Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 306  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:48 pm 

ED BENEDICT.

He was the Hanna-Barbera designer who created the look of The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound and others.

More info at cartoonbrew.com

Earlier this evening I received word from Van Partible and David Sheldon that animation legend Ed Benedict passed away in his sleep this past Monday at age 94. Per Ed's wishes, there will be no service of any kind. He will be cremated and his ashes scattered over Carmel Bay, where his wife Alice's ashes were also spread.

It's a difficult time to be an animation fan as slowly the last of the greats of animation's Golden Age have been dying. With Ed gone, only a handful of the industry's giants remain, including Joe Barbera, Bill Melendez, Bill Littlejohn, Ollie Johnston, Jack Zander, and a few others. But back to Ed, his career was long and illustrious, not to mention fairly unconventional, including an attempt to start his own studio in the 1930s and involvement in very early TV commercials. He began at Disney in 1930 and animated on the studio's early films like THE CHINA PLATE and BLUE RHYTHM. In 1933, he moved to Universal where he worked on Walter Lantz's Oswald shorts. For much of the 1930s he was at Universal, though he also worked a stint at Mintz and briefly started his own studio, Benedict-Brewer, in partnership with Jerry Brewer. He returned to Disney in the early-1940s where he did layout on various industrial/educational films like ENVIROMENTAL SANITATION and DAWN OF BETTER LIVING. During this time, he also received his first and only Disney credit as a layout artist on MAKE MINE MUSIC. In the mid-1940s, he entered the world of TV commercial animation at Paul Fennell's Cartoon Films, which is where he first began exploring the more modernized approach to drawing that would serve him well in the following decades.

In 1952, Benedict was recruited by his former Universal colleague Tex Avery to become Avery's lead layout artist and designer at MGM. Ed designed a number of Avery's classic shorts including DIXIELAND DROOPY, FIELD AND SCREAM, THE FIRST BAD MAN, DEPUTY DROOPY and CELLBOUND. After Avery left MGM, Benedict continued working at the studio on the Mike Lah-directed Droopy shorts, while also freelancing for Avery on TV commercials at Cascade. While at MGM, Ed's work caught the eyes of Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera. Hanna asked Benedict to design a dog and a cat for a TV project, which turned out to be the first Hanna-Barbera TV series THE RUFF AND REDDY SHOW. During the late-1950s and early-1960s, Benedict became the primary designer for Hanna-Barbera and he designed most of the studio's early stars including Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, The Flintstones, Snagglepuss and countless others. It would not be an exaggeration to say that a large part of H-B's success in TV animation is owed to Benedict's incredibly appealing and fun character designs. Ed moved to Carmel, California in the 1960s and continued freelancing for various studios during the 1960s and '70s before retiring.

Ed's passing is made a litle easier knowing that he was appreciated and recognized for his accomplishments during his lifetime, which is something that can't be said for a lot of other animation artists. Ed has countless admirers throughout the animation and illustration communities including John Kricfalusi, David Sheldon, Van Partible, Jordan Reichek, Craig Kellman and Gabe Swarr, to name but a few. The influence of his work is readily apparent in countless cartoons being created today, a testament to the lasting quality of his work.

On a personal note, I have to say that Ed was certainly one of the most memorable of the artists that I've interviewed over the years. He was a study in contrasts. He made it very clear that he disliked the Hanna Barbera TV cartoons, the work that he was most known for, and that he didn't care particularly that people liked his work so much. And yet, you could hardly find a person more passionate when it came to discussing art, design and animation. I had the opportunity to visit Ed a few times in northern California, and I can't ever remember a visit lasting less than ten hours. Ed would keep you enthralled with a fascinating range of opinions on every conceivable topic from why organs sound better than pianos to lamenting the deteriorated state of contemporary car design. On the surface, Ed might have seemed indifferent, but his theories on such a variety of topics revealed years of careful observation and analysis of his surroundings. It's only fitting that the designer of so many classic animation characters would himself have such a depth of personal character.

