Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 305  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 am 

dove_grey wrote:
damn arcee...another one of the good ones gone! he was one of my faves over there. soft-spoken, intelligent, great voice...and not too hard on the eyes. definately will be missed. :cry:
This concludes it for good (As if we all didn't know this before now.): All the assholes are going to have very long life spans and easily live past 90. The ones you want to see stay around are going to die many years before the average age at which the assholes die.

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:37 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
dove_grey wrote:
damn arcee...another one of the good ones gone! he was one of my faves over there. soft-spoken, intelligent, great voice...and not too hard on the eyes. definately will be missed. :cry:
This concludes it for good (As if we all didn't know this before now.): All the assholes are going to have very long life spans and easily live past 90. The ones you want to see stay around are going to die many years before the average age at which the assholes die.

--Batchain

Only the good die young...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:26 pm 

Jack Palance, the craggy-faced menace in Shane,Sudden Fear and other films who turned to comedy at 70 with his Oscar-winning role in City Slickers, died Friday.
Palance died of natural causes at his home in Montecito, Calif., surrounded by family, said spokesman Dick Guttman. Palance was 85 according to Associated Press records. The family indicated he was 87.

When Palance accepted his Oscar for best supporting actor he delighted viewers of the 1992 Academy Awards by dropping to the stage and performing one-armed push-ups to demonstrate his physical prowess.

"That's nothing, really," he said slyly. "As far as two-handed push-ups, you can do that all night, and it doesn't make a difference whether she's there or not."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:36 pm 

When he said that something was "gargantuan" on Ripley's Believe It Or Not, you believed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:38 pm 

arrcee wrote:

Jack Palance, the craggy-faced menace in Shane,Sudden Fear and other films who turned to comedy at 70 with his Oscar-winning role in City Slickers, died Friday.
Palance died of natural causes at his home in Montecito, Calif., surrounded by family, said spokesman Dick Guttman. Palance was 85 according to Associated Press records. The family indicated he was 87.

When Palance accepted his Oscar for best supporting actor he delighted viewers of the 1992 Academy Awards by dropping to the stage and performing one-armed push-ups to demonstrate his physical prowess.

"That's nothing, really," he said slyly. "As far as two-handed push-ups, you can do that all night, and it doesn't make a difference whether she's there or not."

AW DAM! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:02 pm 
Banned

This MOTHER FUCKER should have died a long damn time ago!! :evil:

:twisted: HAIL AMNERIKA!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:37 pm 

geez, whenever arcee posts in this thread it just ain't no good! palance was the man. "i crap guys like you for breakfast"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:51 pm 

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:

This MOTHER FUCKER should have died a long damn time ago!! :evil:
Is he really proving that at least sometimes there really is life-after-death? It wouldn't be hard to go digging and find over-20-years-dead cadavers that don't look as cadaverous as that walking corpse.

--Bat :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 pm 

I think that picture is artwork, not photograph.

cool fuckin image tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:06 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
geez, whenever arcee posts in this thread it just ain't no good! palance was the man. "i crap guys like you for breakfast"
Yes, he was! Today's crop of actors are so different from those of Jack Palance's day because they have no character, nothing distinctive about them, and they're are all beginning to look indistinguishably the same. You have to have the look today or just forget it!

--Bat (Sad to see Jack go but he left a lot behind.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 pm 

punknaynowned wrote:

cool fuckin image tho
It likely is or it's digitally enhanced for horror movie effect but they couldn't have found a better subject for it! :lol: (I like the [natural?] effect of that image.)

--Bat :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:02 pm 

Singer Gerald Levert, a rhythm and blues talent known for his fiery voice, is dead at 40. The Cleveland-based performer was the son of O'Jays singer Eddie Levert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:28 am 

dove_grey wrote:

Sorry, Dove. It is not my intention to become the primary bearer of bad tidings. But someone's gotta do it now that jimmie_d is slacking off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:05 pm 

Milton Friedman: Free Market Thinker

The American economist, Professor Milton Friedman, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1976, has been called the high priest of monetarism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6156098.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:43 am 

Hungary legend Puskas dies at 79

Hungary and Real Madrid legend Ferenc Puskas has died at the age of 79.

Puskas led Hungary's greatest team

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6155766.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:15 pm 

Glenn E. (Bo) Schembechler

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Bo Schembechler, who became one of college football's great coaches in two decades at Michigan, died Friday after taping a TV show on the eve of the Wolverines' No. 1 vs. No. 2 showdown with perennial rival Ohio State. He was 77.

Schembechler collapsed at the studios of WXYZ-TV in the Detroit suburb and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. His death at 11:42 a.m. was confirmed by Mike Dowd, chief investigator for the medical examiner's office in Oakland County.

