Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 305  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:28 pm 

Holy Crap, what's going on. I just get his box set this week and was catching up on his stuff. I saw that he was playing recently too. So sad. I saw him last about two and a half years ago. He looked heavier than I'd ever seen him but he was as brilliant as ever.

The same thing happened when John Wetton died the day after I received the U.K. box.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:39 pm 

Please, KUIII, don't buy Yes or King Crimson related stuff... :|

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:55 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Please, KUIII, don't buy Yes or King Crimson related stuff... :|

My I recommend the new Bieber release KU'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 am 

Dweezil's blog on Allan. - http://www.dweezilzappa.com/posts/19833 ... holdsworth

Bill Bruford - With enormous sadness I write to express my condolences to Allan's family on the loss of a much-loved father and grandfather, my friend and colleague. For several years in the 1970s, through my own band and 'UK', I listened to him nightly, launching sheets of sound on an unsuspecting audience, changing perceptions about what guitars and guitarists should or could be doing, thrilling me half to death.I would have paid to be at my own gig.

Allan wasn't easy, but if it was easy it wouldn't have been Allan. Like all creative musicians he was restless and relentless in pursuit of 'the perfect sound', the one that he couldn't get out of his head, the one that would never leave him alone. Now he will be at peace. Still, my guitar gently weeps.

Bill Bruford

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:03 pm 

Of all of the recent huge losses in the music world, this news about Allan Holdsworth is hitting the hardest since Frank Zappa's passing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:11 pm 

Damn. I'm so tired of the greats dying on us.

Holdsworth was a really good one. I especially like his more melodic earlier stuff..... Ponty, Soft Machine, Gong, Bruford....

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 pm 

Fucking hell. Wetton, now Holdsworth. :evil:

On a positive note, this makes the new UK Ultimate Collector's Edition box set all the more enjoyable...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 am 

Oh shit. Holdsworth was a master in every dimension. You could hear it was him from just a few notes. I am so happy I saw him (for the first and last time) with his trio a few years back. I think it is 3-4 years ago, and he did look a bit frail, but when the music got going he was flying.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:31 pm 

Erin Moran, Joanie in 'Happy Days,' dies at 56

NEW YORK -- Erin Moran, the former child star who played Joanie Cunningham in the sitcoms "Happy Days" and "Joanie Loves Chachi," died Saturday at age 56.
A statement from the sheriff's department in Harrison County, Indiana, said the dispatcher "received a 911 call about an unresponsive female. Upon arrival of first responders, it was determined that Erin Moran Fleischmann was deceased. An autopsy is pending."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/eri ... -1.3380946

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Erin Moran, Joanie in 'Happy Days,' dies at 56

NEW YORK -- Erin Moran, the former child star who played Joanie Cunningham in the sitcoms "Happy Days" and "Joanie Loves Chachi," died Saturday at age 56.
A statement from the sheriff's department in Harrison County, Indiana, said the dispatcher "received a 911 call about an unresponsive female. Upon arrival of first responders, it was determined that Erin Moran Fleischmann was deceased. An autopsy is pending."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/eri ... -1.3380946

:(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:35 pm 

Jonathan Demme

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/jonath ... 201809289/

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm 

^ Ah, shit. and we were just referencing Roger Corman over on the Story one word at a time thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
^ Ah, shit. and we were just referencing Roger Corman over on the Story one word at a time thread.

I think #14 wants me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:37 pm 

Damn, Demme was another great one. SHIT!!

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 pm 

I read how ill he was....cancer just sucks, I'm telling you. Loved his movies and I thought he seemed like a funny man and sure picked some talent in his later films. Horrible loss. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:37 am 

Col Bruce Hampton - 1947 -2017

Col. Bruce Hampton dies hours after 70th birthday celebration at the Fox Theatre

Hours after a star-studded birthday celebration at the Fox Theatre Monday night, Col. Bruce Hampton passed away.

Atlanta’s “Granddaddy of the Jam Scene” turned 70 on April 30 and performed at the “Hampton 70” gathering in his honor.

During the show’s encore of “Turn on Your Lovelight,” Hampton collapsed onstage. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he died. No other details are available at this time.

Around 7:50 p.m., Hampton opened the sold-out concert to celebrate his birthday milestone and appeared locked in a groove with his backing band as he sang with his eyes closed and his knee bouncing to the beat.

During the four-hour show, musicians who came to honor his legacy – which included the avant-garde Hampton Grease Band, Aquarium Rescue Unit and The Codetalkers – included Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, John Popper, Oliver Wood, Dave Schools, Chuck Leavell, guitar prodigy Brandon Niederauer and many other rock and jam band luminaries.

