Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 271  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:
This one hurts.....John Perry Barlow

http://variety.com/2018/music/obituarie ... 202691170/

RIP JPB..... :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:20 am 

john gavin, actor in psycho and spartacus, dies at 86.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 am 

'House of Cards' and 'The Wire' actor Reg E. Cathey dead at 59

An Alabama native who grew up in West Germany and studied at the Yale School for Drama, Cathey was a celebrated character actor for decades, first rising to prominence on PBS’ math-centric kids’ show Square One, which debuted in 1987. Later, he became a familiar face to fans of acclaimed HBO dramas, playing drug dealer Scalio on Simon’s miniseries The Corner and prison staffer Martin Querns on Oz before starring as political operative Norman Wilson in Seasons 4 and 5 of The Wire.

More recently, Cathey played Frank Underwood’s favorite D.C. rib cook Freddy Hayes on House of Cards, notching three consecutive Emmy nominations in the Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series category and winning the award in 2015. His other recent TV credits included Grimm, Lights Out, Law & Order: SVU and last year’s Oprah Winfrey-starring HBO movie The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0146146/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 am 

Marty Allen, Comedian and Daytime T.V. Favorite, Dies at 95

Marty Allen, the bug-eyed comic who formed one half of the hit comedic duo Allen & Rossi, died Monday night in Las Vegas at age 95.

The Associated Press confirmed the news via his spokeswoman Candi Cazau, who said that he died from complications from pneumonia with his performing partner of 30 years and wife Karon Kate Blackwell at his side.

Allen was well-known for his catchphrase “hello dere.” His career began in the 1950s, when he worked as an opening act with partner Mitch DeWood for Sarah Vaughan, Eydie Gorme, and Nat King Cole. After their partnership ended, Allen joined up with Steve Rossi to form Allen & Rossi, with whom he found fame.

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/marty- ... 202696418/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:31 am 

Tom Rapp, singer-songwriter and leader of Pearls Before Swine
And from the sublime to the not so sublime, vocalist Vic Damone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 am 

Former Dutch prime minister Ruud Lubbers (78)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm 

The Heroic High School Coach Who Acted As A Human Shield To Save Students

He is among the 17 victims.

People are crediting one high school football coach for saving dozens of lives after police said he used his body as a shield when Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida on Wednesday.

Assistant football coach Aaron Feis, 37, died Feb. 14 at the hospital after he was critically injured during the shooting. According to the Miami Herald, when Cruz started firing, Feis reportedly jumped in front of him to protect students.

“All my kids thought the world of him,” Douglas head football coach Willis May said. “All the graduates that played for us and even the students, man. They’d go on and on about how good he was to them and how he always had a smile for everybody. It’s sad."

Marshall Ramsey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:34 am 

French Jazz Violinist Didier Lockwood-RIP

https://www.independent.co.ug/french-ja ... s-aged-62/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:00 am 

Very sad, glad I could attend him here in Minas Gerais. RIP

Quote:
Lockwood's influences included fusion violinist Jean-Luc Ponty. He took up the electric violin after hearing Ponty play on the album King Kong: Jean-Luc Ponty Plays the Music of Frank Zappa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Lockwood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:04 am 

Ahem... Billy Graham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am 

Yup!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/21/billy-graham-christian-evangelist-dies-99

He never got caught...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm 

Laugh 'till you choke on...

Billy Graham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm 

Billy Graham met with every president, Democrat & Republican from Roosevelt to Obama. Would't meet with Don because why would he sully his run on a bum (note).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Laugh 'till you choke on...

Billy Graham

What a delusional SOB. To waste your life on a fantasy and bring so many more gullible fucks along for the ride. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:38 pm 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
The Heroic High School Coach Who Acted As A Human Shield To Save Students

He is among the 17 victims.

People are crediting one high school football coach for saving dozens of lives after police said he used his body as a shield when Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida on Wednesday.

Assistant football coach Aaron Feis, 37, died Feb. 14 at the hospital after he was critically injured during the shooting. According to the Miami Herald, when Cruz started firing, Feis reportedly jumped in front of him to protect students.