If you have personal remembrances of Ed Benedict or were influenced by his work, please feel free to leave comments in this Cartoon Modern post and I'll try to make sure it's forwarded to his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:42 pm 

STEVE IRWIN - CROCODILE HUNTER

Killed by a stingray

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ste ... 51512.html

CRIKEY!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:52 pm 

man, that's too bad. but did we not see this coming? funny fellow, tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:26 pm 

:shock: I gotta admit, I thought it was a joke because it just seemed like such a perfectly predictable way for him to bite the dust. It also reminds me of the stupid saying "Well at least he died doing what he loved"

Although he could get on my nerves at times, he always had an upbeat way of looking at things. He was fun to watch in small doses.

RIP Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:33 pm 

Great guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:42 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
:shock: I gotta admit, I thought it was a joke because it just seemed like such a perfectly predictable way for him to bite the dust.

I think his death has been reported before, and then it turned out that he wasn´t dead after all. So I thought it was a joke too... perhaps a morbid gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:08 am 

Uncle Bernie wrote:

'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin killed

Australian naturalist and television personality Steve Irwin has been killed by a stingray during a diving expedition off the Australian coast.

Mr Irwin, 44, died after being struck in the chest by the stingray's barb while he was filming a documentary in Queensland's Great Barrier Reef.

Paramedics from Cairns rushed to the scene but were unable to save him.

Mr Irwin was known for his television show The Crocodile Hunter and his work with native Australian wildlife.

Police in Queensland confirmed the environmentalist's death and said his family had been notified. Mr Irwin was married with two young children.

"It is believed that Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung by a stingray at Batt Reef off Port Douglas at about 1100 (0100 GMT)," a police statement quoted by AFP news agency said.

"His crew called for medical treatment and the Queensland medical helicopter responded. However Mr Irwin had died."

The stingray is a flat, triangular-shaped fish, commonly found in tropical waters.

It gets its name from the razor-sharp barb at the end of its tail, coated in toxic venom, which the animal uses to defend itself with when it feels threatened.

Attacks on humans are a rarity - only one other person is known to have died in Australia from a stingray attack, at St Kilda, Melbourne in 1945.

"Stingrays only sting in defence, they're not aggressive animals so the animal must have felt threatened. It didn't sting out of aggression, it stung out of fear," Dr Bryan Fry, Deputy Director of the Australian Venom Research Unit at the University of Melbourne said.

Baby stunt

Experts say that while painful, stingray venom is rarely lethal and it would have been the wound caused by the barb itself, which could measure up to 20cm long, which proved fatal.

"What happened to Steve Irwin is like being stabbed in the heart. It has little to do with the venom and all to do with the trauma caused by the barb of the stingray," Dr Geoff Isbister, a clinical toxinologist at the Mater Hospital in Newcastle, Australia, said.

Mr Irwin had built up what was a small reptile park in Queensland into what is now Australia Zoo, a major centre for Australian wildlife.

He was famous for handling dangerous creatures such as crocodiles, snakes and spiders, and his documentaries on his work with crocodiles drew a worldwide audience.

But he also courted controversy with a series of stunts.

He sparked outrage across Australia after cradling his one-month-old son a metre away from the reptile during a show at Australia Zoo.

An investigation was launched into whether Mr Irwin and his team interacted too closely with penguins and whales while filming in the Antarctic, but no action was taken.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer praised Mr Irwin for his work to promote Australia.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Mr Downer's spokesman said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5311298.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:19 am 

Lasse Myrvold, Norwegian musician/composer, known from the rock group "The Aller Værste" (and other groups), died yesterday at age 53... from prostate cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:38 am 

steve irwin was a legend! really sad.. :(

he probably used more than his fair share of 9 lives on the way though..

Post subject: steve Irwin just died
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:23 am 
Banned

Australian naturalist and animal-lover Steve Irwin has died after being struck in the chest by a stingray's barb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:28 am 

Uncle Bernie wrote:

Killed by a stingray

Now, that's sad. He did so much good for animals.

His TV-"shows" were always a pleasure to watch.

Last edited by Lumpy Gravy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:29 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:

Australian naturalist and animal-lover Steve Irwin has died after being struck in the chest by a stingray's barb.

what?
poor guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
Uncle Bernie wrote:

Killed by a stingray

Now, that's sad. He did so much good for animals.

His TV-"shows" were always a pleasure to watch.

It is very sad. He did a great deal for animals, I agree. Died what he loved doing didn't he.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:16 pm 

i'll admit my eyes watered at the news of his death. animal planet/discovery are the few channels i watch he was a great man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:08 pm 

yes a great man who took a one month baby to play with crocks :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:09 pm 

aspy_2nd_bunch wrote:
Died what he loved doing didn't he.

