Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 am 

Jon Hiseman, jazz/rock drummer extraordinaire from a cancerous brain tumor.
As a 13 year old in 1968, my brain was being completely rewired by a lot of fantastic music. The first Colosseum album was at the top of the list of mind blowers for me, and remains as fresh today as it was back then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 am 

sarbeez wrote:
As a 13 year old in 1968, my brain was being completely rewired by a lot of fantastic music. The first Colosseum album was at the top of the list of mind blowers for me, and remains as fresh today as it was back then.
Still fake news at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:05 am 

Robert Mandan, Star of ’70s Sitcom ‘Soap,’ Dies at 86
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/robert-mandan-star-of-%E2%80%9970s-sitcom-%E2%80%98soap%E2%80%99-dies-at-86/ar-AAycjFR?li=BBnb7Kz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 pm 

Chester!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:27 am 

Just finished watching rerererereruns of Soap season two

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 am 

Designer Kate Spade found dead in apparent suicide

Tom Stiglich

Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:59 am 

Wizard of Oz's Last Surviving Munchkin Jerry Maren Dies at 98

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:58 am 

Andrew March Wilson
(Andy to his mates)

Died S U D D E N L Y on the 5th of June 2018, he was 64.

if you're reading this Andy, you will be missed.

:( :( :( :( :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:42 am 

Anthony Bourdain...

DEAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:29 am 

I watched his season opener earlier this week on Sunday, while I was at the beach.
I enjoy his show, even though I've been a vegetarian for the past 20 years.

Anthony Bourdain found dead in apparent suicide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 am 

Can't say it was much of a shock. He always seemed to have a drink in his hand and struggled with a history of drug problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 am 

Stefan Weber, founder and leader of the true zappaesque ensemble Drahdiwaberl from Vienna
Drahdiwaberl live in the 80's
wikipedia entry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:08 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Maria Bueno: Brazilian star of 1960s women's tennis dies

South America's most successful female tennis player, Maria Bueno of Brazil, has died at the age of 78.

Bueno won 19 major titles during her career in the 1950s and 60s, including three Wimbledon singles titles and four US championships.

She had recently been admitted to hospital suffering from mouth cancer.

A self-taught prodigy, she brought grace to the game and was a dominant force, BBC Americas editor Leonardo Rocha writes.

However, her career was shortened by elbow problems, which she blamed on the heavy wooden rackets of the time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44422258

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:17 pm 

Former Fleetwood Mac Guitarist Danny Kirwan Dead at 68
Danny Kirwan, the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist who played on five of the British band's albums, died Friday at the age of 68.

Mick Fleetwood, who recruited the then-18-year-old Kirwan to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, confirmed Kirwan's death with a tribute on the band's Facebook. No cause of death was announced.

"Today was greeted by the sad news of the passing of Danny Kirwan in London, England. Danny was a huge force in our early years. His love for the Blues led him to being asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, where he made his musical home for many years," Fleetwood wrote.

"Danny's true legacy, in my mind, will forever live on in the music he wrote and played so beautifully as a part of the foundation of Fleetwood Mac, that has now endured for over fifty years. Thank you, Danny Kirwan. You will forever be missed!"

Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac following the release of 1968's Mr. Wonderful – his first appearance with the band was their Number One single "Albatross" – and would record five albums with the band while serving as guitarist and singer: 1969's Then Play On (the band's last Peter Green album) and Blues Jam at Chess, 1970's Kiln House(the first Mac album to feature Christine McVie), 1971's Future Games and 1972's Bare Trees.

Due to his alcoholism, Kirwan was fired from Fleetwood Mac during the tour in support of Bare Trees in 1972. Over the second half of the Seventies, Kirwan released four solo albums. However, Kirwan's next few decades were reportedly marred by bouts of mental health issues and homelessness.

"I've been through a bit of a rough patch but I'm not too bad," Kirwan told the Independent in a rare interview in 1993, after Mick Fleetwood asked the Missing Person Bureau to seek out his former guitarist. "I get by and I suppose I am homeless, but then I've never really had a home since our early days on tour. I couldn't handle it all mentally and I had to get out. I can't settle."