“All my kids thought the world of him,” Douglas head football coach Willis May said. “All the graduates that played for us and even the students, man. They’d go on and on about how good he was to them and how he always had a smile for everybody. It’s sad."

Marshall Ramsey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:26 am 

KUIII wrote:
What a delusional SOB. To waste your life on a fantasy and bring so many more gullible fucks along for the ride. :twisted:
Steve Breen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:46 pm 

I've seen the entire series, including the Comic Relief Specials. She was great. :cry:

Vicar of Dibley actress Emma Chambers dies aged 53

Actors Dawn French and Hugh Grant have led tributes to their former co-star Emma Chambers, who has died aged 53.

Known for playing Alice Tinker in The Vicar of Dibley, Doncaster-born Chambers also had roles in Notting Hill and a Martin Chuzzlewit adaptation.

Chambers died from natural causes on Wednesday evening and would be "greatly missed", her agent John Grant said.

"Emma created a wealth of characters and an immense body of work," he added.

She leaves a husband, fellow actor Ian Dunn.

French, who starred in The Vicar of Dibley alongside Chambers for 13 years, paid tribute to a "very bright spark and the most loyal and loving friend anyone could wish for".

"I will miss her very much", she said, while also posting a picture of the pair on Twitter.

Notting Hill star Hugh Grant, who played the older brother of Chambers' character Honey in the 1999 film, spoke of his sadness following the news, adding: "She brought laughter and joy to many."

Other well-wishers included Emma Freud, the partner of Richard Curtis, who created both the film and the TV comedy.

Chambers played the character of Alice Tinker, a village church verger, in The Vicar of Dibley between 1994 and 2007, with French in the title role.

In 1998, she won the British Comedy Award for best TV actress for her performance.

Jon Plowman, executive producer of the series and former head of comedy at the BBC, described Chambers as "bright and clever".

He said: "Emma was a gifted comic actress who made any part she played - no matter how ditzy or other worldly - look easy."

Chambers would go over every line to make sure she got the rhythm and the tone of the lunatic she was playing, says Paul Mayhew-Archer, co-writer of the Vicar of Dibley.

He told BBC Radio 5 live that despite most comedy series having an idiot, "she made Alice a completely unique, very special idiot".

"The joy of the scenes with Emma and Dawn is they never went wrong, so you just got these wonderful first takes - so you got all that original energy transferred straight on to the screen - it was a joy."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 pm 

^^^^^ :( ^^^^^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:34 am 

On Wednesday, February 28th at 9:13 PM PST, my beautiful mother Eleanor passed peacefully after a long illness. We were all there to send her off and it was a relief and a blessing that after two weeks of suffering, her last breath was quiet and calm, and she never looked lovelier, if that makes any sense. Since no relatives will be coming out of town, we won't be having a funeral service...seeing as those are more for other people than the person who passed sometimes. So, it'll be the sibs and their spouses and possibly kids at the house watching old slides and sharing memories, like we have been for the last four days...sending her off in style. It'll probably hit me in a few days, but right now, I feel relaxed and a bit at peace myself. She was a wonderful woman who raised (with our dad) us kids right and was loved by so many.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:54 am 

So sorry for your loss dove_grey !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 am 

dove_grey wrote:
On Wednesday, February 28th at 9:13 PM PST, my beautiful mother Eleanor passed peacefully after a long illness. We were all there to send her off and it was a relief and a blessing that after two weeks of suffering, her last breath was quiet and calm, and she never looked lovelier, if that makes any sense. Since no relatives will be coming out of town, we won't be having a funeral service...seeing as those are more for other people than the person who passed sometimes. So, it'll be the sibs and their spouses and possibly kids at the house watching old slides and sharing memories, like we have been for the last four days...sending her off in style. It'll probably hit me in a few days, but right now, I feel relaxed and a bit at peace myself. She was a wonderful woman who raised (with our dad) us kids right and was loved by so many.

My heart goes out to you and yours dovey, you've had a long journey.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 am 

My deepest condolences, dove.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:04 am 

We're here for you, Dovey.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:46 am 

Dove you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. ..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 am 

I'm terribly sorry, Dove...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6751 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 271  Next