Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 288  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:52 pm 

Plook wrote:
I loved me some Thunderbirds back in the day...safe travels Shane... :arrow:

I pulled out the dvd's for this weeks playlist.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:15 am 

Tania Mallet, Bond girl in 'Goldfinger,' dies aged 77

"Goldfinger" actress Tania Mallet has died aged 77, prompting messages of condolence from James Bond fans.

A cousin of British actress Dame Helen Mirren, Mallet played Tilly Masterson alongside Sean Connery's Bond in the 1964 classic. Her death was announced on the official 007 Twitter account.

In "Goldfinger" she played a character intent on killing Auric Goldfinger after he murdered her sister by painting her body in gold paint.

Tilly was killed off during the movie when villain Oddjob threw his steel-rimmed hat at her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:48 pm 

What's all this talk I hear this week about the death of Nipsy Russell?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:02 pm 

The Ghoul

DETROIT - Ron Sweed, who played the late-night Detroit TV horror host "The Ghoul," has died at age 70, according to reports.

With his trademark catch phrases, lab coat and glasses, cult icon The Ghoul made a big impression on a whole generation of kids in the 70s and 80s in Detroit.

He was originally from Cleveland, where his show originated, but experienced high success in the Detroit market.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:17 pm 

TOLEDO, Ohio — Dan Robbins, an artist who created the first paint-by-numbers pictures and helped turn the kits into an American sensation during the 1950s, has died. He was 93.

Robbins, whose works were dismissed by some critics but later celebrated by the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History, died Monday in Sylvania, Ohio, said his son, Larry Robbins.

He had been in good health until a series of falls in recent months, his son said.
Robbins, who spent much of his life in the Detroit area, was modest about his work and didn't get too bothered by those who mocked the paintings.

Critics came to view the paint-by-numbers kits as a metaphor for a commercialized, cookie-cutter culture and fretted that they far outnumbered the original works of art hanging in American homes, said William Lawrence Bird Jr., curator of the 2001 exhibition at the National Museum of American History.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 am 

Nadja Regin 'James Bond' actress, dies at 87

Nadja Regin, the Serbian actress who appeared in the Bond films "From Russia With Love" and "Goldfinger," has died at the age of 87, the official "James Bond" Twitter account announced.

"We are very sorry to learn that Nadja Regin has passed away at the age of 87," the Monday tweet read. "Nadja appeared in two Bond films, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE and GOLDFINGER. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:06 pm 

Georgia Engel, Gentle-Voiced ‘Mary Tyler Moore’ Actress, Is Dead at 70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:24 pm 

Owen Garriot, NASA astronaut who spent a total of 70 days in space, aboard Skylab and the Space Shuttle Columbia:
He was 88...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 pm 

Trainspotting 2 gangster Bradley Welsh shot dead in Scotland
Bryan Alexander·10:43, Apr 19 2019

Bradley Welsh, the former boxer who landed the role of a gangster in 2017's T2 Trainspotting has been shot dead near his home in Edinburgh, Scotland.

The 42-year-old died after a shooting on Wednesday at about 8pm (local time). Emergency services said a man was found "seriously injured in the street"."[He] sadly passed away at the scene," an Edinburgh Police statement said.

"His death is being treated as suspicious and inquiries are continuing," the police stated, asking members of the public to give "relevant information."

SUPPLIED
Bradley Welsh played Doyle in Trainspotting 2.

Author Irving Welsh, who wrote the books that the Trainspotting films are based on, tweeted a farewell to his "amazing and beautiful friend".

"Thanks for making me a better person and helping me to see the world in a kinder and wiser way," he wrote.

Jane Barlow/AP
A floral tribute at the scene of the shooting of Trainspotting 2 actor Bradley Welsh.

Welsh, a former lightweight boxing champ in Britain, used his tough-guy persona to land a role in the sequel to the 1996 drug drama.

In the movie, Welsh plays Doyle, a gangster boss who runs all the illicit saunas in Edinburgh.

When Renton (Ewan McGregor) and Sick Boy (Jonny Lee Miller) begin giving him competition, he deals with them in true thug fashion.

Jane Barlow/AP
Police at the scene of the shooting of Trainspotting 2 actor Bradley Welsh.

Doyle and an associate drive Renton and Sick Boy to a secluded location, before having them strip and make their own way back home on foot.

- USA Today

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/c ... n-scotland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 am 

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg dies at 98

© Reuters/Benoit Doppagne FILE PHOTO:
auf wiedersehen Luxembourg's Grand Duke Jean waves from his car during a visit to the Belgian northern city of Ghent

Luxembourg's Grand Duke Jean, who oversaw the transformation of the Grand Duchy into an international financial centre before abdicating and handing over to his son, has died at the age of 98.