The seven-time Big Ten coach of the year compiled a 194-48-5 record at Michigan from 1969-89. Schembechler's record in 26 years of coaching was 234-65-8.

Schembechler was an intense disciplinarian and his gruff persona belied his devotion to his players, both during and after their playing days in Ann Arbor.

"Recruiting is the worst part of college football," he wrote. "I no longer look forward to it. I can't wait until it's over. It makes me feel like a pimp."

The George S. Patton of college football 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 pm 

arrcee wrote:

Shit ! I didn't notice it. He was a great actor. Shane is one of my favs movies. I appreciated his appearence in a lot of other movies. I think he was quite underrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:23 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:

Glenn E. (Bo) Schembechler

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Bo Schembechler, who became one of college football's great coaches in two decades at Michigan, died Friday after taping a TV show on the eve of the Wolverines' No. 1 vs. No. 2 showdown with perennial rival Ohio State. He was 77.

Schembechler collapsed at the studios of WXYZ-TV in the Detroit suburb and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. His death at 11:42 a.m. was confirmed by Mike Dowd, chief investigator for the medical examiner's office in Oakland County.

The seven-time Big Ten coach of the year compiled a 194-48-5 record at Michigan from 1969-89. Schembechler's record in 26 years of coaching was 234-65-8.

Schembechler was an intense disciplinarian and his gruff persona belied his devotion to his players, both during and after their playing days in Ann Arbor.

"Recruiting is the worst part of college football," he wrote. "I no longer look forward to it. I can't wait until it's over. It makes me feel like a pimp."

The George S. Patton of college football 8)

And just before the big game between two classic rivalries, Michigan vs Ohio State.

Very sad day for Michigan fans. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:51 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

The American economist, Professor Milton Friedman, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1976, has been called the high priest of monetarism.

Thanks MGG for pulling my attention to "this one"!!!

His death has been completely ignored in my media (Denmark). Working in the economics profession, you just can't escape him. And he really did a LOT of pathbreaking stuff. It is so unfair that some politicians (especially female in Great Britain in the 1980s) got associated with his name to an extent where he almost got the label "fascist" and worse. He was a powerhouse of macroeconomics from 1950s to 1970s. So please judge the man for his work, and not for what his (sometimes ignorant) followers do. He is surely one of the all-time greatest economists. Irrespective of political standpoint, but from a purely point of science!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:57 am 

punknaynowned wrote:

cool fuckin image tho

I think it is a real photo. And it reminds me of Jane Curtain's remark after doing a skit with him on SNL in the 1970s. She said something like, "Gee, this was the first time I acted with a dead man" (Richards was so stoned that he probably had no clue as to what, or where he was doing)

I am amazed that he is STILL alive.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:15 am 

HJ wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Thanks MGG for pulling my attention to "this one"!!!

Cool, have you seen the Corporation movie documentary? He gives his contribution there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:32 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
punknaynowned wrote:

cool fuckin image tho
It likely is or it's digitally enhanced for horror movie effect but they couldn't have found a better subject for it! :lol: (I like the [natural?] effect of that image.)

--Bat :wink:
it is artwork :wink:

http://www.irancartoon.com/100/kruger/index08.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:23 am 
Banned

Ruth Brown, R&B singer who won Grammy, Tony awards, dead at 78

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ruth Brown, whose recordings of "Teardrops in My Eyes," "5-10-15 Hours" and "(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean" shot her to rhythm-and-blues stardom in the 1950s, died Friday. She was 78.

Brown, who later in life won a Grammy, died of complications from a stroke and heart attack at a Las Vegas-area hospital, said Lindajo Loftus, a publicist for the Rhythm & Blues Foundation.

Brown's soulful voice produced dozens of hits for Atlantic Records, cementing the fledgling record label's reputation as an R&B powerhouse.

But as R&B and rock 'n' roll fell out of style in the late 1950s, Brown and her musical contemporaries were forced into retirement. She spent most of the 1960s raising her two sons alone and earning a living as a maid, school bus driver and teacher.

Brown enjoyed a career renaissance in the mid-70s when she began recording blues and jazz tunes for a variety of labels and found success on the stage and in movies.

She won acclaim in the R&B musical Staggerlee and won a Tony Award for best actress in the Broadway revue "Black and Blue."

She also played a feisty deejay in the 1988 cult movie Hairspray. A year later, she won a Grammy for best jazz vocal performance for the album Blues on Broadway.

Brown continued to perform and record in her later years, becoming a popular host of National Public Radio's "Harlem Hit Parade."

She also formed the Rhythm & Blues Foundation, a Philadelphia-based nonprofit dedicated to providing financial and medical assistance for aging R&B musicians.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:28 am 

Robert Altman died :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 pm 

Damn... beat me to Altman.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 305  Next