Just before 3 a.m., Trucks and Tedeschi posted a notice on their Facebook page from Hampton’s family, confirming his death.

Hampton, born Gustav Valentine Berglund III, enjoyed a varied career that ranged from his progressive jazz-rock leanings to appearing in a 2014 video for “Blockbuster Night, Pt. 1” with rap act Run the Jewels.

Hampton was also the subject of a documentary, “Basically Frightened: The Musical Madness of Col. Bruce Hampton, Ret.,” that premiered at the Atlanta Film Festival in March 2012.

Earlier this year, AJC freelancer Jon Waterhouse wrote an in-depth profile of Hampton that focused on his weekly residency at the Vista Room in Oak Grove.

In the story, Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ frontman Kevn Kinney refers to Hampton as “a legend.”

“People don’t understand how far back he goes,” Kinney said. “He’s just the ultimate showman. He’s our P.T. Barnum. You never know when he’s going to pop out of the jack in the box.”

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/02/co ... x-theatre/

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:36 am 

Brazilian musicians Jerry Adriani and Belchior, passed away these days...

Also, José Carlos, the family Poodle, 17 years old, was put to sleep eternally. RIP, amigo querido... :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:05 pm 

Meus condolonces sobre a perda de seu amigo da família.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

+1 loss of a pet is big... :(

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:46 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Also, José Carlos, the family Poodle, 17 years old, was put to sleep eternally. RIP, amigo querido... :cry:

Plook wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

+1 loss of a pet is big... :(

+1 more.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:04 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Col Bruce Hampton - 1947 -2017

Col. Bruce Hampton dies hours after 70th birthday celebration at the Fox Theatre

Hours after a star-studded birthday celebration at the Fox Theatre Monday night, Col. Bruce Hampton passed away.

Atlanta’s “Granddaddy of the Jam Scene” turned 70 on April 30 and performed at the “Hampton 70” gathering in his honor.

During the show’s encore of “Turn on Your Lovelight,” Hampton collapsed onstage. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he died. No other details are available at this time.

Around 7:50 p.m., Hampton opened the sold-out concert to celebrate his birthday milestone and appeared locked in a groove with his backing band as he sang with his eyes closed and his knee bouncing to the beat.

During the four-hour show, musicians who came to honor his legacy – which included the avant-garde Hampton Grease Band, Aquarium Rescue Unit and The Codetalkers – included Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, John Popper, Oliver Wood, Dave Schools, Chuck Leavell, guitar prodigy Brandon Niederauer and many other rock and jam band luminaries.

Just before 3 a.m., Trucks and Tedeschi posted a notice on their Facebook page from Hampton’s family, confirming his death.

Hampton, born Gustav Valentine Berglund III, enjoyed a varied career that ranged from his progressive jazz-rock leanings to appearing in a 2014 video for “Blockbuster Night, Pt. 1” with rap act Run the Jewels.

Hampton was also the subject of a documentary, “Basically Frightened: The Musical Madness of Col. Bruce Hampton, Ret.,” that premiered at the Atlanta Film Festival in March 2012.

Earlier this year, AJC freelancer Jon Waterhouse wrote an in-depth profile of Hampton that focused on his weekly residency at the Vista Room in Oak Grove.

In the story, Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ frontman Kevn Kinney refers to Hampton as “a legend.”

“People don’t understand how far back he goes,” Kinney said. “He’s just the ultimate showman. He’s our P.T. Barnum. You never know when he’s going to pop out of the jack in the box.”

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2017/05/02/co ... x-theatre/

The Hampton Grease Band was the opening act for the Mothers at the Fillmore East in 1971 for those famous shows. I can't remember the details but supposedly Bruce auditioned for Zappa at some point. That documentary that they reference is pretty good. I don't necessarily believe in such things but supposedly he had an uncanny (even supernatural) knack at predicting things. I wondered if he prophesized his death. Dying onstage on his 70th birthday seems to fall in line with his mythology.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:14 am 

RIP José Carlos

Sending a bunch of high octane positive vibes to you and the G_G family

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 am 

Kevin Garcia (41), bassist of Grandaddy.

Sorry to hear about your poodle, GG, he's beautiful...

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:50 am 

Obrigado, amigos!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:32 pm 

Mario Maglieri – an owner of famed Sunset Strip clubs Rainbow Bar and Grill, The Roxy Theatre and Whisky a Go Go – died on Thursday. He was 93.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 240, 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246 ... 305  Next