He was born on Jan. 5, 1921 to Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma.

© Reuters/Yves Herman FILE PHOTO:
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg and his wife Josephine Charlotte

His early life was overshadowed by World War Two - his family had to flee invading Nazi troops and seek refuge in the United States and Canada.

Jean returned to Europe in 1942 to receive military training at Sandhurst in Britain. He briefly served as a guard at Buckingham Palace before joining Allied forces in Normandy in 1944, taking part in the battle of Caen.

After the war, Jean married Belgian princess Josephine Charlotte and had five children. He became the country's sixth Grand Duke when his mother Charlotte abdicated in 1964.

© Reuters/Philippe Wojazer FILE PHOTO:
Luxembourg's Grand Duke Jean, Denmark's Queen Margrethe II, and Sweden's King Carl XVI Gu..

During his 36 years as the head of state, his country of half a million inhabitants wedged in between Belgium, Germany and France, turned from an industrial backwater into an international financial hub.

Jean had groomed his oldest son Henri to become his successor when he transferred most of his duties to him in 1998. He stepped down as Grand Duke in 2000.

Luxembourg is a constitutional monarchy in which the Grand Duke holds executive power and bills only become law with his signature.

(Reporting by Robert-Jan Bartunek; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/gra ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 pm 

Celtics Legend, Basketball Hall of Famer John Havlicek Dies at Age 79

BOSTON — John Havlicek, the Boston Celtics great whose steal of Hal Green’s inbounds pass in the final seconds of the 1965 Eastern Conference final against the Philadelphia 76ers remains one of the most famous plays in NBA history, has died. He was 79.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:54 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

BOSTON — John Havlicek, the Boston Celtics great whose steal of Hal Green’s inbounds pass in the final seconds of the 1965 Eastern Conference final against the Philadelphia 76ers remains one of the most famous plays in NBA history, has died. He was 79.

I've watched a couple Celtics games with Havlicek on YouTube. Great player.

(Did you forget to also mention Dwayne Haskin's career, jimmie? :mrgreen:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

I was able to watch and heckle him when the Celtics would come to town to play against the Washington Bullets (now Wizards), including during the playoffs.

I know there must be a joke in there, and until last night's NFL draft, I didn't know the name Dwayne Haskins. So, what's so funny? :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:13 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Mr. Nice Guy wrote:

I was able to watch and heckle him when the Celtics would come to town to play against the Washington Bullets (now Wizards), including during the playoffs.

I know there must be a joke in there, and until last night's NFL draft, I didn't know the name Dwayne Haskins. So, what's so funny? :?

Well, Haskins is going to Washington, where many an NFL career has died.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Well, Haskins is going to Washington, where many an NFL career has died.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:27 am 

Sad to see John Smothers has passed as announced by Ahmet here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhDZDx ... e&t=807(at around 13 mins in .)

Raise a glass of colada and milk to his memory .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:26 am 

tinkamok wrote:

Sad to see John Smothers has passed as announced by Ahmet here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhDZDx ... e&t=807(at around 13 mins in .)

Raise a glass of colada and milk to his memory .
Sad. I was thinking about him the other day.

I recall sitting with him and his wife Freckles when they came to see Ike and Napi performing with Project/Object at The Recher Theatre in Towson, Maryland in February 2002.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:22 am 

While you were out the record store stealing hubcaps and enjoying all your fun in that high-pitched zapper mean voice a halt to all Zappa for awaile :| snakes man everywhere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 am 

RIP John Smothers :(

Dong Work for Yuda be hitting th' playlist tonight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:39 am 

You may now guard Frank's wings in Heaven, RIP, Mr. Smothers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:15 pm 

Bruce Bickford :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:34 pm 

:cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 pm 

I met Bruce, while I was on tour with Project/Object with Don, Napi, and Ike. The band played two gigs at The Rainbow in Seattle on Halloween and November 1, 2003. Bruce performed "The Story of Monster Road" with the band vamping behind him both nights. He also provided films that were played before the shows and during breaks. Jeff Simmons was also at the Halloween show, but didn't perform.

One night, while I was standing outside of the club, I saw Bruce walking up the wet sidewalk. All of a sudden he froze and appeared to be looking at some imaginary being off in the distance. Then he ran up the street. It was weird.

He was a great talent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 pm 

^^^That Monster Road documentary was really great. It did a good job of telling his story. There was some sadness in his life but it was also admirable that he was largely able to live the life he wanted to live producing his art. RIP, Bruce!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 pm 

Wow! RIP. I missed him by a few hours in the Monster Road tour in BC, Canada. A very important artist in the whole Zappa aesthetics. Even though it boiled down to music, in the end, one cannot imagine Zappa'a canon without his claymation...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 279, 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285 ... 288  Next