Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:55 pm 

Pierre Ballouhey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:04 am 

I remember he seasoned the rice by cooking it in seawater. 8)

Rudy Boesch, a contestant on the first season of 'Survivor,' has died

Rudy Boesch, who was a contestant on the first season of CBS' "Survivor," has died, the SEAL Veterans Foundation said.

Boesch spent the majority of his life as an active-duty SEAL or supporting "the generation of warfighters who still follow in his footsteps," Naval Special Warfare Command Force Master Chief Bill King and Commander Collin P. Green said in a statement.

He enlisted at just 17, during World War II, the two said.

"Many Americans will remember Rudy as a loveable, pop culture icon, but those of us in the community were among the few who really knew him and what he stood for beyond the TV screen," they said.

"Long before the SEAL Ethos was written, Rudy lived it," they said.

Survivor Executive Producer Jeff Probst said the reality show's family "has lost a legend."

He said Boesch, 91, played in the show when he was 72.

He's one of "the most iconic and adored players of all time," Probst said. "And he served our country as a 45-year Navy SEAL. Rudy is a true American hero."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:38 pm 

Original 'Marlboro Man' Robert 'Bob' Norris has died

The rancher and philanthropist best known for playing the original "Marlboro Man" has died after a life spent not smoking.

Robert 'Bob' Norris died in the care of Pikes Peak Hospice in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on November 3, according to a statement released by Tee Cross Ranches, which he founded. Norris was 90.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:38 am 

Photographer, Terence “Terry” Patrick O’Neill CBE
has passed away at the age of 81.

Known for his beautiful photographs of celebrities & fashion, Terry’s range was truly undeniable. He will most certainly be missed.

Terence Patrick O'Neill CBE (30 July 1938 – 16 November 2019) was a British photographer, known for documenting the fashions, styles, and celebrities of the 1960s. O'Neill's photographs capture his subjects candidly or in unconventional settings.

His work has been featured in numerous exhibitions. He was awarded an honorary fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society in 2004 and the society's Centenary Medal in 2011. His work is held in the collection of the National Portrait Gallery, London.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:57 pm 

Gahan Wilson, Macabre Cartoonist, Dead at 89

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:34 pm 

Star Trek and Bonnie & Clyde actor Michael J. Pollard* dead at 80

*Tim Robbins look-a-like

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 pm 

The oldest living American, Alelia Murphy of New York, has died at 114

Alelia Murphy, a 114-year-old former seamstress who'd been recognized as the oldest living American, has died.

Murphy, a New Yorker who was drawn to the city by the Harlem Renaissance, died Saturday.

Her family said she credited her longevity to God and "being a good person."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:45 am 

Agnes Baker Pilgrim, of Oregon’s Takelma tribe and global advocate of indigenous rights, dies
GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Published 7:55 a.m. PT Nov. 29, 2019 | Updated 12:24 p.m. PT Nov. 29, 2019
https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2019/11/29/agnes-baker-pilgrim-of-oregons-takelma-tribe-and-global-advocate-of-indigenous-rights-dies/4330917002/

Agnes Baker Pilgrim, right, a spiritual elder of the Confederated tribes of Siletz Indians, touches noses with Waana Davis, left, chairperson of the Maori tribe of New Zealand, as they greet during the Parade of Nations ceremony at Willamette University in 2005. (Photo: Statesman Journal file)

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Agnes Baker Pilgrim, the oldest member of Oregon’s Takelma tribe and a vocal advocate for clean water and Native American rights, has died. She was 95.

Pilgrim, who was better known as “Grandma Aggie,” died Wednesday in Grants Pass as doctors tried to repair a brain aneurysm, her alma mater, Southern Oregon University, said. The university awarded Pilgrim a presidential medal — its highest honor — in August for her extensive work to preserve and protect Native American culture and clean water around the world.

Pilgrim, the granddaughter of a tribal chief, traveled the world well into her 80s advocating for environmental, animal and indigenous rights, including a trip to Rome to lobby Pope Benedict XVI to repeal a centuries-old Roman Catholic edict that many Native Americans say provided the legal justification for European encroachment on Native American land in what is now the United States. She also met with the Dali Lama.

Pilgrim also fought to bring forgotten tribal rituals back to her home community, including a sacred salmon ceremony that is now performed each year on the Applegate River in southern Oregon. She referred to her work as being a “voice for the voiceless.”

Pilgrim, a mother of six, said in an online essay that at age 45 she began to feel restless. Until then, she had varied careers, including as a race car driver, a boxer and a log truck driver, she said in a 2010 speech at the Earth and Spirit Council.

“This sensation was not only present in my waking hours but also in the dream time. There was a force pulling me toward a spiritual path. I was told to cleanse my inner-self. Ultimately, I did what I call a ‘dying to self,’” she wrote in the essay, posted on the website of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz. “But first I fought this inner-calling, thinking I wasn’t worthy to do it. Looking back, however, I can see where I began to change.”

Pilgrim enrolled at Southern Oregon University in 1985 and graduated at age 61 with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in Native American studies.

She co-founded SOU’s Konaway Nika Tillicum Native American Youth Academy, an eight-day residential program for Native American middle and high school students, and in 2004, co-founded the International Council of Thirteen Indigenous Grandmothers, a global alliance of female elders who promote protection of the Earth and awareness of indigenous culture.

“Never did I think when I retired way back then that I would get to his point in my life. ... Being this ‘international grandma’ is not an easy job. I put in 10, 14, 17 hours a day — and try that when you’re nearly 86 years old,” she said to applause in a 2010 speech. “But I’m very concerned about our water all over the world and you should be too. Water is a precious commodity. Without water, all life dies.”

Pilgrim was the granddaughter of Jack Harney, the first elected chief of the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz, and was recognized as a “living treasure” by the Confederated Tribes of the Siletz. Her likeness is featured in a statue in downtown Ashland, Oregon.

Married three times, Pilgrim had six children, 18 grandchildren, 27 great-grandchildren, and a great-great-granddaughter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:54 am 

Caroll Spinney, Big Bird’s Alter Ego on ‘Sesame Street,’ Is Dead at 85

Sometimes he stood 8 feet 2 inches tall. Sometimes he lived in a garbage can. He often cited numbers and letters of the alphabet, and for nearly a half century on “Sesame Street” he was Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, opening magic doors for children on the secrets of growing up and the gentle arts of friendship.

His name was Caroll Spinney — not that many people would know it — and he was the comfortably anonymous whole-body puppeteer who, since the 1969 inception of the public television show that has nurtured untold millions of children, had portrayed the sweet-natured, canary-yellow giant bird and the misanthropic, furry-green bellyacher in the trash can outside 123 Sesame Street.

Mr. Spinney, who also performed his characters in live concerts around the world and at the White House many times and was featured in films, documentaries and record albums, died on Sunday at his home in Woodstock, Conn. He was 85.

more here :arrow: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/08/obituaries/caroll-spinney-dead.html

Randy Bish

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 286, 287, 288, 289, 290