-no comment-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:11 pm 

cleon wrote:

I just saw that clip. It is quite innocent imo, and completely blown out of proportions. Michael Jackson is much better at endangering babies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:26 am 

HJ wrote:
cleon wrote:

I just saw that clip. It is quite innocent imo, and completely blown out of proportions. Michael Jackson is much better at endangering babies.

I just saw it and thought quite the opposite... Just a matter of opinion I always thought the way he dealt with the snakes and crocodiles on his show was cruel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:55 am 

HJ wrote:
cleon wrote:

I agree. He knew exactly what he was doing, and had it all under control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:45 am 

BBP wrote:
I just saw it and thought quite the opposite... Just a matter of opinion I always thought the way he dealt with the snakes and crocodiles on his show was cruel.

Sure, sometimes things could appear rather violent, and I am not in a position to tell whether it actually was. I guess I am merely judging "in his favor" here, because I don't think he was just some crazy guy trying to get his one shot at fame by hurting some animals (and babies) in dramatic ways. For that to have been the case, he could not have stayed on for such a long time. Also, it was my understanding that he had a quite good reputation for trying to protect animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:55 am 

HJ wrote:
Also, it was my understanding that he had a quite good reputation for trying to protect animals.

He did, he started many breeding programmes to save endangered species, as well as opening Australia Zoo with his wife. Some quotes from him I found..

"I consider myself a wild-life warrior. My mission is to save the world's endangered species."

"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... So whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I'll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?
There are people who butt out their cigarettes in gorilla-paw ashtrays, with wastepaper baskets that were once elephant feet, who have ivory ornaments… who wear cheetah fur. Don't buy these things! Then there'll be no market and the animals won't be killed.

We have domesticated livestock raised for consumption and perfectly good fake leather and fur, so why must we kill wild animals to satisfy the macabre taste of some rich person?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:51 am 

One report I heard said the ray's barb pierced his heart. He pulled out the barb, and then died.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:43 am 

arrcee wrote:

One report I heard said the ray's barb pierced his heart. He pulled out the barb, and then died.

Apparently it struck him in the chest, and the toxins, because they were released directly into his chest cavity, went straight to his internal organs causing them to fail. Apparently if it had stung his leg or his arm or something his survival chances would have been higher.

Blueyonder News wrote:
"According to the BBC, reports in the Australian press and elsewhere on Tuesday, Mr Irwin's manager, John Stainton told reporters that he had seen the footage of Mr Irwin's death and that it had shown the man known as the Crocodile Hunter pull the barb from his chest.

However, speaking in a telephone interview with CNN that aired late on Monday, Mr Stainton denied that this was the case. "

So, who knows eh? Apparently Irwin always said to his fellow crew, if he should ever die on camera or be hurt by an animal, they should continue filming as it would be "sad" if his death was not captured on camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:29 am 

HJ wrote:
BBP wrote:

Sure, sometimes things could appear rather violent, and I am not in a position to tell whether it actually was. I guess I am merely judging "in his favor" here, because I don't think he was just some crazy guy trying to get his one shot at fame by hurting some animals (and babies) in dramatic ways. For that to have been the case, he could not have stayed on for such a long time. Also, it was my understanding that he had a quite good reputation for trying to protect animals.
I just hate the fact that he'll always be remembered with the blemish that he was an irresponsible, out-of-focus fool who put a six-week-old baby in harm's way with a crocodile. That really sucks.
But the truth is he did know how to handle these animals expertly and was careful never to harm them even though he often gave the appearance of mishandling them.

Of note: The second to last time I saw him on the Letterman Show, Letterman asked him about the then-current anthrax scare and he aptly replied, "I've always been coming into contact with it for years. I just shower it off and it's never been any problem at all."
That sure wasn't what the Bush-led US Gov't. wanted anyone to hear especially at that time! But it was said too much in passing for many to have noticed just exactly what he said and that he really did know just what he was talking about.

--Batchain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:05 am 

Batchain1001 wrote:
I just hate the fact that he'll always be remembered with the blemish that he was an irresponsible, out-of-focus fool who put a six-week-old baby in harm's way with a crocodile. That really sucks.

i don't think of him like that! but then us lot think different to most.. hehe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 306  Next