questions. Does Mr. Peanut have a rich, haunted backstory that would lead him to such a decision? We already know he's a war veteran*. Perhaps such self-sacrifice is in his nature. What a twist that would be! The monocled bourgeoisie icon contained multitudes all along.

Since absolutely nothing makes sense, all of the cookies, snack foods and other residents of Sentient Brand Land mourned the peanut's passing on Twitter.

"Always classy, always crunchy, always cleaned up nicely. We'll miss him!" tweeted Mr. Clean. (Speaking of — Mr. Clean has a military vibe too, no? Perfectly starched pants, a square drill sergeant jaw ... were they brothers in arms?)

"We, too, would sacrifice it all for the nut," wrote Snickers, who really needs to read the room.

Planters is encouraging people to pay their respects using the hashtag #RIPeanut, and to tune in to Mr. Peanut's funeral during the Super Bowl. Sure, why not?

All the world's a stage, and all the peanuts merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and one peanut in his time plays many parts: The legume, the snack food, the mascot, the gentleman, the soldier, the savior.

Last scene of all, that ends this strange eventful history,
is televised sacrifice and mere oblivion,

sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
*This is a real World War II-era poster from the US Department of Agriculture. The peanut, canonically, has been to war.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am 

I'll miss him. :cry:

Longtime PBS NewsHour anchor Jim Lehrer is dead at 85

Jim Lehrer, the legendary debate moderator and former anchor of the "NewsHour" television program, died Thursday. He was 85.

Lehrer's death was announced by his longtime network home, PBS, where he co-founded the "NewsHour" in 1975.

PBS said Lehrer died "peacefully in his sleep at home" and did not share further information about the cause of death.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:45 pm 

Milt Priggee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:47 am 

The media have been playing poignant anecdotes about Terry Jones
from Michael Palin John Cleese and others.....very sad, he will be missed.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:28 am 

Ravi Shankar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:16 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
Ravi Shankar

I read this and thought "didn't he did a while ago?" And he did....December of 2012.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:28 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
I read this and thought "didn't he did a while ago?" And he did....December of 2012.

I saw somebody else posting about Ravi Shankar on Facebook and figured it must be the anniversary of his death, which tends to trigger these things. But you're right, his death date is in December. He must be showing up because this is his centennial year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:03 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I saw somebody else posting about Ravi Shankar on Facebook and figured it must be the anniversary of his death, which tends to trigger these things...

Another service brought to you by Facebook.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 303  Next