For his contributions to Fleetwood Mac, Kirwan was among the eight members of the band – along with Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, John McVie, Christine McVie and Jeremy Spencer – that were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998; Kirwan did not attend the induction ceremony.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 am 

^Very sad sorry of a lost guitar great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luNSvdWf-c8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:23 am 

Imam Abdullah Haselhoef (49) in a rare case of karma, died in a road accident, he got hit by a wrong way driver.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 am 

BBP wrote:
Imam Abdullah Haselhoef (49) in a rare case of karma, died in a road accident, he got hit by a wrong way driver.
I can't find a single news article written in English.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am 

He was originally Surinam, moved to Netherlands at age 2,took classes in the Qu'Ran. After 9/11 he was often invited to talk shows to talk about the muslim view. He discredited himself when it turned out he hadn't taken proper classes to become an imam, when he said that homosexuals should be thrown off rooftops, and when he was found to have committed multiple million euro tax fraud.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

Actor Jackson Odell of TV's 'Goldbergs' found dead at 20

(CNN) Actor Jackson Odell, 20, was found unresponsive at a home in Tarzana, California on Friday, the LA County Medical Examiner's Office said.

An autopsy has not been performed, the office said.

Odell played Ari Caldwell on the TV sitcom "The Goldbergs," according to IMDb.com, and played Ted Durkas on two episodes of "Modern Family.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:07 am 

Thinman wrote:
sarbeez wrote:
Still fake news at this point.

according to wikipedia no fake news anymore :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 pm 

Elvis Presley Drummer D.J. Fontana Dead at 87

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame drummer played on countless Presley classics including "Blue Suede Shoes," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:12 pm 

Matt “Guitar” Murphy Dies: The Blues Brothers Guitarist And Noted Sideman Was 88

Matt “Guitar” Murphy, best known as one of the stalwarts of the Blues Brothers Band and a renowned sideman with Howlin’ Wolf, Memphis Slim, Muddy Waters, James Cotton and many others, has died. He was 88 and his death was confirmed by his nephew, Floyd Murphy Jr., on Facebook.

Murphy gained his biggest audience as a member of the band in the Blues Brothers movies, appearing as the beleagured husband of cafe owner Aretha Franklin, insisting that he was “the man” when Franklin objected to him re-joining the band.

Murphy appeared in the 1980 film and its follow-up, Blues Brothers 2000 (1998), both directed by John Landis. He played in the Blues Brothers Band with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd when the group played its eventual top 20 pop hit “Soul Man” on Saturday Night Live in 1978. He would perform with the band until the early 2000s, when he was slowed by a stroke.

Murphy was born in Sunflower, MI, in December 1929, moving to Memphis with his family when he was a toddler. Murphy and his brother, Floyd, became a fixture on the Memphis blues scene when they were in their teens, and Matt moved on to pick up a legendary résumé as a sideman for some of the greatest blues musicians ever. In the 1970s, he was best known as a sideman with harpist James Cotton before joining in the Blues Brothers.

Murphy fronted his own band starting in 1982 and toured up until recently. He played a reunion show with Cotton in 2010, and appeared at the April 2013 Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival at Madison Square Garden in New York.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XGGb07yJBM

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

nice!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Matt “Guitar” Murphy Dies: The Blues Brothers Guitarist And Noted Sideman Was 88

Matt “Guitar” Murphy, best known as one of the stalwarts of the Blues Brothers Band and a renowned sideman with Howlin’ Wolf, Memphis Slim, Muddy Waters, James Cotton and many others, has died. He was 88 and his death was confirmed by his nephew, Floyd Murphy Jr., on Facebook.

Murphy gained his biggest audience as a member of the band in the Blues Brothers movies, appearing as the beleagured husband of cafe owner Aretha Franklin, insisting that he was “the man” when Franklin objected to him re-joining the band.

Murphy appeared in the 1980 film and its follow-up, Blues Brothers 2000 (1998), both directed by John Landis. He played in the Blues Brothers Band with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd when the group played its eventual top 20 pop hit “Soul Man” on Saturday Night Live in 1978. He would perform with the band until the early 2000s, when he was slowed by a stroke.

Murphy was born in Sunflower, MI, in December 1929, moving to Memphis with his family when he was a toddler. Murphy and his brother, Floyd, became a fixture on the Memphis blues scene when they were in their teens, and Matt moved on to pick up a legendary résumé as a sideman for some of the greatest blues musicians ever. In the 1970s, he was best known as a sideman with harpist James Cotton before joining in the Blues Brothers.

Murphy fronted his own band starting in 1982 and toured up until recently. He played a reunion show with Cotton in 2010, and appeared at the April 2013 Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Guitar Festival at Madison Square Garden in New York.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

RIP Matt. You were one of the greats.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270  Next